The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Steinberg can you throw me a bone
Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear

Steinberg can you throw me a bone

So I'm checking out Cubase 10 and thinking maybe it's time I upgrade my Artist 8.5 to 10 Pro. I check out the price and it's $329. I'm thinking "hmmm, gotta think this through...this is a substantial cost and need to justify it. I wake up to an email this morning from Presonus with a sale offer, Studio One pro for $200!
I've got to think this through. Both these DAWS are powerful and do whatever I need although I need to compare the features a little more, but they are both more powerful than Cubase Artist

I would prefer to stay with Cubase but this deal for Studio One has my head spinning. If I pick up Studio One I still have Cubase for my Cubase projects and could always upgrade.

What would really make my day if this afternoon I get an email from Steinberg offering upgrade to Cubase 10 Pro for $199. Anyhow I'm going to download Studio One demo and try it out.

Come on Steiny throw me a bone,
Old 21st November 2018
Gear Nut

FWIW Steinberg usually throws us a bone every summer with a HUGE upgrade discount. I took advantage a couple of moons ago going from artist to pro, and I was still in the grace period to get the next/freshly released version. So either pay the piper now or hold on tight and do it later!
Old 21st November 2018
Gear Addict

The upgrade from 8.5 is listed as $199.00 on their site
Old 21st November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by drycappuccinoguy View Post
The upgrade from 8.5 is listed as $199.00 on their site
Not the upgrade from Artist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundrage View Post
upgrade my Artist 8.5 to 10 Pro.
Old 22nd November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundrage View Post
So I'm checking out Cubase 10 and thinking maybe it's time I upgrade my Artist 8.5 to 10 Pro. I check out the price and it's $329. I'm thinking "hmmm, gotta think this through...this is a substantial cost and need to justify it.
The only bone you'll get from Steinberg is one in the throat, after it's been properly sharpened

I got my Pro version for $300 brand new unopened box from a private seller, no 'upgrade'. Buying a version outright without the so called upgrade allows you to keep a separate license, on a separate dongle, which is good for using it on another machine. Also useful if wanting to do VST System Link. For these reasons, and others I never do so called upgrades, besides I go years apart on using versions. And for a little bit more you can buy a whole new version. I get the Pro versions because I keep thinking I may need something, but I don't ever really. I could get by with Artist for certain, but in my case I got Pro for the price of Artist, so...
Old 22nd November 2018
Lives for gear
The problem with Studio One for $200 is .... its not Cubase 10.
Old 22nd November 2018
Gear Addict

Would be great if Steinberg did a flash sale or something for Black Friday or even just for their loyal customers LOL
Can dream, should have upgraded a while ago so now it would not be as expensive....Lesson learnt ha ha ha
Old 23rd November 2018
Deleted 86c3d96
I just bought a license for 9.5 on September 15th, 2018. Most companies would give a free upgrade within that window, not Steinberg.
Old 23rd November 2018
Gear Addict

I think they’re missing out big time by having no deals to compete in the Black Friday extravaganza. They are selling replicated digital code for God’s sake!
Old 23rd November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Morley View Post
Would be great if Steinberg did a flash sale or something for Black Friday or even just for their loyal customers LOL
Can dream, should have upgraded a while ago so now it would not be as expensive....Lesson learnt ha ha ha
I've always got the sense that Steinberg doesn't view what are indeed 'loyal' customers as loyal customers, but more like milking them in a continual money grab. Some of these loyal customers go overboard in their loyalty, and more closely resembles delusional followers of a religion, no matter how logic free ..."guide us Landru" (Star Trek reference).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 86c3d96 View Post
I just bought a license for 9.5 on September 15th, 2018. Most companies would give a free upgrade within that window, not Steinberg.
But you knew that going in, as you'll know that when you upgrade next. I come expect nothing from Stenberg, other than buying the software & having it work at least well enough.
Old 23rd November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fergies Watch View Post
I think they’re missing out big time by having no deals to compete in the Black Friday extravaganza. They are selling replicated digital code for God’s sake!
To a limited set of potential users. It's a small market. Coders need to get paid and company needs to stay afloat.

Now, are they competitive even with higher prices and very few deals? Buyers decide.
Old 24th November 2018
Gear Addict

You are right, it's not a huge market and they have to make the R&D back somehow. However, it does feel sometimes that they are not really appreciating the loyalty of their customers. Especially in a climate with many decent DAWs around....I'm moaning but in truth I haven't found another DAW which works better for me at the moment. So guess gotta bit the bullet soon and pay full whack for the upgrade LOL
Old 24th November 2018
Lives for gear

Do you really need the Pro version, or could you just update your Artist?
Old 25th November 2018
Deleted 86c3d96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fogal View Post

But you knew that going in, as you'll know that when you upgrade next. I come expect nothing from Stenberg, other than buying the software & having it work at least well enough.
I assumed they would have a decent window for a free update, and I couldn't find any info on it. Anyhow, I bought a Black Friday deal on Studio One Pro 4, and will just move on. I was really dissatisfied with Cubase 9.5 performance, so I wasn't going to waste more time and money.
Old 26th November 2018
I don't feel every company has to have a Black Friday deal, but I don't see Steinberg as having been very high on rewarding their long time customers for much of anything. Such as specials on upgrades & especially those outright purchasing an entirely new version, and buying additional licenses etc, this could go a long way.

As a business owner for in home electrical services, I have to drive out to a home, takes time, gas, wear & tear on my vehicle, costs money. Yet there have been times where I didn't charge my full rate, or not at all, if it was something quick or no failure, and not far out of my way. At those times I could charge fully just for 'stopping by' ... not unreasonable. But for long time customers of several years, I don't charge for a literal stop by when not out of my way. No wonder I have loyal customers for decades. Sure, I could pull a 'Steinberg' and my customers could have a "Buyers decide" moment, which I'm sure when they need someone quick, they'd call me back anyway, because I have them by their short hairs. I don't see that as good business practice.
Old 27th November 2018
Gear Nut
Their upgrade model isn't bad. One year between 9.5 and 10 at a cost of $99. It's really a case of pay me now or pay me later (sometimes at a higher cost). Native Instruments is far worse. Their upgrade policy does nothing to reward loyal customers.
Old 27th November 2018
Lives for gear

They did have a really good Black Friday sale on some stuff - like Halion 6 for $139.99. 60% off:

"You can take advantage of this great offer by entering the coupon code: BLACKFRIDAY18 at checkout for the desktop apps or by visiting the App Store. But hurry - the sale is only on from November 23 to November 30!
BLACKFRIDAY18"

Black Friday | Steinberg

Pretty much a 'no-brainer'.
Old 27th November 2018
Re Steinberg

I think you should go with Cubase Pro.

I have 9 pro and will not upgrade for a few years. I went from 5 to 9 even then my 5 was still totally usable right up till when i upgraded.

They have a sale at least once a year. Register with Cubase and get email news and you will hear when the sale is on.
Old 27th November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by felis View Post
They did have a really good Black Friday sale on some stuff - like Halion 6 for $139.99. 60% off:

"You can take advantage of this great offer by entering the coupon code: BLACKFRIDAY18 at checkout for the desktop apps or by visiting the App Store. But hurry - the sale is only on from November 23 to November 30!
BLACKFRIDAY18"

Black Friday | Steinberg

I don't see the $139.00 price on Steinbergs Black Friday web page at check out, but I do see a few retailers like Sweetwater selling for $139.00 ..not a bad price actually.
Old 27th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fogal View Post
I don't see the $139.00 price on Steinbergs Black Friday web page at check out, but I do see a few retailers like Sweetwater selling for $139.00 ..not a bad price actually.

Did you enter " BLACKFRIDAY18 " as the code? It doesn't show the $139 price for me until I do that.
Normal full price is $349.99 - it's a great deal.
Old 28th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 86c3d96 View Post
I assumed they would have a decent window for a free update, and I couldn't find any info on it
Their window is 4 weeks.
It's always been 4 weeks (more or less)
How long did you want the window? Some developers only do 2 weeks.
Old 28th November 2018
Deleted 86c3d96
Quote:
Originally Posted by pentagon View Post
Their window is 4 weeks.
It's always been 4 weeks (more or less)
How long did you want the window? Some developers only do 2 weeks.
I said my piece. I am done. Bought Studio One. It doesn't matter. Write it off as a loss.
Old 28th November 2018
Quote:
Did you enter " BLACKFRIDAY18 " as the code? It doesn't show the $139 price for me until I do that.
Normal full price is $349.99 - it's a great deal.
No I didn't enter any code, I just clicked on checkout thinking it would show the discounted price.

Too bad there wasn't a great sale on the Absolute VST collection 3 as well.
Old 29th November 2018
Quote:

BLACKFRIDAY18"

Black Friday | Steinberg

A few weeks ago, there was a sale on UVI falcon, which came after I bought komplete 12. The lack of ability demoing the software made me pass. Same goes for Omnisphere, which is un-demo-able and also expensive. When I saw Steinberg black Friday deal, I thought, let's demo it, why not. I have never GAS it or even heard any hype.

Really like it. Bought it. Don't see myself going very deep into coding and scripts, but the basic is very intuitive and the there is a lot of sounds to begin tweaking with. The only issue I can see now is the lack of expansions or third party developing which can take this synth/sampler even higher...
Old 29th November 2018
I keep wondering though, how good is Halion 6 compared to Cubase Pro's already included selected Halion sounds. The stuff that's included in Cubase is 'ok' to 'decent' but I can't say I'm wowed. In fact I find most of them somewhat bland, compared to even my old Alesis QS keyboards sounds & Roland module which some are fantastic IMO. I know that with Halion 6 there will be many more sounds, but are they actually much 'better sounds? And I probably wouldn't make much use of tweaking, nor doing my own sampling. On the other hand, for $139.00 ....
Old 12th December 2018
Lives for gear

The op bought studio one for $200 (my condolences as it can not slave sync). It's now gonna cost him $529 to upgrade to cubase 12 in a couple of years, considering he's already $200 south. What's Steinberg's crossgrade pricing? Probably not that great.

A few spread-out pmts to Uncle Chuck may have been a painless way for the op to have gotten what he really wanted.
Old 15th December 2018
Lives for gear
I buy every new update to Cubase, which for me makes keeping up to date with the most important tool in my studio affordable.

If I didn't bother updating for say three years, I know I wouldn't put the money away and then I'd be faced with a big chunk to find in one go to get the latest version when it suddenly had features I deperately wanted, as happended when they added VCA's (actually DCA's) to Cubase.
Old 16th December 2018
Continual Cubase 'upgrade' paths is one way to go for those who want the latest and bother with fussing up the rest of everything else in their systems (meaning often most other things also must be continually upgraded), but it's really a matter of choice. It's not the route I ever take, being I can use the same version just for for several years. Just a handful of years ago, I was still using VST 5/32 I could very well still be using SX3, other than it didn't come in 64 bit. My last version purchase, is where I get off. But then I'm not running a studio for hire, only a personal hobby studio. I did purchase Halion & The Grand, which I never had to begin with, but I won't be upgrading them likely.
Old 23rd May 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks guys for the bone!
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search