The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lost midi input to instruments
Old 3 weeks ago
  #1
Lost midi input to instruments

Looking for a little help, please!

I have been having serious issues with midi (regarding syncing external synths) but have managed to resolve them. However, I now cant send midi from my keyboard to control anything inside cubase.

When I press a key on the keyboard I can see the midi activity (note on/off) going in to Cubase on the indicator on the bottom right of the project window, to the right of the transport bar. However, there is no midi activity going in to virtual instruments, so no sound at all when using the keyboard (Retrologue's midi activity light does not blink at all). I can't get the keyboard to trigger anything via USB-midi or DIN-midi using my midi interface.

I am using a Korg Minilogue XD as my master keyboard and sending note on/off was working as expected, even when having issues syncing the sequencers of the XD and TR8S to cubase. The XD sequencer, in particular, was going bananas but I managed to find the issue within Windows midi port settings using the Korg driver uninstall utility. This showed that my audio interface and TR8S were both using several ports instead of one each. I don't know how this happened as I have recently upgraded my PC and clean installed windows but I have cleaned it up and all my syncing issues have been resolved. However, I lost the ability to get midi into the tracks using the keyboard during one of the times my sequencers were going bonkers.

I have restored factory settings on the XD. The XD will trigger the TR8S when connecting the two instruments directly which makes me think the issue is within Cubase. I did mess about with lots of settings when trying to resolve this issue but I have since reverted to default preferences and I still can't get midi into the tracks.

Does anyone know how I can resolve this. All midi settings appear to be set correctly from what I can tell, but I am certainly no expert.

Thanks in advance.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #2
Here for the gear
Hi, what are your MIDI routing settings? If you chose "All MIDI inputs" verify that your USB devices or MIDI IN ports are configured to be part of this kind of routing: https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_ar...ting_up_t.html

If this is not the problem have you checked the MIDI channel? It must be the same on your device and in your MIDI or instrument track.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBontempi View Post
Hi, what are your MIDI routing settings? If you chose "All MIDI inputs" verify that your USB devices or MIDI IN ports are configured to be part of this kind of routing: https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_ar...ting_up_t.html

If this is not the problem have you checked the MIDI channel? It must be the same on your device and in your MIDI or instrument track.
Thanks for your reply. All the routings are good and midi channels matched. Not claiming to be an expert but have set this up successfully several times.

As I said, it was working as intended and then stopped working without changing any settings in Cubase. When it stopped working I had the synth output routed to an audio track in Cubase and the local Sw switched off on the synth so that the keyboard did not trigger the sound engine directly. I triggered the synth via a midi track in Cubase and monitored the synth through Cubase. I set it up this way so when I selected another track in Cubase the synth keyboard would trigger the selected track and not the synth.

When I synced the synth sequencer to cubase, via midi clock in cubase synchronisation page, it would run fine unless I had the midi track feeding the synth selected in the project window. When I did the sequencer would go crazy and I would sometimes have to reboot the synth to get it to behave normally again. It was during one of these freak outs when this keyboard issue occured and I have been unable to get it working again since.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by dippy egg View Post
Thanks for your reply. All the routings are good and midi channels matched. Not claiming to be an expert but have set this up successfully several times.

As I said, it was working as intended and then stopped working without changing any settings in Cubase. When it stopped working I had the synth output routed to an audio track in Cubase and the local Sw switched off on the synth so that the keyboard did not trigger the sound engine directly. I triggered the synth via a midi track in Cubase and monitored the synth through Cubase. I set it up this way so when I selected another track in Cubase the synth keyboard would trigger the selected track and not the synth.

When I synced the synth sequencer to cubase, via midi clock in cubase synchronisation page, it would run fine unless I had the midi track feeding the synth selected in the project window. When I did the sequencer would go crazy and I would sometimes have to reboot the synth to get it to behave normally again. It was during one of these freak outs when this keyboard issue occured and I have been unable to get it working again since.
Ok, let's see if I understood correctly. You have:

A Cubase MIDI track > the track's MIDI output routing set to your external synth > the audio generated by the external synth back into an audio track of Cubase. Is it ok?

I think that it's more likely that the problem is to be found on the synth than in Cubase. Do you have the possibility to send another MIDI signal to the synth (without using Cubase), to check whether or not this is the case? Another option could be to take the thru port of your synth, connect it to a Cubase MIDI track input, load on that track the MIDI Monitor in insert and check what messages are sent to the external synth.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBontempi View Post
Ok, let's see if I understood correctly. You have:

A Cubase MIDI track > the track's MIDI output routing set to your external synth > the audio generated by the external synth back into an audio track of Cubase. Is it ok?

I think that it's more likely that the problem is to be found on the synth than in Cubase. Do you have the possibility to send another MIDI signal to the synth (without using Cubase), to check whether or not this is the case? Another option could be to take the thru port of your synth, connect it to a Cubase MIDI track input, load on that track the MIDI Monitor in insert and check what messages are sent to the external synth.
I seem to have resolved the issue.

I set the midi track to receive midi from the synth keyboard and also transmit it back to the synth to trigger the sound engine (which was routed back to a cubase audio track to monitor). This was working as intended. The issue was when I sent midi clock to the synth (from cubase) to sync the sequencer of the synth to cubase. I left the midi track both sending and receiving midi and I think this made a midi feedback loop which sent the synth crazy. When using midi clock from cubase I need to make sure to disable this loop.

What had me confused was when I tested this to recreate this behaviour the midi channel sometimes (but not always) would become inoperable. For example, when setting up this feedback loop using midi channel 1 this channel would sometimes stop working. I set the midi channel to channel 2 it would work as intended, until I set up the feedback loop again. I now had 2 inoperable midi channels. When I set up midi to channel 3 it worked but channels 1 and 2 were still inoperable. Over time, midi channel 1 began working again but channel 2 still wouldn't work. After a little more time channel 2 also began working again and all 16 channels are now working.

What I can't explain is why all 16 channels would not send midi to trigger cubase VSTis even though cubase was receiving the midi input, which prompted me to ask for support here. Just to complicate matters, it seems that the TR8S behaves oddly for many people when using midi over usb. This can sometimes send/receive midi over all channels even when specifying a dedicated channel for midi data. I am now triggering the TR8S via DIN and now appears more stable. I have set up the feedback loop on the TR too and, although it doesn't like it, it doesn't trash any of my midi channels which suggests it is related to the synth, as you stated.

Another factor is that I have just upgraded my pc and now using a Ryzen setup instead of intel. My audio interface is known to not like some Ryzen usb architecture and I had to do some work to get it running properly. It's possible that the synths may not like it too as I never trashed midi channels on my intel pc when forgetting to disable the midi feedback loop.

In short, I need to remember to break the feedback loop when using midi clock and the sequencer on the synth.

Thanks for your help.
πŸ“ Reply
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear