The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What is the best P.C on the market to run Cubase and other music software programs?
Old 3rd February 2007
Gear Guru

Many of the people having issues with Cubase are trying to run too much with an underpowered set-up and generally do not have enough RAM installed.

The choice of interface also makes a tremendous difference with reliability and latency
issues. Sometimes it can be as simple as re-configuring your sample rates for input
and output.

You are simply not going to get a great system without spending considerable money
on your I/O's

The affordable Digi and M-Audio gear leaves much to be desired.
Unfortunately, most users have trouble affording the cost of better I/O's

I have ProTools M-Powered, Cubase SX and Logic Express on my G5 and Cubase is
hands down the easiest to use.
Old 3rd February 2007
Gear Maniac

Why would anyone pay $3000 + for a non upgradable MAC at this point is beyond me. I was one of those who got the first of the MAC-Intel Mac Pro's and Apple has already moved to something new and about to move to another faster CPU setup in a few months. Im not spending another $3000 to keep up when all they are changing is the cpu. I use PT HD so cpu speed is not that big of a deal these days but OSX and drivers for mac-intel have been a nightmare. As unstable for a while as anything mac or pc.

If you are just starting out get the PC & save your money. Just dont do the DAW builders thing. Below is comparison of of the same exact setup from a DAW builder PC & a a non daw builder PC (just get musicxp tweaks and u now have a DAW)

DAW BUILDER $2,290.00

Single Processor Desktop
Intel Core2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz
ASUS Core2 Duo Motherboard $1,800.00
Memory 2GB DDR2-800 (2 x 1GB) $200.00
VGA Card ATI Radeon X1300 256MB DVI/VGA $0.00
Optical Drive 1 NEC 18x Dual Layer DVD Burner $0.00
Optical Drive 2 No Secondary Optical Drive $0.00
Primary Hard Drive 160GB SATA II (7200rpm : 8MB cache) $20.00
Audio Hard Drive 320GB SATA II (7200rpm : 16MB cache) (Audio) $135.00
Extra Hard Drive 1 320GB SATA II (7200rpm : 16MB cache) (Data) $135.00
Extra Hard Drive 2 No Hard Drive (Data) $0.00
External Hard Drive External USB 2.0 / Firewire Hard Drive
- No Hard Drive $0.00
Keyboard No Keyboard $0.00
Mouse No Mouse $0.00
Floppy No Floppy $0.00
Modem No Modem $0.00
Operating System Windows XP Home $0.00
Removable Bay No Removable Bay $0.00
LCD Display No LCD Display (qty. 0) $0.00

MWAVE (w/ warranty) $1,198 shipped

SKU QTY Description Item Price Ext. Price

BA22912 1 INTEL BOXDP965LTCK INTEL 965 CHIPSET SERIAL ATA300 ATX FORM FACTOR 1xPCI-E(X16)/3xPCI-E(X1)/3xPCI/4xDDR2 W/SATA2,LAN(Gb),USB 2.0 & AUDIO (CPU TYPE:INTEL - SOCKET 775) =CORE 2 DUO E6600 2.4G (1066Mhz)= CRUCIAL 2GB DDR2 667=(1GB x 2)= TESTING OPTIONS $550.98 $550.98

ASSEMTEST 1 ASSEMBLY & TESTING - Add to Cart
Assemble your selected configuration
Load necessary software/drivers
Test & check compatibility
No REFUNDS on assembly/testing
Please allow 5-7 working days for assembly = $79.99 $79.99

AA15060 1 MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP HOME W/SP2 (OEM/DSP) #N09-01624/02142 *Must be Purchased w/Hardware!! *Download Upgrade Coupon for Vista Upgrade! See terms and conditions = $81.99 $81.99

BA30107 1 ANTEC SONATA II (BLACK) MID TOWER W/SMARTPOWER 2.0 450W ATX POWER SUPPLY =EXTRA FAN OPTIONS $102.35 $102.35

AA36130 1 WD 160GB 1600JS SATA300 8MB 7200RPM (Bare drive)*Requires SATA Data Cable =EXT.SATA ENCLOSURE OPTIONS= DATA CABLE OPTIONS $56.90 $56.90

AA51990 1 SONY AW-Q170A-B2 BLACK 18X SUPER ALL-WRITE DVDRW DRIVE (Bare drive) =ADD-ON MEDIA OPTIONS $28.90 $28.90

AA51460 1 EVGA 256-P2-N412-LX GEFORCE 7100GS TC 256MB DDR2 Supporting 512MB PCI-E VGA+DVI+TVOut = $57.90 $57.90

AA51250 2 WD 320GB 3200YS SATA300 RAID 7200RPM 16MB (Bare drive) =DATA CABLE OPTIONS= POWER CORD OPTIONS $97.90 $195.80

Thank you for choosing mwave.com Sub-Total $1,154.81
Shipping & Handling / Will Call Fee $43.42
Sales Tax $0.00
Order Total $1,198.23

Quote:
some say tech support is worth the extra $1000. I say if it's built right the first time why do I need tech support if all i'm doing is plugging in a pci card or two?

any problems u encounter will most likely be caused by the additional hardware u get like soundcard, duende, UAD-1, etc. and they have their own tech support for u.
Old 3rd February 2007
Gear Guru

There are just as many users more than happy with their Mac Pro set-ups.

I'm not going to turn this thread into yet another pissing match.

OF COURSE every computer system out there is going to be leap frogged over the next
18-24 months and you're actually wrong about upgrades to your Mac Pro.

The Quad Core processors are plug in compatible, but rather expensive.

You fail to mention that many of the issues you're having is because of Digidesign's
failure to keep up with driver upgrades.

If you think it's going to be any better keeping up with Vista upgrades, go for it!

In all fairness, many users prefer Windows XP Pro because Microsoft hasn't changed much of anything over the past few years. and most users are fine as long as they don't connect their system to the internet.

Whatever toots your horn mate!
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

why does every computer thread goes back to the mac/pc thing again?

macs can do your laundry, wash the dishes, drive your children to school... no brains are needed... on the other hand if you are a geek, and have the brains... get the better and cheaper computer or maybe even two of them for the same price...

it's pointless to explain that they are the same machine and use the same hardware, it's a question of simple choice... and price/performance ratio.

i run a pc with xp no problem whatsoever.... yeah, i am a geek, but i thought that was a pre-requisite for anybody who wishes to master any daw. and i do connect to the internet.
Old 3rd February 2007
Here for the gear

upscaps, that system you listed really overlooks the need for a quality power supply, a 450 watt psu is a joke, especially if it comes with a case. With todays video cards and other power hungry peripherals you need a quality psu at least 600watts minimum. if not, you will have problems with your system and wonder what it is, and it will be the thing you least suspect aka the psu.
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

reag......
you might want to read the thread where turnitupsum (jay)...outlines his pc config.
He has been kind enough to test his dual core amd with one of the daw software i use/love... powertracks.....there is a test i like to do in powertracks which a lot of pc configs sometimes take a long time to perform.
jays dual amd did it in a blink of an eye. very impressive. best time ive seen yet.
heres the thread where jay outlines his system.

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/104069-amd-dual-core-64-ht2000-chipset-any-users.html

by the way i looked at the sonica site.....their systems looked pretty darn impressive. outside my personal price point....but impressive just the same.
i feel custom daw builders fill an important niche for those not interested
in the building aspects.
what are your max track n plug in count needs reag ??
this info might help folks point you to a good solution.
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

These things always end being about Mac and pc, why, because Mac’s are almost always the answer. There simply are no problems in the DAW world with Macs. The root cause is virtually never the Mac or OSX, it is almost always the DAW alone. I've used PC's for years and now Macs for years. I would as soon die as to ever let a PC in my house again. Yes I am loyal, a freak of loyalty, why, because Apple has given me very good reason to be so. They make stellar products that work seamlessly with my recording setup and everything else in my home. I've got 4 of them at home, got my whole family hooked.

A Mac that is 2 years old will sell for at least half of what you paid for it. A PC will not sell for a 1/4 of what you paid for it in 6 months. Every time I upgrade, I sell the old model. I have gotten very good returns on my Macs so far. You could never do that with a PC.

Mac's vs. PC threads are very necessary in our world in the same way you compare one Mic Preamp to another, they are a critical discussion. Yes all preamps will work, some will yield consistently excellent results over and over again, while others will not, although the Mic will work in both.
Old 3rd February 2007
Gear Guru

One thing many DAW upgrade shoppers ignore is the overall noise level of their Workstation.

In a pro studio with room for an isolation chamber, it might not be any big deal, but for the small self contained project studio, it can be critical to have a system as quiet as possible.

This is where the new Mac Pro outshines any previous Mac configuration hands down.

Not only is the system extremely powerful, but it's also whisper quiet.

It will be interesting to see if the upcoming 8 Core Dual Quad processor models can maintain that level of quiet.

Those of you struggling to afford a better system, may also benefit quite well from closeout price reductions on the current MacPro's once the 8 core models debut.

Sometimes when to buy is just as important as what to buy.
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by upscaps View Post
Why would anyone pay $3000 + for a non upgradable MAC at this point is beyond me. I was one of those who got the first of the MAC-Intel Mac Pro's and Apple has already moved to something new and about to move to another faster CPU setup in a few months. Im not spending another $3000 to keep up when all they are changing is the cpu. I use PT HD so cpu speed is not that big of a deal these days but OSX and drivers for mac-intel have been a nightmare. As unstable for a while as anything mac or pc.

If you are just starting out get the PC & save your money. Just dont do the DAW builders thing. Below is comparison of of the same exact setup from a DAW builder PC & a a non daw builder PC (just get musicxp tweaks and u now have a DAW)

DAW BUILDER $2,290.00

Single Processor Desktop
Intel Core2 Duo E6600 2.4GHz
ASUS Core2 Duo Motherboard $1,800.00
Memory 2GB DDR2-800 (2 x 1GB) $200.00
VGA Card ATI Radeon X1300 256MB DVI/VGA $0.00
Optical Drive 1 NEC 18x Dual Layer DVD Burner $0.00
Optical Drive 2 No Secondary Optical Drive $0.00
Primary Hard Drive 160GB SATA II (7200rpm : 8MB cache) $20.00
Audio Hard Drive 320GB SATA II (7200rpm : 16MB cache) (Audio) $135.00
Extra Hard Drive 1 320GB SATA II (7200rpm : 16MB cache) (Data) $135.00
Extra Hard Drive 2 No Hard Drive (Data) $0.00
External Hard Drive External USB 2.0 / Firewire Hard Drive
- No Hard Drive $0.00
Keyboard No Keyboard $0.00
Mouse No Mouse $0.00
Floppy No Floppy $0.00
Modem No Modem $0.00
Operating System Windows XP Home $0.00
Removable Bay No Removable Bay $0.00
LCD Display No LCD Display (qty. 0) $0.00

MWAVE (w/ warranty) $1,198 shipped

SKU QTY Description Item Price Ext. Price

BA22912 1 INTEL BOXDP965LTCK INTEL 965 CHIPSET SERIAL ATA300 ATX FORM FACTOR 1xPCI-E(X16)/3xPCI-E(X1)/3xPCI/4xDDR2 W/SATA2,LAN(Gb),USB 2.0 & AUDIO (CPU TYPE:INTEL - SOCKET 775) =CORE 2 DUO E6600 2.4G (1066Mhz)= CRUCIAL 2GB DDR2 667=(1GB x 2)= TESTING OPTIONS $550.98 $550.98

ASSEMTEST 1 ASSEMBLY & TESTING - Add to Cart
Assemble your selected configuration
Load necessary software/drivers
Test & check compatibility
No REFUNDS on assembly/testing
Please allow 5-7 working days for assembly = $79.99 $79.99

AA15060 1 MICROSOFT WINDOWS XP HOME W/SP2 (OEM/DSP) #N09-01624/02142 *Must be Purchased w/Hardware!! *Download Upgrade Coupon for Vista Upgrade! See terms and conditions = $81.99 $81.99

BA30107 1 ANTEC SONATA II (BLACK) MID TOWER W/SMARTPOWER 2.0 450W ATX POWER SUPPLY =EXTRA FAN OPTIONS $102.35 $102.35

AA36130 1 WD 160GB 1600JS SATA300 8MB 7200RPM (Bare drive)*Requires SATA Data Cable =EXT.SATA ENCLOSURE OPTIONS= DATA CABLE OPTIONS $56.90 $56.90

AA51990 1 SONY AW-Q170A-B2 BLACK 18X SUPER ALL-WRITE DVDRW DRIVE (Bare drive) =ADD-ON MEDIA OPTIONS $28.90 $28.90

AA51460 1 EVGA 256-P2-N412-LX GEFORCE 7100GS TC 256MB DDR2 Supporting 512MB PCI-E VGA+DVI+TVOut = $57.90 $57.90

AA51250 2 WD 320GB 3200YS SATA300 RAID 7200RPM 16MB (Bare drive) =DATA CABLE OPTIONS= POWER CORD OPTIONS $97.90 $195.80

Thank you for choosing mwave.com Sub-Total $1,154.81
Shipping & Handling / Will Call Fee $43.42
Sales Tax $0.00
Order Total $1,198.23
your obviously using the wrong DAW builder to compare with.

Sonica and I are about $3-400 more than shopping newegg not $1000, make sure you are doing apples to apples as well.

see this thread
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/97299-audio-computers-v-regular.html

Scott
ADK
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryjohns View Post
These things always end being about Mac and pc, why, because Mac’s are almost always the answer.
That's your opinion.

In my case the ability to even upgrade my laptops processor is one of the big plusses I considered over getting a Macbook pro.
There are several others as well. All hat came into consideration when I bought my laptop this month.
You might get more for your Mac in 6 months or a year. But then, I won't have to worry about upgarding for at least 2 years.
My old laptop which I bought for 1k, I can stills ell for $500,-. I had it 2 years, and it outperformed any Apple laptop available at the time.
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

im in the hunts for a new pc.

i just need one to mix with- my old one is starting give me trouble, and its got an AMD processor- which doesn't let me use any of my McDsp plugs...

i was heart broken to find out they didn't run because this processor doesn't support SSE2??

so i'm looking for something solid.

the whole duo core is nice- but its pricey..

having worked with computers alot- i'm thinking something with 2G of ram and something like a 3-4 gig processor should be stable.

what do you guys think?
i'm looking at building something with just a cd rom drive- and on board sound- video etc.
i'm not looking for a fancy gaming machine- i just need power to mix freely with my PT-LE system..

what do you guys think?
i have a fast imac i could mix on- but its like- my overall 'use' computer- i surf the net, blog etc. on this. so i don't want to give it up for mix on-

is an intel 3-4 gig processor with 2gigs of ram fast enough?
can that handle a full session?
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

BarryJohns....
i rarely respond to such arguments as yours but feel compelled to.
yes the new macs are nice and yes its the first time i feel in the companies history they are putting out a product that is interesting.
however they are no holy grail imho.

i feel to wave off pc's so cavalierly is daft.
i am useing xp/pc on a daily basis and am content.
i just dont get problems. i'm no MS booster but i must be fair.

the people who have pc probs often ive found are people who
couldnt even be bothered to learn how to create a new folder in xp.
like a friend o' mine who continually screws up any pc cos he couldnt be bothered to understand even the most basic stuff. i could give him a mac n still it would
be a screw up....
its like saying i dont like analog 16 track 2 inch machines.....cos they are too much hassle to maintain.

bottom line...no platform is perfect barry.....whether mac or pc.....
and frankly in the larger scheme of things it all ends up on the scrap heap anyway.....cos people like me work on a daily basis in many computer companies to ensure new products come streaming out to market.

i can appreciate product loyalty.....but whether your platform or mine..in the end its all commodity technology imho.....
ie..pretty plain jane trickle down technology stuff barry.
however if tomorrow apple R n D....had a tech breakthrough that realised
a computing architecture that was years ahead of anybody else .eg....
quantum or photonic computing .....i would be the first to applaud.
until then its same old.
they use other companies processors and other companies storage technology as far as i understand. and i dont know what else.
a computing professor of mine once said to me years ago.....
companies that control the future will construct their own end to end technology internally rather than buying it in......otherwise one is at the behest of a third party.
whether apple or amd or intel or pc's or whatever....all tech companies are limited
by basic semiconductor laws of physics. thus whichever platform mac or pc there are technological limitations due to these laws of physics.
thus to hype one over the other is a tad silly. both platforms are limited.
busses/processor speeds/hard drive speeds/memory speeds etc etc....
and round n round the poor consumer musician goes ..running around in a box....
essentially.....spending lots of dough without realising often ......he is in servitude to basic laws of physics whether mac or pc. and the physics gods are laughing at him.
peace.
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear
dude, the original poster is frustrated because he DOESN'T KNOW MUCH ABOUT COMPUTERS, so what do you guys do? START TALKING GEEK TALK ABOUT SPECS! THE WHOLD ****ING POINT OF THE THREAD WAS TO HELP THIS GUY GET AN EASY RECORDING SETUP!

Ok, enough caps. You don't need $3000 to get a nice Mac. Buy a used Mac for way less than half that, and start making music on your DAW, instead of fighting it...

I swear to god you will be thrilled by a Mac. The only people I've met who do not like Macs are computer geeks. Not that there is anything wrong with that. PC's can be incredibly powerful in the right hands, but the original poster want's EASY. C'mon, you can't really argue that Mac OSX isn't easy for DAWs, can you?

halcyo
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

All you mac guys are worse then evangelical Christians....Always prostelitizing for what you like no matter what the question is. Give it a rest already.
Macs can be a royal pain in the ass just like PCs. Use what you like but quit the mac is god bull**** cause its just not true.
Old 3rd February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xmostynx View Post
having worked with computers alot- i'm thinking something with 2G of ram and something like a 3-4 gig processor should be stable.

what do you guys think?
Should be fine. You might want a bit more ram if you use allot of VSTi instruments and allot of plugs, but for most things I doubt you'll run into a problem.
Old 3rd February 2007
Quote:
All you mac guys are worse then evangelical Christians....Always prostelitizing for what you like no matter what the question is. Give it a rest already.
Macs can be a royal pain in the ass just like PCs. Use what you like but quit the mac is god bull**** cause its just not true.

heh

READ THE FORUMrules.. they were written on a PC and confirmed on a MAC.. seem to work on both systems..
fuuck

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search