The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cubase 10.5 release...
Old 13th November 2019
  #1
Gear Addict
 
cubic13's Avatar
Cubase 10.5 release...

Link : https://new.steinberg.net/cubase/new-features/

Interesting things, in this new version. Mainly, the macros window improvements, as well as the score editor ones, for me. But there are other things tempting, I must say. I'm rather disappointed to see that no Generic Remote improvements and fixes have been done, but still...

As I still have a Windows 7 based system, I'm gonna wait the feedback concerning the C10.5 compatibility with it, before deciding if it is worth the update.
Share your first impressions/feedback/comments here...
Old 13th November 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
 
blaugruen7's Avatar
The annual Update before christmas
Old 13th November 2019
  #3
Gear Addict
 
dione's Avatar
Finally import of group and fx tracks from other projects. Should already have been implemented tho.

But, i'm also on Win7. So guess we'll wait.
Old 13th November 2019
  #4
Gear Addict
 

Well worth the update fee. Some nice new features added and no more autoactivation of another loaded project when closing, so much time lost to that. Cycle toggle/zoom at the top now a preference setting to avoid that annoyance. EQ dual display, super useful and important... A brand new delay, the delay I've always wanted. Improved import from track, YES! Improved settings handling and some new keycommand options. THANK YOU STEINBERG

Padshop 2 was the only thing I wasn't bothered about, already more than enough Pads and Sounds. And, video but understand that's very important for many.
Old 13th November 2019
  #5
Gear Head
 

Any Win7 users brave enough to take the leap?
Old 13th November 2019
  #6
Gear Addict
 
RichardTK's Avatar
This sort of scalping for a point upgrade is why I wished I'd stuck with Logic - which I paid for several years ago, and still have the latest version... *sigh*

If they do a discount on Absolute Collection like they did about 18 months ago... maybe.
Old 13th November 2019
  #7
Lives for gear
 
blaugruen7's Avatar
Like the Last Time I will wait for summer for getting the upgrade for half the price.
Another bonus is until then two or three bug fixes will have appeared.
Old 13th November 2019
  #8
Here for the gear
 

they charge for .5 update. how lame is that
Old 13th November 2019
  #9
Lives for gear
 
djwaxxy's Avatar
updated ..
the new eq in the console is superb and very helpful ..you can match it against any eq curve in your mix so you can see and issues you may have and solve them much easier now.
the new multi tap delay is also brilliant and well worth the update price just for that,its got multi engines so you can have a modern clean sounding delay or vintage sounding delay plus tons of other options ive not even scratched the surface but im very impressed.

as of now its been stable but ive noticed it is using more cpu than 10.0.40 I didn't update to 10.0.50 because everyone of my mates whos updated to it is having big problems with it.

finally they implemented video /audio reder options this is one thing ive been begging Steinberg for many years I cant wait too try that out.

one thing I was disappointed in was padshop 2 ..its not a massive leap over padshop pro..also you cant have both in Cubase 10.5 .if you've paid for pro your out of luck it basically overwrites it so you cant have both.i was hoping I could have both not checked yet but im hoping older projects I had using padshop pro will just use the new padshop if not il have to keep older Cubase versions on my computer just in case.

..

one bug I have had so far is concerning automation.
I wrote some automation and it created a lane which was hidden and it turned off my volume on that lane.i tried it again on a separate lane and it did it again .it seems it writes a volume lane even if your not automating volumes I was automating frequency sweeps and it still written a hidden volume lane.
Old 13th November 2019
  #10
Gear Addict
 

After 2 years, there is still no Bezier curve integration on MIDI CC lanes of the MIDI note editor. This is a major disappointment to me.
If they had have had that, it would have been an instant upgrade for me, but currently I am thinking that I can just wait for a discount. Nothing of interest.
Old 13th November 2019
  #11
Gear Maniac
 

I downloaded the "update from 10.0" file that was 1.5 GB, but when I try to install, it is saying I need 27gb of space for the install. I thought that the "update" install would just update the app/plugins and was smaller than doing a full install?
Old 14th November 2019 | Show parent
  #12
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapmak3r View Post
After 2 years, there is still no Bezier curve integration on MIDI CC lanes of the MIDI note editor. This is a major disappointment to me.
If they had have had that, it would have been an instant upgrade for me, but currently I am thinking that I can just wait for a discount. Nothing of interest.
I know this has been discussed before, but how would Bezier curves work with MIDI data that consists of 127 steps? In the DAW environment I'm sure they could interpolate or something, but for external MIDI gear...
Old 14th November 2019 | Show parent
  #13
Lives for gear
 
telecode's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwaxxy View Post
updated ..
the new eq in the console is superb and very helpful ..you can match it against any eq curve in your mix so you can see and issues you may have and solve them much easier now.
the new multi tap delay is also brilliant and well worth the update price just for that,its got multi engines so you can have a modern clean sounding delay or vintage sounding delay plus tons of other options ive not even scratched the surface but im very impressed.

as of now its been stable but ive noticed it is using more cpu than 10.0.40 I didn't update to 10.0.50 because everyone of my mates whos updated to it is having big problems with it.

finally they implemented video /audio reder options this is one thing ive been begging Steinberg for many years I cant wait too try that out.

one thing I was disappointed in was padshop 2 ..its not a massive leap over padshop pro..also you cant have both in Cubase 10.5 .if you've paid for pro your out of luck it basically overwrites it so you cant have both.i was hoping I could have both not checked yet but im hoping older projects I had using padshop pro will just use the new padshop if not il have to keep older Cubase versions on my computer just in case.

..

one bug I have had so far is concerning automation.
I wrote some automation and it created a lane which was hidden and it turned off my volume on that lane.i tried it again on a separate lane and it did it again .it seems it writes a volume lane even if your not automating volumes I was automating frequency sweeps and it still written a hidden volume lane.
I use Padshop Pro a lot.

Can you have Cubase 9.5 installed and have Padshop Pro in that and also hae Cubase 10.5 and have Padshop 2 in that on the same machine? I am on OS X.

Does Padshop 2 install in the exact same library folder as Padshop Pro 1?
Old 14th November 2019
  #14
Lives for gear
 
djwaxxy's Avatar
you can have multiple versions of Cubase installed..on mine I have 8/10/10.5.

just checked with older versions of Cubase..padshop 2 overwrites older versions so you cant use padshop 1 or padshop pro..the presets from previous versions just show up and can be used in padshop 2 so your not missing anything which is good.
Old 14th November 2019 | Show parent
  #15
Gear Addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamMachine View Post
I know this has been discussed before, but how would Bezier curves work with MIDI data that consists of 127 steps? In the DAW environment I'm sure they could interpolate or something, but for external MIDI gear...
It would just be a way of manipulating the MIDI data. It wouldn't violate how MIDI fundamentally functions, just allow you to take advantage of bezier curves for MIDI CC automation.
I particularly want to be able to use them to automate the dynamics and vibrato on string libraries, but it would also be excellent for control over synth filters etc.

There is a way to do it, but it requires a cumbersome workaround...

Here is the video showing how to do it, so it is possible, just not very user friendly... https://youtu.be/HxnDIuQiWzc
Old 14th November 2019 | Show parent
  #16
Lives for gear
 
foamboy's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Square Citizen View Post
Any Win7 users brave enough to take the leap?
I'm with you on this. Looks like some useful features, but I'm not willing to go Win 10 just yet.

fb
Old 14th November 2019
  #17
Lives for gear
 
trock's Avatar
 

I downloaded and purchased and installed

I instantly went to color tracks since thats something I have wanted forever. I just sat there sort of stunned seeing all my tracks colored, then realized none of my tracks were organized all that well so seeing the colors all the way up was like a rainbow of disorganization lol. I really like this feature!

love the spectral eq, the multi tap delay, and so far everything has been rock solid recording in and mixing.

Aside from using CLA vocals I really feel i can completely mix my songs just using the built in channel strip now.
Old 14th November 2019 | Show parent
  #18
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by renesas View Post
they charge for .5 update. how lame is that
You mean compared to Pro Tools HD which costs 400 per year and has received less updates and new features in the last 5 years than the new features combined in this one .5 release alone? Yeah... Lame!

Alistair
Old 14th November 2019
  #19
Gear Addict
 
dione's Avatar
For those on Win7, there's also a topic about it on the Steinberg forums :

https://www.steinberg.net/forums/vie...f=283&t=172756
Old 14th November 2019
  #20
Gear Addict
 
denstrow's Avatar
Any estimate on a trial version? I'll probably buy it in a month or so, but would rather check it out first.
Old 14th November 2019 | Show parent
  #21
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CreamMachine View Post
I know this has been discussed before, but how would Bezier curves work with MIDI data that consists of 127 steps? In the DAW environment I'm sure they could interpolate or something, but for external MIDI gear...
First it would be nice if Steinberg fully implemented NRPN and RPN to bo a single controller as per the MIDI spec. Then you have 16K values. Basically, after all these years, Cubase have still not fully implemented the MIDI specs from... the 80's!

Steinberg, get your act together!

Alistair
Old 14th November 2019 | Show parent
  #22
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by denstrow View Post
Any estimate on a trial version? I'll probably buy it in a month or so, but would rather check it out first.
Usually the demo comes after the first bugfix update.

Alistair
Old 14th November 2019 | Show parent
  #23
Gear Guru
 
UnderTow's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
First it would be nice if Steinberg fully implemented NRPN and RPN to bo a single controller as per the MIDI spec. Then you have 16K values. Basically, after all these years, Cubase have still not fully implemented the MIDI specs from... the 80's!

Steinberg, get your act together!

Alistair

For those that don't understand what I am talking about, in the MIDI specs from 40 years ago already, NRPN LSB, NRPN MSB and NRPN DATA need to be combind to form one continuous controller with a resolution of 16K values.

My Andromeda sends out NRPN data on all knobs. I just downloaded the Free Bandlab Cakewalk app and installed it. Just set the inPut MIDI port and recorded the output of turning the filter cutoff knob on the Andromeda. This is what you get:

Cubase 10.5 release...-sonar_nrpn.jpg

A simple tracking of the cutoff data output in a continuous Controller fashion as per 1980's MIDI specs. This is how it should be done.

If I do the same thing in Cubase you get this: (I split out the data so that you can see what it does. Otherwise it is just one pile of indistinguishable and unusable junk. (Well you can play it back out but you certainly can't adjust curves or redraw curves or any of the other stuff the way you can with single data CC values in Cubase:

Cubase 10.5 release...-cubase_nrpn.jpg

This is just junk that doesn't follow BASIC MIDI specifications from 1983.

As I already said, Steinberg, get your act together! You are 36 years late!

Alistair
Attached Thumbnails
Cubase 10.5 release...-cubase_nrpn.jpg   Cubase 10.5 release...-sonar_nrpn.jpg  
Old 14th November 2019
  #24
Lives for gear
 
TAFKAT's Avatar
 

It would be nice if I could actually complete the purchase !

Tried 3 different browsers , each hanging on me attempting to log in to my account on check out.

All extensions/scripts/adblock, etc, disabled.

I wonder if its because my office system is still on Win7, LOL !

Either way, its not a priority for me past doing some inhouse R&D and testing, need to check if they fixed their "MMCSS Fix" in Cubase 10.

I digress.

* Quick edit- finally got through with FF :-)

* Edit 2 - Download now failed twice via the download manager at 20GB of the 21.6GB, and of course it doesn't pick up from whats already downloaded and starts from scratch each time, seriously ?*

Last edited by TAFKAT; 15th November 2019 at 12:57 AM.. Reason: Amended Typo, additional info*
Old 15th November 2019
  #25
Lives for gear
 
TAFKAT's Avatar
 

O.K, its now reached the point of ridiculous.

6 failed downloads across 2 systems , all stopping at exactly 20GB of the 21.6GB !

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem ?

Old 15th November 2019 | Show parent
  #26
Gear Nut
 
Jesus Christ's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAT View Post
Is anyone else experiencing the same problem ?
Yes. The Steinberg Download Assistant is broken. I called support to report it weeks ago. They just gave me the direct links to the various installers I needed. Here you go:

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support...ubase_105.html
Old 15th November 2019
  #27
Gear Addict
 

My problem was with eLicenser, it’s just didn’t update on Win 7. I had to use Win 10 to activate the license. Downloaded and installed it on Win 10 with no problem, screen resolution is still not good on 4K display.

My main is Win 7 and I can’t try it for at least 3 weeks, but I’ve heard from beta guys it wasn’t working correctly on Windows 7 systems.
Old 15th November 2019 | Show parent
  #28
Lives for gear
 
TAFKAT's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesus Christ View Post
Yes. The Steinberg Download Assistant is broken. I called support to report it weeks ago. They just gave me the direct links to the various installers I needed. Here you go:

https://www.steinberg.net/en/support...ubase_105.html
Thank You.

I didn't think they would have the 10.5 installers up yet in the support area.

Very slow download , but fingers crossed I get it across the line.

Something is definitely screwy with the download manager, as its stopping on exactly 20GB each time.

Old 15th November 2019 | Show parent
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Guillermo N's Avatar
 

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by denstrow View Post
Any estimate on a trial version? I'll probably buy it in a month or so, but would rather check it out first.
Yes, like in month or so as well, we usually release the Trial together with the first maintenance update

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAT View Post
O.K, its now reached the point of ridiculous.

6 failed downloads across 2 systems , all stopping at exactly 20GB of the 21.6GB !

Is anyone else experiencing the same problem ?

Sorry about that, it seems to be an issue with the Steinberg Download Assistant for users in Australia... we are looking into it. If you use a VPN to download the Steinberg Download Assistant and the software it should be fine.

Best regards,
GN
Old 15th November 2019
  #30
21 GB? This is the full installation, right? I see in the Steinberg download assistent something about 1,2 GB for the update/upgrade.
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 4594 views: 588035
Avatar for Arseny
Arseny 4 weeks ago
replies: 97 views: 28418
Avatar for mowmow
mowmow 15th September 2010
replies: 50 views: 3998
Avatar for Home Studio 87
Home Studio 87 12th August 2012
replies: 64 views: 8245
Avatar for Sampleconstruct
Sampleconstruct 16th May 2020
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear
Forum Jump
Forum Jump