The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Using phase reverse within a stereo mix
Old 20th May 2019
Here for the gear

Using phase reverse within a stereo mix

Hi,

I'm trying to create that sickening, super-wide effect perceived when one side of a stereo mix is phase reversed. However, I'm failing miserably.

I'm using Cubase Pro 9.5. My sources are all electronic, and my approach would have been to phase reverse one channel of stereo source. Problem is, I've got no control over these, only the whole channel that each routes to. I've tried stereo wideners, subgrouping, panning, m/s plug-ins, but nothing gives me that instant, 'it's all around me' feel that my client is after.

Can anyone give me signal flow instructions so I can create this effect on any chosen instrument, please? It's been a long time since I studied, so apologies if I've got the theory wrong, and let me know if I've missed any important details!

Cheers.
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear
You could send (not route) the stereo track to two group tracks, pan them left and right and swap the phase on one of them.
But don't forget, it will fail miserably in mono...
Old 20th May 2019
Lives for gear

One way I tried and sounded cool, need 4 faders, 1 & 2 are normal pan left right, take those same signals to another 2 channels (3 & 4), reverse phase then you have control of how much you add, you can try panning those (3 & 4) opposite and see which sounds best.. If you follow me..
I did it with a stereo piano track, not a stereo mix...
Just a little for a few seconds is kinda dramatic...A quick effect..
Old 24th May 2019
Here for the gear

Cheers.

I've tried those techniques and I'm not really getting what I want. Get the feeling it's very dependent on the source material.
Old 24th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harlowe Thrombey View Post
Cheers.

I've tried those techniques and I'm not really getting what I want. Get the feeling it's very dependent on the source material.
It needs to be a stereo track with some depth, a spaced pair...
Old 24th May 2019
Here for the gear

I'm currently using synth pads for convenience. Just tried couple of sine waves through a pair of mono synths. Bit better but might have to stick to Ambeo and rebuild.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search