The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Lighting for a choir of 40 people for video?
Old 20th November 2020
Gear Head

Lighting for a choir of 40 people for video?

Hi guys, wondering if I can pick your brains for some advice.

When working as a tech, I'm mainly a sound engineer, and before the pandemic I would do small band events and conferences etc using my own sound kit.

I've recently picked up a booking for a school choir in a church. A video company are recording the show as the parents aren't allowed to watch it live due to COVID. I've been booked to record the audio (which I am very confident/competent with), and also light the choir for video.

The lighting is where I need a little guidance. All I need to provide is a front wash so that the choir can be seen well.

40 person choir in a traditional smallish old English church

I have some KAM partybar lights, the kind of LED par where there are 4 on a bar. I was initially thinking I could just tape some diffusers on them, pull the blue down, and that would be ok. I have 3 of those 'fixtures', so that may be enough, but also own a 9 generic LED pars (the kind with lots of little LEDs), and 4 generic cheap wash movers (unbranded, but identical to the stagg headbanger lights if you're familiar with them).

I use Chamsys with the magicQ dongle, and am comfortable enough with operating it.

As you can see from the calibre of my lighting gear, lights are normally a bundled in 'extra' for the sort of work I usually do, rather than a focus. They're fine for a wedding band etc, but for what is essentially a location film studio I'm a little nervous. It's stuff like colour temperature, flicker being picked up by cameras, all that sort of stuff!

My relationship is with the video company, who are a new client for me, and I don't want to look really amateur.

I'm happy to hire in some lights, budget permitting, but I also don't really know what to look for. I was thinking some LED source 4s? but then I don't know if they would actually be suitable, and if they are, how many I'd need.

I have a couple of weeks to figure this out, and would greatly welcome any input that you may have.

Chris
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear