The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cubase 10.0.5 Double CPU Usage and ASIO Spikes
Old 16th February 2020
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
One really has to be fastidious about Windows.

I imaged my PC with Acronis drive image the day it arrived from Scan and when I add any software I keep a log
of everything installed and note any impact it has on the system and note any issues to be sorted.

Then, and importantly, when I have gathered together a series of Windows, Cubase and plugin updates I always roll Acronis back to the last time I made an image file so that (I know this sounds complex) now after having my machine for 4 years as far as Windows registry is concerned it's like I installed everything on my PC in one very long day - as if today was the first day I received my PC.

It's really worked for me, Cubase always runs perfectly smoothly and totally stable, irrespective of the version (allowing for any hot fixes after version releases) .... this or maybe I'm just lucky ;-)
Believe it or not, my routine is even more complex (if arguably less effective). I also use Acronis, but for daily differential backups - not image backups. All changes to the computer (except any sort of automatic updates) are manually logged. Unfortunately, with so many applications automatically updating themselves (including the OS), the logs are proving to be an outmoded burden. Once upon a time, this system worked almost flawlessly, to the point that I could determine the cause of a problem and contact the appropriate vendor with a suggestion for fixing it. Now, it's too easy to conclude that Microsoft's latest automatic update is responsible for everything wrong with my computer (and it usually is, but that's not the point).

My latest catastrophe came after a Windows Automatic Update, but I didn't notice the bug for several months.

That's where your routine looks good - by reverting to an image, you effectively manage the installation point of all updates (without relying on Microsoft's arbitrary window of opportunity to reverse an Automatic Update), as in the pre-Internet days. This makes the logging bit more effective too. Or, heck, even if you log nothing, you have a better chance of understanding which update probably blew up your box.

For the record, I tried disabling Windows Automatic Updates on my prior DAW and things got messy. When I rebuilt the machine (same hardware) and left Automatic Updates enabled, things were generally more stable.

Unfortunately, all of this can only delay the inevitable. Eventually, a critical application will require the latest version of Windows and that version of Windows will break something else - something that preferred the older version of Windows. Then, you're stuck with an unfortunate choice. And with so many things updating so frequently, it's difficult to hold your position for very long.

I'm ranting again. Sorry.

Still haven't heard from Steinberg.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by OliverV View Post
Check the Steinberg forum post link provided 5 days ago by peter.m.junior: there will be another (final) update [to 10.0.60].

Not sure when, though.
It's up now.

https://www.steinberg.net/index.php?id=14709&L=1
Old 3 days ago
Here for the gear

Hi everyone,

I too have random cpu spikes with Cubase Pro version 10.5.12.
Current projects which run smoothly on Cubase 7 are now stuttering and the average load meter is going nuts.
Tried unchecking the "suspend vst3 audio processing" option and played with the asio guard : nothing changed.
I also checked cpu via task manager, it seems totally normal. So i uninstalled cubase 10.5 and installed version 10.0.60.
I still have some spikes but seems better. Problem hasn't disappeared though.

I gotta say though after Cubase 7, i tried out Reaper and Studio One because i wanted to try something different, see what was going on elsewhere. The idea of having a dongle didn't suit me because i use samples with one of my bands on stage.
The thought of forgetting or even losing that key ? NO WAY.
And let's be honest the price falls into consideration as well.

Well in the end I still went with Cubase 10 because i'm used to it, the MIDI features it has to offer are really good, plus saving a TON of time for not having to transfer all of my current projects to another daw !

My point is, I see a lot of people complaining about this flaw and not so much news from Steinberg's side.
Tom Watson did a really good review on version 10.5 btw.
I'm beginning to regret this purchase and it's a shame to see that we're left with some issues going on forever with no information whatsoever...
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceFireForce117 View Post
Hi everyone,

Current projects which run smoothly on Cubase 7 are now stuttering and the average load meter is going nuts.
Tried unchecking the "suspend vst3 audio processing" option and played with the asio guard : nothing changed.
I also checked cpu via task manager, it seems totally normal. So i uninstalled cubase 10.5 and installed version 10.0.60.
How many cores do you have? Steinberg changed the way Cubase deals with larger core counts.

Alistair
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

4 cores and forgot to mention my specs :
i7 4790k 4ghz
16go ram
Windows 10 x64
System and drivers are all up to date
Old 2 days ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
4 cores and forgot to mention my specs :
i7 4790k 4ghz
16go ram
Windows 10 x64
System and drivers are all up to date
Ah OK. The issue I was referring to is for more than 6 cores. So not something that should affect your system.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Alistair
Old 2 days ago
Quote:
Hi everyone,

I gotta say though after Cubase 7, i tried out Reaper and Studio One because i wanted to try something different, see what was going on elsewhere. The idea of having a dongle didn't suit me because i use samples with one of my bands on stage.
The thought of forgetting or even losing that key ? NO WAY.
And let's be honest the price falls into consideration as well.

Well in the end I still went with Cubase 10 because i'm used to it, the MIDI features it has to offer are really good, plus saving a TON of time for not having to transfer all of my current projects to another daw !

My point is, I see a lot of people complaining about this flaw and not so much news from Steinberg's side.
Tom Watson did a really good review on version 10.5 btw.
I'm beginning to regret this purchase and it's a shame to see that we're left with some issues going on forever with no information whatsoever...
This issue was supposed to be fixed with the .12 update, and for a lot of users, myself included, it was. Over here, 10.5.12 is running as smoothly as 9.5, and miles better than 10.5.

As a first step, have you tried trashing your preferences?

j,
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

Thanks for helping Transistor, I tried that, didn't work, so went back to 10.5.12 just to see. didn't do the trick either.

When starting up an empty project, there are random spikes but they don't go really high.
If i load Kontakt with a basic library (in this case, Hybrid Keys, play series selection) spikes go way up and stay that way (sometimes even higher than screenshot).
No playback, no notes played.

Think i'll just have to work around it. Also maybe it's time to grab 32gb ram... Not quite sure...

EDIT : and for what it's worth, my interface is a Focusrite 6i6 2nd gen, i don't know if it's coming from that but i did have some issues (random stuttering) but i already had that before having cubase 10 and never did I have problem using my daw.
Attached Thumbnails
Cubase 10.0.5 Double CPU Usage and ASIO Spikes-random-cpu-spikes-low.jpg   Cubase 10.0.5 Double CPU Usage and ASIO Spikes-random-cpu-spikes.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search