The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Touch interface options for Cubase 9.5 Elements
Old 4 weeks ago
  #1
Gear Head
Touch interface options for Cubase 9.5 Elements

G'day, I just got a new laptop and it turns out it has a touchscreen. It's a win10 machine and I have 43 songs to get through this week and touchscreen option might be very handy.

I saw that there is DTouch but I can't afford that and it looks like overkill.

Are there any free alternatives or tweaksthat can make the recording Transport window buttons bigger so my standard sized fingers can easily click them?

Resolution is 3840x2160 on a 15.1inch screen.

Thanks,
Luddite
Old 4 weeks ago
  #2
Lives for gear
 
brucerothwell's Avatar
 

The best way to magically increase the size of the GUI elements is to run at a lower resolution.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #3
Lives for gear
 
DeadPoet's Avatar
Both my working laptop and studio desktop have touch screens.
Cubase is not optimised for touch - mostly meaning:
1) only one touch point at a time and
2) very small area where a control can be controlled. You really have to be on an *exact* spot to control whatever you want to control. It's too easy to 'miss' a control and doing the same action 2-3 times before it 'takes'.

Not really better when using an iPad & Duet screen extension software free).


Mouse & keyboard shortcuts go faster.

Control surface(s) speed my workflow up even more - I've planned on spending today programming a Lemur workspace for my controlling needs.



Herwig
Old 3 weeks ago
  #4
Gear Head
Thankyou guys.

Deadpoet - I just installed duet on my iPad and you are right. Kind of not ideal. I want that transport on it but it wont do it well. Oh well.

Your control surface sounds like a good idea. Maybe I could also get an xbox controller to trigger key commands. I wonder if anyone has done that.

Really we need:

1. Delete last take.
2. Go back to locator 1
3. Record
4. Stop
Old 3 weeks ago
  #5
Gear Guru
 

Maybe a dumb question by me, but; what is the reason for not just using the computer keyboard?

You can map key commands and create macros as you choose in Cubase/Nuendo.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Maybe a dumb question by me, but; what is the reason for not just using the computer keyboard?

You can map key commands and create macros as you choose in Cubase/Nuendo.
This. There are good arguments for touch for operations like zoom, scroll etc. For button press there is no benefit with touch versus key commands (except that you need to learn them...).
Old 3 weeks ago
  #7
Lives for gear
 
DeadPoet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by luddite View Post
Really we need:

1. Delete last take.
2. Go back to locator 1
3. Record
4. Stop
1. Ctrl-Z
2. Numpad. (don't know what language your keyboard is in: it's the key between the 0 and the enter key)
3. Numpad *
4. Space bar or Numpad 0


Herwig
Old 3 weeks ago
  #8
Gear Guru
 

In addition to all the key commands we can customize and the macros we can program in Nuendo and Cubase there are also programmable keyboards which can help. Now, granted, in order for them to work the commands they send must conform to the commands we've set up in the DAW, but you can actually do some neat things with them.

I bought a not too expensive POS keyboard ("Point Of Sale") which has 84 programmable buttons with layers and macros. When I did a fair amount of commercials for a specific client I set it up so that with one key press I'd select "Import AAF", and with the next key press it would trigger the macro that selected all the correct items in the dialog box and then hit 'enter'. Small things like that end up being really neat time savers and are in some ways more convenient. In this case all the commands were stored in the keyboard so it would work without dedicated macro software on all computers. Takes up space though, so there's that.

Anyway, I agree with "poet" and "the berg"... with a d...
Old 3 weeks ago
  #9
Gear Head
 
Havoc911's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedberg View Post
This. There are good arguments for touch for operations like zoom, scroll etc. For button press there is no benefit with touch versus key commands (except that you need to learn them...).
There's also no benefit to multiple monitors, at least in terms of productivity, but most of us have them. Sometimes it's just a preference.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #10
Lives for gear
 
DeadPoet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havoc911 View Post
There's also no benefit to multiple monitors, at least in terms of productivity, but most of us have them. Sometimes it's just a preference.
Whenmy arrangement is in front of me the mixer is on the second screen and vice versa - helps tremendously to quickly glance over the other screen to check on stuff.

Some plugins are always on that second screen for monitoring (loudness, gain reduction, signal activity, etc).

At least in my world a second screen makes workflow a lot faster.


Herwig
Old 3 weeks ago
  #11
Lives for gear
 
brucerothwell's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Havoc911 View Post
There's also no benefit to multiple monitors, at least in terms of productivity, but most of us have them. Sometimes it's just a preference.
Well, I would opine that multiple monitors allows for the ability to lay out multiple data/documents onto the screen, to see each quickly at a glance.

Similar to having a small table and multiple paper documents to look at... being able to move to a larger table, and lay everything out at once, can be more efficient, avoiding having to frequently shuffle through the documents to look at one vs. the others.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havoc911 View Post
There's also no benefit to multiple monitors, at least in terms of productivity, but most of us have them. Sometimes it's just a preference.
There I need to disagree strongly. For DAW work multiple screens really, really helps. So many windows to switch between and look at simultaneously: project, mixer, edit, plugins etc.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #13
Gear Guru
 

I tend to agree. Also in post production where it's super handy to have another screen with metering on it and a few other things.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #14
Gear Head
 
Havoc911's Avatar
 

There was a fairly recent study I saw where they ran a series of well devised tests and found the effect on productivity negligible. Yes, you'll have more information available simultaneously, but that doesn't seem to translate into increased productivity in testing scenarios (except in the studies commissioned by monitor manufacturers).

I use 3 monitors and I love being able to have all that information available at a glance, but do I get more done in a day because of it? I don't think so. Does the extra second I save by having a mix window or edit window already open as opposed to a touch button or key command save me any appreciable time? No. I just prefer working this way.

Granted, if we were all forced to go to one screen tomorrow, our productivity would suffer. Once adjusted, our productivity would likely remain consistent with what it had been on a multiple monitor setup.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #15
Lives for gear
 
DeadPoet's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havoc911 View Post
Does the extra second I save by having a mix window or edit window already open as opposed to a touch button or key command save me any appreciable time? No. I just prefer working this way.

Granted, if we were all forced to go to one screen tomorrow, our productivity would suffer. Once adjusted, our productivity would likely remain consistent with what it had been on a multiple monitor setup.
Et voila.


To me that extra second isn't just "an extra second" but also an extra switch between left/right-brain (technical thinking vs creative thinking) which gets me out of whatever I'm trying to achieve in a creative way and forces me to go into a technical mindset.

I compare this to playing an instrument: imagine a guitar player being forced to think about every voicing he wants to play.



Herwig
Old 3 weeks ago
  #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havoc911 View Post
There was a fairly recent study I saw where they ran a series of well devised tests and found the effect on productivity negligible. Yes, you'll have more information available simultaneously, but that doesn't seem to translate into increased productivity in testing scenarios (except in the studies commissioned by monitor manufacturers).

I use 3 monitors and I love being able to have all that information available at a glance, but do I get more done in a day because of it? I don't think so. Does the extra second I save by having a mix window or edit window already open as opposed to a touch button or key command save me any appreciable time? No. I just prefer working this way.

Granted, if we were all forced to go to one screen tomorrow, our productivity would suffer. Once adjusted, our productivity would likely remain consistent with what it had been on a multiple monitor setup.
Was the study about making music with a DAW? If not, I question it’s relevancy. I think that use case makes a big difference.


But interesting with such a study anyway.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #17
Gear Head
 
Havoc911's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPoet View Post
Et voila.


To me that extra second isn't just "an extra second" but also an extra switch between left/right-brain (technical thinking vs creative thinking) which gets me out of whatever I'm trying to achieve in a creative way and forces me to go into a technical mindset.

I compare this to playing an instrument: imagine a guitar player being forced to think about every voicing he wants to play.



Herwig
I gave this some thought and I don't think there's even a second saved. It takes me as long to look to my second screen as it does for me to push a button on my touchscreen. The same would be true of entering a key command. If you're doing anything other than referencing, you're actually wasting time moving the mouse cursor across all that (potentially 4K) resolution.

A musician does think about every voicing they play. Playing a G7 and pressing F3 are functionally the same with regard to neurobiology. If you were in the habit of using key commands instead of having multiple monitors, using them would be as subconscious as thinking about the finger placement for a chord. At that point it shouldn't pull you out of a creative head space.

Anyway, I feel like I've derailed the thread and I apologize to the OP. I'm happy to start a new thread if you want to continue to discuss this.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #18
Gear Head
 
Havoc911's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedberg View Post
Was the study about making music with a DAW? If not, I question it’s relevancy. I think that use case makes a big difference.


But interesting with such a study anyway.
No, they were looking at metrics that apply to all situations. If it takes you N milliseconds to focus on a second screen, that's true of music production, gaming, coding and everything else.

I'm trying to find it again so I can share it.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #19
Gear Guru
 

Your statement is overly broad. I seriously doubt there is any research that shows that "There's also no benefit to multiple monitors, at least in terms of productivity,". It'd be idiotic to claim that that's unequivocally and always true.

I bet I can come up with at least a couple of examples where it is no longer true (as stated) and therefore once we accept that we're left with figuring out when there's a lesser return on investment so to speak.

But the blanket statement is nonsense regardless of research.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #20
Gear Head
 
Havoc911's Avatar
 

Of course there will always be cases where the opposite is true. I don't know of anyone who speaks in absolutes and I don't know what about that statement infers that it's unequivocally and always true, but allow me to rephrase. Generally speaking, multiple monitors do not have a significant benefit to productivity.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #21
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPoet View Post
1. Ctrl-Z
2. Numpad. (don't know what language your keyboard is in: it's the key between the 0 and the enter key)
3. Numpad *
4. Space bar or Numpad 0


Herwig
I missed this but thank-you. I really appreciate your help.

Maybe ill look at getting some cheap bluetooth pad to control. I do have a iRig BlueBoard that I may be able to configure to do it. It's usually set up just for amplitude use in my iPad. I wonder if anyone has used it for my use case?
Old 3 weeks ago
  #22
Here for the gear
 

If you want a touchscreen experience, then get Cakewalk by Bandlab. They've had it for years, and I've had and use a large touch screen for over four years.

Unfortunately, any dual platform DAW (Win and Mac) can only write code for functions that are available for both platforms. Mac is more than two generations behind Win 10, and until Apple quits spending most of their R&D on their phone business, that's not going to change.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #23
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by koolbass View Post
If you want a touchscreen experience, then get Cakewalk by Bandlab.
Thanks Sir but a bit late in the race for me to change DAW software but I appreciate you chiming in. Great to know there is an option.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #24
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
In addition to all the key commands we can customize and the macros we can program in Nuendo and Cubase there are also programmable keyboards which can help. Now, granted, in order for them to work the commands they send must conform to the commands we've set up in the DAW, but you can actually do some neat things with them.

I bought a not too expensive POS keyboard ("Point Of Sale") which has 84 programmable buttons with layers and macros. When I did a fair amount of commercials for a specific client I set it up so that with one key press I'd select "Import AAF", and with the next key press it would trigger the macro that selected all the correct items in the dialog box and then hit 'enter'. Small things like that end up being really neat time savers and are in some ways more convenient. In this case all the commands were stored in the keyboard so it would work without dedicated macro software on all computers. Takes up space though, so there's that.

Anyway, I agree with "poet" and "the berg"... with a d...
If we are talking about programmable keyboards, these things are pretty neat: https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/stream-deck

Custom LCD buttons!
Not super expensive either.
Old 3 weeks ago
  #25
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by tame1 View Post
If we are talking about programmable keyboards, these things are pretty neat: https://www.elgato.com/en/gaming/stream-deck

Custom LCD buttons!
Not super expensive either.

Love it, but it made me think that maybe there are other apps that can work with a phone. I found one and have set it up. It works amazing on my android. It will be perfect for when doing vocal or guitar takes.

I installed it into windows (it asked to open some ports up in the firewall), then I added 8 button keypress', selected icons for them. I then downloaded the android version(there is also an iPad version) and started it up and it connected and works. It is fast / instant. What a treat.

https://www.touch-portal.com

It really is super helpful and I wouldn't have found it without this thread and all the contributors. Thanks all!!!!
Old 3 weeks ago
  #26
Gear Guru
 

I think the benefits of a keyboard that is directly attached to the computer is mainly responsiveness which will be more important for some types of work compared to others. If you're doing a lot of editing for example then a keyboard is near impossible to beat. For triggering things like rec-enable, record, undo and so forth in a recording scenario it's pretty much not a requirement unless you're punching in on the fly.

Glad you found a solution.
Old 2 weeks ago
  #27
Gear Head
Well for my situation (and I appreciate it's a edge case or irrelevant for most people) is that I have a small vocal booth that is a few meters away from the laptop running cubase. Same with the guitar. So this solution will be a game changer for me. Highly recommended.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump