The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Leaving Cubase 4...need opinions on alternatives.
Old 18th January 2007
  #61
Lives for gear
 
Roger Starr's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steff3 View Post
Well, as a Mac user I do not know what you mean with pro and stable - at least for SX3 - it is problematic ..... My fellow window users tell me that on PC it is the same compared to native PC solutions (Samplitude, etc.) Not to talk about SX1 ....



Well, generally it works like a charm. The screen layout is clean and lean - not as overblown as with Cubase - one cubase screen element takes as much place as does three in Logic ..... of course that is not important for everyone .....
Logic has two problems - those the arrange view and a too weak surround implementation (but SX with its stiff 5.1 is also pretty lame - and that also has its consequences in HAL - which is even worse).

best
I don't agree. I have SX3.1 here on a PC and it simply NEVER crashes!!! Also, I find the GUI far superiour to that of LP7 as well the audio facilities are far superior too. The whole workflow I find much better and defenitely more intuitive. LP7 tho' has much better plugs for sure. C4 I have to try out yet, but they might have catched up there too. In the studio of a music friend of mine we work with LP7 and generally most you do quicker in SX for sure. But OK, so has everyone there preferences and configurations to work or not to work...

Note, when LP8 comes out (it is rumored it is going to be announced at NAMM) and it is very cool serious upgrade indeed, I will get that myself too and this mainly because of exchanging files between people...

Regards,

Roger
Old 18th January 2007
  #62
Lives for gear
 
stag's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steff3 View Post
I little simplification! The first announced an update and now the de-announced it. They already announced a 64-bit version of SX3 in 2004 which should be release for Windows and for Mac with the release of OSX Tiger 10.4. The thing is - they announce things when they think it is opportune but that's it ..... Do they care about what they said yesterday? No.

if this is clear and descent communication, well, I might just not understand that ....

best
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Not true! SX3 can already run on XP x64, ST never said anything about porting it to 64 bit or UB doe, infact they said that SX3 will never be UB.

Sonar 5.6, Samp 8.4 , logic 6.5. C´mon, does it make any sense???
Old 18th January 2007
  #63
Lives for gear
 
tamasdragon's Avatar
 

The problem is people are not honest. Let's face the fact that sometimes every company is making mistakes, let's face the fact that every piece of software has bugs. And please don't tell me it's not true. Just because of this thread I looked around at some softs' forum, the result is the same, every daw has some glitch, which is of course more pain for one, not so bad to others. But if someone is so sure about that there is a daw which is flawless, than please share it's name with us.
I'm so curiously waiting to know.
Sure c4 must be refined, but let's face that it's a native software which has to work with many thousands of different systems. There are more tied down solutions (tdm), which are still have many problems. Than what would you say to them? You've paid let's say 10000$ and still have bugs. It's life, we have to live with it.
Steinberg has good reputation regardless of the anger from some user, because they are making fantastic softwares. I think that they need to improve things in many ways, but they're not evil. Great company I think.
Tamas Dragon
Old 18th January 2007
  #64
Gear Maniac
 
dirren's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stag View Post
The thing is - they announce things when they think it is opportune but that's it ..... Do they care about what they said yesterday?
Pretty much the case of any company trying to meet a deadline with a product?

I think 98% of the complaints about ANY software falls into two categories, a) those who don't read the manual and so do not understand how to actually learn a program before complaining, or b) those who have incorrectly setup machines that fall short on them when working, ie using the wrong drivers, chipsets, mobos, firewire chipsets etc. The last 2 procent is actually users with real problems and those posts, especially w/o a solution, are pretty rare actually.

Just my 0.2c

/Matt
Old 18th January 2007
  #65
Lives for gear
 
noah440's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirren View Post
Pretty much the case of any company trying to meet a deadline with a product?

I think 98% of the complaints about ANY software falls into two categories, a) those who don't read the manual and so do not understand how to actually learn a program before complaining, or b) those who have incorrectly setup machines that fall short on them when working, ie using the wrong drivers, chipsets, mobos, firewire chipsets etc. The last 2 procent is actually users with real problems and those posts, especially w/o a solution, are pretty rare actually.

Just my 0.2c

/Matt
Just to clarify, this is not true in my case. I am very on top of drivers and the state of my PC. Crashing in SX 3.1.1 is not a problem for me, generally, except for shortage of RAM, which will never be fixed until Vista is in use.

The problems I have with Cubase are problems which the program has itself, such as non-implementation of a time/tempo window in the main arrange page, the way you hide/view in the mixer (the workarounds are just that - workarounds) and other things...some little, some big. EVERY sequencer has it's problems, and it's perfectly fine to request that a company implement something that is useful.

Steinberg told me directly, about 2 years ago (after piles of emails sent to them!), that they were definitely going to implement the time/tempo window in the main arrange page due to the many requests for it. That was 2 years ago. Same goes for the mixer hiding of individual channels. So, when I see friends of mine who use Pro Tools or Sonar, and they get pretty fast responses to their big fix requests, and updates that often actually address those requests (because many more people are requesting them, guaranteed, if it's a good and useful idea), it makes me wonder. Again, every software has it's bugs, this is nothing new. But the speed and consideration with which a company fixes them is paramount, for me. No sequencer will ever have everything for everyone.

I've been waiting for these things, and I'm not sure I'd like to anymore. But someone earlier here had a good point about sticking with Cubase for now...I'll check out demos from Sonar and Samplitude and make my decision from there. Learning a new app has always been very quick and easy, so I'm not worried about that. It's just a question of which features are more important to someone, and how the company treats it's customers.
Old 19th January 2007
  #66
Gear Maniac
 
dirren's Avatar
 

Cool. Sounds like you have some specific stuff you'd like to see in there. In the mean time can't you just make a sceenset / arrangement with the screens you're missing stacked ontop of the main edit (or wherever really)? I find myself making new and different screensets for almost all new projects that demand different type of wrk. Or I choose from my global ones. Ctrl+0 (numerical) to name a new one, then lock / unlock with Alt+0 after you've placed your favored layout. Then access the set by Alt+Numeric key?

/Matt
Old 19th January 2007
  #67
Lives for gear
 
noah440's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirren View Post
Cool. Sounds like you have some specific stuff you'd like to see in there. In the mean time can't you just make a sceenset / arrangement with the screens you're missing stacked ontop of the main edit (or wherever really)? I find myself making new and different screensets for almost all new projects that demand different type of wrk. Or I choose from my global ones. Ctrl+0 (numerical) to name a new one, then lock / unlock with Alt+0 after you've placed your favored layout. Then access the set by Alt+Numeric key?

/Matt
I hear what you're saying...the problem is that when I'm editing to a brand new cut of video for a one hour show, I need to have the time/tempo ruler on the same exact page as everything else (take a look at any other DAW to see how this simple thing can make a huge difference when editing music for an hour long TV show), so that when I make large-scale cuts and pastes and edits, the time and tempo setting follow what I'm doing, instead of me having to go to the separate window and re-tool the time and tempo again. I'm not sure if you do work for TV or not, but this is a huge problem. You can't make it work with the method you're describing, because you need to be able to select and edit what's in two separate windows at the same time, which you can't do. I do appreciate the advice, though! It just doesn't fix the problem for me, unfortunately.

I like a lot about Cubase, and was hoping that they would improve features like this, but there's no sign that this is going to happen any time soon, and I've already been waiting 2 years.

So, we'll see how Sonar and Samplitude are Should be interesting, at the very least!
Old 19th January 2007
  #68
Gear Maniac
 
spherop's Avatar
 

Noah -
I have also left Cubase recently after 4 years of using it as my main production tool (up through SX 3.1). When 4 came out I just didn't feel like upgrading anymore. Waiting for so long for updates that just really don't address fundamental issues in the workflow for me. Adding new features without fixing what's lame.

I hang out in the Reaper forums because the software has come so far so fast and the creators are TRULY listening to their users. Quite impressive. I agree though - maybe a little ways off for some things (though certainly ahead in others at this point!) - and visually a bit weak - but truly one to watch.

So I did switch to LIVE 6 actually.

Now this depends greatly on how you work. But when I went to Live - the paradigm shift was so what I needed and so refreshing I will find it hard to turn back to another daw unless it can do what Live does. What I have always begged for in Cubase and (more recently in Reaper) is what Live has aced.

The Session view in Live is a phenomenal work space for building a composition, experimenting with ideas, and just general creativity. Live always has the feeling of using something that is artfully, elegantly designed.

With all of that said - Live falls well short of Cubase and other Daws in its arrangement view and that can be the one frustration. That part of the software seems to be where they are focusing and one can hope that it will reach the level soon. However - I still find for my purposes the overall experience in Live is a huge upgrade over what I have had with other daws in the creativity and compositional arenas.
Old 19th January 2007
  #69
Lives for gear
 
Tone Laborer's Avatar
I like SX3 for the most part, but I think their support forum is pratically useless. The only support comes from other users while the moderators hardly ever say JACK. Except to bust on people for not putting their dongle number in their profile.
WTF.

They're about as helpful as an upside down ice water enema.
Old 19th January 2007
  #70
Quote:
They're about as helpful as an upside down ice water enema.
they are helpfull:D hei, and if not, we will safe your ass here at gearslutz heh
Old 28th April 2007
  #71
Gear Addict
 

bump...

This is an older thread but since Steinberg put out Cubase 4.03 (hotfix) the program is much more stable. I am a long time Cubase user and think the program is the most logical of the DAWs I have tried. I like the workflow and understand the program. It has a wonderfull interface with the Yamaha Mixers (01V96 and 02R96) that really makes the mixer a great control surface. Still there are a few features I would like but I really like Cubase.

Gary
Old 28th April 2007
  #72
Lives for gear
 
stag's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by noah440 View Post
I'd love to hear more than "Sonar 6 is great" ...
Noah
Nuendo 3 is great... Althougth, i prefer C4 all the way.
Old 28th April 2007
  #73
samplitude 9 is cool.

the mastering and meter things are very good for productional use.

I had some problems with the mixer. it has a diffrent feel as steinberg products. I think the built in FX are really usefull.

I had not a single crash with sam, installation was super easy and the dongle worked without problems.

cheers
Old 28th April 2007
  #74
Quote:
Originally Posted by clonewar View Post
I was going to say the exact same thing.. I don't think there's any other DAW on the PC that has Cubase's midi features. You won't find anything like the Input Transformer or Logical Editor in Sonar/Samp/Reaper/Live/etc.. Another thing I've gotten very used to using is workspaces..

This is why I'm thinking about a Mac Pro and Logic. I'm hoping that Apple has a Logic 8 announcement tomorrow..
On the contrary, Sonar also has a slug of MIDI plug ins and realtime MIDI quantization and other filters on incoming MIDI events that look pretty darn similar, actually. And its MIDI selection filters seem moderately similar to the Logical Editor. It also has a scripting language for performing repetitive or complex tasks.
Old 29th April 2007
  #75
Lives for gear
 
sleepwalker's Avatar
 

I'm a Cubase SX3 and Ableton Live 5/6 user. Live won't get you far enough with midi editing. It's annoying how limited the editing is because I really like the program.

I'm hesitant to try rewire with Live/Cubase because I have enough trouble getting Sampletank and Kontakt to play nicely with either program on its own let alone combined.

I'd recommend sticking with Cubase, but maybe an earlier version.
Old 29th April 2007
  #76
Gear Maniac
I'm sticking with SX3 for a while until the bugs are worked out of C4 and at the same time monitoring developments with Reaper, which looks promising but has a ways to go, espeically in the areas of MIDI and the GUI. FL Studio 7 (not a toy by the way) has extremely good MIDI features, maybe the best of any application, and Plogue Bidule (great sound design tool) are nice enhancements to SX3 which may give you the "upgrade" you desire for less than $200 for the two them. Both function as VSTs and ReWire. This is my application constellation, plus Reason 3 ReWire, and it is rock solid even on my rather dated PIV. I have tried about everything out and this was the best solution on a WinPC. Patience.
Old 29th April 2007
  #77
Lives for gear
 
big country's Avatar
 

just got nuendo 3 a week ago

two of the worlds most friggin boring novels

operations guide
getting started

if only they made that stuff fun to read.
at least have some one who isn't mono tone doing the writing

does any one know of a good Nuendo video?
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump