The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Audio Dropouts Cubase 9.5/Windows 10
Old 2nd December 2017
Gear Nut

Audio Dropouts Cubase 9.5/Windows 10

Hey guys. So I recently upgraded to Windows 10. My specs are

32 gig ram
M-Power z87 MB
i7 4770k CPU

RME UFX Plus Interface ( latest drivers )

Cubase 9.5 Pro / Windows 10 pro (latest updates )

So I am getting constant audio dropouts. In and out of cubase. Even just listening to youtube. When it happens in my DAW, the CPU meter will clip red but it won't actually spike. I will just hear a weird noise/crack or pop and it's clipped. When recording, it says " Recording error - Audio drop out detected ".

I have tried everything to fix this. Disabling WIFI, Disabling CPU throttling by activating ALL cores by making sure they are 100% and unparked. I have followed windows/steinberg's instructions to optimize windows/cubase in power settings. I have disabled Turbo Boost and C states in my MB Bios. Disabled RealTek completely in device manager. I have literally tried everything I can think of to fix this issue...does anyone have any ideas that I haven't thought of?

Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Your specs are nearly identical to mine and the only thing that ever happens to me is that the wifi rarely peaks the cpu out. It's temporary and happens maybe once a day.

Not sure how to help, but that doesn't seem right.
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Wait a minute, you are not using onboard video, are you? I've heard many people that have had that issue w/o having even a basic VGA.
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear
Nvidia or ATi video? Also make sure HDMi audio is disabled in Win playback devices.
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Run LatencyMon for 15 minutes and post the report.
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear

Ah, you upgraded to W10. Look in Update History to see what, if any driver/s were 'upgraded'.
Old 2nd December 2017
Here for the gear

Check all usb power saving settings (not just audio device) in device manager.

Do this after each and every W10 update, Windows has a tendency to reset these to power saving when it feels like it.
Old 2nd December 2017
Gear Nut

Hey guys. Thank you all for the replies! I seem to have fixed the problem.. When I disabled my WIFI.. I guess it didn't save the settings for some reason. I disabled it again, I also disabled my wireless network adapter / bluetooth adapter in device manager and so far I have had ZERO drop outs. Out of everything.. It was my network adapter lol. So strange. Should I enable C states / turbo boost in my BIOS? Or is it better to leave that stuff disabled in general? Again thanks for the quick replies guys. This site never fails! haha
Old 2nd December 2017
Lives for gear

You know how the matrix works, if you would have never posted it, it would have never got fixed.
Old 3rd December 2017
Gear Head
Industry's Avatar

in had a USB extender fitted and my outdated lan driver was causing spikes. updated driver and removed the USB card and all went away. dpc latencymon got me there. great resource.
Old 3rd December 2017
Gear Maniac
What helped me on 3 systems was deleting rewire.dll !!! hope it helps
Old 4th December 2017
Lives for gear

It's interesting (in a not so fun way) how people always have to workaround "different" things to get stuff to work.

Windows 7 was close, but you had to make the UAC DEAD. Kill it dead or be very upset :lol

Didn't do 8.

But with 10, it's been really good out of the tin. I don't like the updates, and there have been a couple of times where I've had to reinstall things.

But internet, daw's, plugs, installation, you name it, I didn't have anything really weird happen. Other than it being totally necessary to change the power scheme no tweaking at all. (though every once in a great while I get a little one second spike which must be the wifi, but it's fast and temporary)
Old 2nd June 2019
Here for the gear
Craig1235's Avatar
I was having audio dropouts on Playback about every 10 seconds. I optimized my PC:

and upgraded every possible driver, but the problem persisted. My computer is older:

Core i5 2.67 GHZ - 16GB RAM

Turns out mine was specific to the Ozone Plugin. When I upgraded to Cubase 10 from 9.5, Ozone needed to be reauthorized. No problem right? I reauthorized it and all projects worked fine MOVING FORWARD, as in, NEW sessions that were started from scratch. The OLDER sessions, that still had the mastering plugin were a little sensitive and causing the problem. For me, I simply deleted it from the session and then added it again and everything was fine. Took me about 3 hours to figure this out, so if it saves anyone some time, you are welcome.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump