The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Cubase Pro 9.5 install : setup has stopped working
Old 31st October 2018
Here for the gear
Cubase Pro 9.5 install : setup has stopped working

Hi, I've just bought upgrade from Cubase Elements 9.5 to Cubase 9.5 Pro.

I was told to install it directly via the 9.5 Pro installer. But the installer crashed with the following message "setup has stopped working"

This error message occurs both with Cubase Pro or Cubase Elements installers. I'm surprise as I previously managed to install Elements 9.5 without any problem. Could some update in my computer be involved?

I've read that Nvidia drivers could cause some troubles. I've rolled back my Nvidia drivers, tried to switch the graphic process to Intel graphics as described in the faq but none of these steps were successful.

Could you please help me to install Cubase?
Old 1st November 2018
Lives for gear
What OS?
Old 1st November 2018
Here for the gear
Hi BT64, I'm running Windows 8.1 64 bits. It's up to date, even with Net Framework 4.7.2
Old 1st November 2018
Lives for gear
Hi Sven, Check in your task manager if any other install is running before you start Cubase installation.
Install as admin. If that all doesn't help try install in safe mode (if that works check your computer for mallware).
Old 1st November 2018
Here for the gear
Hi BT64. I already tried to perform the install with no opened program, running it as an admin, but the problem remained the same.

I just tried to install after restarting in safe mode, but the installer crashed the same way. I've tried all these installation with the USB eLicenser plugged or unplugged
Old 2nd November 2018
Gear Addict

Ofthen when the installer fails, it is due to a corrupted installer.

Try downloading c9.5 again.
Old 2nd November 2018
Here for the gear
Hi Therion and thank you for your answer.

I've downloaded it via "Steinberg Download Assistant". Is there another way to download it?

Could it be possible that both Cubase Elements and Pro would give the same problem?
Old 2nd November 2018
Gear Addict

The download assistant isnt all that great. I had same issue with c9. Was missing a few bytes of the download, even though the assistant was happy with the download. Got it right on my second attempt.

So it is worth a try. You can find plenty of topics about it, if you google the steinberg forums.

For c9.5 I dont know of any other place to get it. Might be worth a PM to one of the steinberg guys on the steinberg forum, and ask for a direct download link.
Old 2nd November 2018
Here for the gear
Thank you very much, I had started the download again with the download assistant. I thought it was pretty reliable. I hope I'll get it right this time.

If it doesn't work I'll ask Steinberg support or in the official forum for another download link.

Fingers crossed so
Old 2nd November 2018
Gear Addict

I hope it works

Thinking about it.
While you wait on the download. Try this with the first download.
Try using something like winrar to unpack the file, instead of using the built in unpacker.
With a fresh winrar. You can rule out any issues with missing compression packages.
Old 2nd November 2018
Here for the gear
Hi Therion. What do you mean by the "built in unpacker"? How can I use it?

When the download is done, I just go unzip the file then click on the "start installation.exe" file that was in it. Unfortunately, the problem remained the same, as the downloaded file was exactly the same size as the one I first downloaded

Is there another way to do it?

Just to be sure, as I may be doing it wrong for the installation process:
  • Download Steinberg download assistant
  • Download the installation files in need (in my case Cubase Pro 9.5 full)
  • Unzip the downloaded file
  • Run the installer

Am I right or am I missing something?
Old 2nd November 2018
Lives for gear
Hi Sven, the Download assistant downloads a zip file.
When opening it you can run the 'start instalation.exe' but maybe just unzip the whole thing to a folder first.
You could try to run the 'Setup.exe' in the "Cubase for Windows" folder to.
But a currupt installer could indeed be the problem so downloading and running again is a good idea.
Old 2nd November 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenDenns View Post
Hi Therion. What do you mean by the "built in unpacker"? How can I use it?

When the download is done, I just go unzip the file then click on the "start installation.exe" file that was in it. Unfortunately, the problem remained the same, as the downloaded file was exactly the same size as the one I first downloaded

Is there another way to do it?

Just to be sure, as I may be doing it wrong for the installation process:
  • Download Steinberg download assistant
  • Download the installation files in need (in my case Cubase Pro 9.5 full)
  • Unzip the downloaded file
  • Run the installer

Am I right or am I missing something?
Damn that is correct. The big installers come as zip. I mixed it up with the .5-1 updates wich are much smaller in size.

But still there might be issues with your zip program and the zipper steinberg has used.
Wich program do you use for the Zip?
The best ones I know of are 7-Zip and winrar. They are always up to date with the latest and greatest.

You can also try go direct on the installers, as BT64 mentions.
You can open up the folder and find the 95 installer and run it.
The content installers you should find in the content folder.
Might have better luck doing it manualy.

My guess is Downloaded file size or Zip program, not doing the job.
Old 2nd November 2018
Here for the gear
Hi Therion and BT64, thank you for the message and sorry for this delayed answer. Yes they are all big zip file, so it seems ok to unzip them (I thought I was doing it wrong).

I use 7-zip to unzip the file. I tried running the "setup.exe" file, it just failed as "start installation.exe".

The only option is to install the msi (Cubase95.msi, HALionSonicSE.msi, LibraryManager.msi, Register_HALion_Content.msi) but there are lots of other msi files in the subfolders so it seems complicated to install them all one by one (there surely is a special order to install them)

It is a pain Cubase is so hard to install :'(
Old 3rd November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
It is a pain Cubase is so hard to install :'(
It shouldn't be, but in your case it is.
I'm guessing a problem with your computer...
Old 3rd November 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
It shouldn't be, but in your case it is.
I'm guessing a problem with your computer...
You're right. I know the problem is by my side.

Normally I should'nt have to use the eLicenser before the install is over?
Old 3rd November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
The only option is to install the msi (Cubase95.msi, HALionSonicSE.msi, LibraryManager.msi, Register_HALion_Content.msi) but there are lots of other msi files in the subfolders so it seems complicated to install them all one by one (there surely is a special order to install them)
I would start with Cubase95.msi. The rest shouldn't make a difference.
Don't forget the Additional Content.

Quote:
Normally I should'nt have to use the eLicenser before the install is over?
No. It will check (and start) once you start Cubase after install.

Wondering what could be wrong with installing the way it should..
What happens if you run CMD (in admin mode) and type: MSIExec (enter)?
If no error,
type: services.msc in the CMD and search for Windows Installer.
Have a look at the Properties. What does the Startup type box say?
Old 3rd November 2018
Here for the gear
Hi BT64, thank you for trying to help me.

When typing MSIExec into the admin command line, I've got a "Windows Installer" popup window that shows up, with all the option I can use in the command line

When going to properties of the windows installer services, it seems to be stopped? cf. screenshot
Attached Thumbnails
Cubase Pro 9.5 install : setup has stopped working-screenclip-2-.png  
Old 3rd November 2018
Lives for gear
Hmm ok, that seems to be all good.
Old 3rd November 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Hmm ok, that seems to be all good.
Shouldn't the service be started?
Old 3rd November 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
Shouldn't the service be started?
No, Startup type should be Manual (witch is) not Disabled, it will start if you start a installer. ;-)
Old 4th November 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
No, Startup type should be Manual (witch is) not Disabled, it will start if you start a installer. ;-)
Thank you BT64. All seems ok so, I'm waiting for the monthly windows updates. I hope it'll solve the problem
Old 11th November 2018
Here for the gear
Hi everyone, I finally managed to install Cubase Pro

First I installed Cubase Elements 9.5 by launching each executable one by one. I then uninstalled it completely.

Then I could launch the Cubase Pro installer as it didn't crash anymore. So I uninstalled each component completely as some seemed to remain even after being uninstalled with Cubase Elements 9.5

Then I performed the complete install of Cubase Pro 9.5. It seemed to work nicely. I'm actually upgrading to 9.5.41, I hope it'll work too

Thanks for all your help !!
Old 11th November 2018
Lives for gear
Nice.
Old 11th November 2018
Here for the gear
Quote:
Nice.
Thanks again for all your help !!
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I have the same issue--installer quits as soon as the progress bar hits the right side. No message, just disappears. Have had a few back and forth with steinberg support, but basically the same suggestions as here. I can install cubase, apparently, using all the little msi files, but not the main one. Sure, the problem may be on my computer, but that begs the question--how do I determine what the problem is?

This all started when I tried to move the halion content out of my user profile. I presume there is some remnant in the registry or elsewhere that is confusing the cubase installer, but I can't figure out what all to delete to get a clean slate.

PS. I got tired of dinking around and trying to get it working the 'right' way. I just went through and ran every single msi file and its all set up now. With the content installers, I was able to direct the content to be put on my 'samples' disk which is what I wanted in the first place.

Last edited by ponzi; 4 weeks ago at 12:01 AM..
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search