The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Audio devices that utilize 'direct monitoring' in Cubase / Nuendo
Old 10th February 2018
Gear Addict
Audio devices that utilize 'direct monitoring' in Cubase / Nuendo

I know that the Steinberg UR series utilize ASIO direct monitoring in Cubase (Mac/Win), but I wanted to see an updated list (2018) of hardware that offers ASIO direct monitoring in Cubase / Nuendo, including the OS platform. Just to clarify, the 'direct monitoring' option under 'Studio Setup > VST Audio System' is NOT greyed out.

Here's what I know from personal experience:

- RME Multiface / Digiface (Mac n/a; Win available)

- Lynx Aurora 8 / 16 via Thunderbolt (Mac n/a; Win available)

[Can anyone confirm if Dante devices connected through a Rednet PCIeR utilizes ASIO DM?]

Last edited by roy_mattie; 10th February 2018 at 07:27 PM..
Old 7th April 2018
Gear Addict
Bump on this post. UR Series is fully integrated. Any other interfaces that offer this?
Old 6th January 2019
P.J
Gear Head

Won't any interface with ASIO2 driver support ASIO Direct Monitoring in Cubase?
Old 8th January 2019
Lives for gear

Yeah, this is anything excep that new Presonus Quantum without a mixer to DO direct monitoring.

...on Windows.

on OSX none of it works except first party Steinberg boxes BY apple’s design.
Old 9th January 2019
P.J
Gear Head

Strange, Echo Audiofire 4 supports ASIO2 but ASIO Direct Monitoring in Cubase is still greyed out
Old 9th January 2019
Lives for gear
The hardware needs to 'allow' Cubase to configure the routing.
Lots of hardware can route for direct monitoring, little let Cubase (or any other DAW) do that.
To be honest, never had the need to do that in Cubase, I just use the interface software for that.
Old 10th January 2019
P.J
Gear Head

Thanks for reply
Well, I set it on my EMU 1212m but I can still hear the input latency

Asio Direct Monitor Send/return - E-mu 1212M Owner's Manual [Page 39]

Last edited by P.J; 10th January 2019 at 06:52 PM..
Old 11th January 2019
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by BT64 View Post
The hardware needs to 'allow' Cubase to configure the routing.
Lots of hardware can route for direct monitoring, little let Cubase (or any other DAW) do that.
To be honest, never had the need to do that in Cubase, I just use the interface software for that.

After using the interfaces that actually allow Cubase / Nuendo to manage the direct mon settings, I don't go back to using 3rd party interface mixers. I've tried a ton of different workflow options, and my favorite for tracking vocals & instruments is by far tape-machine style - but with low-latency direct monitoring in Cubase engaged. Logic used to have this option with Apogee...don't know if they still do...?

For example, when punching in a line or phrase for a lead vocal, I want them to hear what they did before and to be able to sing-along before I punch them in. When they're singing, I don't want to hear their previously-recorded part AND their live vocal simultaneously. It also throws off their performance to have double the volume of the 2 parts combined which then drop in half when they get to the punch point. Try this with drum overdubs, and it's a hot mess with flams and differing intensity based on what they're listening back to.

Using interface direct monitoring through their own mixers outside of Cubase is a pain in this scenario. Wish more audio interface manufacturers would make this feature available!!
Old 11th January 2019
Lives for gear

I think all RME interfaces that can have zero latency monitor capability can do direct monitoring from Cubase. I'll add at least Babyface Pro to the mix- that's with an Apogee converter on the ADAT i/o.
Old 16th May 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaEtMusica View Post
I think all RME interfaces that can have zero latency monitor capability can do direct monitoring from Cubase. I'll add at least Babyface Pro to the mix- that's with an Apogee converter on the ADAT i/o.
Yes they can, but unfortunately not for mac OS X.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search