The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Drum Editing Advice Needed Please
Old 6th June 2019
Gear Head

Drum Editing Advice Needed Please

Hi everybody, I have a question for those of you who edit/slice/quantize drums:

I slice my edited drum performances and then quantize to the appropriate grid (usually 16th or 32nd note). This usually works great but the song I am working on now has drum parts that don't work with a 32nd note grid. Basically, if I quantise the audio with a 32nd grid about 85% of the drum performance sounds good but there are some parts that would need to be quantized to a 16th note grid.

I am dealing with 11 drum tracks (all in a folder) with multitrack editing on...

I was thinking I could use separate ''track versions'' to quantize the drums with a 32nd and then 16th note grid and copy and paste tracks from one track version into the other.

Besides doing this does anyone have any good tips for how to quantize one performance with different time grids!?

I would be very grateful!
Old 17th June 2019
Gear Addict
Work in chunks. I'll chop up the drums in 8-16 bars across the whole song and then quantize those sections. If I get to a fill that's in triplets or a different grid setting I'll chop that section, change the grid for it, then change it back once I've quantized and move on to the next section. No reason to use multiple track versions for that.
Old 17th June 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revson View Post
Work in chunks. I'll chop up the drums in 8-16 bars across the whole song and then quantize those sections. If I get to a fill that's in triplets or a different grid setting I'll chop that section, change the grid for it, then change it back once I've quantized and move on to the next section. No reason to use multiple track versions for that.
What Revson said ^^^

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search