The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Studio One 4 vs Cubase 10
Old 12th February 2019
Here for the gear

Studio One 4 vs Cubase 10

Hi,

I'm buying my first DAW and I was wondering which one I should buy.
I'm more drawn to S1 but I heard it lacks some features, especially for MIDI manipulation. I will mostly be using virtual instruments.

I want to use it for pop/RnB/EDM songs, film scoring, mixing and mastering.

Also I can get S1 with the FaderPort for ~470€ because FaderPort includes the artist version of S1 and I can just upgrade from there.

Cubase is 550€ + 400€ for the controller...

Thanks
Old 12th February 2019
js1
Lives for gear

Comparing two DAWs, it's about features, stability, and workflow.

You are comparing two extremely feature rich DAWs, The only features that matter are the features that you need.

Stability is a tough one to get a true read on. These are EXTREMELY complex programs, made worse by the need to support other people's code (i.e. plugins) in their program and the requirement to support at least 10 years of computing on two different OSes and infinite variations of hardware. All DAWs have bugs, with most of them system dependent. All that matters is how it runs on YOUR system.

Warning - If you listen to the malcontents on the forums, you would think all DAWs are total trash.

Finally, workflow. How quick and easy can you do what you need to do? Is the behavior consistent throughout the program? This is rarely emphasized, but for me, workflow is the most important aspect of a DAW, given it can do what you need it to.

For features, in the midi/virtual instrument world, I'd give Cubase the nod today. But Studio One is extremely capable.

For stability, I would STRONGLY suggest downloading the demos for each, and give them a try. No issue with Studio One - just grab it and install. You'll need to buy an eLicenser for Cubase - but this is a small price to pay. You don't want to spend all that money, only to find out that you have audio dropouts or crashes on your system.

Workflow was the reason that I moved to Studio One. It's been their major focus since the first release, and I found it to be dramatically better than Cubase. Now, on paper, the new release of Cubase seems to have made workflow improvements. As I have yet to get my hands on it, I can't venture an opinion.

Hope this helps.
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

My opinion on choosing DAW's is that they're actually ALL good. There isn't a DAW around that will prevent you from making the music YOU want to make as good as you can make it. Just pick one, learn it through and through and get on with your music.

I've chosen Cubase about 20 years ago. While I do speak a little ProTools ("'cause it's like the industry standard dude") and can track and edit something in most other DAW's I won't switch because Cubase became like my instrument: I don't have to think about workflow, shortcuts, etc. And whatever flaws may exist in Cubase I just work around them without bothering too much.

Choose based on your budget and whatever look or workflow appears most. And more importantly: don't look back, just dive in the deep end and go make music.

Herwig
Old 15th February 2019
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPoet View Post
My opinion on choosing DAW's is that they're actually ALL good. There isn't a DAW around that will prevent you from making the music YOU want to make as good as you can make it. Just pick one, learn it through and through and get on with your music.
Agreed...

Just demo them and see what works for you. I saw in other threads you started that people are giving advice based on what they own and/or know, stating false stuff about the other. Don't listen to that, just demo both and see how you get along with it. Watch some tutorials, demo them and have fun
Old 15th February 2019
Lives for gear

I think I spent too much time and money over the years reading reviews and switching DAW software trying to find the 'right' one. A year ago when I switched from mac to pc, I did a daw software selection process and ended up with cubase. I kind of preferred pro tools, but it was not clear at the time if they had a non-subscription product available, and I did not want to get pushed into subscription land. Since I use the DAW as a creative tool, not a pro studio, Cubase looked like a good candidate. No regrets. I think the key is to get one and stick to it and learn it so that using it does not get in the way of the creative process.
Old 16th February 2019
Lives for gear
Cubase has more MIDI editing tools than Studio One. Studio one also has a flaw, it can't handle E-drum crash mutes (Polyphonic after touch thread). Since you bring up MIDI as a focus, go Cubase.

If all you wanted was a tape machine & Mixer, Studio one is better. Once detailed MIDI editing is desired, Cubase is better at the cost of the workflow not being as slick.
Old 17th February 2019
Lives for gear

Cubase also is much better for film scoring work. There’s a reason most composers use it.
Old 18th February 2019
kdm
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonkified View Post
Cubase also is much better for film scoring work. There’s a reason most composers use it.
Not necessarily. "Better" in this case depends on how a composer works. For me, Cubase/Nuendo have some great features, but Studio One has a better general worfklow that offsets the advantages of C/N - in some cases, rather significantly. The reason more composers use Cubase than Studio One (if any use S1), is quite simply that Studio One is too new. Until 4.1.3 it really wasn't in the running for film scoring, but v4 and even recent updates have added a few features that have, for me at least, put it firmly on the radar, and then some.

Yes, I have used both to score to film, and at the moment, Studio One has a slight edge - mainly because of minor features that I use constantly and make the day less tiring and more productive. I still love Cubase/Nuendo and have used both for years, so this isn't a comparison out of preference by any means.

Film scoring isn't centered around having a long list of esoteric midi data manipulation macros that we use once a day or week, or even integrated score editing capabilities (when a score to be recorded live is going to be notated elsewhere, or at least in a dedicated notation app anyway). Most of the time, the number of mouse clicks or key commands to accomplish basic tasks makes more of a difference. Of course this assumes the composer has keyboard skills to play in parts for a mockup rather than relying on a lot of editing.
Old 19th February 2019
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
I think I spent too much time and money over the years reading reviews and switching DAW software trying to find the 'right' one. A year ago when I switched from mac to pc, I did a daw software selection process and ended up with cubase. I kind of preferred pro tools, but it was not clear at the time if they had a non-subscription product available, and I did not want to get pushed into subscription land. Since I use the DAW as a creative tool, not a pro studio, Cubase looked like a good candidate. No regrets. I think the key is to get one and stick to it and learn it so that using it does not get in the way of the creative process.
I did exactly the same thing in the same situation (moving from mac to pc and so having to drop Logic), and demoed pretty much all the DAWs I could by doing a full (albeit simple) project with each of them before choosing the one which was the most non obstructive during the composition process, and ended up with Cubase too (Expression maps were the selling point for me at that time)
Old 20th February 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonkified View Post
I have heard that Digital Performer has some prominent film scoring users. I attribute this in part to the idea that once you learn a daw, you can be comfortable and productive and it takes a compelling reason to switch at that point. But, no doubt DP is equal to the task...

Then there is junkiexl who has that incredibly large cubase setup with templates containing a thousand tracks or whatever it is.
Old 21st February 2019
Here for the gear

I love Nuendo-cubase. It's solid and has many features. Great for post-production or just audio-midi recording and editing. I've used it for over 20 years.
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Does yesterday's S1 v4.5 update change anything?

I can't say any one DAW is ideal. I have used quite a few of them and not one of them ticks all the boxes. I would like to take all the good stuff from each one of them and merge it into one ideal DAW, but that's easier said than done. DAW developers are aware of the competition's developments and they are all moving towards delivering the amazing product we all have in mind. Can't wait to see what the future holds

Having used both Cubase and Studio One, I found Studio One more approachable especially as a first DAW. Cubase is a very comprehensive product but it's not as intuitive as Studio One. Great music has been made on both. Neither is ideal for my needs and I also use FL Studio and now I'm considering giving Bitwig a try.
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigacesen1 View Post
I'm buying my first DAW and I was wondering which one I should buy...

For a first DAW, Cubase Pro might be overkill.
You can currently get Elements for $50 or Artist for $155, use it for a while, and if you stick with it, upgrade later.
There are also demos, but you need a usb licenser for Artist or Pro.

If you haven't checked the comparison chart yet, take a look:
https://new.steinberg.net/cubase/compare-editions/
Old 22nd May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoox View Post
Does yesterday's S1 v4.5 update change anything?
One of the most requested things is MPE and still they don't implement it.
Old 22nd May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by willem1958 View Post
One of the most requested things is MPE and still they don't implement it.
Yeah I feel you man... IMO they have put a lot of resources into "novelty" features like the scratch pad, mix engine FX, the chords editor thing, and a rather useless arranger track that slices your arrangement into a thousand pieces the moment you shuffle things around (whereas Steinberg got this one 100% right—take that from someone who's not a Cubase fan), etc, while many core features, especially workflow enhancements, aren't getting done. Again, different users have different priorities, but I've always thought Studio One's biggest selling point was workflow—at least that's what sold me on it in the first place—and now that seems to have taken a backseat.
Old 29th May 2019
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zigacesen1 View Post
Hi,

I'm buying my first DAW and I was wondering which one I should buy.
I'm more drawn to S1 but I heard it lacks some features, especially for MIDI manipulation. I will mostly be using virtual instruments.

I want to use it for pop/RnB/EDM songs, film scoring, mixing and mastering.

Also I can get S1 with the FaderPort for ~470€ because FaderPort includes the artist version of S1 and I can just upgrade from there.

Cubase is 550€ + 400€ for the controller...

Thanks
Studio one - im also switching to it soon.
Old 29th May 2019
Lives for gear
@ zigacesen1

What features do you need.

Cubase Pro 10 has all the features and workflow I need to make my music - other DAW's don't.

You really have to download a demo and make a few tunes in each DAW to really know what works for you.

Let us know what you choose :-)

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search