The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Cubase Pro 8 Vs. Studio One 3 Pro
Old 3rd February 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightshifter View Post
Sorry, don´t think so...
Even if some functions do not need every day, it's good to have them.
Just the other day I had a midi problem, I could solve this only with the Logical Editor. I've never used before. this is absolutely a great tool. Nice to have!
Superfluous features do not exist in cubase - there are solutions for every user and every musical style.
That's why it's great to have choices.

There are legacy aspects of Cubase that are needless but still included such as various pop out windows still there from previous versions that have now been included into new and streamlined workflows elsewhere.

My main point however was that we are not all at the same place. It took me the last 15 years of using other DAW's to appreciate what Cubase is. As more musician than engineer (albeit a former Sonar Tech) having as much out of the way in the beginning was important for me which is why Ableton was my first truly usable DAW. Regardless of the lack of features, I was able to really get something done in it. Now having tried every one of them, I respect the different approaches in each and still find Studio One to get itself out of the way a little more than Cubase, though 8 Pro is close enough that now I'm using it to take advantage of the amazing toolset it has.

My hope is that Steinberg continues this streamlining trend. For years they have always been known as the slower daw to navigate and get to what you want. I'm loving their direction they are taking. I'm also finding this version very stable and more CPU friendly than Studio One.

~C
Old 5th February 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
For me Cubase 8.5 has the features a busy professional needs.

Other DAW's do too, aren't we lucky to have choices :-)
Old 5th February 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehightenor View Post
For me Cubase 8.5 has the features a busy professional needs.

Other DAW's do too, aren't we lucky to have choices :-)
Hey! I'm a "high tenor" as well

And there are many in your camp. Part of the reason I switched was for studio collaboration.

C8P is an amazing daw.
Old 11th February 2016
Gear Nut

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Holy crap! read about 7 pages and stopped then...mainly repetition!

What if steinberg and presonus added cortana or siri so we could yell at the DAW itself?
Old 16th December 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWLfXMoVCcU
can you do all tempo things like cubase 8 in studio one 3?
thanks
Old 17th December 2016 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
And can you do all the other thousands of great Cubase-things in S1..?
Answer: NOPE.
Old 17th December 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
There is a similar function for VST link in Studio One ? Is it possible to sync several Studio One in differents computers via a similar protocol like Cubase does ?
Old 17th December 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Not yet. VST link was a nice idea, but it never matured. Ableton Link is where it should have gone. Cubendo needs a lot of reenginering and rewriting. All the bloat needs to be simplified.

Steinberg needs new leadership, meaning a renewal of their company culture and management.

S1 is still young.
Old 17th December 2016
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I have 4 PC stations with Cubase that are connected with the protocol VST Link, for me it is perfect to run a large power without really limits. I think only Cubase has this function which allows a very accuracy and reliable sync (especially when working on post-production). In my situation if other DAW (like SO) develops this kind of functionality I will definitely think twice to switch or not. Also I can't understand why sometime Steinberg doesn't go to more successful concept, especially when an idea is promising like VST link. Actually it works very well for me but the concept can go further.
Old 17th December 2016
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
VST Link was developed by Karl Steinberg. He really pushed the boundaries. He did many things correctly, but being a rock musician he positioned the software as a VST and audio software optimized for that kind of genre. Karl Steinberg was a very good engineer in his times. Recent moves to go into other more electronic genres are still not as good as Reason, Ableton Live and even Fruity Loops. Halfway cooked stuff. Anyway, the Cubase 9 sampler track looks promising. They are working on it.

My Cubase Pro 9.0.1 doesn't even start on my Mac (it crashes) and the company didn't answer my support ticket. I payed the upgrade fee and the software doesn't even start and nobody takes care of my case. Yes, they need a new CEO.
Old 17th December 2016 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkyGoldstein View Post
VST Link was developed by Karl Steinberg. He really pushed the boundaries. He did many things correctly, but being a rock musician he positioned the software as a VST and audio software optimized for that kind of genre. Karl Steinberg was a very good engineer in his times. Recent moves to go into other more electronic genres are still not as good as Reason, Ableton Live and even Fruity Loops. Halfway cooked stuff. Anyway, the Cubase 9 sampler track looks promising. They are working on it.

My Cubase Pro 9.0.1 doesn't even start on my Mac (it crashes) and the company didn't answer my support ticket. I payed the upgrade fee and the software doesn't even start and nobody takes care of my case. Yes, they need a new CEO.
An upgrade crashes leaving you unable to work? Unhelpful or non-existent CS? Studio One has that feature, too, occasionally... I don't like it.
📝 Reply