The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does Alcohol or Weed Make You More Creative? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
I don't want to start a dope debate but they are actually very different plants - indica and sativa strains of dope have over 400 psychoactive chemicals including thc - hemp is a different strain entirely and has none of those chemicals and is stringyer, blah blah.
I'm not debating anything about its medical uses as it's proven there are many many - I'm talking about dope not hemp.
And the war on drugs - 80% of people in jails in my country are there for drug related crimes - a sad sad joke.
Some slight misinformation. Yes, it is a different subspecies but still of the cannabis sativa family. Hemp still contains THC but in much, much smaller amounts and is offset by the high CBDs. Also there are over 400 chemicals in marijuana but not 400 psychoactive chemicals. Only around 60 are cannabinoids and even then 3 classes of cannabinoids are not psychoactive such as CBD. Kentucky just passed a bill to allow CBD oil for minors suffering from seizures.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Guru

I wonder if CBD oil could balance dodgy weed that has too much THC and too little CBD, like skunk. **** like that just makes you feel awful otherwise.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
I wonder if CBD oil could balance dodgy weed that has too much THC and too little CBD, like skunk. **** like that just makes you feel awful otherwise.
What is this too much THC you speak of?
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted314 View Post
What is this too much THC you speak of?
There is a balance of THC and CBD in stuff that makes people feel good and relaxed. On the other hand stuff with super high THC but lower CBD makes you paranoid and edgy. Like crap skunk crossbred for dumb kids who think putting a sledgehammer of THC over your skull is cool.

So since I had never heard of CBD oil before the idea struck me whether one could combine it with the dodgy stuff and make it better.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
There is a balance of THC and CBD in stuff that makes people feel good and relaxed. On the other hand stuff with super high THC but lower CBD makes you paranoid and edgy. Like crap skunk crossbred for dumb kids who think putting a sledgehammer of THC over your skull is cool.

So since I had never heard of CBD oil before the idea struck me whether one could combine it with the dodgy stuff and make it better.
Paranoia depends on the person more then the strain. Hash oil can have 70-80+ % THC which is more then 4x even really potent medical kush. Edible consumption seems to make more people edgy as they can have an incredibly strong effect!
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Maniac

I tend to avoid alcohol while I'm in the studio, because it makes me way too laid back..

From the other end I enjoe to drink a bit when I go out...

But sometimes when I make some cruical mixing decisions (and mixing decisions only) weed can be fine.. And I almoust never smoke outside of the studio..
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Nut

I usually smoke weed before starting to improvize, because it kinda breaks the usual walls and makes me feel a different way, which is good to let myself fully go. So, whether I improvize vocals on a guitar track, vocals alone or guitar alone, I usually put everything in place before smoking so that I can get straight to it right after. Weed makes everything more interesting, and thus gives you the feeling that your improvizing is good, which is really important in order to go on. Very often, when I improvize sober, I judge what I'm doing faster and harsher, which closes the door to ideas that could have existed.

On the other hand, if the objective is to work on a piece of song to make it sound better and to create the structure, weed doesn't help at all, and I would even say that it complicates the process. Bringing structure into a song is something that requires your judgement, which is undoubtly better when sober. I also noticed that I often wasted a lot of time on little details when working on a structure, being high. And most of the time, when I listened back to the product, it sounded like crap.

So, my opinion about it is that it can boost your creativity so you can get great ideas to work on, but clearly not your ability to transform a good idea into a good song. Maybe it's different from a person to another too!

Oh, and I tried alcohol a few times too, but it didn't help at all, it causes more harm than any good, at least as far as I'm concerned.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Paranoia depends on the person more then the strain. Hash oil can have 70-80+ % THC which is more then 4x even really potent medical kush. Edible consumption seems to make more people edgy as they can have an incredibly strong effect!
You say that, but do some research. It has a link to the balance of THC and CBD. Take the CBD out of there and the stuff will make everyone feel weird.
Old 14th March 2014
Here for the gear

I recorded my first song after a burst of creativity with grass and wine. It gave me confidence in my ideas and my mood and atmosphere of the cabin I was recording in really came out in the recording. I listened again in the morning and I didn't even cringe!
A lot of people say grass just holds you back and you can't get anything done, but it encourages me, puts my mind at ease and focuses me only on the music. Trying to run a session for other artists, however, takes a lot more organisation and I wouldn't smoke or drink then.
Drinking too much makes my ideas become silly and my playing sloppy!
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
You say that, but do some research. It has a link to the balance of THC and CBD. Take the CBD out of there and the stuff will make everyone feel weird.
Just an fyi, the research isn't there. We don't know.

But you're saying what experienced smokers feel and what is hypothesized (hence why many prefer sticking to flowers rather than oils/hash, edibles can have uneven absorption, etc.) that it's more than simply one compound, or even just THC and CBD. Hell, many suspect terpenes play a role in the feel good..
Old 14th March 2014
When I'm working on a serious project I need to be as sober as possible because I'm very analytical...I like to analyze the track, break it down, then build it back up to make the best possible product. I can usually start and finish a track in a couple of hours but it takes me about a week of tweaking and analyzing to get a product that I'm very satisfied with.

If I'm under the influence I'll usually make a lot of bad microscopic mistakes that make or break a track...however I do enjoy jamming after a couple of beers/drinks then listening back for some good laughs lol. I do feel more confident with taking creative risks while under the influence though.

Oh yeah, stay away from weed...it's not good for your brain. Lol.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWayne View Post
Oh yeah, stay away from alcohol...it's not good for your brain. Lol.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's never affected me or any regulars I know but I have seen "blue moon" smokers get paranoid. I believe a lot of it is self imposed. Anxiety is a powerful thing.

Hash oil can have 70-80% THC so far less CBD to THC then any flower strain available and many people are now strictly using essential oils instead of flowers for purity and pain relief capabilities.

I like a little of everything but I'm kinda over combustion and starting to strongly prefer vaporization.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

I haven't drank or smoked in many years. To me, I really like being sober and in control. When it comes to music, I won't work with musicians who are drinking or high, they get too "out of it" for me to deal with, mostly the drinking part. If they are drinking, they Think that it enhances their abilities, and in some cases it might, but in most cases they get sloppy, mouthy, lose concentration, and not much work gets done. The other side, weed, causes short term memory loss, so why would you want to learn pieces of music when you are going to forget half of it anyway.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Lol @ calling marijuana a drug.
I'm fine with calling it a drug, but I don't have an ethical problem with the idea of drug use. I'm fine calling alcohol, coffee, nicotine, sugar, etc. drugs, too.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Maniac

I used to like to sit down, smoke a joint and start writing music. As many others have said, In this state I felt less critical of myself and therefore more able to create. I never thought the weed was giving me ideas, just preventing me from shooting them down.
I prefer sativas but I get a bit of an 'edge' from them, which I would normally mellow out with 1-2 beers.

As I progressed through stonerdom, I eventually came to realize that a big aspect in successful music writing is having a solid working memory, the ability to hold a chord progression in my head while I play a melody on my guitar, to be able to envision that melody and change it in my head, etc.. weed often clouded up these abilities for me. I came to the conclusion that (in all aspects of life, not just music production) weed's benefits are mostly lost when you're smoking it daily.
I usually smoke a few times a month now and I find this usage pattern retains so many more positives from marijuana and few of the negatives (i.e. lethargy, lack of motivation, throat irritation, money loss, etc)
I mean, at a certain point, smoking everyday , several times a day, tolerance gets ramped up so high that I sometimes couldn't even tell I was high (here come all the 'ur not smoking the guud stuff dude' comments)

when im doing a mix, I sometimes smoke a spliff when the mix is about a third done, to get a fresh perspective, but I don't save the changes I make while high, because I find that weed totally throws off the accuracy of my hearing. I do like to have a few beers though.

Have also done hallucinogens on many occasions with little benefit for music making, these substances are best to take in the experience, not try to make music ON it.
Old 14th March 2014
Gear Nut

Interesting thread. While I definitely can enjoy a beer (or two, max) after work, I don't enjoy it in the studio at all. Can't really concentrate. A little weed OTOH can be a nice mood enhancer at times. I'm not talking stoned out, but just a one-hit helps me focus & really get into the creative process. Yeah, sometimes I'll find myself obsessing over some small detail for a while, but I catch myself and get back on track okay. I don't find it gets in the way, but I use it sparingly and not all the time. Sometimes it's the "right tool for the job".

Your mileage may vary.
Old 14th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timm_S View Post
While I definitely can enjoy a beer (or two, max) after work, I don't enjoy it in the studio at all.
I do not drink much otherwise, but I almost always have one or two shots before going onstage. I've always had a bit of stage fright, and that's never gone away, unfortunately. One or two shots takes the edge off my stage fright.
Old 14th March 2014
Deleted User
depends on what you are doing.

If you are doing a whole production/mixing thing than HELL NO. Being under the influence and trying to troubleshoot something will end your session immediately.

If you are just doing simple tracking/producing new ideas, then go for it.

Drugs and music go hand in hand let's not kid anybody here. Music and other forms of entertainment have embraced the use of substances.
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Guru

Funny, I see it completely differently. Tracking, no way, got to be fast and sharp to get the best catch in the net. Mixing, f*** yeah. Just make sure you're straight when you put it down, so beginning the mix into first evening stoned, then finish off straight next day, tucking it in a bit. Carving eq stoned very quickly on instinct is ace.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

I've worked with musicians who I later learned (by their own admission and finally seeing them do whatever) were always on something--including things like LSD--and I never could tell.

If you do some drugs all the time you acclimate to them, or build up some "resistance" to them, and how folks are on those substances just ends up being what you think of as normal behavior for those folks.
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnalia Barcus View Post
I've worked with musicians who I later learned (by their own admission and finally seeing them do whatever) were always on something--including things like LSD--and I never could tell.

If you do some drugs all the time you acclimate to them, or build up some "resistance" to them, and how folks are on those substances just ends up being what you think of as normal behavior for those folks.
....and what THEY think of as normal behaviour about themselves....... Until they stop.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
....and what THEY think of as normal behaviour about themselves....... Until they stop.
Yeah, it can definitely lead to behavioral changes when they stop . . . not always for the better. I'd specify a couple things there, but I don't want to make it too obvious who I'm talking about just in case someone who knows them happens to read this.
Old 15th March 2014
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drezz View Post
I think it depends entirely who you are. Horses for courses. It always amazes and pisses me off a bit when these kind of questions arise on GS and so many straight laced straight edge boring farts roll out and say idiotic things and slam creative use of anything that might get the artist(s) high. Well, being stone cold sober and straight as an arrow CAN be one way to create, and smoking a hit or two of the green can be another way, a few beers (not a full bottle of spirits, thats not going to help anyone) can be a useful bolster or boost on a rock 'n' roll session, and so on and so forth.

I'm reminded once again of Bill Hick's great routine about 'all those great records' being made by musicians 'real f***in high on drugs'.

Take your pick people: Val Doonican or The Beatles, The Church of the Christ Vocal Choir or Jimi Hendrix, Rick Astley or The Rolling Stones, Milli Vanilli or Miles Davis..............

Nuff said!
I think most of them had their ****/songs together for the most part before hand. I remember reading about the producer having to get john lennon out of the session because he was useless on drugs.
Old 15th March 2014
RTR
Lives for gear

Look at Jim morison, the damn organ player had to sing most times at their live shows, the guy was useless all fuc*ed up. I mean, if your banging out drums loops and stuff I dont see a problem.
Old 15th March 2014
RTR
Lives for gear

Quote:
I do not drink much otherwise, but I almost always have one or two shots before going onstage. I've always had a bit of stage fright, and that's never gone away, unfortunately. One or two shots takes the edge off my stage fright.
Same for me..I drink like 2 beers before going on because I am a nervous wreck still after 20 years. Then I regret it because I get tired and those breaks between sets can seem like forever when dealing with drunks and your sober.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
I think most of them had their ****/songs together for the most part before hand. I remember reading about the producer having to get john lennon out of the session because he was useless on drugs.
Well, some people I've worked with have been wiped out much of the time, but they're still brilliant musicians and songwriters (and other artists) who a lot of folks have more or less felt were geniuses--they're typically given a revered place for the relevant niches.

However, almost without fail, those folks were even more brilliant, even more of a genius the rare times that they were completely straight.

But I wouldn't say that at least experiencing altered states of consciousness at some point didn't help those folks become what they were even when they were straight.
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Well, some people I've worked with have been wiped out much of the time, but they're still brilliant musicians and songwriters (and other artists) who a lot of folks have more or less felt were geniuses--they're typically given a revered place for the relevant niches.

However, almost without fail, those folks were even more brilliant, even more of a genius the rare times that they were completely straight.

But I wouldn't say that at least experiencing altered states of consciousness at some point didn't help those folks become what they were even when they were straight.
As ever hard to put the causality the right way around in this. Is it that drugs do something towards the process or that people with innate talent for it lean towards being curious about, playing with or hiding inside drugs....bla bla bla...generally a bit of both me thinks. And all at a price of win some lose some.

Always baffles me how quick people are to make out that when two things have a connection, one thing 'clearly' causes the other.....says who? The two things may coexist for a completely different, third reason.
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Yeah I agree with all of that Karloff.
Old 16th March 2014
Surprised by how little talk there was about LSD. Look all around online and see the paintings and stuff from people on LSD and their paintings while sober. Huge creative difference.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search