The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does Alcohol or Weed Make You More Creative? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 27th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by claend View Post
I sure have cried for a longer period of time!

HAhahaaa
Smoke a bunch of weed, record a metalcore band, solo the vocals, bypass plugins/hardware. Good laughs all around guaranteed. Coooookie monster.
Old 27th March 2014
friedbeans
I only smoke weed in the studio, and just a little at a time. it defintely helps take the edge off and gets me thinking.
Old 27th March 2014
Tried all of it.

Sobriety and or modesty won out. A few beers is fine, anything over that and nothing useful happened.
Old 27th March 2014
Well I just recently had my first session with a rapper who was high...lets just say it was very annoying. He wanted to one take all of his verses because he felt as though being punched in took away from the quality of his verses. Didn't really understand that we were trying to help him by telling him to punch in on the parts that he wanted to re-do for performance and time sake.

...I'm still waiting on that perfect one take verse almost a week later....lol.
Old 27th March 2014
Gear Addict

I have a bias against using alcohol or drugs during the creative process or performances. I used to think a little champagne would make my vocal chords loosen up prior to recording in the studio. But after studying with a pro vocal coach, I realized all I had to do was some daily vocal workouts. An amazing drummer I extensively worked with, past away last year after hitting it hard one night and didn’t wake up the next day. I don’t know what he had that night but there had to be some alcohol or drugs involved. Whoever wants a lifetime career in this industry should think of the following:

1) If I’m an audio engineer mixing live could my hearing be off if I just have a few drinks? Is there any equipment risk if I’m not totally sober?
2) If I’m a drummer or bass player, do I honestly think my timing will even be close to correct with a few drinks?
3) If there happens to be an A/R person in the audience am I playing up to my full potential that night?
4) If I’m a signed artist in the studio, how much BS will a top paid producer or label put up with if I’m on XXX on a daily basis?
5) If you’re an actor it’s even worse. The day rate on a sound stage is big money. That’s the first thing a producer and director asks, “Are they on drugs?” There is a reason why certain actors and actresses don’t get work again. It has been painful for me, watching someone make it, become well known, then start to destroy their life and career by a chemical dependency.

Anybody ever think of how good Hendrix would have been later in life if he didn’t die that way?
Old 7th April 2014
Here for the gear
Whiskey and cigarettes put me in a different writing mood than I normally would be, sometimes good, sometimes derivative cowboy nonsense. Destroys my voice though. I once fell of the stage i was playing so drunk, which wasn't an ideal situation. Weed just makes me dumb. And I get distracted by little things that don't matter then fall asleep. So all in all, sober writing, recording, playing are better for me.
Old 7th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWayne View Post
Well I just recently had my first session with a rapper who was high...lets just say it was very annoying. He wanted to one take all of his verses because he felt as though being punched in took away from the quality of his verses. Didn't really understand that we were trying to help him by telling him to punch in on the parts that he wanted to re-do for performance and time sake.

i've dealth with this, the worst part is they think it's helping, then they stutter all over the place and ****.
Old 7th April 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicJesus View Post
They make you think you are being more creative.
Creativity takes self-discipline. Get a clue.
This
Old 7th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macky View Post
This
No, come on now.

Well yes to "creativity takes self-discipline."

But NO to the idea that self-discipline can't include a responsible adult gaining something by switching heads at certain points in the creative process.
Old 7th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
No, come on now.

Well yes to "creativity takes self-discipline."

But NO to the idea that self-discipline can't include a responsible adult gaining something by switching heads at certain points in the creative process.

Responsible*

One can never be called a responsible person if one is only 99% * Responsible
Old 8th April 2014
Here for the gear

i find a few beers with a xanex helps me relax enough to sing out of my (limited) range. Used to love smoking herb and playing with reverb but can say it didn't help me with writing or playing. no right or wrong answer here people.
Old 8th April 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss View Post
Responsible*

One can never be called a responsible person if one is only 99% * Responsible
I take it you know scores of humans that are wildly more than 99% responsible.
Old 8th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
I take it you know scores of humans that are wildly more than 99% responsible.
Regarding human beings, the tally is still being counted...

Well, concerning snowflakes, I believe Voltaire got it right.

"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible"

Herr Weiss
Old 9th April 2014
Gear Nut

Only coffie for me, gets tired wheb drinking :D
Old 10th April 2014
I stick to a few beers myself, but I can't deny that a lot of great albums of the past were made under the influence of a lot of drugs and alcohol...would they have happened had the artists been clean and sober...nobody knows.
Old 11th April 2014
Gear Maniac

To be fair, I think it depends on the person and how well they know their craft, their body, what prevents them from being creative.

If you have a person who timid and has no sense of self, they'll struggle trying to be who they think they should be in their music, because it's not a reflection of self. However if that person is in an altered state of reality where they don't care what anyone else thinks and they can only focus on the music that same person may excel beyond anyone's wildest expectation.

That's just one example off the top of my head why the response to the posed question isn't so black & white, like others are trying to make it seem.
-Clark
Old 11th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWayne View Post

exactly my point. If you NEED it to be creative...well, then you shouldn't be creating IMO
Old 11th April 2014
If you need to be sober to create, then you shouldn't be creating. Or something like that. Ganja is the greatest thing in the universe though, seriously.
Old 11th April 2014
Gear Nut

You have to find what works for you based on how your brain and nervous system normally works. It's all about getting into 'flow state' and homeostasis i.e. not too dopey, not too hyped up, not too anxious and not too complacent.

If you think you're not naturally creative you might just be lacking the relaxed state of mind to let ideas flow.

Good video:

Old 12th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by botany blues View Post
If you need to be sober to create, then you shouldn't be creating. Or something like that. Ganja is the greatest thing in the universe though, seriously.
GFTO out of here with that hippy bull****.

if you said angel dust is the greatest thing in the universe maybe i could go with it,
Old 12th April 2014
zLw
Gear Head
one good acid trip can make your ideas flow for couple of months

but you will have to work hard being sober and totally focused later on

weed and alcohol - nah
Old 12th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zLw View Post
one good acid trip can make your ideas flow for couple of months

but you will have to work hard being sober and totally focused later on

weed and alcohol - nah
ya on weed and alcohol i can't make anything.
Old 14th April 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kupiti View Post
You have to find what works for you based on how your brain and nervous system normally works. It's all about getting into 'flow state' and homeostasis i.e. not too dopey, not too hyped up, not too anxious and not too complacent.

If you think you're not naturally creative you might just be lacking the relaxed state of mind to let ideas flow.

Good video:

Thanks for sharing. That was one of the best videos I've seen.
-Clark
Old 14th April 2014
Lives for gear

I smoked some and just recorded a mono track of me playing guitar for 20 or so minutes. At the time I thought I was coming up with amazing riffs and great songs ideas.

When I listened to it the next day, with a clear head......It was terrible. A complete abortion. LOL
Old 15th April 2014
I used to have late night sessions under said influences, but it wasn't 'for creativity.' It was just because (feels good man). I created some nifty off the wall stuff that I still enjoy to this day. Would I say it was the result of the influences? No, it was more so the fact I was writing music all of the time more so, however, the altered state of mind was 'an influence.' Sometimes the influence would sing to me, and that made the workflow exciting, but happens just as much sober, too. It just doesn't feel as 'significant' sober.

Fast forward years later when I have little to no time to write music, have an occasional 'influence' session, and find I'm writing nothing but complete unadulterated crap, so saying your creativity comes from drugs is shorthand for I don't have confidence in what I do, or I'm an addict. A great analogy is that lets imagine you like fries, and then someone introduces you to chili and cheese on fries and you think it's the best thing in the world. So every time you want fries, you want it with said topping. Eventually it gets to the point where it's ludicrous to you to have fries without said topping. I believe that's a similar mindset to 'I can't be creative without drugs.' Did you forget how much you enjoyed music before drugs? Problem is eating chili cheese fries will eventually bog you down and sap the life out of you much quicker (not always the case, but usually) and you get burnt out.

I've long since given up that lifestyle minus some beer here and there, and I've actually written one of my best songs under a different influence - neuroprogrammer brainwave generator (around the time I was a bit more active with my music - I'm getting back there again recently).
Old 17th April 2014
Here for the gear

Indulgence is fine with me but it should NEVER be even remotely considered as a cover for talent. However, I know some fine professionals that have never entered stage or studio sober. It can reduce studio tracking dis-ease, pointless inhibitions, and overall performance anxiety. If you suck at the gig due to excessive consumption, you won't get a second gig there. If you suck in the studio due to excess, just remember: "you paid for it" or the band did, and they WILL settle up... eventually! You can run but you can't hide!
Old 21st April 2014
I would say, this depends on the person, and at what stage & age you're at.

Mostly I'd say that people high or drunk are pretty sloppy for the most part, but being a little 'buzzed' may make to get into the music a little more without being too sloppy.

When I was a teenager, I used to smoke one hit, drink 1 beer, and then drink 1 cup of coffee and could play and play and really get into it...whe it started to wear off and make me sleepy, I'd do it again until I finally burned out.

I'm 53 now and the only thing I'll have when I'm recording anything is maybe a beer or cup of coffee. I'm over the pot thing at this stage, makes me weird out, though I was a big pot head in high school...over the years I smoked less and less and less. So now if I was to smoke pot, I surely couldn't play.
Old 21st April 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post

What is known is that shamans have been taking hallucinogenic substances and creating music for millennia...are post-modern humans really any different?
have you heard the music they made? I guess I dont want to sound as them. beside that they didnt make creative music, it was ritual music. so the musical content was given in a narrow range and they filled it improvisational, not to reach a musical goal. they made a live-soundtrack to their ritual. its a completely diffenrent thing.

and it is also known that Beethoven didnt smoke weed ...
Old 21st April 2014
Gear Head

Yeah, agreed. Alcohol does nothing for me besides inhibit my creative potential but what the heck do I know.

As for weed. I'm the opposite. I work best in the peak high and become distracted when I settle down in the more relaxing high. If I did smoke weed, the key would be to smoke enough to stay in the peak zone bc that's where I think I would be the most creative

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search