The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
VCA USELESS on Nuendo 7
Old 28th August 2017 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattiasnyc View Post
As far as I know there is absolutely no place you will find information from Steinberg about which "VB runtime and dot net" versions you're supposed to use. Nowhere.
Ok, Mattias, I got it. I'll try to repost this case on Nuendo forum, hopefully this evening (EU here). Will see what the guys say. Thanks for your assistance, I really appreciate it!

G.
Old 30th August 2017 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
I would start by trying to get the bug verified by other users. I'll try to find time tonight to check it. I have 7.1.35 downloaded I think but never got to install it, and I have a laptop I'm not using that often so I could install it there.
Hi Mattias,

I posted the description of that VCA problem on Steinberg N7 General Forum, but haven't got any feedback from people there so far...

If you happen to install 7.1.35 on your machine and check it regarding VCA's, would you please let me know then. Thanks in advance.
Old 30th August 2017
I'll try to find time tonight. I'm getting slammed with work, add some jetlag, and I'm moderately motivated to do troubleshooting.

One thing you can do is to post it as a question in the Nuendo 8 section. I have a feeling that if this got broken in 7.1.35 then it most likely is still broken in v8.x.

Also, don't put "deliberately" in the thread title. I see you wrote "VCA automation changing deliberately", and "Deliberately" means "on purpose". So I would probably make it more of a question. And once confirmed change it again to include "[BUG]" in the title. Just so people have the right 'expectations' when they open the thread.
Old 31st August 2017 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
I'll try to find time tonight. I'm getting slammed with work, add some jetlag, and I'm moderately motivated to do troubleshooting.

One thing you can do is to post it as a question in the Nuendo 8 section. I have a feeling that if this got broken in 7.1.35 then it most likely is still broken in v8.x.

Also, don't put "deliberately" in the thread title. I see you wrote "VCA automation changing deliberately", and "Deliberately" means "on purpose". So I would probably make it more of a question. And once confirmed change it again to include "[BUG]" in the title. Just so people have the right 'expectations' when they open the thread.
Thanks, I will fix it. Please, take your time and take a rest! It can wait.

About Steinberg - it is strange, that nowadays one can reach for technical assistance only trough the forums, so it is not granted... But I know, such ir the policy of many big companies.

I heard the rumors, that 7.1.40 is planed to release "some day" with that new video engine in it. But who knows. Maybe they abandoned it already about V7.

I have to find a machine with, say, Windows 10 and test it there too I guess.

best,

G.
Old 13th September 2017 | Show parent
Gear Nut

bug confirmed by Steinberg

Rehi,

I just got reply from one of Steinberg Nuendo forum's Moderators - Thorsten. He wrote:

Hello,
I confirm there is a problem like Girts described when the VCA reads automation but the associated channels do not have automation at all. The channels may be initialized with an offset in such case. To prevent this, the connected channels should at least have initial points.
We'll address this as soon as possible. Thanks for reporting.

Best regards,
Thorsten

Now we know, that the bug exists and how to deal with it.

Girts
Old 13th September 2017
It's so odd that I didn't run into the bug though. I didn't have automation on the channels being controlled so I would have thought I would get the offset.

Did you use virgin territory? No, right?

Either way it's awful.
Old 13th September 2017
I guess always coalescing VCA automation before closing / quitting is the way to go.
Old 17th September 2017 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
I guess always coalescing VCA automation before closing / quitting is the way to go.
Do you rendering out the tracks or some other form of bringing it all together? Thanks

Also thanks to Girts for spotting this
Old 17th September 2017 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by freezerman View Post
Do you rendering out the tracks or some other form of bringing it all together? Thanks

Also thanks to Girts for spotting this
Well, I was really just suggesting maybe adding a specific step to one's workflow.

I work in post production, and in terms of my workflow as far as gain control is concerned it goes like this most of the time:

1. input gain when recording (voice over only, and only sometimes)
2. clip/event gain (which will be pre-inserts)
3. more or less maintain unity gain through inserts 1-6 when using effects
4. manual fader/volume automation (Faderport motorized touch automation)
5. fast compression insert 7 or 8 (post inserts 1-6 and post fader)

Now that's all on a per-channel basis. All of my channels (let's say "dialog" for now) then go to their related 'food group' group channel;

6. de-essing, slower compression, broader EQ etc

Now all of my groups go to wherever they need to go to satisfy the specifications the client has given me. Once that has been done for dialog I'll do the same for nat-sound and sound effects most likely, and then the next step is;

7. mixing in music in touch-latch automation, throughout the entire program material.

Ok, so now it's all mixed and I typically review my program from beginning to end and make notes as I go along, figuring out what needs to change in my automation.

8. TRIM automation for any source I want to change. This is where I typically would reach for VCAs. I might have all dialog tracks connected to a dialog VCA but leave the individual tracks unlinked. This gives me the option of adjusting all dialog levels pre-group, simultaneously - AND also adjust them individually by just grabbing the individual fader. The point here is that the slow compressor will push me back if I go too far, but it won't lift as much as I sometimes need, so I can raise the level on all dialog tracks simultaneously over a section and I won't go too far due to the compressor. If one dialog track is lower than the rest for some reason I can quickly grab that and change it, without the need to "unlink" or anything.

My suggestion was simply that before closing my project, IF I had done any VCA automation, to just coalesce that automation with the source tracks it controls. So if I used VCAs to adjust my music channels I could simply coalesce that automation back into the music tracks and this error shouldn't be encountered.

PS: I think "coalesce" is "combine" in Steinberg terminology.... I'm mostly on Pro Tools so forgive me if I choose the wrong term

PPS: I also think this principle applies equally to music projects .....
Old 19th September 2017
Gear Nut

Hi mattiasync,

I really appreciate the detailed description 😊

I thought that was what you meant. I too am mostly on pro tools, though would love to spend more time in nuendo. The vca bug is a big one for me though.
📝 Reply