The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does Alcohol or Weed Make You More Creative? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

I did a song last night totally stoned and drunk.
I used my analog synth and a delay, lik

I mean its like a **** storm of electrons,

But the real thing is how much less music or songs I do make now.
Im always drunk and it sucks life force, that and working/life/stress...

Most times I cant even get a track started lack of creativity.

I cant really learn or understand side chaining!
What huh? ok im drunk, have $5000 of guitars and they are not in tune. Some I buy and hang on the wall like art and there $500+ guitar effects never pluged in.
Once I got something on ebay and forgot to even plug it in, when I got around I found out it was DOA!

If your to baked to tune a guitar its out of control!
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

Bro, get some help. There is a great life outside of addiction. You just need to make the move. Believe it can happen for you.
Old 18th March 2014
Lives for gear

hours of confusion to "find" the sweet spot, no thanks.
Old 20th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by gear is cool View Post
hours of confusion to "find" the sweet spot, no thanks.
Haha and everywhere seems to be the sweet spot.
Old 20th March 2014
Gear Head

From personal experience, alcohol doesn't make me more creative, unless you count frolicking around the living room playing with my dog and making stupid noises creative (on second thought...)

Weed is a wild card. Sometimes I make really sick stuff while high, other times it's a total bust. Seems to depend on a ton of factors including the strain of weed, my mood, recent events in my life and situation, etc. The times where I'm in the zone, the creative flow doesn't last forever (technically it's an 'artificial muse'), so many times I end up trying too hard to make use of my limited time and cram everything within that narrow time frame, which usually goes nowhere. Still, there have been times where I ended up making something really awesome that I would probably have never made while sober. I think it has a lot to do with mindset.
Old 20th March 2014
Gear Addict
Which kind of alcohol?

CH3(OH) No, I have never drank it that will make you blind!!!
C2H5(OH) No, That makes me drunk and stupid and I can't write anything
C3H7(OH) Not only no, but Hell NO, That will very quickly kill your liver and kidneys!!! So I have never drank that one either!!!

as for weed it does nothing
Old 20th March 2014
Lives for gear

when i'm making music drugs are horrible for my creativity.

when laying down vocals i get drunk, smoke, sniff a lil something, pop a pill or two, get ****ed up, because i don't like being at all inhibited in the booth.
Old 22nd March 2014
Lives for gear

Any one remember cobain not able to play guitar?
Ok ok he was on heavy duty drugsd.

sorry druggzes,.

I meen druugs or Dreggues...
Old 22nd March 2014
Gear Addict

I may have a small glass of wine, every now and then, but that's to help me shut the creativity down.

Like if it's 7 a.m. and I've been up all night humming and working on a melody or lyrics, and though I'm physically exhausted, I keep going strong because my mind is pushing me past the point of good ROI time-wise, then wine makes my mind fuzzy, and I finally go to sleep.

When I am deep in the creative process I need full focus ON mode, feel me? No alcohol and definitely NO drugs. That's how I am, but I've heard a lot of musicians say they can't create anything without being high. Personally, my music is so important to me that I HAVE to be in the right mind and give it the respect it deserves. But hey, what works for me isn't everybody's cup of tea. LOL

And uh, drugs scare me. Whenever people light up in the studio, I make a fast exit. Not a prude, but it's not my thing is all.
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Head

From a purely artistic standpoint, hard alcohol is a prime ingredient for me, unfortunately.
But my thought is I don't think it matters really. Art is beyond being controlled or understood, and if it ever becomes controlled and understood, it is not interesting anymore.
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Drugs and alcohol are horrible when it comes to creativity.
How would you explain the fact that music from the 60' 70's is still so popular? Many of the great artists from that period were heavy drug users. Granted, it wasn't the healthiest way to live, but you cannot deny the creativity that resulted from the drug use.
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxman12 View Post
Bro, get some help. There is a great life outside of addiction. You just need to make the move. Believe it can happen for you.
Everybody's addicted to something.
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Maniac

It's really hard to pinpoint a direct connection between recreational substances and creativity. Just because some great music came out of the 60's and 70's doesn't necessarily mean it was great because there were drugs and/or alcohol involved.

Personally I never touch the stuff.

Of course there are those who might argue that I'm a boring old fart ...
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

My experience with drugs, both "soft" (let's not debate this now) and harder drugs, is that at first it does help me be creative and shut out a lot of worries and everyday neuroses. But after a while of using it (let's say 6 months, and not daily by any means) I just start eating junk food and watch cartoons instead of creating anything. So in the long run it's just destructive in every way (to me).
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hierofonix View Post
Personally I never touch the stuff.

Of course there are those who might argue that I'm a boring old fart ...
I did quite some substances in my tender youth but ended up as a boring old fart anyway!

For me, the best points in this thread were
a) it depends on the person, situation, phase of the moon, etc. (a bit like with expensive gear, it is not automatically "take drug A, detune oscs = success")

b) don't let it become "normal" (that applies to so many cool things in live, even SEX; the easiest way for the human mind to make something "normal" is to repeat and repeat and repeat it every day...)
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sotsirc View Post
My experience with drugs, both "soft" (let's not debate this now) and harder drugs, is that at first it does help me be creative and shut out a lot of worries and everyday neuroses. But after a while of using it (let's say 6 months, and not daily by any means) I just start eating junk food and watch cartoons instead of creating anything. So in the long run it's just destructive in every way (to me).
I get visions of the tv/poop chair with a sucking straw for Brawndo built in from Idiocracy.......
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Addict

....the dose makes the poison....always.....everywhere....

alcohol is the most dangerous drug of all.....

you can make good music on a certain amount of weed and/or alcohol....aslong you don't need that anytime you make music it really can open up for you....

but you definitly can't finish things and mix if you're not pretty sober...

one or two lonely nights in your studio on lsd once or twice a year can be a good thing for a recording artist....

cocaine ego powder only leads to music that sounds like ego powder....which is pretty boring....and the worst trap you can end up...

xtc is not leading to euphoric music, but depressive.....in the end....as all designerdrugs do....

speed can save a deadline....

all music sounds weird on ketamin.....

all music sounds warm on opium.....

you can sing beyond all pain with heroin....but not for long....

drugs can be a tool, if you know how to handle it.....

if not.....you're ****ed.....
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmuck View Post
I did quite some substances in my tender youth but ended up as a boring old fart anyway!
Yeah, same here. It's difficult to not wind up a boring old fart, I suppose, no matter what you do.
Old 23rd March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnalia Barcus View Post
Yeah, same here. It's difficult to not wind up a boring old fart, I suppose, no matter what you do.
What is it they say is the most exciting question once you reach 40? Isn't it "What's in the fridge?".
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
I get visions of the tv/poop chair with a sucking straw for Brawndo built in from Idiocracy.......
Uuuh, not far from the truth i guess. I'm as clean as a hypodermic needle these days, though.
Old 23rd March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alrod View Post
How would you explain the fact that music from the 60' 70's is still so popular? Many of the great artists from that period were heavy drug users. Granted, it wasn't the healthiest way to live, but you cannot deny the creativity that resulted from the drug use.
what i assume most of us are doing (producing full tracks) is much different than playing guitar, singing, etc. i play guitar and i can play well, even come up with some cool stuff, when i'm out of my mind on say acid or angel dust. whereas i can't produce well under said drugs because it requires my full brain to be functioning properly.
Old 23rd March 2014
I'll tell you one thing, it made me pretty ****ed up last night.
Old 25th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeloy View Post
....the dose makes the poison....always.....everywhere....

alcohol is the most dangerous drug of all.....

you can make good music on a certain amount of weed and/or alcohol....aslong you don't need that anytime you make music it really can open up for you....

but you definitly can't finish things and mix if you're not pretty sober...

one or two lonely nights in your studio on lsd once or twice a year can be a good thing for a recording artist....

cocaine ego powder only leads to music that sounds like ego powder....which is pretty boring....and the worst trap you can end up...

xtc is not leading to euphoric music, but depressive.....in the end....as all designerdrugs do....

speed can save a deadline....

all music sounds weird on ketamin.....

all music sounds warm on opium.....

you can sing beyond all pain with heroin....but not for long....

drugs can be a tool, if you know how to handle it.....

if not.....you're ****ed.....
Pardon me for asking, but like, is this personal experience? JK
Old 25th March 2014
Lives for gear

Drugs are there to experiment... If you will.

They obviously transpose your sensitivity, and therefor have an impact in any emotional related activity. The resoult will be indivisibly attatched to a thousand elements like you mood, personality, DNA, background, environment...

So it's a wild card, one that changes over time.. as you change along. I used to play, rehearse, compose, record and mix on every substance known to man besides Heroine and Cocaine. I wouldn't change those times for anything... (IMO/IME) We are here to briefly experiment the unique experience of "being".

Have fun, judge as little as possible and stay creative. You'll get closer to happiness!!

(damn.. so many boring farts around here... and there I go judging lol)
Old 26th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by claend View Post
We are here to briefly experiment the unique experience of "being".
Universal consciousness?
Old 26th March 2014
Drugs do help when writing and brainstorming but for all other times stick to coffee.

Weed makes everything too funny. Ever laugh at a vocal take for 10 minutes straight?
Old 26th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victorian Needle View Post
Universal consciousness?
You got it damn right.

(swallowing a mushroom)

HAhaaa
Old 26th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldon2975 View Post
To each his own.
Basically this. If you assume there is only one right way for everyone, well then you are....wrong.

There are great sober, drunk, stoned, musicians.
Old 26th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by auralart View Post
Weed makes everything too funny. Ever laugh at a vocal take for 10 minutes straight?
I sure have cried for a longer period of time!

HAhahaaa
Old 26th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by claend View Post
You got it damn right.

(swallowing a mushroom)

HAhaaa
Time to make the best of our illusions.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search