The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
An album full of nothing but hits does not necessarily equal a good album Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

An album full of nothing but hits does not necessarily equal a good album

Wondering what people's thoughts are on this and would like to have a discussion.

Just I thought that I had while having a conversation with myself on the way to work..

A "hit" on an album equals an "explosion" in a movie....
Old 1st August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benprogfuse View Post

what? how?? an explosion that people really latch onto and keep replaying and thinking about all day?
Old 1st August 2014
Gear Addict

According to the Online Slang Dictionary you are right on the money:

"blow up
verb
- to significantly increase in one's socio-economic status.
I'm go blow up when my album is released."
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cetera View Post
what? how?? an explosion that people really latch onto and keep replaying and thinking about all day?
Yes, like Transformers... Full of explosions, makes lots of $!!..
Old 1st August 2014
People don't really appreciate the entire "album" as works of art anymore.

Thus, you could end up with 10 or 12 attempts to "hit" something on every note.

"Explosion" is a good way to put the current state of sonic enlightenment

Now you got me thinking...
people are trying to "explode" the mix on the 2-Shoot, in order for it to "explode" in public.
Just doesn't make any sense.
Unless your trying to blow up your fans speakers
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post

Thus, you could end up with 10 or 12 attempts to "hit" something on every note.

"Explosion" is a good way to put the current state of sonic enlightenment

Now you got me thinking...
people are trying to "explode" the mix on the 2-Shoot, in order for it to "explode" in public.
Just doesn't make any sense.
Unless your trying to blow up your fans speakers
pretty much my point. You're pretty much hitting the nail on the head.. or exploding it for that matter..
Old 1st August 2014
Quote:
pretty much my point. You're pretty much hitting the nail on the head.. or exploding it for that matter..
blow the roof off this mutha
Old 1st August 2014
GV1
Gear Maniac

It's all subjective.
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Here are the albums with the most hits, to get away from philosophical land. Some good ones in there! Some bad ones too. The Jackson's of course holding four in the top 10 of "albums with most hits."

Chock Full O' Hits - The albums that spawned the most Top 10 singles (US) - Rate Your Music
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
Here are the albums with the most hits, to get away from philosophical land. Some good ones in there! Some bad ones too.

Chock Full O' Hits - The albums that spawned the most Top 10 singles (US) - Rate Your Music
ha.. wow.. Subtract every album pre 2000 from the list and see what you are left with...
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
ha.. wow.. Subtract every album pre 2000 from the list and see what you are left with...
The 80s are the king decade of "albums of hits," by a landslide. Check the top of the article for the breakdown.

"Breakdown by decade:
60's - 1 title
70's - 4 titles
80's - 36 titles (the era of the blockbuster pop album)
90's - 7 titles
00's - 14 titles
10's - 7 titles"
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
The 80s are the king decade of "albums of hits," by a landslide. Check the top of the article for the breakdown.

"Breakdown by decade:
60's - 1 title
70's - 4 titles
80's - 36 titles (the era of the blockbuster pop album)
90's - 7 titles
00's - 14 titles
10's - 7 titles"
I wasn't refering to the number of hit albums, but the quality of the hit albums. I know it's all subjective, but in my opinion, >2000 = mostly dog Sh%t...

you have: Ke$ha, Maroon 5 Overexposed (Which I consider to be one of the biggest abominations of all time), Lady Gaga, etc..
Old 1st August 2014
Gear Addict
Quote:
I wasn't refering to the number of hit albums, but the quality of the hit albums. I know it's all subjective, but in my opinion, >2000 = mostly dog Sh%t...
There are definitely exceptions, but I'd probably prefer to not listen to most of the albums on there, pre-2000's included.

I don't agree with your assessment, but at least you acknowledge the subjectivity. Sure, I prefer Michael Jackson to probably anyone else on that list post 2000, but that's not really fair. Michael Jackson was a once-in-a-lifetime performer and doesn't really reflect the rest of the 80's.

Honestly, I'd say if you take out the timeless stars (Michael, Bruce, Whitney), the music is pretty comparable across decades. In the 80's you had Paula Abdul and in the 10's you had Katy Perry. Actually, of the two, Miss Perry is the better singer, but I can't say I'd choose to listen to either of their albums.

Where you really notice the difference is in the crossover hits. In the 80's, it was mostly pop-rock from Genesis/Phil Collins. However, by the 2000's rock was mainstream enough that the crossover hits were mostly Rap/contemporary R&B like Usher and TI.

Quote:
you have: Ke$ha, Maroon 5 Overexposed (Which I consider to be one of the biggest abominations of all time), Lady Gaga, etc..
I actually don't like Overexposed either, but if you ask me, Maroon 5's "Songs About Jane" is one of the best pop albums since the turn of the century. It has multiple catchy songs with enough variety and musicality to stay fresh. I'm not even a Maroon 5 fan per se, but that album is persistently in rotation for me (and among renowned company: Just As I Am, Appetite for Destruction, Songs in the Key of Life, Doggystyle, etc).
Old 2nd August 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell View Post
Couldn't agree more. And I think it's kinda sad. I enjoy an album and consider it a masterpiece (or not) by its totality, not the songs isolated. I really like when the songs on an album connect to each other in some way, not only by the sound of the band/artist itself, but the concept of the album as a whole piece.
Like i.e. the Beatles' Abbey Road. Those last tracks alone are not much, but they form an awesome combo when put together IMO.
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear
Music is subjective so what you consider a good album is not necessarily what your friend likes.
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear

An album full of nothing but hits does not necessarily equal a good album except if the album is called...

BEST OF BEE GEES

HW
Old 2nd August 2014
Quote:
Wondering what people's thoughts are on this and would like to have a discussion.

Just I thought that I had while having a conversation with myself on the way to work..

I totally hear ya.

Take 10 songs and there are going to be 3,628,800 possible permutations the songs could be ordered in. Of course, the criteria for 'judging' the order of the songs are all but limitless and highly subjective, but for any given matrix of criteria, there's going to be one 'best' and one 'worst' and a whole lot of in-between.
Old 3rd August 2014
Gear Head

Its hilarious how some people feel what they think is great/good/decent/trash is THE OBJECTIVE TRUTH.

My question is WHO THE HECK NAMED YOU TO HAVE THE AUTHORITY OF SAYING OBJECTIVELY WHAT IS A GOOD ALBUM???
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eli on the Grind View Post
Its hilarious how some people feel what they think is great/good/decent/trash is THE OBJECTIVE TRUTH.

My question is WHO THE HECK NAMED YOU TO HAVE THE AUTHORITY OF SAYING OBJECTIVELY WHAT IS A GOOD ALBUM???

Quote:
...the biggest selling records are the most beloved songs for that time period.
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Head

LMAO

So I guess when Adele went 10x Platinum that means that MOST PEOPLE BOUGHT FOR NO REASON RIGHT???
Old 4th August 2014
Gear Maniac

A lot of people just buy individual tracks on Itunes now, so your 10 track album could be worth $1.98 if you have two hits or $4.95 if you have 5, also at this price they are more likely to just purchase the whole thing.

I don't think anyone ever has said "That album would have done a lot better if they replaced some of them popular hits with fillers."
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
LMAO

So I guess when Adele went 10x Platinum that means that MOST PEOPLE BOUGHT FOR NO REASON RIGHT???

"Even if everybody in the world agreed that a song was 'good' or 'bad', that does not prove that it is objectively 'good' or 'bad'.
All it shows is that everyone has the same subjective view."

-loodmoney

"All music is art.
"All art is subjective."

-Bonsaik
Old 4th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megamind View Post
A lot of people just buy individual tracks on Itunes now, so your 10 track album could be worth $1.98 if you have two hits or $4.95 if you have 5, also at this price they are more likely to just purchase the whole thing.

I don't think anyone ever has said "That album would have done a lot better if they replaced some of them popular hits with fillers."
I stopped buying greatest hits albums because I bought a Dylan record (to get a handful of the 'Basement tapes' which I already had most of from the famous Great White Wonder bootleg) that was just a jumble of periods and songs with no flow whatsoever. Maybe someone had some conception of why there were 4 sides of jumbled, incoherent non-flow from one tune to another, but I found the album completely unlistenable. (And, of course, on vinyl, you are stuck with that flow unless you want to keep jumping up and down and putting ticks and scratches in your vinyl with extra mid-side needle drops.)

What might strike some casual listeners as 'filler' can often be music designed or selected specifically to transition from one song or set of songs to another.

No doubt there are those who will buy the first (crushingly over-familiar) movement of Beethoven's Fifth Symphony to get the 'hit' -- and I know they won't get my concerns here -- but it seems to me that's like being satisfied with a torrid makeout session and going home to have to take a cold shower.

That said, of course, a lot pop and rock albums are simply a jumble of tracks, anyhow, unrelated except by chronology and provenance. I can see plucking some perceived jewell from the muck in such cases, to be sure.

But some assembled works really do work together. Sometimes they are written of a piece and more often arranged and produced to fit together. There are some great albums that have a lot of killer tracks that then become even greater in synergism born of thoughtful juxtaposition.
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

This is a fine example of what is now irrelevant to todays younger generation of music consumers.You might love this album...quality songs...real players...you like the BG'S whatever fine.There is no new audience that will buy and listen to this in its entirety.Hipster kids with Hipster parents in the music/ entertainment industry do not count.Becks kids don't count.I'm talking about regular mass consumers.Not people trying to impress others with their good taste.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss View Post
An album full of nothing but hits does not necessarily equal a good album except if the album is called...

BEST OF BEE GEES

HW
Old 4th August 2014
Now, Horizontal, there was a Bee Gees album you could (mostly) listen to. (Except for maybe "Massachusetts" -- never warmed up to that track.)
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

"I'm firmly convinced that if all students from the first grade (even kindergarten) through their last years in college were exposed to simple ear training exercises that allowed them the opportunity to identify what they were hearing on the radio. TV, records, jazz, opera, orchestra, chorus, band, etc., our music scene in general would be much different! In my opinion, if simple exercises, coupled with simple music theory, were carried out in public schools, the public would demand music of a much higher calibre than they are presently consuming. Why would they demand "better" music? Because they would HEAR that the music they are being fed is too repetitious, trite, and banal to warrant our attention, much less our money on the sales of records or concert attendance."

-Jamey Aebersold

PS- Check his link below.

http://www.jazzbooks.com/mm5/download/FQBK-handbook.pdf
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss View Post
"I'm firmly convinced that if all students from the first grade (even kindergarten) through their last years in college were exposed to simple ear training exercises that allowed them the opportunity to identify what they were hearing on the radio. TV, records, jazz, opera, orchestra, chorus, band, etc., our music scene in general would be much different! In my opinion, if simple exercises, coupled with simple music theory, were carried out in public schools, the public would demand music of a much higher calibre than they are presently consuming. Why would they demand "better" music? Because they would HEAR that the music they are being fed is too repetitious, trite, and banal to warrant our attention, much less our money on the sales of records or concert attendance."

-Jamey Aebersold

PS- Check his link below.

http://www.jazzbooks.com/mm5/download/FQBK-handbook.pdf

Here are the Bee Gee's being reviewed as "banal, trite, and without grace" in 1968. My jazz instructor at the University couldn't say the word "BeeGee" without looking like he was choking down sour milk.

Bee Gees Idea Album Review | Rolling Stone

This type of knocking the new generation's music is excruciatingly more banal than any music has ever been! Talk about pointless and repetitive! You you guys LIKE being a living caricature of the aging snobby elitist musician?

At least the review above notes that "banality and tritness" are inherant to rock music, and then goes on to accept these qualities, and reviews the record as positively as possible in SPITE of these qualities.: "So there we have the Bee Gees: banal, graceless, trite, let us add melodramatic. And let us also add that this is all in one of rock's oldest and strongest traditions."

Its such bad vibes sh*tting on other's musical taste all the time. Yet its the aging musician's favorite pasttime. I just don't see the purpose! I'm making a conscious effort to never go there myself, to always put effort into appreciating, and to keep my mouth closed in those cases where my opinion is nothing but negative.
Old 4th August 2014
You had to be something of a brave soul in my crowd to admit to liking the Bee Gees in the 60s (and braver still, a decade later). Stuff like, "Words" and "I Started a Joke" seemed to be almost self-parodyingly precious. But, for me, that was the draw. Songs like those two were just so very much true to themselves -- so fully actualized. Like "Purple Haze" or "Smells Like Teen Spirit" or "Rehab" or "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites" (sorry, my knowledge of contemporary iconic hits is pretty spotty, but substitute your favorite(s)) each of those songs sort of created its own solipsistic musical paradigm and fulfilled it completely.

Hoping to not get demerited for using solipsistic and paradigm in the same sentence. Oops, notice an iconic in there, too... [sigh]
Old 4th August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
You had to be something of a brave soul in my crowd to admit to liking the Bee Gees in the 60s (and braver still, a decade later). Stuff like, "Words" and "I Started a Joke" seemed to be almost self-parodyingly precious. But, for me, that was the draw. Songs like those two were just so very much true to themselves -- so fully actualized. Like "Purple Haze" or "Smells Like Teen Spirit" or "Rehab" or "Scary Monsters and Nice Sprites" (sorry, my knowledge of contemporary iconic hits is pretty spotty, but substitute your favorite(s)).
Yeah I personally love the BeeGees, they're amazing to me! Just using them as the reference, since they were serving the purpose "old act on a pedestal though rose-colored lenses" in this thread.

Other musicians' pointless "banal, trite" snobbery is the reason they weren't more appreciated in their own time, to the detriment of whoever impulsively wrote them off because they seemingly lacked the complexity of other music. A closed mind only hurts the one who's mind is closed. .
Old 4th August 2014
Here for the gear
Quote:

I agree. In fact, most of my favourite songs aren't the "hits" on the album. Normally a hit is really attractive since it's repetitive, predictable, instantly apparent of what it is. It feels like you already know the song, so you can get into it right away. The same thing that makes you instantly like it is why we get bored of it pretty quickly.

The non-hits take a few listens to get into...to truly understand what it is. Great non-hit songs are what makes albums for me.

Some of my favourite bands, I remember listening to for the first time and thinking they were terrible. Now, those are the bands where I'm still listening to their music 5 years later.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search