The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Upgrade to Cubase 10 from Cubase 7?
Old 21st May 2019
Here for the gear

Upgrade to Cubase 10 from Cubase 7?

I'm a long time user of Cubase, since Cubase VST32. I've been running Cubase 7 for the past several years and have really enjoyed it.

I'm trying out the new Cubase Pro 10 demo as my upgrade is only $100 and I've been loyal to Cubase all along.

However, I can't decide if there is any reason for me to upgrade. I seem to like the UI design of 7 over 10. 10 seems to be overly contrasted and everything larger. I've got both programs open and toggling back and forth between to see the visual difference. I find that 7 is calmer to my eyes. I like the smaller detailed.

I think there comes a point where you've reached a plateau of innovation and you begin tinkering with something that doesn't really need tinkering with. The pressure to keep innovating to generate sales can harm good software. Heck I still use Windows 7.

Anyways, I see many folks who like the new look of Cubase. It would be nice when they make radical changes to give some options to have a classic look, or variations of UI design. In a way your forcing people to adapt to a new way when they were used to a previous way. Perhaps all they want are the new functions, not a whole new look.

Just my thoughts, going to give 10 some more time and see.. Thx
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear

Sounds that, like myself, you're on the verge of becoming a dinosaur.
At some point, as unlikely as it seems, your computer may die.
It happened to me this year. You'll go to get a new one and everything will have Win 10.
You can either try to find another old, broken down model, or update.
At that point you'll probably think about the current Cubase 10 offer and wish you would have
taken advantage of it.

Or maybe not.
Ive heard that some people still use Atari, but I'd have to see it to believe it.
Old 21st May 2019
Here for the gear

Haha thats funny, but really I don't think it's about becoming a dinosaur, some people prefer the old 50's & 60's guitars. Some people prefer vintage pedals. I think it's about seeing through the fluff and what is really real, quality and useful.

I spent some time last night tweaking the look of Cubase 10 colors to resemble that of v 7 and I am starting to adjust. I made a list of the things that really appeal to me to upgrade from v7. For $100 I think I will likely make the upgrade. Still believe in Cubase and want to support them.

Mixer snapshots - this is nice to make several mixes and bounce back between them, similar to photoshop you can go back easily after changing a design.
Sort plugins by vendor - small feature but really nice, I have so many waves plugs that it's nice to separate between Steinberg & Waves.
New revelation reverb plugin - haven't messed with revelation much but optimistic, more reverb options is always good, I think.
Updated plugin look - I do like the update look of the plugins, makes the workflow more enjoyable.
Crosshair on eq - Not sure if many people noticed this, but in the 4 band EQ there is a horizontal and vertical axis line that appears, was not in 7, more precise eq.
Toggle track visibility - This seems like it would be helpful when your further into your project and you have tons of tracks, and your tracking someone and just need to focus on a few tracks, nice to hide all the rest.

Other feartures
Variaudio update - I don't use much pitch correction, and when I did I had melodyne which seemed to work well for my needs. But from what I've heard this is quite good!
Sampler track - I've got Reason and really like the samplers there, not sure how much this appeals to me..
Old 21st May 2019
Lives for gear

I went from 5 to 9.5 last year when I saw that some earlier versions were no longer shown for updates.
I started getting nervous about having to start again from scratch, buying the program new again after 30 years.

I wasn't going to go for 10 until this sale happened. I usually skip at least one update, but I couldn't resist this one.
Old 22nd May 2019
Here for the gear

Paid for the upgrade today. I like the revelation reverb and loudness meter. Also the updated GUI on the plugins is easy on the eyes and a pleasure to work with. The drums sounds of Groove Agent have improved too. Happy
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear
Cubase SX 2 was the best looking version they made.
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nom3d View Post
I think there comes a point where you've reached a plateau of innovation and you begin tinkering with something that doesn't really need tinkering with. The pressure to keep innovating to generate sales can harm good software. Heck I still use Windows 7.
That plateau also applies to the VST tools too. I'm amazed how well marketing does, especially Native Instruments marketing because at one time they were the zenith of innovation. Today, not much excites me. So I don't tinker. Instead I go back to my trusted tools and attempt to re-learn them. Especially UAD emulations where there is so much good information based on many decades of use with the hardware.

Going from C7 to C10 Mix History, and when editing in key/drum editors using key modifiers improves my speed.

I still use Windows 7 with no complaints. But when I have my next PC built, I'll grudgingly install Windows 10.
Old 24th May 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by nom3d View Post
I seem to like the UI design of 7 over 10. 10 seems to be overly contrasted and everything larger. I've got both programs open and toggling back and forth between to see the visual difference. I find that 7 is calmer to my eyes. I like the smaller detailed.
I honestly think they peaked in their UI design at v6.5, it really is the easiest to look at for long periods, imo they've got steadily worse in UI since then so I still use 6.5 daily, 6.5 has the advantage with speed too, it's sooo much quicker to use, everything is slow and clunky since then.
Old 24th May 2019
Here for the gear

Just a funny note/tip. If you install v10 then open v7 you have access to the new plugins and goove agent.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search