The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Freeze group tracks DAW Software
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Freeze group tracks

So I am struggling with the performance of Cubase yet again.

The culprit would appear to demanding plugins but in this environment of high-end CPU heavy plugins, Cubase would do well to help out.

The main issue at the moment is as soon as I load up some nice plugins on my drum bus the performance goes down hill very quickly, I can freeze nearly every track in the project but that doesn't solve things completely.

I really need to be able to freeze groups and of course that will freeze all channels coming into the group as well.

This performance problem is not going to go away (it has been around forever) and despite my best efforts each project ends up in click and stutter land eventually.

Also I notice when performance is bad that quite often freezing tracks or removing some plugins makes no difference. Like no difference at all, maybe there are just a some bad plugins using all the memory up? Can we have a tool to find those? Or is Cubase not freeing memory as should be.

I think Steinberg should make performance a top priority, we have all the tools and gizmos we need, but what is the use if there is always a battle to use them. Can we have some additions to Cubase that ensure workflow is not interrupted by the failings of technology.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear
Giving the computer some slack by enlarging the audio buffers helps a lot to.
What version of Cubase?
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Don't worry I know all the tricks, but modern high-end plugins use a lot of CPU there is nothing you can do about that apart from not use them or freeze the audio.

It would be nice to know exactly how much each plugin is using the CPU/memory.

I use 8.5.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

By the way I have just tried the demo version of Cubase 10 and it seems to be exactly the same in terms of performance.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newspeak17 View Post
The culprit would appear to demanding plugins but in this environment of high-end CPU heavy plugins, Cubase would do well to help out.
If the problem is that plugins are demanding a lot of the CPU then there's probably only so much 'Cubase' can do about it.

Quote:
The main issue at the moment is as soon as I load up some nice plugins on my drum bus the performance goes down hill very quickly, I can freeze nearly every track in the project but that doesn't solve things completely.
You could maybe do a search on how Cubase loads the CPU's cores. I think different DAWs do it differently, and in some cases a channel gets all its inserts/plugins loaded on one core whereas in other DAWs the plugins get loaded on cores differently (i.e. not 'by channel' necessarily). If you see how Cubase does it you might find a different way of setting up your mixer and maybe that'll help.

Try Asio-Guard on if you haven't already.

Quote:
Also I notice when performance is bad that quite often freezing tracks or removing some plugins makes no difference. Like no difference at all, maybe there are just a some bad plugins using all the memory up? Can we have a tool to find those? Or is Cubase not freeing memory as should be.
This is apparently 'normal'. In testing using DAWbench a lot of people have exactly the same behavior. Flawless playback with for example 250 plugins loaded, and then #251 makes the project stutter on playback. Removing that last plugin won't help, and instead the tester may have to go back to 240-245 or something. After reboot it might again be possible to reach 250 plugins (but still not 251).

Quote:
I think Steinberg should make performance a top priority, we have all the tools and gizmos we need, but what is the use if there is always a battle to use them. Can we have some additions to Cubase that ensure workflow is not interrupted by the failings of technology.
Steinberg can't control your choice of computer hardware though.

And speaking of which:

- What do you have loaded in your project?
- What is your computer hardware? (cpu, ram, drives, mobo, interface)
Old 2 days ago
Here for the gear

The thing is there is lots Steinberg could do if they put their minds to it but they don't, they concentrate on new features and instruments which frankly would be best left to 3rd party developers.

My machine is plenty fast but like I said the plugins now use so many resources that we need better ways to manage performance even if that means changing workflow.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
The thing is there is lots Steinberg could do if they put their minds to it but they don't,
How do you know this?

If you don't really want help here then you should probably bring this up in the official forum.
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear
Quote:
I really need to be able to freeze groups and of course that will freeze all channels coming into the group as well.
Perhaps use Render In Place?

Quote:
... the plugins now use so many resources that we need better ways to manage performance even if that means changing workflow.
You are using Cubase plugins or 3rd party?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search