The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Cubase 9.5 can it work on living room TV?
Old 16th November 2018
Here for the gear

Cubase 9.5 can it work on living room TV?

Hi all

I'm wondering if any nice peeps out there may give me some appropriate advice. I've recently injured myself and am therefore stuck to in my living room to recuperate for the next 8 weeks so. I'm gonna miss my music making as it is situated in my loft up a ladder! I had this idea to bring my computer down and attach it to my 4k 49" Sony TV. I've read that this is possible through an hdmi connection as my TV has the chroma 4:4:4 required. However I'm using Windows 10 and I've read worrying posts that the cubase graphics don't work correctly due to issues with dpi upscaling.

Has anyone any experience using their living room TV and if so can this be workable or am I foolish to try this?

I would be sitting 4ft at most away on the couch using wireless and Bluetooth to communicate with my computer.

Thank you.
Old 16th November 2018
Gear Addict

I use a 50" sony tv in the studio. Mine is 1080 and not 4k. But I think you could with ease adjust the tv resolution to 1080. Should work just fine if 4k dosent work.

Hope you have a quick recovery.
Old 16th November 2018
Here for the gear

Thanks for the quick reply. Good news 1080 it is then. I'll give this a go.
Old 16th November 2018
I once hooked up my Cubase DAW to my living room 55" Samsung TV just out of curiousity. Being too close wasn't right, but further back ok, this was without making any adjustments mind you.
Old 16th November 2018
Lives for gear

I have a mac mini hdmi plugged into my large screen tv. I use it for internet browsing and playing dvds, but if I had cubase running in it, I could see that as well. My tv has maybe 1080p resolution which is not to my eyes very satisfactory for viewing computer stuff, but no harm in trying it out. My pc based computers also have hdmi outputs on the mobo or video card, so same thing there.

Let us know how it works for you. Maybe the 4k makes it a viable computer monitor.
Old 16th November 2018
Here for the gear

Cheers for the responses guys. I'll sure report back.
Old 18th November 2018
Lives for gear

I use a 49" 4k Samsung TV as a monitor. If you have a 4k TV then you'll need a graphics card which can do HDMI 2.0 or 4k 60hz via HDMI (30hz is jerky as hell when moving your mouse around). Cheapest I know of is a GT1030
Attached Thumbnails
Cubase 9.5 can it work on living room TV?-tv.jpg  
Old 19th November 2018
Here for the gear

I have an nvidia gfx 1050ti which has hdmi 2.0 so should be okay thanks.
Old 20th November 2018
Lives for gear

Yup, using a Vizio 43" @ 4k on Win10. Works great.
Old 9th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Fogal View Post
I once hooked up my Cubase DAW to my living room 55" Samsung TV just out of curiousity. Being too close wasn't right, but further back ok, this was without making any adjustments mind you.
Hey Steve,
Just listened to This Time.
Nice song!
Old 9th January 2019
Here for the gear

I posted on another forum here, but I’m wondering whether to go with an LG 43 inch ultrawide vs some of the newer, and cheaper 4 k TVs. It’s looking like that’s very possible here. Is the picture crisp enough? I also wonder if there’s a refresh rate issue that would create lag, where things would be delayed, video wise compared to what’s happening computer wise.
I’ve decided to switch t Cubase 10 and also Mixbus 32 c, and hoping to get everything nicely on the screen and be able to see. Without having to lean into my screens like I am now, sometimes, lol.
I have an AMD Radeon card from a couple years ago. I hope that would be able to support the 4K spec.
Old 9th January 2019
Lives for gear

Most newer 4K TVs upscale a 1080p to 4K.
Old 9th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxman12 View Post
Most newer 4K TVs upscale a 1080p to 4K.
That I’ve found out. Thx!
I know I have to look at true 4K TVs.
Old 9th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBatt View Post
I posted on another forum here, but I’m wondering whether to go with an LG 43 inch ultrawide vs some of the newer, and cheaper 4 k TVs. It’s looking like that’s very possible here. Is the picture crisp enough? I also wonder if there’s a refresh rate issue that would create lag, where things would be delayed, video wise compared to what’s happening computer wise.
I’ve decided to switch t Cubase 10 and also Mixbus 32 c, and hoping to get everything nicely on the screen and be able to see. Without having to lean into my screens like I am now, sometimes, lol.
I have an AMD Radeon card from a couple years ago. I hope that would be able to support the 4K spec.
On a 4K screen at 4K resolution, your programs won't be any bigger than they are now. You just have a lot more real estate. My 43" screen basically allows for 4 windows open that are close to the same size as most regular monitors. If you want bigger everything, you could just stick to 1080 and get a bigger screen.

To answer your question about cheaper TV's, I have a Vizio 43". I paid about $350 at Costco. It's plenty crisp and there is no lag/latency. Just be sure to have a video card that can handle 4K with HDMI 2.0b or HDMI 2.1 if you wanna be future proof. Those will give a refresh rate as high or higher than most dedicated computer monitors. I have mine running on a Radeon RX 460, which I think was the cheapest card that spec'd at the time I got it. Works great.

The added benefit of having a TV as a monitor is chromecast and the smart TV features. I like to move to my laptop to do email and such and flip the TV over to Netflix or Amazon and have something playing in the background.
Old 9th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
On a 4K screen at 4K resolution, your programs won't be any bigger than they are now. You just have a lot more real estate. My 43" screen basically allows for 4 windows open that are close to the same size as most regular monitors. If you want bigger everything, you could just stick to 1080 and get a bigger screen.

To answer your question about cheaper TV's, I have a Vizio 43". I paid about $350 at Costco. It's plenty crisp and there is no lag/latency. Just be sure to have a video card that can handle 4K with HDMI 2.0b or HDMI 2.1 if you wanna be future proof. Those will give a refresh rate as high or higher than most dedicated computer monitors. I have mine running on a Radeon RX 460, which I think was the cheapest card that spec'd at the time I got it. Works great.

The added benefit of having a TV as a monitor is chromecast and the smart TV features. I like to move to my laptop to do email and such and flip the TV over to Netflix or Amazon and have something playing in the background.
Thanks! No issues with mouse dragging, lagging or 'ghosting'?
Old 9th January 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks! No issues with mouse dragging, lagging or 'ghosting'?
No, not in any way. Keep in mind there are millions of people that already have this setup. We aren't forging anything new here. If you think it's going to be an issue, you can always enable "game mode" or whatever it would be called on your TV to eliminate any sort of internal processing going on in the TV itself. I haven't noticed any issue with DAW use, even with video and synch.
Old 10th January 2019
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
No, not in any way. Keep in mind there are millions of people that already have this setup. We aren't forging anything new here. If you think it's going to be an issue, you can always enable "game mode" or whatever it would be called on your TV to eliminate any sort of internal processing going on in the TV itself. I haven't noticed any issue with DAW use, even with video and synch.
Awesome, great to know.
Old 11th January 2019
Quote:
Hey Steve,
Just listened to This Time.
Nice song!
Thanks for listening Jeff
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Hey everyone

It's been a while but now I can report back. I now have a 55inch Samsung q9fn in my living room that is rigged up to a Tivo box for watching TV, an Xbox for gaming and a PC for making music.

Okay Netflix etc looks great. Gaming is great.

Windows, Edge browser and Microsoft Office is sharp and easy to use with wireless keyboard etc.

Here comes the issue. Cubase 10 (yes I updated) is okay but not as sharp as using a standard pc monitor. The fonts aren't as crisp. It's weird cos certain Plugins pop out and look gorgeous whereas others aren't so.

Does anyone know if the look of Cubase can be improved? I think my TV has chroma 4:4:4. I have the dpi scaling on 250-300%.

It's strange how Word and Excel look tack sharp but Cubase and Lightroom are not as graphically sharp.

I can make do with what I've got but would be good if anyone had a similar experience and can explain why this is.

Thanks.

Last edited by Atari Wolf; 2 weeks ago at 11:34 AM.. Reason: Adding info
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atari Wolf View Post
Hey everyone

It's been a while but now I can report back. I now have a 55inch Samsung q9fn in my living room that is rigged up to a Tivo box for watching TV, an Xbox for gaming and a PC for making music.

Okay Netflix etc looks great. Gaming is great.

Windows, Edge browser and Microsoft Office is sharp and easy to use with wireless keyboard etc.

Here comes the issue. Cubase 10 (yes I updated) is okay but not as sharp as using a standard pc monitor. The fonts aren't as crisp. It's weird cos certain Plugins pop out and look gorgeous whereas others aren't so.

Does anyone know if the look of Cubase can be improved? I think my TV has chroma 4:4:4. I have the dpi scaling on 250-300%.

It's strange how Word and Excel look tack sharp but Cubase and Lightroom are not as graphically sharp.

I can make do with what I've got but would be good if anyone had a similar experience and can explain why this is.

Thanks.
You have to have your scaling in Windows set correctly. When you do, everything is extremely sharp. See this Cubase support page:

Cubase 10: HiDPI support on Windows 10 – Steinberg Support

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search