The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Sell Me on Switching from Reason to Cubase Before the End of the Sale
Old 12th May 2019
  #1
Gear Maniac
 

Sell Me on Switching from Reason to Cubase Before the End of the Sale

Admittedly very interested, what would I be gaining?
Old 12th May 2019
  #2
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkjjk View Post
... what would I be gaining?
Depends on your needs or wishes, if any.
Old 13th May 2019
  #3
Jtt
Gear Addict
 
Jtt's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkjjk View Post
Admittedly very interested, what would I be gaining?
For one thing, you will never find it cheaper. I have been growing frustrated with the limitations of S1, and have been on the fence about switching for over a year now. I'm glad I did. Cubase seems very complete.

I few tutorials later, I'm off running.
Old 13th May 2019
  #4
Gear Addict
 
audiospecific's Avatar
 

I'd rather talk you into Reaper, because at least that works correctly.
Old 13th May 2019
  #5
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiospecific View Post
I'd rather talk you into Reaper, because at least that works correctly.
Reaper is my other choice - interested in your comment above; care to expand?
Old 13th May 2019
  #6
Gear Addict
 
audiospecific's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkjjk View Post
Reaper is my other choice - interested in your comment above; care to expand?
Sure why not! I was a user from 2003-2015. Have both cuebase and nuendo in different versions. One day I decided to upgrade it for my new machine, and they had offers to upgrade so I did. They definitely went backwards since Yamaha bought them.

1. It makes and uses a swap file on a machine with 32GB of ram.

2. The 3d enviroment is a process hog, and the gpu technology for running VST inside the video card is too experimental to be deployed on a commercial release. The results vary from combination of hard ware, but on top of that the brand name makes the difference because of drivers. So a pny nvidia is going to act different from an asus nvidia card.

3. The VCA mixer is broken. VCA is nice, and all, but wouldn't want to make sure it works before deploying it?

These are the three things off the top of my head.
Old 13th May 2019
  #7
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiospecific View Post
Sure why not! I was a user from 2003-2015. Have both cuebase and nuendo in different versions. One day I decided to upgrade it for my new machine, and they had offers to upgrade so I did. They definitely went backwards since Yamaha bought them.

1. It makes and uses a swap file on a machine with 32GB of ram.

2. The 3d enviroment is a process hog, and the gpu technology for running VST inside the video card is too experimental to be deployed on a commercial release. The results vary from combination of hard ware, but on top of that the brand name makes the difference because of drivers. So a pny nvidia is going to act different from an asus nvidia card.

3. The VCA mixer is broken. VCA is nice, and all, but wouldn't want to make sure it works before deploying it?

These are the three things off the top of my head.
Thank you!
Old 13th May 2019
  #8
Lives for gear
I’ve been demoing Cubase myself. I think Reason or Ableton are still more efficient for writing or anything loop or beat based. Cubase has great tools for group editing multi tracks, orchestration and writing scores. I don’t think there is any overlap at all. Cubase has very unique strengths and Reason likewise.
Old 13th May 2019
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiospecific View Post
Sure why not! I was a user from 2003-2015. Have both cuebase and nuendo in different versions. One day I decided to upgrade it for my new machine, and they had offers to upgrade so I did. They definitely went backwards since Yamaha bought them.
Absolutely the opposite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiospecific View Post
1. It makes and uses a swap file on a machine with 32GB of ram.
Where is this swap file located? I'd like to see what it looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiospecific View Post
2. The 3d enviroment is a process hog, and the gpu technology for running VST inside the video card is too experimental to be deployed on a commercial release. The results vary from combination of hard ware, but on top of that the brand name makes the difference because of drivers. So a pny nvidia is going to act different from an asus nvidia card.
What do you mean by "running VST inside the video card"? What part of Nuendo runs in the video card? Are you talking about the link between tracking a VR experience which runs on the GPU and Nuendo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiospecific View Post
3. The VCA mixer is broken. VCA is nice, and all, but wouldn't want to make sure it works before deploying it?
Yeah, they botched VCA completely when v7 came out, and only partially fixed it in v8. I haven't tried v10 yet, but the one workaround that seems to fix issues is to start projects with an automation node created on any relevant track/channel. Once there's an initial node things seem to work ok - unless it just got broken again in v10.. (?)
Old 14th May 2019
  #10
Lives for gear
 
chrischoir's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkjjk View Post
what would I be gaining?
You will gain performance in most cases. Lower latency, better plugin performance better audio performance.

VI and midi are superior to most other apps.

In some cases reason has some better features for looping and fine editing.

Overall Cubase is much better for audio production. But it depends on your workflow.
Old 14th May 2019
  #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiospecific View Post
Sure why not! I was a user from 2003-2015. Have both cuebase and nuendo in different versions. One day I decided to upgrade it for my new machine, and they had offers to upgrade so I did. They definitely went backwards since Yamaha bought them.

1. It makes and uses a swap file on a machine with 32GB of ram.

2. The 3d enviroment is a process hog, and the gpu technology for running VST inside the video card is too experimental to be deployed on a commercial release. The results vary from combination of hard ware, but on top of that the brand name makes the difference because of drivers. So a pny nvidia is going to act different from an asus nvidia card.

3. The VCA mixer is broken. VCA is nice, and all, but wouldn't want to make sure it works before deploying it?

These are the three things off the top of my head.
The first two are, as far as I know, simply not true. But please enlighten me if I’m wrong.

The third is relevant in some special workflows. Never been a problem for me.

Never used Reason but it surely seems like Steinberg is on a roll now. They’re churning out new and useful functionality and workflow enhancements at a steady rate. Not least Cubase 10 which included at ton of good stuff, currently for almost no money at all.

And the package as a whole covers (almost) all bases. One example is that I’m currently in the process of selling my Maschine because Groove Agent is easier to use in Cubase.

But I guess the workflow will be different from Reason so it’s a lot about taste and needs.
Old 14th May 2019
  #12
Lives for gear
 

You buy a ticket into an expensive DAW by today´s standards. Once you understand Steinberg´s marketing philosophy.
Old 14th May 2019
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjkjjk View Post
what would I be gaining?
Stress and holes in your walls. Stick to Reason. More flexible and stable. No bugs!!

EDIT: I have more than a decade`s experience with both Reason and Cubase, so I speak from experience.
Old 14th May 2019
  #14
Gear Addict
 
audiospecific's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Absolutely the opposite.



Where is this swap file located? I'd like to see what it looks like.



What do you mean by "running VST inside the video card"? What part of Nuendo runs in the video card? Are you talking about the link between tracking a VR experience which runs on the GPU and Nuendo?



Yeah, they botched VCA completely when v7 came out, and only partially fixed it in v8. I haven't tried v10 yet, but the one workaround that seems to fix issues is to start projects with an automation node created on any relevant track/channel. Once there's an initial node things seem to work ok - unless it just got broken again in v10.. (?)

I'm just telling my software experience. Like I said I was a Nuendo user for years, and ever since I upgraded from 3 to 8, it became an unreliable platform.

You see, software like this should not have any bugs in it. So the lazy R&D philosophy of letting the consumer find the flaws so they can de-bug it is the wrong approach. This is what some software vendors do to consumer software. But this isn't consumer software.
Old 14th May 2019
  #15
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deondamage View Post
Stick to Reason. More flexible and stable.
It is generally speaking most definitely not more flexible.
Old 14th May 2019
  #16
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiospecific View Post
I'm just telling my software experience.
No you're not. You made statements about what happens objectively. We just want to know more about;

- where this swap file is created
- what this VST vs. GPU is about

Just tell us where that stuff is so we can see for ourselves.
Old 14th May 2019
  #17
Gear Addict
 
audiospecific's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
No you're not. You made statements about what happens objectively. We just want to know more about;

- where this swap file is created
- what this VST vs. GPU is about

Just tell us where that stuff is so we can see for ourselves.
I had a ****ty software experience with it. Interesting that the nuendo live that I got in my yamaha mixer package works nice, but I'm thinking it's because it doesn't have that overly engineered mixer in it.

Like I said. they should have gave us users that bought 7 a real stable version, instead of making a different version and force us to pay them more money for something they should have fixed and there is no guarantee that 10 is any better.
Old 14th May 2019
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiospecific View Post
I had a ****ty software experience with it. Interesting that the nuendo live that I got in my yamaha mixer package works nice, but that's because it doesn't have that overly engineer mixer in it.

Like I said. they should have gave us users that bought 7 a real stable version, instead of making a different version and force us to pay them more money for something they should have fixed and there is no guarantee that 10 is any better.
Again, that's not what I'm talking about. Third time is maybe the charm:

- where this swap file is created?
- what's this VST vs. GPU is about?
Old 14th May 2019
  #19
Gear Addict
 
audiospecific's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Again, that's not what I'm talking about. Third time is maybe the charm:

- where this swap file is created?
- what's this VST vs. GPU is about?
so what you want me to do matt, set everything up and find that dongle and plug it in?


You goating me is beginning to piss me off internet wiener
Old 14th May 2019
  #20
Gear Addict
 
audiospecific's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Again, that's not what I'm talking about. Third time is maybe the charm:

- where this swap file is created?
- what's this VST vs. GPU is about?
I think you need to shut up because you don't know what you talk about anyways....

10 yeaR BADGE DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING TO ME BECAUSE i HAVE BEEN HERE OFF AND ON FOR 15 YEARS AND SEEN **** HEADS LIKE YOU MIS INFORM PEOPLE THEN PLAY A BITCH GAME WITH ME....



**** OFF !!
Old 14th May 2019
  #21
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiospecific View Post
so what you want me to do matt, set everything up and find that dongle and plug it in?
I want you to stop making stuff up like you often seem to do. You just throw out a bunch of nonsense fairly repeatedly and then when people ask you to back that up you just ignore it or misdirect.

Unfortunately some people are less informed and might think that what you say makes sense and they will be misled.

I really don't care about you personally, but I do care about our community. It's a bad thing when people like you throw out statements like you do, statements that don't make sense, and then complain about being called out over them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiospecific View Post
You goating me is beginning to piss me off internet wiener
So stop making statements like that then. I'm not going to stop pointing out what I think is misleading just because it annoys you. And I'm definitely not the only one who has called you out on these sorts of things. It's a pattern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiospecific View Post
I think you need to shut up because you don't know what you talk about anyways....
Then prove me wrong and prove yourself right by just answering those questions.


Quote:
Originally Posted by audiospecific View Post
10 yeaR BADGE DOESN'T MEAN ANYTHING TO ME BECAUSE i HAVE BEEN HERE OFF AND ON FOR 15 YEARS
I agree with that. Good thing I didn't say or imply how long we've been here mattered, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiospecific View Post
AND SEEN **** HEADS LIKE YOU MIS INFORM PEOPLE THEN PLAY A BITCH GAME WITH ME....



**** OFF !!
I think that says everything about you.

All I did was ask you to simply confirm where we could find the things you were talking about, or explain how they worked and here you are cursing and insulting me personally.

Really?
Old 14th May 2019
  #22
Deleted e999d8e
Guest
One of the problems with free, public forums is that, for the sake of "inclusion", standards of proof are often nonexistent.
Old 14th May 2019
  #23
Lives for gear
 

..something like that..
Old 15th May 2019
  #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
It is generally speaking most definitely not more flexible.
Mattiasnyc, respectfully, unless you are willing to elaborate, let`s agree to disagree on that statement.

I guess it also depends on what kind of music you produce or if you`re using it purely for mixing purposes. I started out on Reason back in the day, but quickly moved over to Cubase. However, Reason was always rewired to Cubase, simply because Cubase was unable to do certain things you could do with the modular system of Reason. When Reason 6 came out, I upgraded, thinking that I would be able to ditch Cubase, but without the VST support in Reason, it wasn`t possible, so I still had to produce with mainly with Cubase. However, when Reason started VST support, I quite using Cubase. Sure it has more functions, but all the major functions you use most, Reason can do as well. I can make a long list of things I can do in Reason that Cubase can not. It`s not a modular system, so there are a lot of restrictions.
Old 15th May 2019
  #25
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deondamage View Post
Mattiasnyc, respectfully, unless you are willing to elaborate, let`s agree to disagree on that statement.
I don't think mixing functionality is as flexible, or the ability to work with picture when scoring to it.. which, come to think of it; score editor..

And so on. If a person wants to do what a person with Reason typically does, and nothing else, then Reason is probably equally flexible or more so. But since we don't know what the OP wants and are making generalizations, I really do think Cubase is more flexible.
Old 15th May 2019
  #26
Here for the gear
 

For composers, the expression maps, score editor, and handling of high track counts (Junkie XL has around 3,000 tracks in his template, I've seen others with 500 running comfortably) are good selling points.

For audio, the new VariAudio is really good, plus it has pretty good comping, and it can do some cool things with cue mixes and multiple outputs that I haven't had the opportunity to make use of myself. It does however let me set up things like Sonarworks and an output limiter to listen through without affecting any exports.

For MIDI I hear it works really well with hardware, and the build in chord pads are pretty cool.
Old 16th May 2019
  #27
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
I don't think mixing functionality is as flexible, or the ability to work with picture when scoring to it.. which, come to think of it; score editor..

And so on. If a person wants to do what a person with Reason typically does, and nothing else, then Reason is probably equally flexible or more so. But since we don't know what the OP wants and are making generalizations, I really do think Cubase is more flexible.
Point taken, if scoring is your thing, or if you`re doing anything other than producing music. The fact that the OP is using Reason to start with is already an indication for me that Cubase will be an expensive experiment that will ultimately lead back to using Reason again, or at least having it rewired to Cubase. However, that seems pointless now with Reason being a fully functional DAW. If anything, than Ableton Live might be the more sensible direction to take. Especially if you`re used to the power of Combinator.

The thing that annoyed me most about Cubase, was the bugs. My last update was Cubase 8.5. Used it for about a month when suddenly the plugins wouldn`t open. That was the last straw for me. I realize that everyone has different experiences with it, but it seems that it has become so bloated with features, that it`s impossible for Steinberg to control the stability with all it`s users. MAYBE...

Reason has big updates as well, but somehow it remains completely stable. The only feature I miss from Cubase, is the ability to select the fade curves of audio clips. Having the feature of Logic Pro to adjust it more precisely would be even better. If it`s going to mess with stability, then I can live without it.
Old 18th May 2019
  #28
Gear Maniac
 

Cubase 10 Pro is just a very, very feature rich, complete daw and overall pretty solid. I hope at some point we get the session view / editor we see in Ableton but I can do without via the arranger. It’s partially a matter or workflow but ultimately you cant go wrong with Cubase.

For the 50 percent off it is very good value.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump