The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Cubase 10 corrupt project, advice needed
Old 27th May 2019
Gear Maniac
Cubase 10 corrupt project, advice needed

Hi,

For most of my recording life I have been using Reaper. I got used to it and it was doing fine for me. Recently when I saw the Cubase sale, I thought I might try something new, maybe something more production friendly and just went for it. I had a couple of test runs with it and for most part I really liked it and it played well with my system.

But... Then I started working on my first real project, put a days work into it -> save -> backup. Next day trying to open it -> CRASH! So after dozen of times opening it I see it crashes on channel "Noise". OK, I remove the noise channel plugins from VST folder. IT OPENS! So I thought that the specific plugin does not play well with Cubase, but that is fine - I will find something else. Then do some more on the project -> save -> close. Then I try to open the project again and it crashes again, different aux channel. Do the same -> remove that plugin -> it opens. But this time I close it and try to reopen but without luck.

I have tried rescanning VST list, removing offended plugins. - did not work
Testing different sessions with loads of heavy plugins, to see if it is because of heavy load of session (I am using quite a lot of Acustica) - I could not.

So questions: ->
1. Is there any possible way of how to retrieve my session? It seems like it is really corrupt but I do not know what to do about it.
2. Has anyone else experienced similar issues and if so then how often? The corrupt project on the first real project does not give me confidence that this wont happen in the future.
3. Is there any crash logs that I could investigate?
4. Can I open a project and activate tracks one by one? In REAPER I could open a project with fx offline and then go track by track enabling them.

I am running 2016 MacBook Pro 15" with MacOS 10.14.3 and Cubase Pro 10 also using quite a lot of Acustica plugins which are memory intense. But all of these project open crashes happened on AUX tracks with no Acustica plugs.

Best regards,
Old 27th May 2019
Lives for gear

In the project folder you should have .bak files which Cubase creates. Look at the times and work backwards to a version that loads. If you cannot see the ,bak files they might be hidden so figure out how to find hidden files on MAC.

Stieny can do things to recover projects - never used it but log in and use the support features, phil out the forms upload the project and wait and wait and wait. Eventually you will get a response. Remember you paid to wait.

Another option is to send me the project file I will try and load it on PC. It might load then I can save it and send it back to you. Has worked in the past.

BBD
Old 27th May 2019
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackBackDrop View Post
In the project folder you should have .bak files which Cubase creates. Look at the times and work backwards to a version that loads. If you cannot see the ,bak files they might be hidden so figure out how to find hidden files on MAC.

Stieny can do things to recover projects - never used it but log in and use the support features, phil out the forms upload the project and wait and wait and wait. Eventually you will get a response. Remember you paid to wait.

Another option is to send me the project file I will try and load it on PC. It might load then I can save it and send it back to you. Has worked in the past.

BBD
Hey BBD,

First of all, thank you for your time and response!

The .bak solution did the trick. Lost some vibe I had, but atleast got back main parts.
The issue now is that I am feeling a little paranoid about closing a session and being able to recover.
Old 27th May 2019
Gear Maniac
Well, after restarting from .bak, then saving as new project and continuing work I get the same issue. This time I can not go back to .bak of the new project as that does not open as well.
This is really sad... I will try support and see if they can help.
Old 28th May 2019
mfx
Lives for gear

This is an issue I sometimes hit on Windows. Quite often its down to a project with substantial amount on plugins used.
My theory is the asio bugger and CPU headroom maybe peaking.
Like yourself to get the project back several things have proved fruitful
1. Rename the whole vstplugin filde so no plugins are found for the project. This enables the project to recall and disable all plugins prior to saving.
.of course this means a compete rescan of plugin folder
2. When saving projects disable any high usage plugins or high latency plugins of buffer is different to plugin latency. I often find acoutica plugins and reverb can cause issues.
3. As you have found back up. I often resave each new project as a session version just in case.
May not have solved all issue but could help some.
Old 28th May 2019
Gear Maniac
Lightbulb Found the culprit

Yesterday spent some time with this and I think I found the issue why my session got corrupt.

I traced back to what I did to that session which I restored but got corrupt. I opened one of my testing sessions and set up some more bus routing - created FX bus for fx tracks, and created a mix bus for all of the busses, added some heavy plugins on them.

Closed -> open -> crash.

Did this multiple times step by step(bus by bus/plugin by plugin) and found out that the issue was that I had a Mix bus with memory intensive plugins that is placed before other busses that have outputs assigned to them.

So in my case I had Mixbus with 127ms latency with 2 acustica plugs and then 4 buses that send output to this bus. I tried removing plugs from mixbus and then it did open, but as soon as it has some load and it is before other buses it crashes.

From my limited technical knowledge I would guess it could be some kind of race condition where the other buses are initialised before mix bus and they have no where to be routed to and it crashes.

I probably have to make this into a ticket and submit to Steinberg. I wonder how responsive they would be.

In the meantime, I know this issue and can work around this but some people might get burned and will loose some work.
Old 28th May 2019
Thanks for reporting. I always thought that Steinberg had identified all such “disallowed” routings but maybe this is a case that has slipped though.

Good work in isolating such a complex issue
Old 28th May 2019
Gear Maniac
No idea where I should be submitting this issue... In "My Support" I get a link that to distributors, but no way of making a ticket.

I guess then the Steinberg forum is the place to post this.

Maybe there is a Steinberg guy in these forums who could help me passing this issue down to their team?
Old 28th May 2019
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuulart View Post
Maybe there is a Steinberg guy in these forums who could help me passing this issue down to their team?
At least one of the mods there tries to replicate bugs reported on the forum and if confirmed raises it with Steinberg. I'm not sure if you can submit a ticket to them directly. Remember to say what version of Cubase and whether PC (and probably Windows version) or Mac (and version).

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search