The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Wow...cubase 10 half price
Old 27th May 2019
  #151
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiospecific View Post
Personally, I think its a waste of a usb port now these days with dongles.

Because if someone wants to, they would crack it just for the fun of it.
That is how hackers are.

Btw, none of them is un-crackable.
I agree with you when you say that none of them is un-crackable, but protections that aren't based on a dongle are IMO ridiculously easy to crack.
Old 27th May 2019
  #152
Lives for gear
 
greggybud's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by audiospecific View Post
Btw, none of them is un-crackable.
However from what I read, Cubase hasn't been cracked in over 10 years. There must be a reason. Maybe it's not fun enough to crack? I can't help but believe the reason could be that nasty dongle.

I'm sure they have an idea of the market share they are currently losing. I'm also confident if and when they develop a new system, it will protect all legal Cubase users so C5 will continue to be the last available for free-loaders.
Old 27th May 2019
  #153
Lives for gear
 
Jim Rosebrook's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
Which DAW's are dongle free?
With Pro Tools now able to run dongle free, the question is which major DAW's DO require a dongle?
Old 27th May 2019
  #154
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rosebrook View Post
With Pro Tools now able to run dongle free, the question is which major DAW's DO require a dongle?
Well in that case I imagine SB will do something to stay competitive.

Still, I have Cubase X installed on two machines, and it takes but a moment to move the dongle about - it takes 10x as long to put a guitar strap on my Strat and plug it into an amp!

My irritation threshold is thankfully a lot higher than many, or so it appears reading threads.
Old 27th May 2019
  #155
Lives for gear
 
Jim Rosebrook's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
Well in that case I imagine SB will do something to stay competitive.

Still, I have Cubase X installed on two machines, and it takes but a moment to move the dongle about - it takes 10x as long to put a guitar strap on my Strat and plug it into an amp!

My irritation threshold is thankfully a lot higher than many, or so it appears reading threads.
For me, not wanting a dongle has zero to do with having Cubase on 2 machines and moving the authorization.

For me, as a laptop user, I want to launch my DAW wherever and whenever I want without the need to have a dongle attached.
Old 28th May 2019
  #156
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rosebrook View Post
For me, not wanting a dongle has zero to do with having Cubase on 2 machines and moving the authorization.

For me, as a laptop user, I want to launch my DAW wherever and whenever I want without the need to have a dongle attached.
Yes, I can see for a laptop user a dongle would be a PITA.
Old 28th May 2019
  #157
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
I have no issue at all, maybe I'm in the minority?
+1, & "nope"...
Old 28th May 2019
  #158
Lives for gear
I hate dongles as well. I have 13 devices on USB. Don't need any more. My Audio is not using USB, that's on a PCI card.
Old 30th May 2019
  #159
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecode View Post

You will ultimatly wind up break in on something. Its inevitable. It would be better if Steinberg moved away from the hardware dongle and onto newer auth technology.
No, they don't have to break or get lost. My dongle is permanently connected to a small usb hub that packs in with my interface for my laptop.

No wear and tear on the connection, no possibilty of the dongle snapping off of anything, and highly unlikely that my hub is gonna disappear.
Old 30th May 2019
  #160
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
Why would you want to run Cubase on more than one computer at a time?
Daw farm
Old 30th May 2019
  #161
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Rosebrook View Post
For me, not wanting a dongle has zero to do with having Cubase on 2 machines and moving the authorization.

For me, as a laptop user, I want to launch my DAW wherever and whenever I want without the need to have a dongle attached.
You mentioned you use Logic and Studio One. What do you not like about those two enough to check out moving to Cubase?
Old 30th May 2019
  #162
Lives for gear
 
Jim Rosebrook's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
You mentioned you use Logic and Studio One. What do you not like about those two enough to check out moving to Cubase?
For my personal projects, I have used Logic as my main DAW for years and am quite happy with it. I have no plans to move away from it.. it's tremendous for my needs.

Pro Tools is actually my secondary DAW for most other things I do for work purposes. Been using it since it's inception.

Studio One is something I use occasionally to keep tabs on how it is gaining ground on Pro Tools... I want another cross-platform DAW for work purposes "in-the-wings" for if ever the time is right to make a change.

Cubase is just a matter of curiosity at this point since the cross grade price is so cheap right now. I don't expect to use it much unless something really wows me.
Old 30th May 2019
  #163
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
No, they don't have to break or get lost....
I have a broken usb licenser. Was using it in a laptop, dropped the laptop while carrying it around, and it landed right where the dongle was plugged in.
It was the old style long type, and long enough ago that I no longer even remember what was on it.

I haven't had any trouble with the new shorter style (yet), and have never had a problem with the one I use with my desktop. But yes - they can break.
Also haven't lost one yet, but I can certainly see where that could happen.
Old 30th May 2019
  #164
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
No, they don't have to break or get lost. My dongle is permanently connected to a small usb hub that packs in with my interface for my laptop.

No wear and tear on the connection, no possibilty of the dongle snapping off of anything, and highly unlikely that my hub is gonna disappear.
+1 for a hub when on a laptop! I thought that was a given but when I hear stories here I realize that some people plug it straight into the laptop. That’s asking for breakage if you’re the slightest bit mobile.
Old 30th May 2019
  #165
Lives for gear
 

As an alternative to using a hub, a great solution for a laptop is to use a very short USB extension cord, even just a couple of inches long. It gives to the setup enough elasticity to avoid breaking stuff at the slightest impact. I used to have such a cord for a mobile internet router and I never had problems.
Old 1st June 2019
  #166
Gear Head
 
Seidy's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggybud View Post
However from what I read, Cubase hasn't been cracked in over 10 years. There must be a reason. Maybe it's not fun enough to crack? I can't help but believe the reason could be that nasty dongle.

I'm sure they have an idea of the market share they are currently losing. I'm also confident if and when they develop a new system, it will protect all legal Cubase users so C5 will continue to be the last available for free-loaders.
From what I remember when cracked Cubase 5 came out was that the cracker team wrote something in the lines of that it took hundreds of hours to bypass the protection because the licence is checked not only when the program starts but all the time during operation. Don't ask how I ended up reading this.

Also just purchased the upgrade from 9 Pro to 10
Old 1st June 2019
  #167
Lives for gear
 

I still have Cubase 5 on one of my computers, but I bought it from Steinberg, and I don't feel bad at all about that.

I've bought many, many versions of Cubase over the last 30 years.
Old 1st June 2019
  #168
Lives for gear
 
blaugruen7's Avatar
i pulled the trigger and bought the update.
21 GB want to be installed.

lets see if it is big love or a crash party or something in between.
Old 1st June 2019
  #169
Lives for gear
 
telecode's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
i pulled the trigger and bought the update.
21 GB want to be installed.

lets see if it is big love or a crash party or something in between.
I pulled the trigger as well. I wasn't able to find comparable MIDI and compositional functionality in other DAWs (chord proximity and other stuff). At the current discount price I think its stuff I will use and seems decent.

Newbie here. I don't know much about5 MIDI effects, but my guess is they are less resource intensive when using them on MIDI tracks instead of audio effects.
Old 1st June 2019
  #170
Lives for gear
 
blaugruen7's Avatar
Midi effects just effect midi
Different situation.
You can throw midi notes into effects and they freak totally out and then pass it into the sound plugin
Old 4th June 2019
  #171
Lives for gear
 
telecode's Avatar
 

What I am starting to realize today as I was looking for possible replacement laptops is, if you are considering moving to a more mobile setup, the usb dongle might prove to be an issue.USB ports are getting reduced on laptops. Its possilble there may be no USB ports in 5 or 10 years if other vendors follow apples lead in which case the Steinberg DAW solution with the USB dongle would not be a good option for some people.

https://www.apple.com/ca/macbook-pro/specs/
Old 4th June 2019
  #172
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecode View Post
What I am starting to realize today as I was looking for possible replacement laptops is, if you are considering moving to a more mobile setup, the usb dongle might prove to be an issue.USB ports are getting reduced on laptops. Its possilble there may be no USB ports in 5 or 10 years if other vendors follow apples lead in which case the Steinberg DAW solution with the USB dongle would not be a good option for some people.
No entity located outside the reality distortion field has ever followed Apple's path.
Old 4th June 2019
  #173
Lives for gear
 
blaugruen7's Avatar
I like cubase 10.
Two shortish sessions so far.
My plugins work. No crashes until now.

The clearer GUI is worth it for me alone.
Old 4th June 2019
  #174
Lives for gear
 
telecode's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
No entity located outside the reality distortion field has ever followed Apple's path.
Not sure I agree with you and I am not a Apple fanboy. If you look at various ultrabook products from Microsoft to Lenovo to Asus -- I think you see a trend of following apple design mentality. In everything from soldered on parts on motherboards to elimination of DVD/BR drives.
Old 11th June 2019
  #175
Mixer history and snapshots, the new Vari audio, sampler track. I love all those things coming from 8.5! Did not try the audio alignment yet but i am sure its solid as well.
Solid, no crashes yet .
Old 11th June 2019
  #176
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradovic View Post
Mixer history and snapshots, the new Vari audio, sampler track. I love all those things coming from 8.5! Did not try the audio alignment yet but i am sure its solid as well.
Solid, no crashes yet .
Don't tell me, I'm an idiot and I missed the deal :/
Old 12th June 2019
  #177
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEK3 View Post
As an alternative to using a hub, a great solution for a laptop is to use a very short USB extension cord, even just a couple of inches long. It gives to the setup enough elasticity to avoid breaking stuff at the slightest impact. I used to have such a cord for a mobile internet router and I never had problems.
Or do both. Here’s a sturdy /quality one.

https://www.delock.de/produkte/678_e.../merkmale.html

Extends and has hub inside with 3/4 ports. Very sturdy and also ‘flexible’ for more dynamic environments
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump