The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Help picking a compact simple DMX controller.
Old 13th February 2020
Here for the gear

Help picking a compact simple DMX controller.

Hello Everyone,

The band just decided to jazz up our show with some lights. I got a pair off Amazon nothing fancy but they defiantly helped at our last gig. I'm the drummer, and looking for a controller that I can pre program which has the ability to recall presets with a single button press. The plan is to reach over mid song and change the lighting preset.

I recently tried out one of the generic 60$ boards off Amazon but found it pretty complicated. It also seemed like it was unable to access the other lighting programs like strobe.

I'm looking for something very simple to program, with re-callable presets (half dozen should do it), that is around $200 CAD. I don't want to bring a laptop but I'm not against programming the lights on a computer then saving them to a controller (if such a thing exists).

Any guidance would be amazing!

Thanks,
Old 17th February 2020
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
You should tell what fixtures you have, how many channels they need, what is your degree of knowledge... stuff like this.
Old 23rd February 2020
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy_Narf View Post
I recently tried out one of the generic 60$ boards off Amazon but found it pretty complicated. It also seemed like it was unable to access the other lighting programs like strobe.
If the board has memory locations and the fixtures are configured correctly you should be able to do this but it might not work the way you are thinking.

Basic controllers are very basic and one thing they usually cannot do is activate multiple scenes at the same time.. which is called stacking. An example of this would be say you have created a bunch of scenes with static color combinations, you can manually cycle through these with a single button press or set them to chase at some time interval.. all fine and good. But say you want to add a strobe effect that you can just punch in anywhere/anytime with a single button. Technically that is activating 2 scenes at once and that isn't possible with a lowend controller but there are ways to get the same effect. If you know what the strobe channel is for these fixtures you can manually activate it on that slider while a scene is active.. that is called manual override and it works fine as long as the attribute you are changing isn't already active in the saved scene. Of course that isn't as easy as pressing a button when you are busy playing so not ideal, the other option is you create a second set of scenes with the same color combinations but with strobe active and just select one of those to get the effect when you want it.
Old 27th April 2020 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Moving head or LED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danyloo View Post
You should tell what fixtures you have, how many channels they need, what is your degree of knowledge... stuff like this.

I prefer CHAUVET Obey 70 for moving heads. The Obey 3 could work for a few stationary LED.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
🎙️ View mentioned gear