The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Cubase 10 Pro , do i keep it ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Thks guyz , the length bounce was my error , the length format wasn't that logical so i was super short since i type 1 thinking it will understand bars !!! lol

I have a part events (audio clip) where i have 3 layers and i can't get them to play all together ... !! ??? any savior around for this one lol !!

Basically it's forces me comping ..while i just want them to be all played togheter (editing test project there)
Attached Thumbnails
Cubase 10 Pro , do i keep it ?-layer-cubase.jpg   Cubase 10 Pro , do i keep it ?-layer-cubase-2.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeezo View Post
I have a part events (audio clip) where i have 3 layers and i can't get them to play all together ... !! ??? any savior around for this one lol !!

Basically it's forces me comping ..while i just want them to be all played togheter (editing test project there)

Hey Jeezo,

As as an ex-Sonar user I understand why you want to do this but Cubase doesn't work this way. Cubase only plays one layer per track. That might seem very limiting coming from Sonar but until I read your post I had completely forgotten that that is how it worked in Sonar. When I switched to Cubase I quickly adapted and haven't thought about it since.

So, no solution for you unfortunately but I think you will also be able to adapt and quickly find the workflow normal if you choose to stick with Cubase.

Alistair
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Hey Jeezo,

As as an ex-Sonar user I understand why you want to do this but Cubase doesn't work this way. Cubase only plays one layer per track. That might seem very limiting coming from Sonar but until I read your post I had completely forgotten that that is how it worked in Sonar. When I switched to Cubase I quickly adapted and haven't thought about it since.

So, no solution for you unfortunately but I think you will also be able to adapt and quickly find the workflow normal if you choose to stick with Cubase.

Alistair
Thks Homie , i appreciate , yep a lot of time i have to adapte to their logic ... i don t mind since i can do what i want but for now i still struggle with overlapping parts trying to find the best way to handle ...without having to double up my track counts lol

By the way no clip fx ? I check the offline thingy , but no real time clip fx ?

Didn t ya tried studio one at one point if i recall well ?

Thks you and all for being around in my desert island lol ...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

Quote:

It's called Direct Offline Processing. Can be on a clip or a selection of clips. Non-destructive (unless you choose to make it permanent). You can use all your plug-ins (or chains) or any of the other processes.

https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_ar...cessing_c.html
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Thks Homie , i appreciate , yep a lot of time i have to adapte to their logic ... i don t mind since i can do what i want but for now i still struggle with overlapping parts trying to find the best way to handle ...without having to double up my track counts lol

Not real-time no.

I'm hoping they add automation to the DOP clip based fx though, even if it's a render of what the automation is doing.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainCheck123 View Post
Not real-time no.

I'm hoping they add automation to the DOP clip based fx though, even if it's a render of what the automation is doing.
Can we have per clip automation (that is clip based ?)
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dione View Post
It's called Direct Offline Processing. Can be on a clip or a selection of clips. Non-destructive (unless you choose to make it permanent). You can use all your plug-ins (or chains) or any of the other processes.

https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_ar...cessing_c.html
yep i cheked this out but seems offline only not real time like an FX on a track ...
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Can we have per clip automation (that is clip based ?)
no, but 'Automation Follows Events' it's a toggle option you can hot key and turn on and off when needed.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
no, but 'Automation Follows Events' it's a toggle option you can hot key and turn on and off when needed.
ah ok cool .... just if events have common zone , it's not messed up ....
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
ah ok cool .... just if events have common zone , it's not messed up ....
Also be aware, there are actually two "layers" of automation. You have the regular initial automation you set, but open the panel (F6) and activate Trim, and it adds a new automation line which will trim the automation you have already set, and it shows you really nicely what that looks by morphing the difference into the original automation lines you set.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Also be aware, there are actually two "layers" of automation. You have the regular initial automation you set, but open the panel (F6) and activate Trim, and it adds a new automation line which will trim the automation you have already set, and it shows you really nicely what that looks by morphing the difference into the original automation lines you set.
Will give it a look , no undo redo in console view ? i moved some fader due to touch screen , hit undo and it undone the edition on main vie=w not last moves in console **....
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Will give it a look , no undo redo in console view ? i moved some fader due to touch screen , hit undo and it undone the edition on main vie=w not last moves in console **....
Yes there is mixer undo/redo, separate key commands for this. There is also mixer snapshot which stores the entire mixer in a save of which you can have multiple and jump between them to a/b../c/d.

also a mixer history side panel you can pop out left side
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Yes there is mixer undo/redo, separate key commands for this. There is also mixer snapshot which stores the entire mixer in a save of which you can have multiple and jump between them to a/b../c/d.

also a mixer history side panel you can pop out left side
Yep i saw the snapshots ....gonna check the special key command for undo redo ...

I really wished a macro control bar for real .....i customised mine in S1 and it's intuitive and super usefull
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Yep i saw the snapshots ....gonna check the special key command for undo redo ...

I really wished a macro control bar for real .....i customised mine in S1 and it's intuitive and super usefull
just create PLEs, you can leave them empty in terms of a script, and then just add your macro to the macro slot. save the PLE, and then you have your pop up list
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
just create PLEs, you can leave them empty in terms of a script, and then just add your macro to the macro slot. save the PLE, and then you have your pop up list
Why doing so ? Is there a place in the gui where i can see PLE s ? Or only via menus ?
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Have you considered Metagrid? It integrates Cubase Key Commands, Macros, LE/PLE presets very nicely...all totally customizable. Well worth the price of a old version iPad plus $14.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Why doing so ? Is there a place in the gui where i can see PLE s ? Or only via menus ?

There is the menu in the top left.

leave the script empty. You can add a macro bottom right corner.

You can organize this menu by creating folders in the appdata/cubase10/presets/project logical editor directory.

I names mine so they would be organized neatly.

'User-Track-Colourize - Colourize all audio tracks'
'User-Track-Colourize - Colourize MIDI tracks with Audio Track colours'

all my different types of PLE are organized by folders:
-Colourize
-Selection
-Delete Tracks
-Delete Events
-Visibility
-Record
-Editing

and so on

I hotkey to these menus(folders) by creating macros:

for example If I want to cue 'Delete Tracks' menu:
-Open PLE Window
-PLE preset (whatever preset is at the top of the list in Delete Tracks

because I had the PLE window open first in the macro, it won't apply the PLE preset only select it in the menu and cue it in the PLE window.

Then I can mouse scroll the menu tab at the top left there without opening it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
Have you considered Metagrid? It integrates Cubase Key Commands, Macros, LE/PLE presets very nicely...all totally customizable. Well worth the price of a old version iPad plus $14.
This looks dope !! i was thinking about §Junkie XL and told to myself , Cubase needs a macro controller or you're lsing your time big time !!

and you're posting this , great find thks , but time cosuming like crazy !!! will have to think about it twice ....

Thks for the link will get it anyway just to play around , this might serves me for S1 also (if i decide to keep cubase)
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:

There is the menu in the top left.

leave the script empty. You can add a macro bottom right corner.

You can organize this menu by creating folders in the appdata/cubase10/presets/project logical editor directory.

I names mine so they would be organized neatly.

'User-Track-Colourize - Colourize all audio tracks'
'User-Track-Colourize - Colourize MIDI tracks with Audio Track colours'

all my different types of PLE are organized by folders:
-Colourize
-Selection
-Delete Tracks
-Delete Events
-Visibility
-Record
-Editing

and so on

I hotkey to these menus(folders) by creating macros:

for example If I want to cue 'Delete Tracks' menu:
-Open PLE Window
-PLE preset (whatever preset is at the top of the list in Delete Tracks

because I had the PLE window open first in the macro, it won't apply the PLE preset only select it in the menu and cue it in the PLE window.

Then I can mouse scroll the menu tab at the top left there without opening it.
lol you lost me here .it's 3H45 let me re read this tomorow lol !!!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Great thread. Im am going through the same process. Still using Sonar Platinum. Bought Cubase 9-9.5 Pro, and now Cubase 10 Pro. I am satisfied with Cubase and bought it because I felt if I bought a lesser DAW, that I would be limited in the future, become dissatisfied, and have to buy and learn Cubase anyway. It takes a lot of time to learn a DAW. Especially one that is not limited. A great many people are too lazy to take the time to learn a full featured DAW. They want instant rewards with little to no work. If you are lazy and not willing to do the work to learn, you will be constantly frustrated. If a person will take the time to learn a full featured DAW inside and out, the work will flow and become second nature. Do the work, reap the rewards.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxman12 View Post
Great thread. Im am going through the same process. Still using Sonar Platinum. Bought Cubase 9-9.5 Pro, and now Cubase 10 Pro. I am satisfied with Cubase and bought it because I felt if I bought a lesser DAW, that I would be limited in the future, become dissatisfied, and have to buy and learn Cubase anyway. It takes a lot of time to learn a DAW. Especially one that is not limited. A great many people are too lazy to take the time to learn a full featured DAW. They want instant rewards with little to no work. If you are lazy and not willing to do the work to learn, you will be constantly frustrated. If a person will take the time to learn a full featured DAW inside and out, the work will flow and become second nature. Do the work, reap the rewards.
Jax , the one thing i learned lately about the arranger tack is that , for me i was using like the matrix view in sonar while it really comes to life when trying ideas during composition and still in midi mod ... now i understand why it s not design for overlapping audio ect ... so be sure to watch junkie xl video about his last template ... it shows this and basically how i understood the goal of that tools ...

Solid choice , imho cubase is the ultimate protools killer , not yet as fun as s1 for producing , but def more capabel ....the day steinberg will link features to fun , gale over !

Jax if you need any help just holla , i think i've mastered the basics to do a project from start to finsh ....need to go deep in the sync (video side)

The channel strip central object is pure geniuous , don't understestimate this , i do a lot form this view (routing , fx , track handling ect ..) and you can just go to next track or waht ever track from there ...brillant , this is the feature S1 is missing , a centra inspector like this ...
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear
I think noone replied yet number 4

Quote:
4) Is there a way to get Clip name base on track names ( feature i have in sonar) ?
For midi tracks it can be done easily from Preferences.
Preferences > Editing > Parts Get Track Name
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Solid choice , imho cubase is the ultimate protools killer , not yet as fun as s1 for producing , but def more capabel ....the day steinberg will link features to fun , gale over !
An actual "killer" of PT would be rather Nuendo, which offers wide variety of tools for advanced film/multimedia sound post, interactive/VR sound and more and aims mainly the same segment of the market that PT does. Latest Nuendo contains all Cubase funcions, .cpr and .npr projects are interchangeable.

As for Metagrid, this thing is stellar, I just bought two iPads Mini to run it in the studio. After setting two simultaneous 9x8 grids and 144 buttons at hand my productivity and time efficiency rose in an unprecedented way. This is a game changer for me.

You can always consider cheaper Android options like Touch Portal (but beware - it desn't work with Cubase/Nuendo well, because ctrl/shift/alt virtual "press" in Touch Portal is too short for Steinberg software to recognize it; the Touch Portal team told me they are working on it and will publish an update in just a week from now). Deckboard Pro also looks good, but 6x5 max grid size is a no go for me.

Also, beware of some Metagrid limitations. The dev promised MIDI faders a year ago or something, still not there; you can't export your custom grids, you can't import them, they stay local (you can tackle this using an inconvenient iCloud trick).

Metagrid can trigger internal Cubase/Nuendo macros, it can even create its own. It's just amazing and keeps getting better, after a week of heavy using I can't really tell why it took me so long to upgrade to this. Two new iPads aren't the cheapest controller, but they were worth every single penny, though the app still can improve for sure!
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leveuho View Post
An actual "killer" of PT would be rather Nuendo, which offers wide variety of tools for advanced film/multimedia sound post, interactive/VR sound and more and aims mainly the same segment of the market that PT does. Latest Nuendo contains all Cubase funcions, .cpr and .npr projects are interchangeable.

As for Metagrid, this thing is stellar, I just bought two iPads Mini to run it in the studio. After setting two simultaneous 9x8 grids and 144 buttons at hand my productivity and time efficiency rose in an unprecedented way. This is a game changer for me.

You can always consider cheaper Android options like Touch Portal (but beware - it desn't work with Cubase/Nuendo well, because ctrl/shift/alt virtual "press" in Touch Portal is too short for Steinberg software to recognize it; the Touch Portal team told me they are working on it and will publish an update in just a week from now). Deckboard Pro also looks good, but 6x5 max grid size is a no go for me.

Also, beware of some Metagrid limitations. The dev promised MIDI faders a year ago or something, still not there; you can't export your custom grids, you can't import them, they stay local (you can tackle this using an inconvenient iCloud trick).

Metagrid can trigger internal Cubase/Nuendo macros, it can even create its own. It's just amazing and keeps getting better, after a week of heavy using I can't really tell why it took me so long to upgrade to this. Two new iPads aren't the cheapest controller, but they were worth every single penny, though the app still can improve for sure!

Yep i know nuendo and cubase looks great at v10 cause it's more nuendeo than ever

Thks for the precious infos !
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean by export import custom grids? You can back everything up via iTunes to a PC. So my understanding is you should be able to transfer whatever you have configured to another ipad?

The developer released MetaPad, i think that have faders? A year ago he publicly asked users about the directions of both apps. All his focus has been on Metapad and he says now it's on Metagrid.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by export import custom grids? You can back everything up via iTunes to a PC. So my understanding is you should be able to transfer whatever you have configured to another ipad?

The developer released MetaPad, i think that have faders? A year ago he publicly asked users about the directions of both apps. All his focus has been on Metapad and he says now it's on Metagrid.
1. Custom grids as preset files, as simple as that. The workaround with plugging the pad to a PC, making and restoring backups, well, not comfy at all.

2. Metapad is not there. Go and check it on App Store. Besides, the initial plan was to develop faders along with button commands, as I understood, all in one app.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
1. Custom grids as preset files, as simple as that. The workaround with plugging the pad to a PC, making and restoring backups, well, not comfy at all.

2. Metapad is not there. Go and check it on App Store. Besides, the initial plan was to develop faders along with button commands, as I understood, all in one app.
I thought that too. But somewhere along the lines, I thought he decided to develop 2 different apps, Metagrid and Metapad taking each in a different direction. I see the teaser videos for Metapad, and thought he had released it, but apparently not yet. He did say something recently about Metapad being finished so he could focus on Metagrid.

I agree, its not "comfy" and when I started using it about 1.5 years ago, that was an issue the developer agreed needed to be streamlined. But currently, you can achieve saving and transferring to another iPad. Or for me at least more importantly, saving everything and then later if you screw something up, going to iTunes, and importing what you stored to get things good again. Not once have I ever had to do it, so I'm just assuming it does work?

With Metagrid, my shortcuts is such an evolving thing, after 1.5 years I still haven't arrived at "whats perfect for me" and I doubt I ever will...therefore on occasion do back-ups via iPad.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Is this still on topic? I'm confused.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Quote:
lol you lost me here .it's 3H45 let me re read this tomorow lol !!!
Did you figure out what I was saying?

You can use PLE script menu as a macro menu as well.

ie, if you just want to use a macro you made in your Key Commands window, just add a macro to that bottom left menu in PLE and save the PLE. You don't need anything in the script boxes.

Organize the PLE top left menu by creating folders in the Cubase directory.

Think ahead though, and create the folders you need before making the PLE presets, as moving the presets around into folder will break their connection to Macros and Key Command shortcuts.

btw
A New thing I just discovered, is in Direct Offline Processing... IF you look in your key commands, you can key command DOP Favorites 1-9. But this is actually 1-9 x 4 banks. Ie, what bank you have selected will determine which 1-9 the key commands are triggering. The banks also able to be keyed.

So this expands your shortcut keys to be able to add 36 different plugins, using only 13 keys.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Did you figure out what I was saying?

You can use PLE script menu as a macro menu as well.

ie, if you just want to use a macro you made in your Key Commands window, just add a macro to that bottom left menu in PLE and save the PLE. You don't need anything in the script boxes.

Organize the PLE top left menu by creating folders in the Cubase directory.

Think ahead though, and create the folders you need before making the PLE presets, as moving the presets around into folder will break their connection to Macros and Key Command shortcuts.

btw
A New thing I just discovered, is in Direct Offline Processing... IF you look in your key commands, you can key command DOP Favorites 1-9. But this is actually 1-9 x 4 banks. Ie, what bank you have selected will determine which 1-9 the key commands are triggering. The banks also able to be keyed.

So this expands your shortcut keys to be able to add 36 different plugins, using only 13 keys.

Great finding thks , yep mastering cuabse is a long journey .....once you get that german way of thinking

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search