The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cubase 10.5 release...
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillermo N View Post
Sorry about that, it seems to be an issue with the Steinberg Download Assistant for users in Australia...
I don't think this is about Australia! Australians just happen to have been awake. That is what is skewing your data.

My friend in Amsterdam had exactly the same problem. The download kept failing at the same point.

I tried the direct link. Average download speed was about 450 Mbit/s and the full download was finished in 7 minutes and 55 seconds.

It looks like the problem is the download manager.

Alistair
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by temnov View Post
My problem was with eLicenser, it’s just didn’t update on Win 7. I had to use Win 10 to activate the license. Downloaded and installed it on Win 10 with no problem, screen resolution is still not good on 4K display.

My main is Win 7 and I can’t try it for at least 3 weeks, but I’ve heard from beta guys it wasn’t working correctly on Windows 7 systems.
Keep in mind that Steinberg aren't officially supporting running Cubase 10.5 on Windows 7. Windows 10 from here on out.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
I don't think this is about Australia! Australians just happen to have been awake. That is what is skewing your data.

My friend in Amsterdam had exactly the same problem. The download kept failing at the same point.

I tried the direct link. Average download speed was about 450 Mbit/s and the full download was finished in 7 minutes and 55 seconds.

It looks like the problem is the download manager.

Alistair
I had the same problem in the US I kept getting a "download failed" message. I found the direct link and it downloaded in about 5 minutes.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4damind View Post
21 GB? This is the full installation, right? I see in the Steinberg download assistent something about 1,2 GB for the update/upgrade.
Yes, thats how large the download was on my end. I believe thats the full version. I didn't have 10.0 installed.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

Sorry about that, it seems to be an issue with the Steinberg Download Assistant for users in Australia... we are looking into it. If you use a VPN to download the Steinberg Download Assistant and the software it should be fine.

Best regards,
GN
Just a heads up that the direct download from the support page took about 4-5 hours to download, crawling in at a trickle compared to the download assistant where I was getting full download speed available locally which took around 30 minutes.

It looked to have completed the zip, but on unzipping reported a corrupted file , size of zip was around 20.5GB.

So not getting any success either way atm.

I'll try on another system using a VPN, but don't understand why that should make a difference depending on region ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAT View Post
I'll try on another system using a VPN, but don't understand why that should make a difference depending on region ?
It is probably due to network distance rather than region. Issues with IP and ICMP fragmentation and reassembly going wrong or something like that.

I don't know how the Download Manager works but if it uses peer-to-peer, that could explain the speed difference. But if one of the peers has a corrupted segment and is sending that out to peers on the network, the compressed archive as a whole will be corrupted...

Alistair
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head

I downloaded in OK using the Download Manager last night, in the UK. 1.3 Gb iirc for the 10 to 10.5 update. Normal download speed for my connection.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
It is probably due to network distance rather than region. Issues with IP and ICMP fragmentation and reassembly going wrong or something like that
Hey Alistair,

Not sure what the actual problem is , but using a VPN as suggested and placing the I.P in the US has managed to get the downloaded completed using the Download Manager. But at a crawl , coming in about 1/10th the speed as a direct connect.

I just left it overnight.

What ever the issue, Steinberg need to sort it.

Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFKAT View Post
Hey Alistair,

Not sure what the actual problem is , but using a VPN as suggested and placing the I.P in the US has managed to get the downloaded completed using the Download Manager. But at a crawl , coming in about 1/10th the speed as a direct connect.

I just left it overnight.

What ever the issue, Steinberg need to sort it.

Hey Vin,

I could keep on speculating on what the problem might be but indeed, in the end it doesn't matter because whatever the cause, Steinberg need to sort it out.

Alistair
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I think it said the upgrade from 10 vas $70. I could think of that as buying a multi tap which i dont have. Sort of not a very interesting upgrade to me.
Old 3 weeks ago
It downloaded fine for me. I'm in Los Angeles. I only downloaded the small update from 10 file though, not the large 20gig file.

I did a little review on it on YouTube and discovered a couple of issues, bugs and flaw relating to the 10.5 update. You can see the video here: Cubase 10.5 New Features review, testing and finding issues

I found a couple of fixes and workarounds for some but not all. Hopefully Steinberg see it and fix them.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
First it would be nice if Steinberg fully implemented NRPN and RPN to bo a single controller as per the MIDI spec. Then you have 16K values. Basically, after all these years, Cubase have still not fully implemented the MIDI specs from... the 80's!

Steinberg, get your act together!

Alistair
Truely happy to see that someone else is also concerned about this issue. I recently reported back again, in a Steinberg forum thread, the problem with NRPN messages used with Generic Remote setups.

It's here, if someone is interested : https://www.steinberg.net/forums/vie...914339#p914339.

Didn't get a lot of attention, actually. As Guillermo is here checking this thread, maybe he could tell us what he is thinking of this ?
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

i have a question for those that already updated:
regarding the dual-eq, when you select the second channel to be analyzed in the eq-window, does the audio interrupt as it would if you were to route/create a (new) audio sidechain?
thanks!
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Im on Win 7. Love, love new features like eq side chain spectrum. But when close cubase, process is still running. I found 6 instances of cubase 10.5 running in process manager from yesterday, yet nothing is actually running, just eating up memory and cpu. Perhaps this is win 7 issue?
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisNunchuck View Post
Im on Win 7. Love, love new features like eq side chain spectrum. But when close cubase, process is still running. I found 6 instances of cubase 10.5 running in process manager from yesterday, yet nothing is actually running, just eating up memory and cpu. Perhaps this is win 7 issue?
The 10.5 pages gives Windows 10 as a requirement. I'm not sure if Steinberg did any testing on Win 7.

Alistair
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by delti View Post
i have a question for those that already updated:
regarding the dual-eq, when you select the second channel to be analyzed in the eq-window, does the audio interrupt as it would if you were to route/create a (new) audio sidechain?
thanks!
No interupt - it's seemless as it's part of the channel EQ.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubic13 View Post
Link : https://new.steinberg.net/cubase/new-features/

As I still have a Windows 7 based system, I'm gonna wait the feedback concerning the C10.5 compatibility with it, before deciding if it is worth the update.
Share your first impressions/feedback/comments here...
Probably time to update. There was a post on the forums prior to release that older versions of Windows (versions other than Windows 10) are not supported. Some features might not work. I'd suggest backing up your system with an imaging software like Acronis then upgrading to Windows 10. That way you can completely restore the system to an exact copy of it's previous state (and OS) in case something goes wrong.

Not supported is not the same as not working but it will likely be buggy. Already I found a few bugs under Windows 10 which I put on my blog post here: Cubase 10.5 Review & Testing so I'd be concerned how many extra bugs and issues that might occur on Windows 7. I also go into the Acronis thing a little more on my blog post so that might help you.
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Separate key commands for snap ON & OFF. All my dreams have come true!
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scragend View Post
No interupt - it's seemless as it's part of the channel EQ.
thank you, that is nice to hear.
gives an advantage over (spectrum)sc-capable eq-plugins then.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Steinberg should really have an option to just download the program on it's own without any of the optional content...It would be like 500mb. 20GB+ is kind of needless. I have been asking for this for years (as well as bezier curves in the MIDI CC automation lanes)...
Old 3 weeks ago
Dor
Lives for gear

This is a paid upgrade (for some) and OSX Catalina support isn't included? Per Steinberg's site: We will provide further information on compatibility with Catalina by the end of October. We are still waiting for that info!

I should have protested with my wallet but I'm a sucker for upgrades and updated since I'm still holding off on upgrading to Catalina. My non-production MacBook Pro was running Catalina but I wiped and reinstalled Mojave after launching Cubase resulted in a flurry of errors.

D
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor View Post
This is a paid upgrade (for some) and OSX Catalina support isn't included? Per Steinberg's site: We will provide further information on compatibility with Catalina by the end of October. We are still waiting for that info!

I should have protested with my wallet but I'm a sucker for upgrades and updated since I'm still holding off on upgrading to Catalina. My non-production MacBook Pro was running Catalina but I wiped and reinstalled Mojave after launching Cubase resulted in a flurry of errors.

D
We did, posted about Catalina compatibility at the end of October, you might have missed it:

https://twitter.com/SteinbergMedia/s...28330152464384
Here is the latest regarding Catalina compatibility: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/e...-compatibility

Best regards,
GN
Old 3 weeks ago
Dor
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello,

We did, posted about Catalina compatibility at the end of October, you might have missed it:

Here is the latest regarding Catalina compatibility: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/e...-compatibility

Best regards,
GN
Yes, I missed this and didn’t see any mention of Catalina compatibility on the system requirement page or the release notes. Thanks!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello,

Best regards,
GN
Speaking about compatibility, I found the fact that Steinberg supports only Mojave on 10.5 really disappointing, especially as 10 was supported on Sierra and High Sierra and it's a .5 update, not a full number update.

One thing that "pros" don't like is to update an OS that works fine. Even if you're not "pro", you may not want to spend time on upgrading an OS that works fine. I think Cubase was always supported a couple OS back, so the fact that this release is Mojave only seems like Steinberg got a little lazy and avoided to make it High Sierra compatible. Unless there is a something that breaks the compatibility in a definitive manner, I don't sea any real reason for that move. I really hope this is not futur trend to be honest.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ran_ks View Post
Speaking about compatibility, I found the fact that Steinberg supports only Mojave on 10.5 really disappointing, especially as 10 was supported on Sierra and High Sierra and it's a .5 update, not a full number update.

One thing that "pros" don't like is to update an OS that works fine. Even if you're not "pro", you may not want to spend time on upgrading an OS that works fine. I think Cubase was always supported a couple OS back, so the fact that this release is Mojave only seems like Steinberg got a little lazy and avoided to make it High Sierra compatible. Unless there is a something that breaks the compatibility in a definitive manner, I don't sea any real reason for that move. I really hope this is not futur trend to be honest.
Wow! I had missed this too, and didn't even read Guilliarmo's response closely enough to pick up on it! This decision on Steinberg's part does actually seem more than half-addled! I can hardly believe it was "necessary," at least with High Sierra.

I agree with you 100%. I've been having problems with both 10.5 Pro and also 10.0 when I tried to go there, desperately needing to get a project finished up. I'm still on Sierra, not having had time or inclination to go through yet another round of the seemingly inevitable "Tech Support" I have to go through with half a dozen plug-in creators every time I upgrade OS's to get everything working again. So this might explain a lot of my current woes...but 32 Lives is corking out on me as well, and Harrison Mixbus crashed too -so I've got some gremlins going on that I don't think I can lay all on Steinberg.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hello,

Best regards,
GN
I'm not on Twitter, Guillermo, and I saw no mention of this on GS or elsewhere. Certainly, an e-mail to all your "registered" users would have been appreciated. (If you sent out one, I must have fallen off your list...and I've been a Cubase user since Cubase VST!)

I appreciate the never ending merry go round you (and everyone) has to go through with all the breaking Apple keeps causing in search of being the "One Ring to rule them all!" quest Jobs started the company on. But only Mojave and Catalina -really?! On a .5 release???

I guess I'm going to have to take the plunge. I think my cheesegrater MacPro will do Mojave, but I'm also pretty sure I'm going to lose some old and still very valued plugins as a result...not to mention tech support calls to Waves and a few others (but it's always Waves...) in installing a new OS.

Last edited by 4fmb; 2 weeks ago at 07:17 PM.. Reason: add more
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fmb View Post
I'm not on Twitter, Guillermo, and I saw no mention of this on GS or elsewhere. Certainly, an e-mail to all your "registered" users would have been appreciated. (If you sent out one, I must have fallen off your list...and I've been a Cubase user since Cubase VST!)

I appreciate the never ending merry go round you (and everyone) has to go through with all the breaking Apple keeps causing in search of being the "One Ring to rule them all!" quest Jobs started the company on. But only Mojave and Catalina -really?! On a .5 release???

I guess I'm going to have to take the plunge. I think my cheesegrater MacPro will do Mojave, but I'm also pretty sure I'm going to lose some old and still very valued plugins as a result...not to mention tech support calls to Waves and a few others (but it's always Waves...) in installing a new OS.
I'm not on Twitter either. I suggest Steinberg uses their own website to inform the users about stuff like this, and as 4fmb mentioned, they have our e-mails.

Last edited by CreamMachine; 2 weeks ago at 10:57 PM.. Reason: Correction
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4fmb View Post

We also posted it on Facebook, Instagram, the Steinberg HUB and on our website news section... We don't want to spam our users with a newsletter every-time there is a maintenance update or a compatibility news. Perhaps we should? I used to post this information here as well, but at some point I got a slap in the wrist for spamming the forums If most users missed it, then perhaps we should find another way to communicate it, but from now on we rely mostly on our social media channels.

Best regards,
Guillermo Navarrete
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Hello,

We also posted it on Facebook, Instagram, the Steinberg HUB and on our website news section... We don't want to spam our users with a newsletter every-time there is a maintenance update or a compatibility news. Perhaps we should? I used to post this information here as well, but at some point I got a slap in the wrist for spamming the forums If most users missed it, then perhaps we should find another way to communicate it, but from now on we rely mostly on our social media channels.

Best regards,
Guillermo Navarrete
"..., but from now on we rely mostly on our social media channels."

Well as long as you include the Steinberg website I guess I'm ok with it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Hello,

Best regards,
Guillermo Navarrete
Thanks, Guillermo. Hah, apparently I just missed it all the way around then! Social Media channels would likely totally miss me though -when I am on, I'm not checking every manufacturer I own product from! Just too much to keep up with. The HUB sounds like a solid choice to me. I just missed it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search