The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Rope Lighting for Poor Man's Footlights?
Old 13th August 2019
Lives for gear

Rope Lighting for Poor Man's Footlights?

A 80-foot wide stage I work on gets complaints about the lack of frontal lighting on the orchestra (classical music hall). There's a "curb" at the front of the stage where I believe I can tuck in several runs of rope lights to give a footlight glow.

I'm thinking about three strands should put off enough light to give the front line of musicians sufficient audience-view illumination. The cost of pro or even semi-pro LED footlight fixtures is way out of budget for the amount I would need. Rope lighting is cheap and fairly long-life from what I've experienced in the past.

Too light-trash or a smart solution?
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Probably you've already solved this by now. It would be interesting to see how and some pictures.
At first thought, several things come to mind:
- front lighting shouldn't be directly in the eyes of the performer, maybe having lights placed so low can annoy musicians who will look in that direction when playing;
- lighting from a low point means that you'll have second (and more) row of musicians in shadow more than they currently are

Yes, pro LED fixtures are really expensive. But since everyone is on LED now, you'll find used halogen fixtures really cheap. And based on my personal taste, they also look better than LED on this type of locations.
Is hanging fixtures out of discussion?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search