The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is there a way to check if this hook is original?
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Is there a way to check if this hook is original?

Yesterday evening, between takes, I improvised this pentatonic snippet. It's not bad, but someone else could have easily thought of it already. Is there a way to check if this is a part of some existing song yet?

(I heard of a service called Shazam which might be useful for this, but the app seems to work through the cell phone's microphone. Or so my first read of the web site suggests.)
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Maniac

Eddie is that you?

Sounds like I'm about to see Axel Foley greasing his way around in some 80's slap-schtick awesomeness.

Old 6th August 2014
Lives for gear

Yup, you can try the phone app. But it really don't matter. There are only so many chords and notes to begin with and most have already been strung together at one time or other.

Make it your own and it will be fine.
Old 6th August 2014
Here for the gear

shazam compares waveforms so even if your riff is similar to another song unless its almost exactly alike shazam will not recognize.
Old 6th August 2014
Gear Maniac

I must admit, I had to search "Axel Foley". Aha, Beverly Hills Cop, an 1984 movie.
I checked the main theme, luckily it's different enough. Phew... :-)
Old 7th August 2014
Lives for gear

If you think it sounds like something else - then get rid of it. If you don't think it's original sounding, why should anyone else think so?
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search