The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Pitch Correction .. VariAudio
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Guru

Pitch Correction .. VariAudio

hey cats ... i am hearing good things in other forums about the VariAudio in CP10 ... i do not care for Melodyne, was thinking about Revoice, when someone mentioned that VariAudio in CP10 was better that those !!

any real world opinions ?? 100.00 upgrade for me is much better than Revoice Full Pop !!!

thank you

john
Old 13th June 2019
Gear Nut

Dude! You just missed 50% off offer just a couple of weeks ago. They usually do a summer discount in July or August. I don't know if they will do that now after this recent anniversary offer but might be worth waiting a few weeks if budget is an issue.

I have only used vari audio for about 30mins a couple of days ago and I make electronic music so unnatural vocals are my thing, so not what most people would want. However, in this brief time it felt much slicker to me than in C9.5 which I always found a little clunky. It immediately sounded much better too when pitching and formant shifting and what not. But as I said, my needs will probably be different to most other users. I used to avoid vari audio and processed vocals with a sampler but after this initial run I will be using it more often than I did in previous versions.

I'm sure someone else will drop by to offer a more in depth review shortly.
Old 4 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hi John,
I don’t use VariAudio very much, but in general, Cubase 10 is a really solid update. And as Dippy Egg mentioned, you just missed a 50% off upgrade. I say give it a go, don’t waste anymore time wondering about, and just find out for yourself!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Came to Cubase Pro 10 last month. Having been an expert on Melodyne for the last 8 years, I can say that I liked a lot Variaudio and I'm gonna use it very often.
What I didn't like too much is the Audio align. Revoice rules there.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arionas View Post
Came to Cubase Pro 10 last month. Having been an expert on Melodyne for the last 8 years, I can say that I liked a lot Variaudio and I'm gonna use it very often.
What I didn't like too much is the Audio align. Revoice rules there.
thx for the good info !! ..

as far as missing 50% off .. yes, i saw it and waited too long .. will keep an eye out for the next sale ..
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Vari Audio is great. I hate working in the Melodyne enviroment. Vari Audio is fast, sonically sounds great and it's in the sample editor which makes it convenient. For single voice sources it's killer. K.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyd View Post
Vari Audio is great. I hate working in the Melodyne enviroment. Vari Audio is fast, sonically sounds great and it's in the sample editor which makes it convenient. For single voice sources it's killer. K.
thx for the info !!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyd View Post
i've been using the nuendo's built-in time stretching and pitch shifting capabilities even on finished mixes: took a bit of experimenting which settings to use but results were/are very convincing: to the degree that well trained and experienced classical musicians did not notice that an entire track was shifted upwards by a semitone (upon the band leader's request/decision)! :-)
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by deedeeyeah View Post
i've been using the nuendo's built-in time stretching and pitch shifting capabilities even on finished mixes: took a bit of experimenting which settings to use but results were/are very convincing: to the degree that well trained and experienced classical musicians did not notice that an entire track was shifted upwards by a semitone (upon the band leader's request/decision)! :-)
that's impressive !! and a little disconcereting that the band members did not notice .. haha
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwh1192 View Post
that's impressive !! and a little disconcereting that the band members did not notice .. haha
well, two violin players thought they would have played differently but they couldn't tell for sure as they - the whole 'tango orchestra' actually - needed to adjust depending on the singer's mood/how well he feels singing up to a specific register/note...
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

I haven't used VariAudio super extensively, but the difference from C9.5 to 10 is definitely noticeable. You do have to check a menu option in the VariAudio inspector pane to get all the boxes to appear around each note, but once you do, there's so much you can do directly from a note. Being able to sculpt volume on a per-segment basis is actually really nice, and I found it more useful for improving a vocal take than I expected

My vocal process is usually to run Nectar's pitch correction cranked, then use VariAudio to fix notes that are too pitchy or wobbly until everything that's being corrected is going to the right note, then I'll back it off in Nectar until I get a nice balance of natural-yet-in-tune. I'll then do more surgical editing as needed. For this workflow, variAudio is really good because it's directly inside Cubase and does what it needs to.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search