The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
dont buy cubase 10 its not stable
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

dont buy cubase 10 its not stable

I bought Cubase 10 this afternoon and its very very buggy and for me pretty much unusable as it is until they patch it.
my main issue is if your using halion 6 it crashes Cubase 10..theres major conflicts with it I don't know what the issu is but if you try and load it on a instrument channel the halion 6 gui starts then as soon as it loads Cubase just shuts down and crashes..if you try and drag it from the instrument bay it crashes.i use halion 6 alot and this causes old projects to complete crash so cant use them in 10.

it also takes over 30 minutes for Cubase 10 to boot up it starts fast then it initializes the content library and that's when its painful it hits about 120 then stops and then it finally finishes over 30 minutes later theres 162 items it scans.

this happens everytime you click on it too load !!!

the mouse tool box has changed too you no longer have more otions you only get limited tools in Cubase 9.5 I have full tools and editing features such as processing audio but in version 10 you cant you have to use the top option bar which for me slows me down big time for years ive right mouse clicked for options:(

---------------
a few things i do like though are the new plugin skins/new arranger gui/new sidechain features/groove agent 5se/cpu seems slightly better/loads of new content 21gb !! /padshop and retrologue are roli compatible now /channel strip is amazing and will be my goto main feature once cubase 10 stops crashing.

---

as always cubase is very buggy to start with but hopefully itll get ironed out and the halion 6 bug should get fixed i hope i think it could be something to do with the new halion library manager.
Old 15th November 2018
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by djwaxxy View Post
I bought Cubase 10 this afternoon and its very very buggy and for me pretty much unusable as it is until they patch it.
my main issue is if your using halion 6 it crashes Cubase 10..theres major conflicts with it I don't know what the issu is but if you try and load it on a instrument channel the halion 6 gui starts then as soon as it loads Cubase just shuts down and crashes..if you try and drag it from the instrument bay it crashes.i use halion 6 alot and this causes old projects to complete crash so cant use them in 10.

it also takes over 30 minutes for Cubase 10 to boot up it starts fast then it initializes the content library and that's when its painful it hits about 120 then stops and then it finally finishes over 30 minutes later theres 162 items it scans.

this happens everytime you click on it too load !!!

the mouse tool box has changed too you no longer have more otions you only get limited tools in Cubase 9.5 I have full tools and editing features such as processing audio but in version 10 you cant you have to use the top option bar which for me slows me down big time for years ive right mouse clicked for options:(

---------------
a few things i do like though are the new plugin skins/new arranger gui/new sidechain features/groove agent 5se/cpu seems slightly better/loads of new content 21gb !! /padshop and retrologue are roli compatible now /channel strip is amazing and will be my goto main feature once cubase 10 stops crashing.

---

as always cubase is very buggy to start with but hopefully itll get ironed out and the halion 6 bug should get fixed i hope i think it could be something to do with the new halion library manager.
What hardware/OS are you running? The more details the more useful this feedback is.
Old 15th November 2018
Gear Addict

Im testing out the C10.

I have not had issues with Halion 6.

Im using Win 10.

A 30 min boot, might be issues with dublicates in your content folders. The installer is less then stellar with this new Library manager.
I had a mess when installing C10. Content was dumped in to roaming folders and the lot. So had to spend 30 min and cleanup.
Im guessing the Halion issue might be cause of dublicates and mixing older cubase sound folders with C10 folders.

For the added menu use ctrl + mouse click. They are all still there. But devided up. So some key+mouse combos are needed.
Steinberg would be screwed if they totaly removed old options like that.
You can look in your tool modifires and see what combos triggers the tools you need.

Else there are many nice small workflow improvements. Still old bugs that needs to be adressed. And I guess I will run in to some new bugs.
Old 15th November 2018
I had the long boot time with 9.5 and found out in my case it was the antivirus software. Seems like every single time I started Cubase, the antivirus software scanned the entire content library again. After a short while, there was an update for my antivirus program, and from then on, Cubase booted fine within a few seconds. I have done the upgrade to 10 and it also boots fine, within a few seconds.
So, check your antivirus software, the real time protection scanning the entire content on program startup might be the source of the problem. You can try out by simply disabling the real time protection for a moment and then start up Cubase.
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by parlopower View Post
I had the long boot time with 9.5 and found out in my case it was the antivirus software. Seems like every single time I started Cubase, the antivirus software scanned the entire content library again. After a short while, there was an update for my antivirus program, and from then on, Cubase booted fine within a few seconds. I have done the upgrade to 10 and it also boots fine, within a few seconds.
So, check your antivirus software, the real time protection scanning the entire content on program startup might be the source of the problem. You can try out by simply disabling the real time protection for a moment and then start up Cubase.
Would love to hear the experiences of any Mac users....
Old 15th November 2018
I am a Mac user. That was on High Sierra. 2014 Macbook Pro Quadcore i7 16GB RAM.
Old 15th November 2018
Gear Maniac

I am using it with MacOS (USB)and Win10 (TB) and it has been much better performing than 9.5 or 9 ever was.
Much more stable at lower latencies with native processing and VST instruments.

There are a few known issues that will get patched soon. The only one I have encountered is some plugins appearing as just a white window.

This is the best version of Cubase since 6.5 in my experience. Really happy with it.
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soapmak3r View Post
I am using it with MacOS (USB)and Win10 (TB) and it has been much better performing than 9.5 or 9 ever was.
Much more stable at lower latencies with native processing and VST instruments.

There are a few known issues that will get patched soon. The only one I have encountered is some plugins appearing as just a white window.

This is the best version of Cubase since 6.5 in my experience. Really happy with it.
Are you on High Sierra like the previous poster having problems?

If so, very confusing how two people on the same platform are having completely different experiences.....frustrating because I'd love to upgrade but....
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

got a reply from Steinberg there is a conflict with halion 6 and Cubase 10 I was told theres a hotfix coming soon.

ive been playing with Cubase 10 again tonight and theres a few more things ive found out are new and I like them ..theres the photo snapshot of all your plugins ..what this means is when you load up a plugin youll see a small white camera icon at top of the plugin you click on that and it takes a picture of its gui and then tags it to your plugin .
they've also finally updated chopper !!! that's been my goto plugin for years and years and finally its got the update it deserves its brilliant.
reverence has also been updated with new impulses from classic hardware reverb units and it sounds amazing.

but one thing I still cant get back is in previous versions off Cubase I could right mouse click and it gave me lots of tools and editing options but now all I have is a small set of tools and cant get the extra editing options on right clicking.
Old 15th November 2018
Lives for gear

problems with windows 10 updated here..
at the minute there suggesting you downgrade to windows 8.1 instead of windows 10 too fix things !!

Windows 10: audio dropouts on multi-core CPU setups – Steinberg Support
Old 15th November 2018
Quote:
at the minute there suggesting you downgrade to windows 8.1 instead of windows 10 too fix things !!

1. Does not apply to Cubase 10
2. Only applies to systems with a laaarge amount of cores
3. It been known for at least a year
4. It’s not necessarily a Cubase thing, also partly an MS thing
5. There’s a fix

So a facepalm in this thread is perhaps a bit exaggerated....
Old 15th November 2018
Gear Addict

Very more CPU friendly than Cubase 9.5
Old 15th November 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Studio 87 View Post
Very more CPU friendly than Cubase 9.5
Well that's good to hear. A few months ago tested the Cubase waters again with 9.5, and compared to S1, I could only run projects about half the size in Cubase as I could with S1, with the same settings.

A couple of folks have pointed out that CX is more CPU friendly. I'll check out the demo and see how it compares. I hope that this proves to be true.
Old 16th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedberg View Post
1. Does not apply to Cubase 10
2. Only applies to systems with a laaarge amount of cores
3. It been known for at least a year
4. It’s not necessarily a Cubase thing, also partly an MS thing
5. There’s a fix

So a facepalm in this thread is perhaps a bit exaggerated....
yeah I saw that but on the Steinberg forums that's what the mod pmd me.
concerning multicore use some are saying its not working correctly yet ,there asking for feedback .
Old 16th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Are you on High Sierra like the previous poster having problems?

If so, very confusing how two people on the same platform are having completely different experiences.....frustrating because I'd love to upgrade but....
Yes, High Sierra.

It's good practise to keep the previous version of the DAW on hand until any issues are ironed out with a new wide release. Save a new version for the new program version etc.
Old 16th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:

From the top of that article: "This article refers to Cubase versions prior to Cubase 10 only.
Cubase 10 is automatically adapting the amount of real-time threads to the system."

This is an old issue that Cubase has completely resolved by removing the driver dependency that was causing it. This allows Cubase 10 to perform much better than previous versions.
Old 16th November 2018
Gear Maniac

Quote:
but one thing I still cant get back is in previous versions off Cubase I could right mouse click and it gave me lots of tools and editing options but now all I have is a small set of tools and cant get the extra editing options on right clicking.
It's usually in the preferences somewhere. Editing section maybe. I haven't had it that way since version 6.5.
Old 16th November 2018
Lives for gear

concerning right click options it has changed completely.

now you only see what options are usuable with what you want to do to a part.
if you hold down ctrl on your keyboard and right click a audio part you will only see audio specific options if its midi youll only see midi options.
it makes sense but id gotten used to the old way because that's how it was since it started I gotta learn a new way now..hope they put a option in a future update too give you the choice of old and new way.

another heads up.

colour schemes are causing crashes in Cubase 10 .theres a new way they process track colours and that's causing crashes especially with colour coded older projects theres two ways around it ..run in windows 8 compatibility mode (this has helped load older projects some are reporting)..second option don't load older projects into Cubase 10 until its fixed.steinberg have confirmed this problem..also deactivate in preferances create custom colours for channels auto.

another issue ive got Cubase 10 wont remember my audio connections so each time I load up Cubase I have to set it up eachtime.ive created quick doodle projects,saved them then loaded them up and its done it everytime also if I create or try and load a old project it too needs reconfiguring eachtime.
Old 16th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
...reverence has also been updated with new impulses from classic hardware reverb units and it sounds amazing...
That's interesting. I like reverence quite a bit. Did they change it beyond adding more impulse options?

My plan right now, such as it is, is to wait until the patch comes out, and see if it goes on sale on black friday. I am interested in learning more about the performance improvements. I have 9.5 so its $100 right now for me (I don't do 99)
Old 16th November 2018
Gear Nut
Your thread title "dont buy Cubase 10 its not stable" is a bit OTT. You might be having issues, but that statement is a bit harsh.

Running absolutely fine here on Windows 10, upgraded from 8.5. Seems like a decent update. New distortion plug-in is really nice.
Old 16th November 2018
I am testing c10 on high sierra, and I dont have any specific issues yet, except from mixconsole 2 refuse to stay on my third monitor when I boot up cubase. Boot time, cpu and other loading seems to be much of the same as c9.5.

The new soundfiles did not install automaticly during installing, i manually installed it afterwards. My theory to that bug is i have moved all content from the default location to a seperate drive and therefore the installer failed.
Old 16th November 2018
Lives for gear

so there is a problem with halion 6, right?
Old 16th November 2018
Rock solid for 2 days straight here.
Old 16th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponzi View Post
That's interesting. I like reverence quite a bit. Did they change it beyond adding more impulse options?

My plan right now, such as it is, is to wait until the patch comes out, and see if it goes on sale on black friday. I am interested in learning more about the performance improvements. I have 9.5 so its $100 right now for me (I don't do 99)
they've also changed the gui its looking much smarter and cleaner.it was always one of my favourite reverbs and now it wil be my goto reverb.
Old 16th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaugruen7 View Post
so there is a problem with halion 6, right?
yes ive already had a reply from Steinberg and others have posted on other forums .I got told theres a hotfix coming out very soon.
Old 16th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodFreefall View Post
Your thread title "dont buy Cubase 10 its not stable" is a bit OTT. You might be having issues, but that statement is a bit harsh.

Running absolutely fine here on Windows 10, upgraded from 8.5. Seems like a decent update. New distortion plug-in is really nice.
I don't think its ott Im sorry if people feel it is I was just giving a heads up.i bought it because im a life long Cubase user and I was having issues with asio conflicts which Steinberg told me were fixed in Cubase 10.

cpu usuage does seem better in Cubase 10 and there is a lot I do like about it after using it for a few days but it is very buggy and unstable ive already lost 2 tracks I was doing but I hope it becomes stable soon because the new features and plugins are superb.
Old 16th November 2018
Lives for gear

It's not a big secret.

Upgrading to a .0 version can be risky.

I will wait 2 to 4 weeks until the dust has settled.
Old 17th November 2018
Dor
Lives for gear

I'm running into plugin scaling issues under Windows with the new hiDPI mode enabled. The same plugins running under Mojave work fine.
Old 17th November 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor View Post
I'm running into plugin scaling issues under Windows with the new hiDPI mode enabled. The same plugins running under Mojave work fine.
I have heared that this mode does only work with certain monitors. Somewhere is a faq at the Steinberg site
Old 17th November 2018
Here for the gear
C10 is hanging when I load system 8 (Roland cloud plugin). Anyone else?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search