The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is there anything Bach did not do??? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 27th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsowa View Post
Can you point to an instance where he did the suspense film two augmented chords separated by a minor 3rd thingie:

B-D#-G-A#-D-F#

?

Great contribution!!!

I had to go fire up the keyboard to try that sucker out, even added an A at the top for good measure.

So would you classify that as a true "polychord"? Definitely a sound that would perk his ear..... Could you imagine hearing that in a dark hallway at night in 1725? That would be some creepy [email protected]

Thanks again for the contribution, definitely adding that to my toolbox.
Old 27th March 2014
Lives for gear

Imagine a strictly chromatic melody (e,f,f#,g,etc) over minor chords with tritone and/or chromatic bass movement (Am - - - Ebm - - - Em - - - Bbm).

Even Bach would say blahyuck ! heh
Old 28th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagelove View Post

.... it was others that derailed the threads direction. This thread is the first time I have ever even heard of "sonic theory". Not to demean it in anyway, but I would say it is much easier to master a filter than master the harmonic structure of the Art of Fugue.
Yes, but working with sonics is not necessarily simpler. To get a good sound for a rock track (let's say A day in the life by the Beatles) can be as complex and rewarding as any harmonic creative work.

I get why you don't want to go down that speculative road, but there are hugely complex areas in working with recorded sound that Bach never ventured into.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagelove View Post

Don't mistake that for me dismissing repetitious music, hell, I grew up listening and playing to rock and roll which is basically the same 25 chord progressions used over and over. There are also interesting things in Indian music to do with repetition. I just don't think the (arguably) greatest genius in music history would be fascinated by it.
Perhaps he wouldn't, as most of his work did not deal with it. But music that includes a lot of repetition (think of Fela Kuti's half hour jams on basically the same groove, Lamonte Young's drone pieces, or, simply a good funk or rock drummer playing variations on a drum pattern) can be completely fascinating and complex.

I get that you are interested in traditional Western music and look at music through that prism (and Bach would probably tooyou're drawing at, which is what ), but some of your comments are a bit dismissive of the complexity and worth of other traditions or musical practices.

And who knows, Bach would maybe discover some of these new areas of music that he wasn't aware of and go crazy for them!
Old 28th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
some of your comments are a bit dismissive of the complexity and worth of other traditions or musical practices.

The thread was not about the complexity or worth of different musical styles. That is subjective. Whether or not Bach played a certain chord etc, is not.

Please read the whole following before forming an opinion.

For some reason people get offended if others don't fall down over 4 chord music. To many people, it is boring. I personally don't find synths exciting or emotional because to me, I think of it as 1 chord that goes nowhere. That is just the way I hear music

However,

The other day my mother was looking into getting a native american flute. Long story short, I sat down with a guitar to show her what sounds you could get out of the instruments she was looking at (minor pentatonic tuned flutes). So I play the simplest, minor pentatonic based melody based on a couple sequences. She was like

oh my god, that almost made me cry

Meanwhile she will walk by while I am playing some complex bebop line and she does not blink an eye. It just does not touch her. (which makes me cry for all the work I put in!!!) I will leave the why for another day because that open up a whole different discussion.

Point is, people listen differently. What impresses some, bores others to tears.

That includes Bach

Many people find Bach boring. When I listen to the AOF I am amazed at every turn. It always goes someplace new and unexpected. Meanwhile others listen and go so what.

That is the problem with discussing the subjective nature of music. Everybody is different.

However, we can objectively look at the music itself, and discuss what was and was not done. When and where the things that were not done came from, and to whom the credit goes. Lets keep the thread in that direction.
Old 28th March 2014
Lives for gear

Ok, fair enough. No disrespect to the rest of thread, it was a good read even for me.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search