The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does Alcohol or Weed Make You More Creative? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 9th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Does Alcohol or Weed Make You More Creative?

Just wanted to know how others feel about alcohol and weed during the creative process.

Personally, alcohol does me no good. I end up asleep, or can't be bothered to do anything. It drains me of my creativity. Weed on the other hand, once I get past the peak high, and I settle at a more relaxing high, I am able to achieve a lot of what I couldn't when sober.

I obsess over minor details when sober. Which eats into creativity and halts the entire process. But when I smoke a joint, I don't even worry about the minor details. I can usually lay out a track in one session, then go back to turn it into a 1st draft.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

Personally, I never touch them except MAYBE one beer before doing vocals, and even then almost never. Save them for later.
Old 9th March 2014
Lives for gear

If you want something useful - neither
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

I wouldn't claim that it makes me more creative, but sometimes it's just fun to do a bowl and bang on a guitar. I wouldn't recommend it as a daily indulgence.
L.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

I have to be sober, loaded up on coffee, chocolate, exercise and adrenaline.

But then I realize that Willie Nelson, Snoop Dogg, Bob Dylan, Mick Jagger and Paul McCartney have had entirely different experiences.

To each his own.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

They probably also had other non-wasted people around them.

I would say that working with wasted/drunk people is one of my least favourite things in the world to do.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

They make you think you are being more creative.
Creativity takes self-discipline. Get a clue.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Having a beer on the side while working is ok but it isn't about the alcohol in that case. I find a few too many beers and I get unmotivated and trail off even if im not tipsy or drunk.
I have virtually stopped smoking weed during the creative process, it has been a complete detriment to getting anything done. Especially when you open up that "awesome thing" you where working on last night and realize what a disorganized disaster it was all along.

Coffee on the other hand has been great.
In fact I bought a brand of coffee that I had not enjoyed in a while and the flavour itself reminded me of the last track I worked on when I had bought it last.

Last edited by Ortikon; 10th March 2014 at 03:03 AM.. Reason: cant forget coffeeee
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

While I dont smoke weed anymore I tend to mix while having a few drinks, because sober I tend to be over analytical and worry about not using pro tools and not worry about creating a great mix
Old 10th March 2014
Drugs and alcohol are horrible when it comes to creativity.
Old 10th March 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by eldon2975 View Post
I have to be sober, loaded up on coffee, chocolate, exercise and adrenaline.
Yeah Chocolate! Especially the 85% Cacao variety. My current drug of choice.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Coffee + sugar is a great way to boost your attention and concentration for about an hour. Really helpful when you need it. But only works once a day!
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

I must be the only one that actually does something productive whilst smoking weed judging by the above responses. As noted before though I do have Aspergers, which is a major limitation to a lot of things in life for me.

I've laid down at least one track a day in the past 7 days. They're just ideas at the moment, but when I listen back sober they sound excellent.

It's either the weed, or the music theory I've been learning recently. But, I didn't smoke last night, and I didn't have any motivation to work on anything.

Aspergers is really limiting because you get over analytical on everything you do. My creativity whilst sober is in very short bursts, but whilst smoking it seems to continue for hours. I just let go, and do what sounds good.

For me it's a positive thing.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Nut

It is not uncommon for me to stay within a reasonable alcohol intake limit while at my piano or with a pen and paper; weed on the other hand is really one of those tricky devices for me. As with most above, we all want to be more "creative" on substances; almost like we fantasize about it being this magic potion/silver bullet that will allow us to dive deep into our senses and apply our creativity at its max.

Someone said above that creativity takes self-discipline: agreed. It really does (in my opinion, too). What I recommend, is that if you want to smoke weed and still make your music, treat it as some sort of reward for recording takes. For example: if you're a guitar player and you're recording a solo, go ahead and do 10 takes of the same solo then go get stoned and listen back across your monitors/headphones or whatever. Enjoy the listening experience that way; your senses may be heightened and your perspective can be helpful.

Old 10th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GV1 View Post
I must be the only one that actually does something productive whilst smoking weed judging by the above responses. As noted before though I do have Aspergers, which is a major limitation to a lot of things in life for me.

I've laid down at least one track a day in the past 7 days. They're just ideas at the moment, but when I listen back sober they sound excellent.

It's either the weed, or the music theory I've been learning recently. But, I didn't smoke last night, and I didn't have any motivation to work on anything.

Aspergers is really limiting because you get over analytical on everything you do. My creativity whilst sober is in very short bursts, but whilst smoking it seems to continue for hours. I just let go, and do what sounds good.

For me it's a positive thing.
No it's not just you. Weed can create a funnel reality where nothing but the sound exists, which can work out great. Basically open the door wise to the ether, where the good stuff comes in from (because the good stuff doesn't come from you or your head). If your weed is friendly, not the new nuke variety. But even then it gives you a sweet spot of a certain time until you wear out and loose focus.

These days I get the same funnel going sober, which loses the side effects, and I still get the door wide open to let the good stuff in. But sometimes it's still fun to 'go there'. Mainly with recording fingerpicked guitar for some reason. The groove that occurs then is one I can't replicate sober. All other tasks have been replicated or bettered sober since.

Alcohol has never been anything but detrimental in the studio. Makes you deaf and slow.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
No it's not just you. Weed can create a funnel reality where nothing but the sound exists, which can work out great. Basically open the door wise to the ether, where the good stuff comes in from (because the good stuff doesn't come from you or your head). If your weed is friendly, not the new nuke variety. But even then it gives you a sweet spot of a certain time until you wear out and loose focus.

These days I get the same funnel going sober, which loses the side effects, and I still get the door wide open to let the good stuff in. But sometimes it's still fun to 'go there'. Mainly with recording fingerpicked guitar for some reason. The groove that occurs then is one I can't replicate sober. All other tasks have been replicated or bettered sober since.

Alcohol has never been anything but detrimental in the studio. Makes you deaf and slow.
Out of interest how was you finally able to achieve the the same funnel while sober? Did it just come natural over time? I've struggled with that for many many years.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triscuit View Post
It is not uncommon for me to stay within a reasonable alcohol intake limit while at my piano or with a pen and paper; weed on the other hand is really one of those tricky devices for me. As with most above, we all want to be more "creative" on substances; almost like we fantasize about it being this magic potion/silver bullet that will allow us to dive deep into our senses and apply our creativity at its max.

Someone said above that creativity takes self-discipline: agreed. It really does (in my opinion, too). What I recommend, is that if you want to smoke weed and still make your music, treat it as some sort of reward for recording takes. For example: if you're a guitar player and you're recording a solo, go ahead and do 10 takes of the same solo then go get stoned and listen back across your monitors/headphones or whatever. Enjoy the listening experience that way; your senses may be heightened and your perspective can be helpful.

Very interesting. I may give that a shot. Well this week I'm super busy with work, so I only get a few hours a night but might give it a shot tonight and see how I get on and then have a smoke before bed as a reward.

I'd love to find that sweet spot whilst sober!
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GV1 View Post
Out of interest how was you finally able to achieve the the same funnel while sober? Did it just come natural over time? I've struggled with that for many many years.
I ended up being forced by my body to give up all smoking when my lung spontaneously collapsed. The fear of getting to enjoy even more of the medieval torture that is getting chest drains is a rather effective motivation source to instantly give up. And I had 5 chest drains in 4 weeks as they fecked about, getting it wrong before cutting me open and finally getting it sorted. NOT going back there.

Now I 'sin' very occasionally with a loaded tea or even a very quick blast on a pipe, but it is very rare. It turns out the funnel isn't entirely dependent on pot after all, on the contrary, it lasts longer hours this way. You just have to make a space in your mind to let all other stuff slip for the hours you plan to get 'in the bubble' and the music does the rest.
Old 10th March 2014
Here for the gear

Alcohol or weed makes me a lot less creative. The abuse of these substances are a big charge on the public health system. So, tax go up. I have to work more in my everyday job to pay tax, and have less time to create. So, no, I would prefer there was no abuse of alcohol or weed.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Drugs and alcohol
Nice tautology.

Alistair
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
They make you think you are being more creative.
Creativity takes self-discipline. Get a clue.
Get a clue? Sobriety sure doesnt make you nice does it?
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

I don't know if I'd say "more creative", but various altered states of mind have been useful to me simply for the different perspectives they provide. And to an extent, some of those different perspectives can be tapped into without the aid of substances once you've experienced them a few times.

That's up to each person, though. Some folks might be not able to get much work done on some substances, and if you don't know that you can control substances well, I'd advise against experimenting with any of the more addictive choices.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

I think it depends entirely who you are. Horses for courses. It always amazes and pisses me off a bit when these kind of questions arise on GS and so many straight laced straight edge boring farts roll out and say idiotic things and slam creative use of anything that might get the artist(s) high. Well, being stone cold sober and straight as an arrow CAN be one way to create, and smoking a hit or two of the green can be another way, a few beers (not a full bottle of spirits, thats not going to help anyone) can be a useful bolster or boost on a rock 'n' roll session, and so on and so forth.

I'm reminded once again of Bill Hick's great routine about 'all those great records' being made by musicians 'real f***in high on drugs'.

Take your pick people: Val Doonican or The Beatles, The Church of the Christ Vocal Choir or Jimi Hendrix, Rick Astley or The Rolling Stones, Milli Vanilli or Miles Davis..............

Nuff said!
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Guru

You sure Rick Astley was sober?
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
You sure Rick Astley was sober?
Yeah, without having any particular info about him, I wouldn't count on that given the era/scene he came out of, haha.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Addict

You guys have to try Yerba Mate. It's the argentinian tea you would say... nothing better to stay active and alert, no side effects. It's just a good companion.

If you need drugs to embrace your inner creative little guy, you have a psychological barrier that's being lifted with drugs. You should definitely take a look at that.
Personally, I only have to pay attention to my creative channel, because it can open at any time, but that is by myself, where I own my time.
On the other hand, when you're in a creative process with a band, they do wonders to get everybody in the mood. It's very difficult to have a band where every member is ready for a creative session at a specific time.
Old 10th March 2014
nobody should need or start taking drugs in order to be creative. and on a case by case basis, I'm sure that individuals can truthfully claim that drugs make them less creative and lazy.

but it's entirely ridiculous to claim that in the history of pop music making, filmmaking, writing, painting, etc. that drugs and alcohol made people less creative. Sure it was destructive and cut many lives short and cost a lot of money and ruined families and relationships and broke bands up - but get real. Some of the greatest material ever recorded was done under the influence. It's not even worth pointing out the obvious and numerous examples.
Old 10th March 2014
I think there is a problem with generalizing this issue: different types of alcohol, cannabis, stimulants, psychedelics, etc. will have differing effects on different partakers. The same is true of the weather/time of day/location/social grouping...set and setting. Perhaps a different creative approach will happen depending on whether one has eaten a heavy meal or a light salad; carbohydrates or proteins.

What is known is that shamans have been taking hallucinogenic substances and creating music for millennia...are post-modern humans really any different?

My own experience is that novelty - a new instrument, a new setting, a new inspiration, a new perspective - can be more inspiring than any substance itself.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
If you want something useful - neither
Agreed. And I've seen guys start to "NEED" it after awhile too. Then they are musically useless all around at that point.
Old 10th March 2014
I`v worked with someone who believed they needed weed to record.

But I think it was placebo effect. (which means it actually works)

But not very productive. You are too reliant on maintaining the high, then the more you maintain, the less productive you get.

Luckily , this was a VERY gifted person, so performances were good.

On the less gifted, not a good idea.

I , myself never do drugs. .....well coffee ! but only one cup.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search