The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Odd Message When Rendering Audio Mixdown in C8 Pro
Old 4th August 2015
  #1
Lives for gear
 

Odd Message When Rendering Audio Mixdown in C8 Pro

Greetings,

I needed to open older projects to make changes and edits this morning. In several of these projects, I received the following message when attempting to render an Audio-Mixdown:

External Plug-In is used. Audio-Mixdown must be done in Real Time!

The problem is that there are no External Plugs Ins used. I don't have any hardware effects of any kind routed to Cubase (and never have) and that's confirmed by looking in the Devices>VST Connections>External Effects window. I've also checked every single channel in each project for oddities and none were found. I also made a copy of each project in which this issue occurred, deleted all of the VST effects and still received the message on render.

Most of my projects were created in Nuendo 5.5.6 and I've never experienced this issue in the past. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!
Old 5th August 2015
  #2
Gear Maniac
You can get the message if you're using external instruments. There is a semi random bug related to rendering and external devices. I get this often after freezing an external instrument -> close and open the project -> offline export -> the error message op described comes up. This can be worked around by unfreezing and refreezing the external instrument. Doing so you will be able to offline export again. This doesn't have an effect on the relatime export, so not a big problem, unless you can't wait a few minutes more for a reltime export or are running some severy heavy plugs that overload the asio buffer, so that realtime export can't be done wothout dropouts.

So do you have tracks in the project that have included some external equipment in the past? I assume that moving the contents (wave data) from such a track to a new one could help with this issue.
Old 5th August 2015
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Guillermo N's Avatar
 

Hello,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
Greetings,

I needed to open older projects to make changes and edits this morning. In several of these projects, I received the following message when attempting to render an Audio-Mixdown:

External Plug-In is used. Audio-Mixdown must be done in Real Time!

The problem is that there are no External Plugs Ins used. I don't have any hardware effects of any kind routed to Cubase (and never have) and that's confirmed by looking in the Devices>VST Connections>External Effects window. I've also checked every single channel in each project for oddities and none were found. I also made a copy of each project in which this issue occurred, deleted all of the VST effects and still received the message on render.

Most of my projects were created in Nuendo 5.5.6 and I've never experienced this issue in the past. Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!
Strange indeed, this message should only appear if you are using external effects...
Does this happens with all your projects that where created in Nuendo 5.5.6?
Do you have any particular Nuendo only plug-in on those projects? Perhaps a feature that is Nuendo only?

Best regards,
GN
Old 5th August 2015
  #4
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillermo N View Post
Hello,

Strange indeed, this message should only appear if you are using external effects...
Does this happens with all your projects that where created in Nuendo 5.5.6?
Do you have any particular Nuendo only plug-in on those projects? Perhaps a feature that is Nuendo only?

Best regards,
GN
Hi Guillermo,

I have hundreds of projects created in Nuendo that I've opened and converted to Cubase 8 Pro but this issue has only affected a few of them, so it's very random. There aren't any Nuendo-Only plugins in the affected projects.

I am still able to render the projects properly although it must be in real-time only. It's a not a huge deal, other than the time involved but I thought I'd share because it's just so odd.

Thanks!

Mike
Old 5th August 2015
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpu28 View Post
You can get the message if you're using external instruments. There is a semi random bug related to rendering and external devices. I get this often after freezing an external instrument -> close and open the project -> offline export -> the error message op described comes up. This can be worked around by unfreezing and refreezing the external instrument. Doing so you will be able to offline export again. This doesn't have an effect on the relatime export, so not a big problem, unless you can't wait a few minutes more for a reltime export or are running some severy heavy plugs that overload the asio buffer, so that realtime export can't be done wothout dropouts.

So do you have tracks in the project that have included some external equipment in the past? I assume that moving the contents (wave data) from such a track to a new one could help with this issue.
Thanks for the response. I've never used external instruments in the past and the projects that have this issue are fairly simple, with guitar, bass and drums only.
Old 6th August 2015
  #6
Gear Maniac
 
Peakae's Avatar
 

Could it be a DSP plugin was used at some point ?
I have had this happen, many times. I figured it was because I used external fx when recording, including some DSP fx. And later mixed on a different computer/setup.
Old 6th August 2015
  #7
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakae View Post
Could it be a DSP plugin was used at some point ?
I have had this happen, many times. I figured it was because I used external fx when recording, including some DSP fx. And later mixed on a different computer/setup.
I've been Native since 2010 and the projects that had this issue were created in 2014.

Thanks for response!
Old 7th August 2015
  #8
Here for the gear
 

I have the same problem message although for different reasons perhaps.

I do have External Plugins which are from my XS Rack.

So I do need to click on the Real-Time Export when mixing any of the XS Tracks to Audio.

However, after doing that I obviously Mute the VI XS Racks.

Then try to mix using only Audio tracks and I still get the message.

I would have assumed that since i muted those tracks, Cubase should be intelligent to know that the external plugins are no longer being used.

I have a topic in the Cubase forums but have yet to receive any response.
If I get one I'll pass it on here.

No DSP plugins either since 2012.
Old 7th August 2015
  #9
Lives for gear
 

OP, what happens if you do a backup project and open from the new location and do a mixdown?
Old 7th August 2015
  #10
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashedmitten View Post
OP, what happens if you do a backup project and open from the new location and do a mixdown?
I receive the same exact message.

It's no big deal, as the edits have been performed and submitted, but it's still very odd.
Old 9th July 2017
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Nearly two years later, I'm receiving the same exact message in Cubase 8.5 This time, it's really bad, as I need to render stems for more than 200 tracks, asap. Doing this in real time is going to take forever.

Please advise. Thanks!
Old 9th July 2017
  #12
Here for the gear
 

Hi Mike,
The only thing I can think of it to install the Cubase 9 Trial (30 days full install) in hopes that it resolves the problem.
Good luck.
Old 10th July 2017
  #13
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Depo1964 View Post
Hi Mike,
The only thing I can think of it to install the Cubase 9 Trial (30 days full install) in hopes that it resolves the problem.
Good luck.
Thanks for the advice but I think the only solution is to create new projects for each of the tracks in which this error occurs.

I can't deal with this again in the future if variations are needed.
Old 10th July 2017
  #14
Lives for gear
 

This is just unbelievable. I copied over all the audio files and settings to a blank slate template and I received the same exact message! Yet when I open projects that I created last week, all is fine.

This is absurd.
Old 1st March 2019
  #15
Here for the gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike P View Post
This is just unbelievable. I copied over all the audio files and settings to a blank slate template and I received the same exact message! Yet when I open projects that I created last week, all is fine.

This is absurd.
I don't know if you ever got this all figured out but I thought I'd respond anyway in case it helps anyone out there. I run Cubase and had the same issue. When you have a lot of tracks in the mix it can be difficult to remember where you might have used a certain plugin. I Figured it out this morning. What I did to figure it out was I Exported and instead of selecting Stereo Out I selected Batch Export and I stepped through selecting certain sections of tracks to export (select certain tracks, export, if it starts exporting ok click cancel, select different tracks, export, etc... until you find the problematic track or tracks). In my case, I found that there was ONE single track causing the problem and when I looked at that track in my Mix I realized I was using the Waves Studio Rack on my 808 Kick Track. I removed that and the issue was fixed. Its not a big deal BUT the reason I had to resolve it was because the Mix being done in real time was not completing due to my processor not being powerful enough. I was getting CPU issues. So I had no choice but to track down the culprit.

Hope this helps in some way.
Old 7th May 2019
  #16
Here for the gear
 

Hello,
Using 'Waves Studiorack' in the INSERTS Slots cause this issue too.
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump