The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Why Is Nuendo $1800.00
Old 15th December 2015
Lives for gear

<snip - final warning, this is not appropriate behavior>

What makes Steinberg immune to questions about it's pricing?? Avid get's it all the time!!

I asked because, as good as I think Nuendo is, I think it could gain greater market presence with a pricing restructuring. As well as, stay in business inthis competitive small market.

Now, It's seems that Steinberg is Listening and have announced it's "crossgrades",, which lowers Nuendo to $1k.
Thank you very much..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshifter View Post
NOPE.
Yamaha is not a > computer & software manufacturer !

Please end this stupid ignorant thread !

you have absolutely no idea of this matter...
Nuendo is more expensive because it has additional great and big features for post production and various expensive de/encoder e.g.

who spends so much time on forums and write such rubbish!! can only be a hobbyist.

Last edited by psycho_monkey; 16th December 2015 at 11:29 AM..
Old 15th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Leaf View Post
Thing is.... many years ago the difference in money was less, so many jumped the big brother Nuendo path and as the difference grew, soon found themselves "stuck" on a platform they can't simply leave because they invested so much in it.

If they'd known how it would be today, these Nuendo users would have been Cubase users.

I would be among those folk.
Using Nuendo since ver.1 and doing music recording production only. (albeit, some short film type work on occasion)

I'm on ver.5 at this time. The upgrade path is clearly an ongoing pricy consideration. Not using a whole bunch of its features means that it gets increasingly hard to justify upgrading.
Still, I get work done and don't think about it much in terms of any regrets.

It's just what I chose several years ago when going into daw land based on a recommendation of a trusted friend at that time that believed it had a sonic edge.
That may be a questionable claim but at this point, it just makes sense to stay with it due to work flow.
Also, it's nice to know options exist if more film type work should arise.
Old 15th December 2015
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjdpro View Post
What makes Steinberg immune to questions about it's pricing??
You aren't asking Steinberg though and you _are_ getting well reasoned answers. You just don't seem to like them.

Quote:
Avid get's it all the time!!
The fact that you ask is of course fine and people are answering but have you tried asking Steinberg directly?

Also Pro Tools HD is effectively much more expensive, its development seems to be at a near standstill and it has all sorts of artificial built in limitations geared purely to encourage people to buy their hardware. Not to mention Avids's very unpopular extortion scheme..

Compound that with the fact that Avid is doing very badly business wise and it becomes natural to question their business tactics.

Quote:
I asked because, as good as I think Nuendo is, I think it could gain greater market presence with a pricing restructuring. As well as, stay in business inthis competitive small market.
Maybe you don't realise but Cubendo is currently the most popular DAW on the market and it isn't the cheapest so Steinberg must be doing something right.

Quote:
Now, It's seems that Steinberg is Listening and have announced it's "crossgrades",, which lowers Nuendo to $1k.
Thank you very much..
I only see a crossgrade from Nuendo live and Cubase (at 1400). The Cubase crossgrade is new and is something I asked about so thanks for the heads up but I don't think you can compare this directly to the new price (which is still given as 1800).

Alistair
Old 16th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I asked because, as good as I think Nuendo is, I think it could gain greater market presence with a pricing restructuring.
I doubt if Steinberg, a succesful software company for probably 30+ years, cares what you think. They have many smart people to decide those things, they don't need us planning for them. Otoh, if you feel that strongly about it, put in an application to be a Product Manager at Steiny.

But yeah, we daw users often play back seat CEO on the net.

Question: Why is x priced the way it is?
Answer: Because the market supports it. When the market stops supporting it, it will change.
Old 16th December 2015
Lives for gear

Hello,

Quote:
Thank you very much..
You are also wrong here, the price of the crossgrade is the same as if you buy Nuendo 7 the full version, it only takes out the price of Cubase. It does not lower Nuendo to 1k...

Regarding the price, I can just tell you that you are completely wrong with all your speculations but I would have to give you a one semester lecture in Marketing, forecast, costs of production, budget, revenue, return of investment, statistics, and advanced Excel formulas to give you an idea of where the pricing comes.

Best regards,
GN
Old 16th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillermo N View Post
Hello,

You are also wrong here, the price of the crossgrade is the same as if you buy Nuendo 7 the full version, it only takes out the price of Cubase. It does not lower Nuendo to 1k...

Regarding the price, I can just tell you that you are completely wrong with all your speculations but I would have to give you a one semester lecture in Marketing, forecast, costs of production, budget, revenue, return of investment, statistics, and advanced Excel formulas to give you an idea of where the pricing comes.

Best regards,
GN

Since we have your attention: What are the latest news on the broken VCAs?

We've seen your Timo do marketing as if nothing has been discovered, claiming that Nuendo has VCAs and that all new features are tested live in world-class studios. Anyone buying version 7 will be under the completely wrong impression. Highly unethical.

If your marketing department is running around like that and making inaccurate statements just to get customers you probably should hurry up a bit. It's soon been six months without this working.

Then again, as your moderator says: "Neither SB nor any other software company promise that software will be bug free. "

Not very flattering.

So when are you fixing this?

Last edited by mattiasnyc; 16th December 2015 at 03:37 PM..
Old 16th December 2015
Lives for gear

Can you read? This from your website.

Nuendo 7 Crossgrade for Pro Tools Owners*:**|*http://www.steinberg.net/

How to crossgrade:

Owners of the following products are eligible to obtain a full, unlimited version of Steinberg Nuendo 7 at a special crossgrade price:

Pro Tools HD/HDX versions 7/8/9/10/11/12 (crossgrade price: $ 999*)
Pro Tools Native versions 9/10/11/12 (crossgrade price: $ 1199*)
You are entitled to this time-limited crossgrade offer if you can provide proof of ownership for one of the above mentioned Pro Tools versions as follows:

A copy of your Pro Tools license card
Or, an invoice regarding the purchase of Pro Tools containing your name/company
Please download the claim form, complete it and send it to [email protected] together with the proof of ownership of your Pro Tools product.

Quote:
Hello,

Best regards,
GN
Old 16th December 2015
Lives for gear

Hello,

Quote:
Can you read? This from your website.

Nuendo 7 Crossgrade for Pro Tools Owners*:**|*http://www.steinberg.net/

How to crossgrade:

Owners of the following products are eligible to obtain a full, unlimited version of Steinberg Nuendo 7 at a special crossgrade price:

Pro Tools HD/HDX versions 7/8/9/10/11/12 (crossgrade price: $ 999*)
Pro Tools Native versions 9/10/11/12 (crossgrade price: $ 1199*)
You are entitled to this time-limited crossgrade offer if you can provide proof of ownership for one of the above mentioned Pro Tools versions as follows:

A copy of your Pro Tools license card
Or, an invoice regarding the purchase of Pro Tools containing your name/company
Please download the claim form, complete it and send it to [email protected] together with the proof of ownership of your Pro Tools product.
There is no need to insult That is the Crossgrade from ProTools, I though we where discussing a different crossgrade.- From Cubase to Nuendo, which has almost the same principle as the crossgrade from Cubase, it means that you already have paid around 566 Euros or dollars, for a piece of software, leaving the final price around 1800.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
I only see a crossgrade from Nuendo live and Cubase (at 1400). The Cubase crossgrade is new and is something I asked about so thanks for the heads up but I don't think you can compare this directly to the new price (which is still given as 1800).

Alistair
If you have a Pro Tools Native version you already paid 566 Euros, + 1199 = 1765.00...

At the end is the same, if you have nothing you will still have to take 1800 Euros out of your pocket.

If you don't take into consideration the fact that you have already paid for ProTools around 800/600 Euros then yes, you are right, it is around 1000, depending on the Crossgrade you are purchasing.

Best regards,
GN
Old 16th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
Then again, as your moderator says: "Neither SB nor any other software company promise that software will be bug free. "

Not very flattering.?
But it's true. Every software product I own literally says or strongly suggests exactly that in their EULA's... since... forever. Here's Reaper's EULA... pretty standard fare tbh...

Quote:
Cockos does not warrant that the Software is error free. Cockos offers the Software “as is” and “with all faults” and by using the Software, you accept it “as is” and “with all faults”.
Studio One...

Quote:
PreSonus makes no warranty that the Product or your ability to use it will be uninterrupted or error-free.
They almost all say that, the EULA's that nobody reads. The problem (where it exists) isn't only with some companies who may arguably not fix some bugs fast enough, that clearly does happen, but it's also partly with users who buy into shiny things before testing them... like pre-ordering Cubase 8... instead of waiting for a demo to test.

To be clear, I'm not defending Steinberg or their subjective ability to deliver bug fixes. It just seems to me that - sometimes, not always - some of these things are partly "self inflicted wounds", the rush to have the new thing first.
Old 16th December 2015
Lives for gear

I don't recall having the option to read the EULA prior to purchase, do you?

My comment was about implying one thing while knowing the reality is different. It's dishonest and unethical.
Old 16th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't recall having the option to read the EULA prior to purchase, do you?
Yes, it comes with the demo.

And some of them are posted on the companies website for anyone to read... http://www.presonus.com/EULA
Old 16th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Yes, it comes with the demo.

And some of them are posted on the companies website for anyone to read... PreSonus | PreSonus End User License Agreement
You know it is fully possible to buy the product without receiving that information. You're reaching.

It's highly unethical for Timo to tell people how all new features are tested in real world-class studios before release and then one of the main selling points for the new version is broken - which he is completely aware of. You can argue yourself blue in the face all you want, the fact remains that when a representative of the company implies such a thing and it isn't made absolute clear prior to purchase that it's incorrect, it's highly unethical. And, I would argue, possibly something you'd not get away with in a legal dispute.
Old 16th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:

Best regards,
GN

I can dig this completely.

Couldn't Chevrolet sell more Corvettes if they re-priced them to $20,000? Or quadruple sales and enlarge the relatively small Corvette market by pricing Corvettes at $10,000? Then everyone who wanted one could have a Corvette. Uber could buy fleets of corvettes for you to hitch rides to the bus stop.

The Doctors and corporate lawyers and software patent holders who now own Corvettes would smile and be so happy now that everyone else can also afford a Corvette. Everyone would be better off.

And Chevy would see their silly ways of the old days of high Corvette pricing... omg, what were they thinking, those silly guys.

Well........

Since I have nothing to do with Chevrolet or Steinberg, I happily guess that one answer why Nuendo isn't repriced is.... "we don't want to".

And....we don't need to.....

And...."we don't need more guys in bedrooms using Nuendo.."

And... "we don't want multi-million dollar post suites being asked to buy software that Johnny Guitarband is using at his new pro studio next to the local grocery store.

And... "we sell plenty of Nuendo to plenty of our target market for it at the price it's at and we're re-e-e-a-l happy with that.

Just like Arri is not about to begin selling their high end Soundstage movie cameras at Walmart... at Walmart prices. They can, but they won't.

Total guesswork on my part via my own, maybe nutty, but highly successful ideas on the funny little thing in the world called perception&placement.

Positioning, marketing, funding future development of any number of products, perception by the public, placement, placement, placement.... core stuff that makes a number of you guys buy only Apple...... or only Chipotle... or only Corvettes.

I happily stand here, not connected with Steinberg at all and confidently say to anyone questioning what Steinberg does and how they do it......it's none of your business.

You can think it's your business. But it's none of your business. It's none of my business either. Doesn't hurt my feelings at all.

I am glad Cubase exists though. I can't afford Nuendo. And that's cool by me.
Old 16th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
You know it is fully possible to buy the product without receiving that information. You're reaching.
Move goalposts much? You asked a simple question...

Quote:
"I don't recall having the option to read the EULA prior to purchase, do you?"
... and I gave you a simple and very clear answer...

Quote:
"Yes. It (typically) comes with a demo."
It's also on their web page in this case...

http://www.steinberg.net/en/extras/t...ns.html#c32903

Quote:
Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH's legal liability for programming errors in the Licensed software, including later up-dates provided for under this contract, is therefore restricted to any case of Steinberg Media Technologies GmbH acting with intent or gross negligence.
A fancy way of saying it's not bug free.

Last edited by Lawrence; 16th December 2015 at 11:59 PM..
Old 17th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
Move goalposts much? You asked a simple question...

... and I gave you a simple and very clear answer...

It's also on their web page in this case...

Terms & Conditions*:**|*http://www.steinberg.net/

A fancy way of saying it's not bug free.
Quote:
1. Steinberg ensures ("gewährleistet") to the person who acquires first-time the license for the use of the software according to this Agreement, for the duration of ninety (90) days as of receipt of the software, that the software executes essentially the functions described in the enclosed documentation at receipt,
Now, you tell me how the VCAs are executing currently.
Old 17th December 2015
Lives for gear

Hello,

Quote:
Now, you tell me how the VCAs are executing currently.
Once more you are completely off topic and again you have highjacked another thread to push your own personal agenda... you complain about ethics but what you are doing is terrible forum etiquete, specially to the OP.

Best regards,
GN
Old 17th December 2015
Lives for gear

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenoodle View Post
I can dig this completely.

Couldn't Chevrolet sell more Corvettes if they re-priced them to $20,000? Or quadruple sales and enlarge the relatively small Corvette market by pricing Corvettes at $10,000? Then everyone who wanted one could have a Corvette. Uber could buy fleets of corvettes for you to hitch rides to the bus stop.

The Doctors and corporate lawyers and software patent holders who now own Corvettes would smile and be so happy now that everyone else can also afford a Corvette. Everyone would be better off.

And Chevy would see their silly ways of the old days of high Corvette pricing... omg, what were they thinking, those silly guys.

Well........

Since I have nothing to do with Chevrolet or Steinberg, I happily guess that one answer why Nuendo isn't repriced is.... "we don't want to".

And....we don't need to.....

And...."we don't need more guys in bedrooms using Nuendo.."

And... "we don't want multi-million dollar post suites being asked to buy software that Johnny Guitarband is using at his new pro studio next to the local grocery store.

And... "we sell plenty of Nuendo to plenty of our target market for it at the price it's at and we're re-e-e-a-l happy with that.

Just like Arri is not about to begin selling their high end Soundstage movie cameras at Walmart... at Walmart prices. They can, but they won't.

Total guesswork on my part via my own, maybe nutty, but highly successful ideas on the funny little thing in the world called perception&placement.

Positioning, marketing, funding future development of any number of products, perception by the public, placement, placement, placement.... core stuff that makes a number of you guys buy only Apple...... or only Chipotle... or only Corvettes.

I happily stand here, not connected with Steinberg at all and confidently say to anyone questioning what Steinberg does and how they do it......it's none of your business.

You can think it's your business. But it's none of your business. It's none of my business either. Doesn't hurt my feelings at all.

I am glad Cubase exists though. I can't afford Nuendo. And that's cool by me.
To please the OP I am going to tell you where the price comes from. It comes from an Excel sheet.
We have to calculate the cost of programming, the man hours required to program and maintain the software with the wages of the developers involved.
It also ads the following costs: Office maintenance cost, Marketing, Product planning, Design, Production and storage (for the box versions and the eLicenser), the cost of the online shop, web site, PR, servers, the above mentioned license that have to be paid to third parties, support.

EDITED: I forgot to add taxes, and the share to the distributors and retailers.

Then based on the sales forecast and budget you get the price you need to brake even and the price you need to make a profit.

It is:

With price X you have to sell Y amount of units to brake even.
With price W selling Y amount of units you will reach the budget forecasted by the stakeholders.

Y is calculated on the historical and the market research of our niche group.

Best regards,
GN

Last edited by Guillermo N; 17th December 2015 at 12:17 PM..
Old 17th December 2015
I just checked this Magix Sequoia
Old 17th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello,

Once more you are completely off topic and again you have highjacked another thread to push your own personal agenda... you complain about ethics but what you are doing is terrible forum etiquete, specially to the OP.

Best regards,
GN
The question was why Nuendo is more money. Right now there are issues with Nuendo that make it worth less than it otherwise would be. So if we compare Cubase to Nuendo, Cubase has VCAs, and for all intents and purposes Nuendo does not.

That fact remains and is on-topic.

Now, if you're going whine about users taking you to task for (Steinberg people) in essence lying when doing marketing in magazines, then the only one who is unethical is you.

I do however appreciate your use of an emoticon. I think that's clever and novel.
Old 17th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello,

Best regards,
GN
Maybe if you gave us an answer/reasoning to the VCA status, he (and others) would stop hijacking/whining/nagging/annoying (pick your choice).

Ethical or not, it is NOT customer friendly................ to say the least
Old 17th December 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by BM Grabber View Post
Maybe if you gave us an answer/reasoning to the VCA status, he (and others) would stop hijacking/whining/nagging/annoying (pick your choice).

Goalposts move again.

Cubendo is what it is and costs what it does. Accept, adjust and workaround when necessary. (Standard fair for any engineer).

- Or buy something else.

IMHO of course.
Old 17th December 2015
Lives for gear

I have both............... Thank you
Old 18th December 2015
Quote:
I have both............... Thank you
Never doubted it.
Old 18th December 2015
Lives for gear

Hello,

Quote:

Yes, I understand your frustration and I wish I could have done more, we are truly trying. Until yesterday we didn't know if it was going to be released before the end of the year.

Bellow you can read a post on our official forum with more information:

www.steinberg.net • View topic - Why I think a VCA fix should be sooner than "normal update"

Best regards,
GN
Old 18th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello,

Yes, I understand your frustration and I wish I could have done more, we are truly trying. Until yesterday we didn't know if it was going to be released before the end of the year.

Bellow you can read a post on our official forum with more information:

www.steinberg.net • View topic - Why I think a VCA fix should be sooner than "normal update"

Best regards,
GN
No I can't............................ Because I am banned for life on the Steinberg forums

PS. I can of corse proxy my way in, but............................... After contributing on the Nuendo forum since the start and the Cubase forum equally long, I am finished with providing answer and solutions, and giving of my 40 years + experience to that croud (and their Goderators - Who should NOT get into discussions moderating only the half that don't agree with them. What a club )
Old 18th December 2015
Lives for gear

Hello,

Quote:
No I can't............................ Because I am banned for life on the Steinberg forums

PS. I can of corse proxy my way in, but............................... After contributing on the Nuendo forum since the start and the Cubase forum equally long, I am finished with providing answer and solutions, and giving of my 40 years + experience to that croud (and their Goderators - Who should NOT get into discussions moderating only the half that don't agree with them. What a club )
Even if you don't have an account you can read it... anyhow, I am quoting it bellow:

Quote:
Hi guys,

I would like to start this short post by thanking you again for your feedback and your patience, and apologise for the inconveniences caused by the issues with the VCAs.

Now, a quick update on the status of this fix: We plan to release a small update (N7.0.35) before the end of the year - hopefully even before Christmas - addressing the most urgent issues like the conflicts with automation when using VCA faders and the quick analysis on the loudness track, among others. This update will be fully supported and, even though not every single problem will be fixed there, at least the most paramount ones will.

I will let you know as soon as we have a definite release date (we are still testing) and hope that all of you suffering from these odd-working VCAs will appreciate the effort we put in offering the best tools for your favourite software
Best regards,
GN
Old 18th December 2015
Lives for gear

Blocked also on the Public IP adress (that's why the proxy suggestion )

Not interested to have a "read only" status on a forum I have been a part of for about 15 years (not under BM Grabber). I have moved on to forums where I can contribute (Gearslutz, PreSonus ++).

PS. I can of corse change our Public IP adress...................... But it is tied to other services in the building. So NOT exclusively for Steinberg alone. Sorry
Old 18th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hello,

Yes, I understand your frustration and I wish I could have done more,
Here's what you could have done:

1. Politely warn the user that you consider the posts to be off-topic, and that the poster is or is approaching a "hijacking" scenario.

2. Explain just what in the posting determined that to be the case.

That way you people wouldn't look like you're just either shutting down dissent, or are just childishly vindictive.

By just banning a user without a warning and without explaining specifically how someone's posts constitutes something that warrants it no user will ever be the wiser on just where the line is drawn. With the exception of it looking like criticism is the common denominator.
Old 18th December 2015
Lives for gear

SB decided that due to all of the negative attention their forum was getting (due to disgruntled users) to start banning users and IP addresses instead of addressing the reasons the users were getting disgruntled. I can remember Chris B. chasing antelope's IP all over the web. I re-joined under different usernames because I love Cubase and tried to help as many as I could. For no good reason, I was banned multiple times. Each time, I became more and more frustrated with their modus operandi and began posting RTFM to basic questions instead of spoon-feeding people.

I used to help many people over there, was even thanked by Tank and others for my help. Had over 10,000 posts between my first two usernames on the blue forum, deleted the first due to Hippo and Onkle Gruesome attacking me for posting in the USB protected forums because I only ran LE1. I learned the higher versions by reading hundreds of posts in the forum looking for a solution to the only issue I've had with the software.

The new round of mods are the worst on the web. Even though I could re-join the forum after they banned my IP so I couldn't even read it, I wouldn't bother until they do a complete housecleaning to sweep the place clean.

Strike anyone as odd that the vast majority of people banned are from the US? Guess they still the outcome of the war against us.
Old 18th December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashedmitten View Post
SB decided that due to all of the negative attention their forum was getting (due to disgruntled users) to start banning users and IP addresses instead of addressing the reasons the users were getting disgruntled. I can remember Chris B. chasing antelope's IP all over the web. I re-joined under different usernames because I love Cubase and tried to help as many as I could. For no good reason, I was banned multiple times. Each time, I became more and more frustrated with their modus operandi and began posting RTFM to basic questions instead of spoon-feeding people.

I used to help many people over there, was even thanked by Tank and others for my help. Had over 10,000 posts between my first two usernames on the blue forum, deleted the first due to Hippo and Onkle Gruesome attacking me for posting in the USB protected forums because I only ran LE1. I learned the higher versions by reading hundreds of posts in the forum looking for a solution to the only issue I've had with the software.

The new round of mods are the worst on the web. Even though I could re-join the forum after they banned my IP so I couldn't even read it, I wouldn't bother until they do a complete housecleaning to sweep the place clean.

Strike anyone as odd that the vast majority of people banned are from the US? Guess they still the outcome of the war against us.
wow, the majority of your words/thoughts are uncalled for, disgusting, mean-spirited and illustrate a huge self-entitlement vibe on your part. Revolting. I'd ban you too .... just based on the above.....and I rarely visit the SB forums or have a clue on your postings there.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search