The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Huge performance improvement post tweaks!
Old 1st April 2017
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Huge performance improvement post tweaks!

For years i've always ended up running into issues in Cubase where once I get to the mix stage I can't play the project without lots of freezing of tracks, and even with my basic template which has my core plugins loaded, (almost all being effects, as I only really uses hardware synths), I couldn't play below 512 buffer without crackles. Enabling constrain delay compensation always helped when I needed to play at low buffer settings, and I could see it disabled about a dozen what must be heavier latency inducing plugins which was fine, as I could just re enable them when I was mixing, but still, it was annoying, and the issues when I was trying to mix were often a real pain, often even leading to crashes if I tried to push my system too hard.

I've tried tweaking my system to improve performance many a time but nothing has made much difference. My usual is:

* RME UCX @ 48khz with MMCSS for ASIO enabled
* i7 4790K OC'd @ 4.4Ghz with the usual recommended tweaks for music production like disabling speed stepping etc
* Cubase settings: Multi-processing on, Normal ASIO guard on, Stenberg Power Scheme on
* Windows tweaks like optimising processing for background services

I had accepted this issue for years and just got by assuming I must just be happening to my use of demanding plugins, but today after I had crackles on my default template at all buffer sizes I went and did some more tweaking to my usual above.

The first was enable Audio Priority in Cubase (I think i've tried that before though and it made no difference), and the second was changing my graphics card setting via its control panel tray icon from Graphics Profile - balanced, to Optimize Performance. (I use an aging gaming card, AMD R290)

I then double checked my BIOS settings and everything was the same as usual for my modestly OC'd CPU and with the usual audio performance tweaks in place like disabled speed stepping, but when I rebooted and started up Cubase with my template I couldn't believe the difference!

The performance meter with nothing playing had dropped 50% and I was able to play at 96 buffer no problem whatsoever.

The key thing that I had never tried before was changing my graphics card to optimise for performance, and possibly boost on Audio Priority.

Anyway, I hope this helps someone else out.
Old 2nd April 2017
mfx
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Will give this a go Mr.B. Hadnt realised there was such a setting.
Just out of interest where did you find this? Ive had a quick look in driver display propeties no luck (windows based).
As a subtip anyone with nvidia cards download and install driver on and not all the additional nvidia control gaming optimisation junk that seems to always come with it.
Old 3rd April 2017
Here for the gear

This affects a lot of DAWs actually, I'm not sure why it's not a more well known trick. Even something as lightweight as FL Studio crawls on its hands and knees if it's not running on a high-perf vid card.
Old 8th April 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfx ➡️
Will give this a go Mr.B. Hadnt realised there was such a setting.
Just out of interest where did you find this? Ive had a quick look in driver display propeties no luck (windows based).
As a subtip anyone with nvidia cards download and install driver on and not all the additional nvidia control gaming optimisation junk that seems to always come with it.
I'm using an AMD card and it is one of the short cut options under 'Graphics Profile' available from its Radeon software tray tool. Not sure what the NVIDA alternative is.
Old 10th April 2017
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Yeah this definitely helps. Basically what it does from my understanding is it runs the graphic card at full power. Video cards have power saving throttling going on, kind of like Speedstep for cpus is, and can adversely affect real time audio performance when the graphics card is constantly powering up and down. It has nothing to do with how powerful your video card is.
Old 10th April 2017 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryfell ➡️
I'm using an AMD card and it is one of the short cut options under 'Graphics Profile' available from its Radeon software tray tool. Not sure what the NVIDA alternative is.
I believe it's a setting in Nvidia control panel for power and you set it to maximum. I use Radeon's now so don't have a Nvidia card installed to check but I used to make that tweak and it helped.

I have to say I do find AMD Firepros a lot better for a DAW than Nvidia is and I used Nvidia for years. It was always a struggle to find a driver that didn't cause DPC latency to go bad. I got a Firepro w5100 recently because I wanted to replace an aging NVS450 and needed a single slot 4 display capable card. Lo and behold Cubase actually performed much better with this card than any Nvidia card ever did in any of my systems.
Old 10th April 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
I have always installed only the driver and not the radeon control panel (I believe Fabio in the Cubase forum recomended it also). Do you think that by installing the radeon software and enabling hi perfomance, it will be better than only the drivers installed?
Old 11th April 2017
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
What ??? I just did this little tweak on my Nvidia Card and now I can run a heavy song with loads soft synths and plugs at lowest latency 48 Samples on my RME UFX. I feel a bit stupid I didn't look into this before...Having build my own pc about 4 years ago. Ah well a bit like getting a new updated machine for free...
Old 22nd April 2017 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikbeat ➡️
What ??? I just did this little tweak on my Nvidia Card and now I can run a heavy song with loads soft synths and plugs at lowest latency 48 Samples on my RME UFX. I feel a bit stupid I didn't look into this before...Having build my own pc about 4 years ago. Ah well a bit like getting a new updated machine for free...
Great stuff!
Old 13th January 2018
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
A hands-down best ASIO improvement for me has been (finally) upgrading my graphics card. I've always thought that the graphic performance had nothing to do with ASIO performance, and I learned it the hard way over the years trying to OC my system, upgrade hard drives, etc. No, the single most ASIO performance improvement I've seen, everything else being equal on my 6-core 3.6Ghz system is the graphics card upgrade. I'm now running GeForce GTX 1050 card, which is about $130 on Amazon and it allows me to run a LOT and it eliminated a lot of the ASIO spikes I used to have with slower cards. Just wanted to share with the others.
Old 17th January 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Where is the tweak on Nvidia cards?
Old 19th January 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontsimon ➡️
You might be able to access it through the OS via Advanced Power Options for the scheme. Not at a NVidia system now, but there is a graphics power management setting there.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontsimon ➡️
I'm on PC windows 7 here just to clarify. Go to Nvidia control Panel. Then to Manage 3D settings. Select Power management and set to Prefer Maximum Performance.
Can't remember if I did any other tweaks but that's the main one.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm on PC windows 7 here just to clarify. Go to Nvidia control Panel. Then to Manage 3D settings. Select Power management and set to Prefer Maximum Performance.
Can't remember if I did any other tweaks but that's the main one.
IS that setting still there if you ONLY install the drivers?

I never install the whole package ONLY the drivers.

MC
Old 20th January 2018 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook ➡️
IS that setting still there if you ONLY install the drivers?

I never install the whole package ONLY the drivers.

MC
Yes. Right click on the desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel. Select "adjust image setting with preview" and then "use my preference emphasizing." Move the slider to "performance" (see attached).

I did not notice much, if any, change in Cubase, but I wasn't having issues. Still, it will be good to keep in mind if my projects get any larger.
Attached Thumbnails
Huge performance improvement post tweaks!-nvidia-3d-performance.png  
Old 20th January 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Havoc911 ➡️
Yes. Right click on the desktop and select NVIDIA Control Panel. Select "adjust image setting with preview" and then "use my preference emphasizing." Move the slider to "performance" (see attached).

I did not notice much, if any, change in Cubase, but I wasn't having issues. Still, it will be good to keep in mind if my projects get any larger.
Cheers. I'll take a look. To be honest since the fall creators update and the new Cubase 9.5.1 my system is rock solid with no spikes anymore.

all good stuff though so thanks for the heads up.

M
Old 8th March 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodylab ➡️
A hands-down best ASIO improvement for me has been (finally) upgrading my graphics card. I've always thought that the graphic performance had nothing to do with ASIO performance, and I learned it the hard way over the years trying to OC my system, upgrade hard drives, etc. No, the single most ASIO performance improvement I've seen, everything else being equal on my 6-core 3.6Ghz system is the graphics card upgrade. I'm now running GeForce GTX 1050 card, which is about $130 on Amazon and it allows me to run a LOT and it eliminated a lot of the ASIO spikes I used to have with slower cards. Just wanted to share with the others.
This is exactly what I'm thinking about but did not have the guts to do yet (out with the old, in with the new).

Are there any GCs that are better for the studio PC than others?

GeForce range? 1040, 1050?

k
Old 8th March 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Cubase is written to port some resources to GPUs, things like convolution reverbs. Might be the reason for the improved performance.

If anyone does go that route, might be best to install just the driver for the card and not all the bloat that goes with it. It's been know to cause issues for some.

@ Pete Kaine would be a good one to ask for more info, just be prepared to duck when you mention the bloat.
Old 12th March 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulata ➡️
This is exactly what I'm thinking about but did not have the guts to do yet (out with the old, in with the new).

k
I'm using a 1050 and although it's solid, there is no marked improvement from it. I don't think any gfx card will affect Cubase performance outside of GUI speeds.
I recently also was using a Radeon (7750 series) which is a bit older now, and there was no difference upgrading it. In fact, I felt that the Radeon was actually snappier, but no actual proof of that, just my impression.

Both these brands are extremely solid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by norbury brook ➡️
Cheers. I'll take a look. To be honest since the fall creators update and the new Cubase 9.5.1 my system is rock solid with no spikes anymore.

M
Second that, but I solved my 'spikes' issues years ago. Latest windows releases seemed to improve the RAM stability, though (less crashes), and also improved multi-tasking capability.
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
testing this with my nVidia card ... report back.
Old 12th March 2018
Lives for gear

I'm really interested RJ, I went through this tweakathon a while back and got ZERO improvements. Not that I have any real problems, but I'm always looking to get more CPU improvements.
Old 21st March 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulata ➡️

The's a 1050Ti passive that I swear by, if only because they don't make a 1040 passive. The 1030's are fine for a screen or two 1080's, but I tend to lean towards the 1050 for multiple 2K's or a 4K + 1080.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate Wade ➡️
Cubase is written to port some resources to GPUs, things like convolution reverbs. Might be the reason for the improved performance.
That was a thing although it required the plugins to be written to leverage the CUDA acceleration platform. The only problem is, is that CUDA itself largely didn't take off, at least for audio (the video/CAD/Rendering guys are another matter) users. There are certainly some plugins out there that can still do this, but I can probably count them on one hand at this point.

Some of the sequencers do however tend to lean on Direct X to some degree, or Open CL for smoothing out some redrawing in use. Going up a level above bare basic (1040ish) can smooth some minor screen tearing out, but I've not noticed anything more major than that.

Now, if the plug's themselves are optimized to leverage Open CL etc... when screen rendering the graphics (rather than co-processing which is what CUDA is for) then having a more powerful card might well give us all sorts of benefits as was noted in the original post, but I suspect that might end up being very much on a plug, by plug basis rather than a catch-all "do this and expect improvements" type scenario.
📝 Reply