The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording Cubase videos for Youtube
Old 21st July 2018
Gear Head

Recording Cubase videos for Youtube

Hello,

I have been wondering these days how the people who upload to Youtube tutorials and music making videos with Cubase do it. I want to ask you guys how can I make that kind of videos.

The first question is, how can I take the audio from Cubase and the microphone at the same time? How do they do that?

And, what software can I use for that?

For now that is enough.

Thanks in advance.
Old 21st July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muchachote View Post
Hello,

And, what software can I use for that?

Thanks in advance.
I use OBS to capture the screen and Voicemeeter to get the audio from the DAW to the screen capture software.

Both of these products are free.
Old 22nd July 2018
Gear Head

But how do you do to record from two sources at the same time? (Microphone and PC sound [line?]). I mean, with my soundcard I must select one or another.
Old 22nd July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
But how do you do to record from two sources at the same time? (Microphone and PC sound [line?]). I mean, with my soundcard I must select one or another.
OBS allows you to select multiple sources. The other option would be to simply add a microphone input to your DAW session and therefore all the audio would be coming from once "source," albeit virtual.

ETA: It's not necessary to send your microphone audio through your DAW, but some people do it that way.
Old 23rd July 2018
Gear Head

Thank you. I'll take a look of those two softwares.
Old 24th July 2018
Gear Head

I have installed both softwares and I can't get OBS to get audio from Cubase. It's getting the microphone right but the desktop audio meter is not moving.

I have set the Voicemeeter ASIO in the Cubase VST audio system settings, as I have seen in tutorials, but OBS is still not getting the audio.

I think that my Voicemeeter settings are ok because OBS gets the audio correctly from other sources on my desktop but not from Cubase. This is frustrating.

What can be the problem?
Old 25th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
I have installed both softwares and I can't get OBS to get audio from Cubase. It's getting the microphone right but the desktop audio meter is not moving.

I have set the Voicemeeter ASIO in the Cubase VST audio system settings, as I have seen in tutorials, but OBS is still not getting the audio.

I think that my Voicemeeter settings are ok because OBS gets the audio correctly from other sources on my desktop but not from Cubase. This is frustrating.

What can be the problem?
You'll probably have to add an input to OBS for the Voicemeeter ASIO device.
Old 25th July 2018
Gear Head

These are my OBS audio settings. The thing in Japanese is the microphone:

And these are the desktop audio settings:

And the Voicemeeter settings:

I can't figure out what can be wrong.
Old 26th July 2018
Gear Head

Quote:
I can't figure out what can be wrong.
Can I see your cubase settings? You're using the Voicemeeter ASIO as your playback device, right?
Old 28th July 2018
Gear Head

Yes, that's why I can't understand why is this happening.

What else can I check/try?
Old 29th July 2018
Lives for gear
Hate to butt in but I'm enjoying the Spanish lesson.

Does 'segundo plano' mean minimized in this context? I know what it means as a standalone phrase. Just curious.

And 'Pre-carga de disco'? Preload from disk? Guess I could open up Cubase and look but I'm not at my DAW.

Sorry. Just practising my Spanish, most of which I learned from my Ecuadorian neighbors and much time spent in Tijuana in my 'youth'.
Old 30th July 2018
Gear Head

I would answer your questions about the Spanish language if you had try to help me with the topic of this thread. As you can see I'm pretty worried with this problem with Cubase and OBS. Asking only about Spanish and not saying anything about the topic of the thread is rude, to say the least.

Anyway, I'm neither Ecuatorian nor Mexican, I'm Spanish.

Any kind person who can explain me why is that happening to me? What can be set up incorrectly? I'm quite desperate and I have no clue.
Old 31st July 2018
Gear Head

in OBS you have your audio device as Voicemeeter input. Shouldn't that be output, as you're wanting to capture the output from your DAW?
Old 31st July 2018
Lives for gear
Quote:
I would answer your questions about the Spanish language if you had try to help me with the topic of this thread. As you can see I'm pretty worried with this problem with Cubase and OBS. Asking only about Spanish and not saying anything about the topic of the thread is rude, to say the least.

Anyway, I'm neither Ecuatorian nor Mexican, I'm Spanish.

Any kind person who can explain me why is that happening to me? What can be set up incorrectly? I'm quite desperate and I have no clue.
Oops. Sorry.

Guess I gel better with the 'colonials'. Your answer has revealed more than you know. I'm out.
Old 31st July 2018
Gear Head

Havoc911,

I don't have the output option. Voicemeeter input is the only Voicemeeter related option that gets displayed in OBS.
Old 31st July 2018
Gear Head

I'm afraid I'm out of ideas, then. Sorry I couldn't help.

I don't remember setup being complicated. I don't currently have any of these programs installed to check settings. There has to be other programs for streaming out there, maybe you can find something else that you can get to work with your system.
Old 1st August 2018
Gear Head

Ok, thank you anyway.

If anyone has any clues of why is this happening to me please, tell me.
Old 18th January 2019
Gear Head

I post this because I think it would be useful to people who come across this thread.

I have found this useful:

How to Set Up a DAW for Streaming - aeseaes

It's a method using the plugin Voxengo Recorder.

At least, I managed to get the Cubase audio to get detected by OBS. The problem is that I'm struggling with the delay between the mic and the signal from Voxengo Recorder. I don't know how to solve that yet, but there is hope.
Old 18th January 2019
Lives for gear

I can't answer your software specific question but there are other software options you can look at like Camtasia or even the screen capture that is built into Windows 10.

I think what others have done is to have a live input in Cubase for your mic and just record the output from Cubase with your lesson material and live input combined.

I used to do tutorials for a business and found the best way to get a professional product was to separate the process. Write a script, record a VO, record a screen capture and then put the 2 together. It was much easier for me to make a professional product that way.

screen recording question
Old 18th January 2019
Gear Head

I want to record Cubase to make videos for YouTube. That maybe tutorials about music theory or how I make songs... etc...

OBS is free and easy for me to use. The problem is that it doesn't get the audio from Cubase directly because it comes from Asio (I guess the same problem would happen with another softwares as well). So, what Voxengo Recorder does is allowing you to make OBS get the audio from Cubase, but it seems that there is a delay. The audio and the video gets desynchronized. I have been hours trying to fix that problem but I don't know how. Cubase audio usually "hijacks" other software's and that what happens with OBS monitoring also. So, monitoring the desktop audio from OBS is not possible because with Cubase opened OBS monitoring simply doesn't work (no sound). I have tried desperately recording test videos with different miliseconds settings (-5, -10...) to see if I can adjust it but I can't grasp the logic because it always sounds desynchronized.

Getting the audio sounding in OBS has been a big achievement but with this delay it's useless, for now.

I'm using Windows 7 so I haven't a Windows screen capture software.

Recording the audio with a Cubase audio track has problems to me. The audio track would be visible, I wouldn't know how to adjust the video and the audio exactly then, etc...
Old 18th January 2019
Lives for gear

Sounds like a pain in the butt for sure!

As I mentioned in the thread I linked, have you looked at tutorials on how to make tutorials?

YouTube
Old 18th January 2019
Gear Head

Of course, if I'm having this hard time with this is because I have watched a lot of tutorials about this matter and none of them solves my problem. Almost all of them talk about OBS + Voice Meeter, which is something that didn't work in my case. Voice Meeter didn't detect the audio from Cubase no matter how I configured it. That's why I have been looking for another options but it seems that, due to the awful desynchronization between audio and video, Voxengo Recorder is not an available option for me either.

Maybe I should try another screen capture software but I don't have any clue of something else free and easy to use like OBS.
Old 19th January 2019
Lives for gear

Did you try checking the liberar el controlador ASIO box to see what would happen? Cubase shouldn't be hijacking anything.
Old 19th January 2019
Gear Addict
What will your Cubase Youtube video's be about?
Old 19th January 2019
Gear Head

VitaEtMusica,

I have tried it now and it doesn't serve. I need to check the OBS while Cubase is sounding and monitorize the signal that Voxengo Recorder sends to it to adjust the timing (my idea is to make the signal come earlier in OBS to eliminate the delay but I'm not sure if that would work). The problem is that if you check that box Cubase stops sounding when you put the OBS at the forefront.

BT64,

What I mainly do is arranged versions/remixes of retro games music. One of my ideas is to make a video showing the process of how I do that. From the audio import phase to the end, showing how I adjust the tempo, how I copy the different parts, how I figure out the chords, etc.

Other idea I have if to pick game themes and analyze the melody, the harmony and the relationship between them. There is not much content about that with retro games music, so I think it would be interesting. People would participate by giving ideas in the comment section of other chords that would match and so on.

The videos would be in Spanish, though.

This is my YouTube channel if you want to check out the music I make:

YouTube
Old 19th January 2019
Gear Addict
What audio interface are you using?
Old 19th January 2019
Gear Head

I'm using an Asus Xonar HDAV 1.3 soundcard.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head

Do you have any other suggestions of free softwares that I could use to achieve this? It seems that with OBS is impossible in my system.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search