The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Why Do People Hate Rock Music? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 11th March 2014
  #1
Gear Head
 
HSA7's Avatar
 

Why Do People Hate Rock Music?

Not a response to Fraternalhouse's thread, but I realized after reading many threads here and elsewhere, that rap may actually be more popular than rock. I like rap, but also rock in all its forms and pop, country, jazz, classical, everything in doses.

So, why, in our current culture do I feel a little odd saying "I like rock." I sense that if you like rock today (or play it), you're quickly labeled irrelevant or worse dismissed by the current culture as cliche. Do you feel it is simply a tired old genre reserved for cover bands, mid western beer drinkers, boomers, old hippies and punks? Do you hate rock? Do you love rock? Do you tolerate rock? Do wish it would just die already?
Old 11th March 2014
  #2
Lives for gear
 
WinnyP's Avatar
Because of nickleback and creed?
Old 11th March 2014
  #3
Lives for gear
 
oceantracks's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSA7 View Post
Not a response to Fraternalhouse's thread, but I realized after reading many threads here and elsewhere, that rap may actually be more popular than rock. I like rap, but also rock in all its forms and pop, country, jazz, classical, everything in doses.

So, why, in our current culture do I feel a little odd saying "I like rock." I sense that if you like rock today (or play it), you're quickly labeled irrelevant or worse dismissed by the current culture as cliche. Do you feel it is simply a tired old genre reserved for cover bands, mid western beer drinkers, boomers, old hippies and punks? Do you hate rock? Do you love rock? Do you tolerate rock? Do wish it would just die already?
Love rock, it is music, as a opposed to much of what I hear that is considered hit worthy today, which is mainly sound. Sound....vs music.


TH
Old 11th March 2014
  #4
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSA7 View Post
So, why, in our current culture do I feel a little odd saying "I like rock."
Because mainstream rock radio more or less only plays modern grunge as rock these days, and as a result nobody listens anymore. Rock is still cool, but you have to find it yourself.
Old 11th March 2014
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Yeah, homogenized rock in the form of Nickelback really demonstrates the decrepid state of rock today. And the Foo Fighters, while better, are still pretty bland.

I'm a life-long fan of rock in all forms who loves this new thread because I now get to bash the lame, boring, predictable CRAP rock which is rock today.

It's STOCK rock, CRAP rock, CHEAP rock, LAME rock, TAME rock, PSEUDO-soulful slickly produced SQUASHED rock. Dull, tired, pointless, going through the motions with little or no passionate intensity.

That's my opinion. As a rock fan.

Now why do the rock haters hate rock ? Because of the above and because they just don't like guitars, or guitar solos, or harsh / rough / screaming vocals, or the lyrical concepts.

I sometimes wonder if the "well" of rock just went dry (as in extinct for resources) sometime around 2000, and/or if some anti-rock folks genuinely wanted to usher it out of the scene.

What's funny though, are those who call others "rockist" for loving rock, and then call them "bigots" for not loving hip-hop or rap. Now THAT is funny (yet understandable, in a way, I guess).
Old 11th March 2014
  #6
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case View Post
but you have to find it yourself.
To save us the needle in the haystack search, could you give us starving rock fans some listening suggestions ?
Old 11th March 2014
  #7
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldon2975 View Post
could you give us starving rock fans some listening suggestions ?
The Generationals from New Orleans
St. Vincent and Annie Clark
69 Chambers from Switzerland
Nectarphonic from California

And it ain't grunge. Let grunge die.
Old 11th March 2014
  #8
Lives for gear
 

I don't think it's hated. It's way more apathy than hate in my experience. I've never met an anti-rock extremist, or anyone specifically saying they hate rock. It's just, when it's on, you're likely to get a request for something else these days.
Old 11th March 2014
  #9
Lives for gear
 

Thanks. As long as it stubbornly does it's own thing with high, driving energy, raw natural vocals and good guitar work, it's Rock to me.
Old 11th March 2014
  #10
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldon2975 View Post
Thanks. As long as it stubbornly does it's own thing with high, driving energy, raw natural vocals and good guitar work, it's Rock to me.
A lot of Beatles music was rock also. People have this mindset that rock has to be super heavy. That mentality is the death of rock. Rock will only survive if it gets back to having variety. People are totally bored with grunge after grunge that all sounds the same.
Old 11th March 2014
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case View Post
A lot of Beatles music was rock also. People have this mindset that rock has to be super heavy. That mentality is the death of rock. Rock will only survive if it gets back to having variety. People are totally bored with grunge after grunge that all sounds the same.
Yeah, you are right, I shouldn't have implied it "always has to".
Old 11th March 2014
  #12
Lives for gear
 

Frank ? Thanks for those tunes, but they did zero for me personally. I really hope others are getting what they need out of those bands and songs.

For me, and a certain % of old schoolers, it takes stuff more like this to satisfy the hunger for rock songwriting.

More Than A Feeling , Boston , 1976 Vinyl 45RPM - YouTube


Rush - Spirit Of Radio (Vinyl) - YouTube


Ahh, much better now ! heh
Old 11th March 2014
  #13
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldon2975 View Post
Frank ? Thanks for those tunes, but they did zero for me personally.
LOL!

Yeah, but your examples are classic rock. Give us something modern. That's what I'm getting at. I like old Rush and Boston as well as the next guy but the world has gone on. For example, one member of Boston is dead already. It's ancient history.
Old 11th March 2014
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case View Post
LOL!

Yeah, but your examples are classic rock. Give us something modern. That's what I'm getting at. I like old Rush and Boston as well as the next guy but the world has gone on. For example, one member of Boston is dead already. It's ancient history.
You're right, there's no argument. You stated the truth based on the facts.

But I've heard More Than A Feeling and Spirit Of The Radio well over 100 X each and I keep going back to them. It's definitely a sonic addiction. Maybe an affliction ? I just know I'm on cloud nine when listening to them and the natural high I get from it keeps me happy for hours. The other stuff is a chore and a bore for me personally.

(the last paragraph was opinion)
Old 11th March 2014
  #15
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldon2975 View Post
But I've heard More Than A Feeling and Spirit Of The Radio well over 100 X each and I keep going back to them. It's definitely a sonic addiction. Maybe an affliction ? I just know I'm on cloud nine when listening to them and the natural high I get from it keeps me happy for hours. The other stuff is a chore and a bore for me personally.
Yeah, I've heard those songs many times before, but I have a hard time listening again unless I'm in an oldies mood. For example, Lou Reed died a few months ago, so I spent a few hours listening to old Velvet Underground tunes on YouTube. After that it got real old again.

My mind needs new fresh music. Even if it's from generations going way back before I was around. I don't zero in on one single generation's music. I'm happy to see a new generation making new music.
Old 11th March 2014
  #16
Lives for gear
 

I think he's right on the money...

Old 11th March 2014
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case View Post
My mind needs new fresh music.
Same with mine, that's why I always listen to any new music suggestions given to me.

Like a fool, I get my hopes up, thinking they'll match the old school standard of melodic thematic variations weaving in and out of creatively structured sections (with some intentionally crafted & surprising discrepancies between the sections), and then comes the crashing disappointment for me (and many others, I'm sure).

I just don't think the compositional skills and imagination are what they were, almost like we're in some type of 21st century songwriting abyss when it comes to skill, craft, originality, melody and overall depth.
Old 11th March 2014
  #18
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by creegstor View Post
I think he's right on the money...

Yeah, the contrived, mechanical stacking of parts, without the imperfect human element of an inspired and volatile creative process.

The rock of the past was metalogical. Full of rough edges, full of humanity and spirit.
Old 11th March 2014
  #19
Deleted User
Guest
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldon2975 View Post
Like a fool, I get my hopes up, thinking they'll match the old school standard of melodic thematic variations weaving in and out of creatively structured sections (with some intentionally crafted & surprising discrepancies between the sections), and then comes the crashing disappointment for me (and many others, I'm sure).

I just don't think the compositional skills and imagination are what they were, almost like we're in some type of 21st century songwriting abyss when it comes to skill, craft, originality, melody and overall depth.
Are you sure it's not because that phase of music coincided with some of the best times in your life. Classical conditioning. Pavlov's dog. That kind of thing? You hear an old song and the old good feelings come back from another space and time.
Old 11th March 2014
  #20
Lives for gear
Rock music has had its time as the relevant channel of youth expression. It no longer is the pulse of youthful rebellion.
Most new rock bands I see (I see a lot), are pushing the audience to the back of the room, rather than drawing them to towards the stage.
Too many rock bands are just indulging in their own wank fantasy without any regard for their audience. It was always the case, but now that rock is not the cool social currency that it once was, it has to try harder
Old 11th March 2014
  #21
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case View Post
Are you sure it's not because that phase of music coincided with some of the best times in your life. Classical conditioning. Pavlov's dog. That kind of thing?
I'm sure I like those two songs now more than ever and it's actually due to the specific content that could be transcribed in sheet music form : the drums, bass, guitars, vocals, everything. It's really about the specifically composed, intricately woven, interactive notes of the song.

It's simply because it's "classic" rock (as you stated earlier), the classic element really does have "Beethoven-esque" melodic thematic variations weaving in and out of creatively structured sections with some intentionally crafted & surprising -discrepancies- between the sections.

If you were to map out a compositional timeline of "More Than A Feeling", you would see how rapidly it moves from one section to another (like every 20 seconds), with very pronounced differences. Yet, it still maintains a very well integrated theme throughout.

I realize that rock in 2014 doesn't have to do that, and modern rock listeners don't have to crave that more compositionally sophisticated approach.
Old 11th March 2014
  #22
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbrowne View Post
Rock music has had its time as the relevant channel of youth expression. It no longer is the pulse of youthful rebellion.
Most new rock bands I see (I see a lot), are pushing the audience to the back of the room, rather than drawing them to towards the stage.
Too many rock bands are just indulging in their own wank fantasy without any regard for their audience. It was always the case, but now that rock is not the cool social currency that it once was, it has to try harder
+1.
Old 11th March 2014
  #23
Lives for gear
 
dan p's Avatar
 

Everyone is right really.
What none of you realize is that its all relevant.This is where all of music has evolved to.Remember its sold by the big record companies,and made for the reason of self expression by artists and musicians.
There are so many genres,what is old is new again and can be sold that way with enough money behind it.
I have some rocker friends who were way successful in the eighties and play
the fair circuit to great financial advantage.
They play rock to 70's folks still wearing bell bottoms and long hair.
Its rural America for you.
You just don't hear about it in your town.
They think Jay Z are just letters in the alphabet......
Old 11th March 2014
  #24
Lives for gear
 
WinnyP's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldon2975 View Post
To save us the needle in the haystack search, could you give us starving rock fans some listening suggestions ?
Random list of non predictable kinda recent stuff:

Yeah yeah yeahs - is, is
mewithoutYou - brother, sister
Blitzen trapper - sleepytime in the western world
Them crooked vultures
Eels - hombre loco
The national - high violet (stretches "rock" label but outstanding)
Old 11th March 2014
  #25
Gear Maniac
 
rockgod1968's Avatar
 

Rock is still out there, unfortunately if a major label signs a rock band they wanna make sure it sells so they play it safe, make it as commercial as they can and force it on us 50 times a day on the radio. I cant listen to the radio anymore, we are just bombarded with what they want us to listen to, not what is really out there.
Old 11th March 2014
  #26
Lives for gear
 
jinksdingo's Avatar
Love Rock in all its forms.
Will it continue for all time! Hell Yeah!
Old 11th March 2014
  #27
Lives for gear
 
Carnalia Barcus's Avatar
 

Among at least a segment of younger generations, there has been a backlash in the vein of establishing one's own identity contra older generations, maybe with a bit of Bloom's "Anxiety of Influence" in it in this case, and it's also partly in rebellion directed at baby boomers who have the reins of much of the media and who just won't stop talking about (or creating radio formats that only play) The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, The Who, etc. . . . and of course The Beatles.

I think that's understandable, even if I don't agree with the opinions . . . though of course I'm a baby boomer. But it's kinda like if you were born in the 50s or 60s, imagine that during the 70s, people born in the 20s and 30s had control of most of the media, and imagine that the media was all-pervasive in the 70s (imagine the Internet, mobile devices, etc. being around then), and imagine that popular culture magazines, TV shows, websites, etc. just wouldn't shut up about Louis Armstrong, Bix Biederbecke, Benny Goodman and Al Bowlly, to the almost complete neglect of artists like The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, etc. Also imagine that there was a popular radio format, found on multiple stations in most markets in the 1970s, that only played Armstrong, etc. You'd probably rebel against that, too, even if under different circumstances, you'd maybe embrace those older artists.

It's basically another example of the fact that hyping something too much easily backfires.
Old 11th March 2014
  #28
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winny Pooh View Post
Random list of non predictable kinda recent stuff:

Yeah yeah yeahs - is, is
mewithoutYou - brother, sister
Blitzen trapper - sleepytime in the western world
Them crooked vultures
Eels - hombre loco
The national - high violet (stretches "rock" label but outstanding)
Thanks for that, and people (you, Frank C. and all others) please keep putting out modern rock listening suggestions for ALL of the LURKERS out there. It's not about me. I want all GS readers/users out there to get some joy and stimulation out of something new.

If I can't enjoy the new forms of rock, it's my own fault because I have chosen to highly value songs which have a magically dynamic transitional surprise factor around every corner as compositional prerequisites for enjoyment.

I fully realize Rock has to move on, towards the future, whatever that means (including distancing itself from the traditional classic rock songwriting style).
Old 11th March 2014
  #29
Gear Head
 
HSA7's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbrowne View Post
Rock music has had its time as the relevant channel of youth expression. It no longer is the pulse of youthful rebellion.
What about the generations that grew up with rock when, while it was important, it wasn't an expression of youthful rebellion? For many years, parents and their children have listened to the same rock music. For these generations, despite all their listening options, they simply preferred rock.

Maybe lines started being drawn when the masses only listened to either rock or rap. I remember watching MTV Spring Break and noticing that the largest crowds were present for rap acts and (mostly) female pop dance artists, while we (watching tv) were still listening to rock. I felt the disconnect, even though I was the same age as the kids in Daytona. I remember questioning my coolness.

Maybe what I was feeling at that time was the beginning of the modern youthful rebellion. Regardless how "good" the rock music was at the time, rap (and hip hop) were clearly not liked by our parents. The MTV Spring Break rebellion had teeth. The tv coverage was certainly influential. If you liked rock, you were the enemy to your MTV watching peers. MTV soon became mostly rap, hip hop and dance. Radio consolidated, and the music business melted down. Maybe we've never recovered from that polarizing period.
Old 11th March 2014
  #30
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSA7 View Post
What about the generations that grew up with rock when, while it was important, it wasn't an expression of youthful rebellion? For many years, parents and their children have listened to the same rock music. For these generations, despite all their listening options, they simply preferred rock.

I'm not sure there was ever a time when parents and children listened to the same rock though. My teenage rock (metallica, nirvana, alice in chains, etc) was certainly noise to my parents, even though they were rock fans (beatles, fleetwood mac). We weren't exactly listening to the same thing, except when I listened to their music.

A lot of it has to to with technology and invention. So long as the guitar was the most technologically advanced electronic instrument offering the widest variety of sounds and tones, it was the primary choice of creatives. Every generation of rock sonically separated itself from the last.

Once the synth and sampler became affordable, offering a near infinite palate of sonic textures (at the same time nearly every possible guitar tone had been explored), it was a matter of time before they took over the guitar as the primary tool of the sonically creative.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump