The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cubase Pro 8 Vs. Studio One 3 Pro
Old 24th May 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cubase Pro 8 Vs. Studio One 3 Pro

Just for the fun of such a discussion

Last edited by MarkyGoldstein; 24th May 2015 at 10:47 PM..
Old 24th May 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Am I allowed to use Studio 1 if I'm in Studio 2?

What if I'm in Studio A or Studio B?
Old 25th May 2015
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyGoldstein View Post
Just for the fun of such a discussion
Im still undecided and use BOTH
Old 25th May 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I also use both - I have songs in both. I also use Logic because some friends use Logic. And in the evening I drive Ableton Live.
Old 25th May 2015 | Show parent
Deleted User
Quote:
I also use both - I have songs in both. I also use Logic because some friends use Logic. And in the evening I drive Ableton Live.
Catching up with you, I have Logic as well but haven't driven Live yet
Old 25th May 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Here are the things I miss from Cubase in S1v3 so far:
- Powerful MIDI editor - expression maps, keyboard shortcuts, etc.
- Quick search ability when adding an insert / instrument onto a track (you can do the same with the S1 browser, but it isn't as convenient because you then have to drag-n-drop it)
- Excellent CPU performance
- VCAs when mixing
Old 25th May 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's excellent cpu performance for cubase because it took two updates for them to get that right. With studio one this is the first major release. So of course their will be some bugs and cpu issues. After three or four releases I'm sure it will be different.
Old 25th May 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The main issue in Cubendo is bloat. It's full of things that I don't need or at least don't want to see. In Apple Logic X they have found a way to hide away many things and make it looks simple and relaxed again - if you need it, you can always turn on the advanced mode - very nice.

Cubendo should be cleaned a lot.
The GUI also needs further rewriting and cleaning and unification. It's a bit chaotic now, but it's gotten better again in Cubase 8.

I also got the impression in Cubendo that there is a large team working on things which are wrong in the foundation. Some of it is wrong in the VST standard. You see how Propellerheads Rack Extensions and AAX are taking the lead.
Even Ableton Live is going their own way because VST isn't bringing anything they really need (let's hope this will change in VST4).

Cubendo excels at band recording and band editing. If we are talking about Rock & Pop style multi-track tape style recording. I don't think it is as good for Electronica, Hip Hop, Techno, etc. even if you can produce these genres in it. But Studio One is also not a hero there.

Both are missing Pattern Machines, Modulators and highly integrated Sampling technology for loop oriented producers...

In my opinion Steinberg should have a look into Reason and Ableton Live and Bitwig and first bring VST4 to a higher level for such use cases. Then do a complete rewrite of the base platform with some proof of concept instruments based on the new foundation. Then rewrite all instruments on top.

Cubendo delivers a lot of features, and I'm sure you can produce with it. But it's kind of messy and needs a lot of cleaning and next generation rethinking outside of the good old midi & audio sequencer paradigma.

It's so much work that it also implies that they need a good management team and I think some people have to move over to rebuild the management of Steinberg & Yamaha (I don't know these people, but I can feel from their products that they have a leadership and management issue and I suggest they get young blood into the management).

Last edited by MarkyGoldstein; 25th May 2015 at 06:17 PM..
Old 25th May 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Like others I use both, it's more of "change of pace" issue than one is better. Both fit my workflow just right, I record just like I was in an old analog studio. I have decided to stay with Studio One V2 at least for now. The color scheme of V3 is too hard on my eyes and the white saturation I see when I leave it is real but no doubt an issue with my old eyes.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
The main issue in Cubendo is bloat. It's full of things that I don't need or at least don't want to see. In Apple Logic X they have found a way to hide away many things and make it looks simple and relaxed again - if you need it, you can always turn on the advanced mode - very nice.

Cubendo should be cleaned a lot.
The GUI also needs further rewriting and cleaning and unification. It's a bit chaotic now, but it's gotten better again in Cubase 8.

I also got the impression in Cubendo that there is a large team working on things which are wrong in the foundation. Some of it is wrong in the VST standard. You see how Propellerheads Rack Extensions and AAX are taking the lead.
Even Ableton Live is going their own way because VST isn't bringing anything they really need (let's hope this will change in VST4).

Cubendo excels at band recording and band editing. If we are talking about Rock & Pop style multi-track tape style recording. I don't think it is as good for Electronica, Hip Hop, Techno, etc. even if you can produce these genres in it. But Studio One is also not a hero there.

Both are missing Pattern Machines, Modulators and highly integrated Sampling technology for loop oriented producers...

In my opinion Steinberg should have a look into Reason and Ableton Live and Bitwig and first bring VST4 to a higher level for such use cases. Then do a complete rewrite of the base platform with some proof of concept instruments based on the new foundation. Then rewrite all instruments on top.

Cubendo delivers a lot of features, and I'm sure you can produce with it. But it's kind of messy and needs a lot of cleaning and next generation rethinking outside of the good old midi & audio sequencer paradigma.

It's so much work that it also implies that they need a good management team and I think some people have to move over to rebuild the management of Steinberg & Yamaha (I don't know these people, but I can feel from their products that they have a leadership and management issue and I suggest they get young blood into the management).
Speaking from the urban producers side it's easier in studio one. Watch part three of the live stream with producers who work with kanye west, beyonce, christina aguilera. Listen closely to the producers panel.
Watch the Studio One 3 Launch Webcasts | PreSonus Blog

Sorry don't want to hear you can't mix in studio one. I've been listening to a live album which was mixed by Abraham Martinez in studio one v2 professional. Mixes sounded great and he won grammy. So it's possible. Just my 2.

Last edited by sopre; 25th May 2015 at 06:47 PM..
Old 25th May 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Wouldn't get caught up in who's using what. Teddy Riley is a big S1 supporter. Hans Zimmer and Zedd are Cubase lovers. Calvin Harris and Greg Kurstin use Logic. Jimmy Napes and Dr. Luke use Pro Tools. This just means you can make a hit record in any of them. The question is for YOUR workflow, which DAW helps facilitate it the best RIGHT NOW (not two or three releases from now). Only you will be able to answer that depending on what your workflow requires - both have demos.
Old 25th May 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
All these tools which should enable amateurs to play a bass line in some rompler are just a waste of time. You will never hit the charts like that. They would better concentrate on online collaboration, so you can fly in a real bass player from the community. I have to say, I don't trust Sternberg nor Presonus in sound design - most of what I hear just sucks to my ears. Of course there are good sound designers out there, but most probably they are from some smaller company such as SampleMagic or Vengeance. and similar. The same seems to apply to synths and fx plugins...
Old 25th May 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Cubendo's IO & studio configuration is surely more comprehensive than Studio One's, though I also didn't quite like it - but at least it is usable.

Studio One still seems to be targeting ITB mixing more than OTB. It takes ages to wire up a Neve desk with 48 channels in your song, and in each song again and again...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
All these tools which should enable amateurs to play a bass line in some rompler are just a waste of time. You will never hit the charts like that.
Um...the upright bass on All About That Bass was programmed by Kevin Kadish from samples (Trillian if I remember correctly). That song was the definition of a hit.

It's the user, not the tools...
Old 25th May 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The drums are mixed twice as loud in that song.

So there is a reason why we should buy 3rd party instruments (Trillian) ;-)

Btw. ASIO Guard 2 has been an important engine rewrite for Cubendo. That's working on the foundation. Nice one Steinberg.

Last edited by MarkyGoldstein; 25th May 2015 at 09:20 PM..
Old 26th May 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
C8 for me is still the winner, by far. way more to it that i use, love the new new mixer and look and onboard plugs and instruments are alot better and deeper, way better CPU usage, and thats important, and Eucon for my artist controllers

i also like variaudio better than ARA and melodyne

C8 is for me the most comprehensive, deep, and all around great DAW's out there

S1V3 is ok. i like coloring all channels in the mixer. other than that there isnt anything in it that i need or would use over what I do in cubase

being on the mac side of things i think i would go cubase, then logic, then DP and nto get to S1 till about 4 or 5
Old 26th May 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
All these tools which should enable amateurs to play a bass line in some rompler are just a waste of time. You will never hit the charts like that. They would better concentrate on online collaboration, so you can fly in a real bass player from the community. I have to say, I don't trust Sternberg nor Presonus in sound design - most of what I hear just sucks to my ears. Of course there are good sound designers out there, but most probably they are from some smaller company such as SampleMagic or Vengeance. and similar. The same seems to apply to synths and fx plugins...
I hear ya.

Last edited by sopre; 26th May 2015 at 10:19 PM..
Old 26th May 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
From one of the users at the steinberg forum "Most of the professionals I know and work with are pretty fed up with this stuff and are slowly switching to either Studio One or Reaper. Steinberg need to get their act together with these licensing and upgrade policies if they want to keep their user base growing."
Old 26th May 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Company Profile*:*About Steinberg*|*http://www.steinberg.net/

No news in 2014? Maybe they are working on a rewrite
Old 26th May 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sopre View Post
From one of the users at the steinberg forum "Most of the professionals I know and work with are pretty fed up with this stuff and are slowly switching to either Studio One or Reaper. Steinberg need to get their act together with these licensing and upgrade policies if they want to keep their user base growing."
Why didn't you post a link to something you appear to be quoting to allow anyone to read it in full?

All your posts relating to Steinberg seem to err on the side of propaganda.

Last edited by Herb; 26th May 2015 at 11:50 PM.. Reason: Typo
Old 26th May 2015
Deleted #297939
His name should be sopre....nus
Old 26th May 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Which parts of Cubase need a rewrite?

Here's my take:
Arranger track
Systemlink
Freeze
Groove Agent integration
The GUI should get further work
Every menu item should be checked if it's really needed or if it could be hidden away for certain user profiles / settings
The single window interface should be further improved (with multi-monitor options alive)
VST needs constant development especially for Techno, EDM, Hip Hop, R&B user profiles... (groove, loop & non linear people in general)

I agree that Cubendo has a lot in there, but it's kind of built on top and on top and on top of an old midi audio sequencer paradigma. Some of the foundation should be rewritten.
Old 27th May 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zirLUOxjm0

Could you do this in S1 I wonder
Old 27th May 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I've seen these kinds of innuendo statements over all the years. Basically this kind of statement does not have any whatsoever influence over my decision making what DAWs I should use. I evaluate a DAW and if it's workflow suits me, then it's a good application. I don't care if David Guetta, Avicii or Calvin Harris is abandoning A for B. Most likely such statements are hearsay anyway.
Old 27th May 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Guetta is still in Logic (or at least his ghostwriters are) as is Calvin Harris. And Avicii has always been in FL Studio. Nobody of that visibility that I've heard about or seen has moved to Studio One...and definitely not to Reaper. Except maybe in the minds of people on GS.

The challenge for those folks is they have a required level of output on a daily / weekly basis. They usually don't have time to keep switching between DAWs unless their current one is causing them problems or if the new one can increase their output / productivity by a significant amount. They have adapted their workflows based on their tools. Neither Logic nor Cubase nor Pro Tools nor Ableton have so many issues that these professionals are doing a mass exodus onto something else (except maybe in the minds of people on GS once again).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clonkified View Post
Guetta is still in Logic (or at least his ghostwriters are) as is Calvin Harris. And Avicii has always been in FL Studio. Nobody of that visibility that I've heard about or seen has moved to Studio One...and definitely not to Reaper. Except maybe in the minds of people on GS.

The challenge for those folks is they have a required level of output on a daily / weekly basis. They usually don't have time to keep switching between DAWs unless their current one is causing them problems or if the new one can increase their output / productivity by a significant amount. They have adapted their workflows based on their tools. Neither Logic nor Cubase nor Pro Tools nor Ableton have so many issues that these professionals are doing a mass exodus onto something else (except maybe in the minds of people on GS once again).
+1 and I did use V2 for quite a while, far too many issues with stability. Some very clever features and workflow things but if you can't rely on it to actually work most of the time then its a no go for me. Say what you want about Cubase , Protools, Ableton and Logic ( and they all have issues) they are professional DAWs with pro features.

Last edited by woodsdenis; 27th May 2015 at 12:43 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
[QUOTE=woodsdenis;11075933]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zirLUOxjm0

I think studio one users, especially music producers are more concerned with a working product and making music. Not just full of features with asio performance issues that appear to be in every version since 7 and a slow work flow.

Last edited by sopre; 27th May 2015 at 02:05 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
Why didn't you post a link to something you appear to be quoting to allow anyone to read it in full?

All your posts relating to Steinberg seem to err on the side of propaganda.
"Honestly I think Cubase 8 has been a bit of a disaster so far. Windows UI is a mess, basic things not working like crossfade preset saving and the chord track having chords that dont sound and have no midi DATA. The list goes on. I don't even use Cubase 8, I paid for it and it's the icon is just sitting there on my desktop. I just want them to fix the software so it works as well as 7.5 did.

The other things I would love but I don't think will ever happen are all to bring Cubase into the modern age so it can compete with other DAWs and not only keep more existing users but maybe even get new ones:

- Give us an alternative to the dongle.

- Allow for more than one authorization.

- Fix the antiquated update model where we pay for x.5 updates. Considering how everyone else (other than Pro Tools, the other dinosaur) does updating I think Cubase needs to step it up.

- Remove the bloat.

Most of the professionals I know and work with are pretty fed up with this stuff and are slowly switching to either Studio One or Reaper. Steinberg need to get their act together with these licensing and upgrade policies if they want to keep their user base growing.

As it stands now I'm going to stay on Cubase 7.5 till Steinberg either addresses these things or till it stops being usable (unfortunately I know which is more likely to come first....). But yeah, uprading to Cubase 8 was a big mistake for me, and I never though I could be so disappointed with software that I've loved for so many years."
--Andreas
Kotsamanidis

www.steinberg.net β€’ View topic - Next stop after 8.0.10?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
"Honestly I think Cubase 8 has been a bit of a disaster so far. Windows UI is a mess, basic things not working like crossfade preset saving and the chord track having chords that dont sound and have no midi DATA. The list goes on. I don't even use Cubase 8, I paid for it and it's the icon is just sitting there on my desktop. I just want them to fix the software so it works as well as 7.5 did.
Bla, bla. bla. Don't know who this guy is, but JunkieXL and thousands of other users are more than happy with C8. "A disaster", hahaha, watch the 2.nd vid where he goes over his template.
Great video series - kudos to Mr. Clouser for sharing!

Edit: I kind of regret posting these vids, because it is absolutely childish to actually go down that route. Don't know exactly what your issues with Cubase are, Sopre, but maybe it's really time for you to move to an "urban" DAW like Ableton or S1.
BTW: Within this complexety called music the DAW itself is actually the slightest problem. Choose one, stick with it, learn it. And move on to more important tasks.

Last edited by color; 27th May 2015 at 02:59 AM..
Old 27th May 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Love that JXL series! He's really using Cubase to its full potential! That's what a pro's workflow looks and requires. Most other DAWs would completely collapse under those requirements (really think Cubase, PT, and Logic are the only ones that survive in that demanding of an environment a.k.a. Hollywood film scoring).
πŸ“ Reply