The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Weirdness when using DIY quantize grooves.
Old 26th April 2019
Gear Nut

Weirdness when using DIY quantize grooves.

Hey folks,

I've been trying to make usable groove presets to quantize midi and events and I'm getting this weird problem where notes will be shifted to locations that make no sense whatsoever. Can anyone else confirm this on their system?

An example: of these two notes being quantized with a groove created by me, one moves to the note position just to its left and the other skips past the one just to its left, to the one to the left of that one. Very weird.

Can anyone else confirm this type of behaviour on their system?

I find it often happens with notes on the downbeat: even though my grooves always have downbeats perfectly on the grid those notes/events will get shifted to the note position just before.

FYI I'm using 9.5 on OSX10.14.4.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Weirdness when using DIY quantize grooves.-screen-shot-2019-04-25-10.31.51-pm.jpg   Weirdness when using DIY quantize grooves.-screen-shot-2019-04-25-10.32.00-pm.jpg  
Old 3rd May 2019
Gear Nut

Maybe I'm the only one who actually uses this feature? haha
Old 3rd May 2019
Gear Guru

No you are not the only one.

I haven't seen this problem but I don't use the feature very often. I might not have tested it since I am on v10 of Cubase but in v9.5 and before it worked for me. (I'm on Win 10).

Alistair
Old 4th May 2019
Gear Nut

There must be some trick to it I'm missing. I've tried using midi, using audio, dragging in the clip vs doing it from the Sample editor. Nothing seems to give me a reliable, predictable outcome. Compare that with the presets, which are all rock-solid.

I even emailed Greg Ondo, the guru, twice and he didn't reply.
Old 6th May 2019
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodega. View Post
There must be some trick to it I'm missing. I've tried using midi, using audio, dragging in the clip vs doing it from the Sample editor. Nothing seems to give me a reliable, predictable outcome. Compare that with the presets, which are all rock-solid.

I even emailed Greg Ondo, the guru, twice and he didn't reply.

How long is the MIDI clip the notes are in? The original one I mean, the one you used to create the groove from. Is it exactly one loop-length long and does it start exactly on the bar? If it doesn't start exactly on the bar, the groove will have an offset as it counts from the start of the MIDI clip you use to create the groove from.

Can you show a screen shot that also shows the MIDI clips that you are using as a source for the groove and the target of the groove?

Alistair
Old 9th May 2019
Gear Nut

Hey Alistair - I certainly can!

Here are three pics. The one of just midi shows 2 one-bar midi parts. Both started as being quantized to a straight 16th-note grid. I adjusted the left part to my preferred values, then dragged that part to the midi panel. I then selected the right midi clip and clicked Quantize. That worked perfectly.

Then I selected the drum samples and Quantized those with the same values and... chaos.
Attached Thumbnails
Weirdness when using DIY quantize grooves.-screen-shot-2019-05-08-6.22.45-pm.jpg   Weirdness when using DIY quantize grooves.-screen-shot-2019-05-08-6.24.00-pm.jpg   Weirdness when using DIY quantize grooves.-screen-shot-2019-05-08-6.24.05-pm.jpg  
Old 24th May 2019
Gear Nut

bump!

Still trying to figure this one out.
Old 26th May 2019
Gear Nut

I created a video that shows the wonky behaviour:

https://youtu.be/WpvZJLsh-6Q

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search