The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Importing Midi Tempo Maps into Cubase DAW Software
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Importing Midi Tempo Maps into Cubase

Let's say I have created a template of sorts in Cubase, and I want to open a new project based upon it.

I also have tempo mapped an existing audio file in Pro Tools, but want to work in Cubase to do all the midi work.

Can I import the midi file from PT...WITH all the tempo info, into Cubase?

Any step by step on this would be appreciated. I did some searches and noticed a few having problems doing this.

Thx
Tom
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Nut

Cubase File menu>Import>MIDI File

This tutorial explains how to Tempo Map a MIDI file without a tempo map which is very cool but doesn't answer the the OP question.
YouTube
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Choosing "Import Midi File" does not import the tempo info at least in this demo of Cubase Elements. Just the midi data.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Controller 11 View Post
This function works very well in the pro version of Cubase.
I've never used Elements.

Maybe try the demo of the pro version.
Try Cubase now for 30 days for free | Steinberg
It's actually very convoluted even in the Pro version if you are trying to import tempo into an existing session. Logic and PT both simply ask "Do you wish to import tempo information?" when you import a midi file....say "yes" and you are done.

In Cubase though....
Found this which explains how:

YouTube
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Choosing "Import Midi File" does not import the tempo info at least in this demo of Cubase Elements. Just the midi data.
Setting Cubase Preferences to Import MIDI File with Tempo
In Cubase Pro, again, I can't speak about Elements, in the Preferences>MIDI>MIDI File, if "Ignore Master Track Events On Merge" is unchecked, Cubase will automatically import the tempo information of an imported MIDI file.

Your original question was about importing a MIDI file with tempo information. The Information above will take care of that.

The video I posted two days demonstrated MIDI tempo mapping which Cubase does quite efficiently. In Logic, one has to use beat mapping, at least at this time.

Perhaps others will weigh in to help you.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Controller 11 View Post
In Cubase Pro, again, I can't speak about Elements, in the Preferences>MIDI>MIDI File, if "Ignore Master Track Events On Merge" is unchecked, Cubase will automatically import the tempo information of an imported MIDI file.

Your original question was about importing a MIDI file with tempo information. The Information above will take care of that.

The video I posted two days demonstrated MIDI tempo mapping which Cubase does quite efficiently. In Logic, one has to use beat mapping, at least at this time.

Perhaps others will weigh in to help you.
Why is this guy jumping through so many hoops do it I wonder?

YouTube

Anyway, I'll get a USB key in a day or so from Amazon, and download the Pro demo and see. The problem the link I sent you deals with is importing a midi file into and EXISTING project (such a template).

I know about Cubase beat mapping, I'm just very fast at doing it in PT. I never use Logic for it, which is a nightmare.

But thanks I'll see what happens once the key gets here and I can download the pro demo.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

Are you sure you have the Tempo Track enabled? Is the MIDI track set to Linear Timebase? Did you include the master track when exporting from Pro Tools? Shouldn't need a higher version for this.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

Here's a summary:
Attachments
1- Some MIDI nonsense in Logic with a tempo map, exported as a MIDI file.
2- Cubase preference unchecked to allow import of MIDI with tempo.
3- A Cubase project masquerading as a template, before importing the MIDI file with temp
4- Cubase File menu>Import>MIDI File. The Cubase project tempo track shows the imported tempo map.

Cheers.
Attached Thumbnails
Importing Midi Tempo Maps into Cubase-midi-tempo-lpx.png   Importing Midi Tempo Maps into Cubase-cubase-pref.png   Importing Midi Tempo Maps into Cubase-cubase-tempo-track-before-import.png   Importing Midi Tempo Maps into Cubase-cubase-imported-file-tempo.png  
Old 1 week ago
Huh, only occasionally I've ever imported any midi tracks ... from say, a list of midi songs to use as a song starter , to recreate a cover song for my own personal enjoyment (if I didn't recreate from scratch). Usually all the instrument tracks imported just fine into whatever version of Cubase I was using, but always used the tempo Cubase was set to prior to import.
I actually had not considered learning how I could import the original tempo of the midi I was using, party I didn't know how, and also didn't want to bother. After all, I could change the tempo manually afterwards. I didn't know about unchecking the option "Ignore master track events on merge" ... I'll have to try that next time I import midi song files.

For my own songs & purposes, I can't remember ever needing to export or import midi. I have/use a dedicated DAW PC, just for recording all my midi tracks into, and run it as VSTi's slave machine over Cubase's VST System Link. The slave pipes in a stereo sub-mix into my audio DAW PC, hence why I don't need to export/import midi.
Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search