The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New EP/Writing as a band in pop music
Old 18th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkheadedbug View Post
Otherwise you're giving it all away on the first date.
SHOES!!!

seriously, where did you get em?????
Old 18th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
This is a good song and sound, you guys show a lot of promise.

I have to echo the auto-tune suggestions. I'm not sure its helping you. Its a very pop move, and the sound of the song is very pop, with a touch of indie and a touch of country. The real-world issue you're facing is that male acts rarely do well as straight pop, except for boy bands targeting younger girls.

Typically male acts need to have a home in some other genre as well as pop, they need a base in either indie, hip hop, country, rock, or EDM. Just look at the charts to verify. There are simply no male Katy Perry/Carly Rae/Gaga/Kesha/etc equivalents, except the occasional pop song from an Usher/Derulo type, who both appeal to the urban crowd as well as pop.

Pitbull - urban. John Legend - urban. Aloe Blacc - urban. Avicci - EDM. Zedd - EDM. Passenger - indie. Eminem - urban. Imagine Dragons - indie. You wouldn't describe any of them as "pop" first, they all have a sub-genre home.

So I would recommend going much further towards indie and/or country with your sound and vocal performance. The auto-tune in particular is making the song seem extra-pop. The songwriting is good, the ideas are good, the potential is high. But you're going to have to reach a sub-genre other than pop in a significant way to really catch, unless you want to bank on being that one act that's an outlier. Which isn't usually a great gamble. (Taio Cruz did it for one song with Dr Luke, so it can be done. He couldn't repeat though, even with Luke).

Hope this helps as you develop things further.
I'm just throwing this question out there, but isn't gaps in a market a good opportunity. It's like when you see a resurgence of of boybands and girlbands after they went out of fashion. Even old images become fresh again. Is what is been reflected on charts because of a gap and no one is trying or because the pop audience isn't interested?
Old 19th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stclair View Post
I'm just throwing this question out there, but isn't gaps in a market a good opportunity. It's like when you see a resurgence of of boybands and girlbands after they went out of fashion. Even old images become fresh again. Is what is been reflected on charts because of a gap and no one is trying or because the pop audience isn't interested?
Ya, you cant really chase whats in style, you just do your thing and hope the gap you find yourself in becomes relevant.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by stclair View Post
You have to do an honest assessment of why the gap is there. Is there a market that isn't getting filled? Or is there not a significant market? To answer, I look at history and the current overall mental state of society.

In the case of male pop acts, I think there's little demand. To a large extent, society expects grown men to be men, and pop is inherently young or teen. So when a grown man does straight up pop super polished with no edge he comes off boyish and thus less appealing overall. So Eminen steps in and takes that slot, doing pop with legitimate street appeal.

In my analysis and opinion.

I definitely think there's a wide open slot for a gay male Lady Gaga though, doing straight up pop. That's definitely coming, and will be huge when it connects. But that's not the OP. They just need to fine tune a bit and they're a legit indie act.
Old 19th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post

In the case of male pop acts, I think there's little demand. To a large extent, society expects grown men to be men, and pop is inherently young or teen. So when a grown man does straight up pop super polished with no edge he comes off boyish and thus less appealing overall. So Eminen steps in and takes that slot, doing pop with legitimate street appeal.
And you're totally right, this is why I do different music nowadays when it comes to my own music. There's just no market, better for me to stick with indie-dance, and guess what, it's been rewarding.
Old 19th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
And you're totally right, this is why I do different music nowadays when it comes to my own music. There's just no market, better for me to stick with indie-dance, and guess what, it's been rewarding.

Old 19th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ETA View Post
I'm signed on an amazing label because of that, so I'd say the facepalm is on you, and the last laugh is on me (because I'm having the last laugh) .

Get a different singer asap.
Old 19th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
I'm signed on an amazing label because of that, so I'd say the facepalm is on you, and the last laugh is on me (because I got the last laugh) .
maybe it could be its own thread, or forum, or page or universe.
Old 19th March 2014
Quote:
maybe it could be its own thread, or forum, or page or universe.
Yes it could I guess. Again get a different singer!!! You're killing a good amount of potential here.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes it could I guess. Again get a different singer!!! You're killing a good amount of potential here.
They said they both sing, for what it's worth.

I'm not a singer but I've been practicing everyday. It's hard! No instant gratification like learning a new guitar lick. Gotta just put in mad hours I guess.
Old 19th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted314 View Post
They said they both sing, for what it's worth.

I'm not a singer but I've been practicing everyday. It's hard! No instant gratification like learning a new guitar lick. Gotta just put in mad hours I guess.
I don't think they understand that if they want to do straight pop, it'll be pretty much impossible to get a career going with male singers, because it just doesn't work. If you look at the charts, most Male pop singers stick with the Urban or rock side of things (or Indie like Bastille).

Pharrell: Urban
John Legend: Urban
Jason Derulo: Urban/Pop
One Republic: Rock
Pitbull: Urban/Rap
Aloe Blacc: Urban/Rock
Passenger: Rock
One Direction: Boy band (who don't write or produce any of their music)
Kid Ink: Urban/Rap
Eminem: Urban
Bruno Mars: Urban/Rock

There's a pattern right there, just by looking at the Billboard charts. There's no demographic for pure Male pop/synthpop music.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
SHOES!!!

seriously, where did you get em?????
They're all over eBay... google 'male platform shoes'.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Shoes? Well, images are definitely important, I've suggested using more photos' that show off their personalities, they have some good photos. The one of them in the graffiti subway doesn't really tell me anything about them and I'm a bit confused by it. I'm kind of expecting to hear rapping, not sure what the thinking is behind it. There's much better images on their facebook and twitter sites.

I've played their stuff to a few friends over here in the UK and they say it is light weight. The euro pop one isn't wild enough for the gay clubs and the other stuff isn't dark enough for the indie scene.

My feeling, and this was confirmed by other people over here, is that they have some good songs but their sound isn't really hooking people into them.

I don't think they need to change their singer as some people have suggested, they write well together.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
There's no demographic for pure Male pop/synthpop music.
The gay scene in the UK and Europe, but it's a bit harder sounding over here.
Old 19th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieB View Post
Shoes? Well, images are definitely important, I've suggested using more photos' that show off their personalities, they have some good photos. The one of them in the graffiti subway doesn't really tell me anything about them and I'm a bit confused by it. I'm kind of expecting to hear rapping, not sure what the thinking is behind it. There's much better images on their facebook and twitter sites.

I've played their stuff to a few friends over here in the UK and they say it is light weight. The euro pop one isn't wild enough for the gay clubs and the other stuff isn't dark enough for the indie scene.

My feeling, and this was confirmed by other people over here, is that they have some good songs but their sound isn't really hooking people into them.

I don't think they need to change their singer as some people have suggested, they write well together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavieB View Post
The gay scene in the UK and Europe, but it's a bit harder sounding over here.
Ya it wouldn't fit. I think they need to know what their demographic is before making their next EP. No reason to make music if no one is interested (well ok, some people are fine with that haha)/
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Don't listen to a loser like me, I couldn't write a hit song if my life depended on it I'm a nobody, carry on.
+100 agree
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

To the OP: I hate pop music, but I think it sounds good and it's obvious that you put a lot of work into this. The fact that you actually play instruments and not just browse through loops helps a lot. It shines through.
Old 19th March 2014
Hey bud, you're in my ignore list, don't quote me thanks, as I don't check what you write about my quotes.
Old 19th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hey bud, you're in my ignore list, don't quote me thanks, as I don't check what you write about my quotes.
I'm not your bud and I qoute you as I please. I couldn't care less if you like it or not. If you ignore me you should not care.
Old 20th March 2014
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange Leaf View Post
To the OP: I hate pop music, but I think it sounds good and it's obvious that you put a lot of work into this. The fact that you actually play instruments and not just browse through loops helps a lot. It shines through.
Thanks Strange Leaf, good to hear from you man...would love to visit Sweden one day! its cool when someone notices we actually play instruments and if you come to a show you might be surprised at how much we jam and interpret what is on the record. 1. its pop music and 2. its written with influences in mind like One Republic, Coldplay, Bruno Mars, Fun ect...but live it has more elements too it. I grew up listening to a lot of U2, but also Jazz and lately hip hop and electronic music are creeping in. Im really digging Bon Iver, Miguel, Drake, Frank Ocean, Duke Ellington, Kendrick Lumar, Bruce Springsteen, and Peter Gabriel....mash ups of all those guys would be rad. I guess we are pretty ADD when it comes to focusing in on a direction and this forum is helping us come to some realizations, theres just so much good music in the world and its fun referencing as much of it as possible. Maybe we say **** it and go completely experimental on the new songs....we were never dreaming of being pop stars, we just wanted to make music that had the best chance of being heard and would give us an opportunity to make more of it...

Chris
Guitar/Vocal
ETA
Home
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

That sounds like all the right reasons for doing music. I wish you all the best.
Old 21st March 2014
Here for the gear

Too Late Now - EP is out now on iTunes! for anyone who liked what they heard and would rather pick up the EP from iTunes then download it for free from our site, heres the link:

https://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/to...ep/id844450047

We were thinking of pressing a couple hundred vynl for fun…(and to help fund our next EP), anyone have any luck with that concept in the past?

Thanks,

ETA

Home
@esctheaudience
Old 24th March 2014
Gear Head

Pretty darn awesome ! your songs..
Old 21st April 2014
Gear Nut

Well done.

Quote:
Hi, We are Escape the Audience.
Hi ETA.

I think your tracks sound cool. The production/tune/vocalist actually reminded of a track I heard at the gym some months ago. (They play mainstream radio).
Good songs, talent, appealing image. Going through the whole thing now and I'm going to post a little later!

You can probably ignore most of what Chris Lago has to say. His posts stink of envy. I've noticed a pattern - he gets intimidated by most of the other artists on here. Unless you're on a major label he won't have anything good to say about you. (Which is funny, because he's not exactly cutting it on the billboard charts himself.) Don't let his opinions based on insecurities clutter your mind. What's ironic is that he tends to complain about male-singers tone of voice. But I've promised to not criticize his voice.

Besides, his whole music making philosophy is based on "trends" and what others are doing. That says a lot about the kind of opinion you're getting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago
There's just no market [for male pop singers].
Good attempt to sway guys out of making pop-music.

And a great excuse for copping-out on your end. Keep rolling with that. That's cool - you don't exactly look like a pop-star, and there's just not enough vocal talent or originality in you to make it on the billboards. At least you've realized that.
Old 21st April 2014
ST.
Gear Addict

ETA,

FWIW I think it sounds fantastic!!

However, from a fidelity point of view, I agree with one of the earlier posts- it's too hot. It sounds like the vocal went through a bit crusher or something.

The world needs more male pop singers IMO. Keep on doing what you love :D!
Old 22nd April 2014
Gear Maniac

catchy tune. just wanted to second other comments that the vocal sounds crushed/distortedly crushed. If it's the effect you're going for that's one thing - but if not it might do well to back off a tad on compression. I like the song.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search