The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Does Alcohol or Weed Make You More Creative? Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

I really like the different perspective that weed brings. Its as if you can hear your music as a new listener, even if you've been working on it for hours/days.

It extends my workday by a few hours to "switch heads" by smoking it when I start to get burned out and I get a lot more done than I would without it. I do it daily in the studio.

Alcohol not so much. I'm done within an hour or two of drinking, so its quite rare for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Stone View Post
I think there is a problem with generalizing this issue: different types of alcohol, cannabis, stimulants, psychedelics, etc. will have differing effects on different partakers.
This is true. Medical grade pure sativa is by far the most productive.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnalia Barcus View Post
I don't know if I'd say "more creative", but various altered states of mind have been useful to me simply for the different perspectives they provide. And to an extent, some of those different perspectives can be tapped into without the aid of substances once you've experienced them a few times.

That's up to each person, though. Some folks might be not able to get much work done on some substances, and if you don't know that you can control substances well, I'd advise against experimenting with any of the more addictive choices.
I watched so many talented people destroy themselves on the addictive drugs. My uncles are included - who are now dead. One of my uncles restored antique properties, and was driving top of the range sports cars in the early 90's. Heroin and crack turned all that upside down and he later died from drugs. So sad to watch.

I guess in a way their experience has put me off even sampling a drug beyond weed.

Although, I would indulge in a Mushroom if the mood is right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
I really like the different perspective that weed brings. Its as if you can hear your music as a new listener, even if you've been working on it for hours/days.

It extends my workday by a few hours to "switch heads" by smoking it when I start to get burned out and I get a lot more done than I would without it. I do it daily in the studio.

Alcohol not so much. I'm done within an hour or two of drinking, so its quite rare for me.

This is true. Medical grade pure sativa is by far the most productive.
Pure sativa is so hard to come by in the UK. I've had similar effects when using a vaporizer, but nothing comes close to a sativa.

Back to the topic though, I guess this is the wrong place to ask such questions. And it's clear that weed and alcohol are different to each person. Someone said that one should treat the root cause of the creative block if one needs to turn to weed to open the channel to creativity. Well, try doing that when you have a condition that actually limits your creativity and there is nothing you can do to fix it.

Doctors offered me Adderall. I refused point blank. But, because it's legal and prescribed by a doctor I guess that's the normal.
Old 10th March 2014
Deffinitely.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GV1 View Post
I watched so many talented people destroy themselves on the addictive drugs. My uncles are included - who are now dead. One of my uncles restored antique properties, and was driving top of the range sports cars in the early 90's. Heroin and crack turned all that upside down and he later died from drugs. So sad to watch.
Yeah, I've seen that happen, too, and with fellow musicians, some of them famous.

I experimented a lot because for whatever strange reason, I'm basically "completely immune" to substance addiction. Maybe it's because psychologically I like to be in control too much to get addicted. I don't know. I don't really do anything any longer (not that I'm against it in principle, though), but when I was experimenting, I tried just about everything there was, usually at least a few times.

Some things, like mushrooms, were extremely insightful, and that's one of the few things I wouldn't mind doing again. Some things, like trying crack, were completely lame in my opinion. I tried it twice--the second time because I figured there must have been something wrong the first time, it must not have been the "right stuff", and both times all it really seemed to do was give me a headache.

The vast majority of the time I experimented to see what it would be like to do music or visual art (I paint as a hobby) or writing (I write some fiction as a hobby too) in different states of consciousness, although for most of my hallucinogenic experiences, especially mushrooms, peyote, etc. I didn't want to stay inside for the bulk of the experience, though in those cases, I could at least slightly tap into those frames of mind later. To this day I can vividly recall experiences and perspectival insights and so on from that, and that proved to be useful.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderTow View Post
Nice tautology.

Alistair
Yeah this makes me so angry - alcohol and drugs eh? What's alcohol? It's a drug and a real powerful one too. It's killed half my family and I've suffered through addiction for large parts of my life - as has my brother, sister and father so it's in the family (and they're ones that didn't die from alcohol)
The differentiation makes the legal alcohol trade seem ok as it's state sponsored but I can tell you it's fing disaster for those with the wrong disposition.
I never smoke weed when doing anything useful but I do at times jam after a joint - and the laugh in the morning at the crap I made the night before!
Old 10th March 2014
Wow, there are a lot of dopers and addicts on this forum. Not sure what to make of it.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

From my experience, some people get a small but significant boost to their creative faculties when stoned, while others get no effect or even a reduction to said faculties.

I really think individual variations in the chemical reaction process are more important than any universal proclamation. The urge to trumpet hyper-simplistic sweeping generalizations and blanket statements tends to involve a total lack of nuanced distinction and accuracy.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
Wow, there are a lot of dopers and addicts on this forum. Not sure what to make of it.
jesus, are you from the 70's? you can smoke weed and not be a junkie I guess you know that?
Old 10th March 2014
They should sell my adrenaline levels, because I'm high all the time on 100% energy! Never done drugs, never will.
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Weed is nice for the very start of a project for me, when just playing around with sounds and finding the right emotional note to hit.
Very bad for arranging and editing though, need a clear head for that otherwise I get too distracted. Coffee works for that stuff
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
And so are 90% of the adult western world. Caffeine, tobacco, codeine - all drugs all legal - so you don't drink coffee or have a beer - ever?
Old 10th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GV1 View Post
I
Pure sativa is so hard to come by in the UK. I've had similar effects when using a vaporizer, but nothing comes close to a sativa.
Rough! I just walk to the store on the corner and choose from a selection. Matter of time till that's everywhere.
Old 10th March 2014
Gear Maniac

Hemingway said:
write drunk and edit sober...
something to think about
Old 11th March 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
And so are 90% of the adult western world. Caffeine, tobacco, codeine - all drugs all legal - so you don't drink coffee or have a beer - ever?
A sad world indeed. SMH.
Old 11th March 2014
goddamn dopers and gang bangers, all of you!

Last edited by kuene; 11th March 2014 at 01:06 PM.. Reason: added a winky face
Old 12th March 2014
Lives for gear

Alcohol does nothing for me. makes me tired a disinterested. Weed on the other hand WAS a big help. My best creative moments come from making mistakes. I stumble onto things i would have never thought of otherwise....being able to remember it? well thats another thread. Thank god for the DAW i guess.

I can see how weed can be both a help and a hindrance in making music, but as far as the creative aspect goes, its a help IMO once you have harnessed it.

The biggest band of all time were heavily medicated. ALL of them.
Old 13th March 2014
Gear Maniac

In a band rehearsal setting it could work..

If working alone very rarely..
Old 13th March 2014
Here for the gear

In my experience, weed, drink, shrooms, and acid will make you think the material is great. Till you realize you're living in a different world and you need to come back to reality. It's definitely interesting for what it is, and a stage I feel like I had to pass through. However, now completely sober, I can't say that I miss it. More clarity than ever. The drugged out music was cool in it's own way, but myself and others will agree that my music now is light years ahead of what I was making when tripping balls sometimes multiple times a week.

I don't think drugs make an artist. I think you either have that special thing or you don't. Hendrix, The Beatles, [insert drug using artist here], were just great at what they did.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Lol @ calling marijuana a drug. Big Pharma sells more legally prescribed meth, speed, and heroin then anybody in the world if you are looking for drugs.

I suggest learning more before disproving things. All of your founding fathers sure believed in it. It's unfortunate the current leaders are trying their hardest to remove everything they stood for though. Also, weed does not = weed. While it certainly does not make you MORE creative, what it can do is allow you to focus on something specific (like music) and block out everything else for a while. The ideal scenario is a Sativa dominant strain preferably vaporized instead of combusted. Many people are only familiar with Indica varieties which induces the couch lock and laziness (and pain relief) commonly associated with cannabis. Sativas create a more cerebral and focused effect which can be useful or fun during the creative process.

I don't drink much but alcohol can be sometimes useful in its classic "truth-serum" properties. If you are a songwriter it may make you say what you need to say.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Oh come on, cannabis (THC+CBD+etc) is a drug. A relatively innocuous one, but a drug nonetheless.

The drug I'm wired on now (caffeine) is also a drug.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

one thing when your messed up on weed, your fire wire interface can loose connection and your input and output matrix can be come co mingled.
that and I added to much reverb and delay.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldon2975 View Post
Oh come on, cannabis (THC+CBD+etc) is a drug. A relatively innocuous one, but a drug nonetheless.

The drug I'm wired on now (caffeine) is also a drug.
Okay; I'll go for that but it's bad stigma. A common cold and cancer are both sickness; but they aren't one in the same. It would be nice if we didn't put caffeine and chocolate in the same roundup as Bath Salts and methamphetamine.
Old 13th March 2014
Here for the gear

If you don't think weed is a drug, you are lying to yourself.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackroot View Post
Its definitely a drug by the book definition.

"Drug" carries a lot of meanings and connotations though. People fighting against the term in relation to weed are mostly fighting against the decades-old propaganda-style misrepresentations of it.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackroot View Post
But marijuana/hemp has over 50,000 uses. Is paper and textiles, or building supplies a drug? Or maybe Betsy Ross' first American flag, is that too a drug? How many products can you make out of Xanax? If you want to label it as a drug, that's fine. But it's that bad stigma that causes people to overlook the thousands of beneficial uses, far beyond the medical benefits. While you could possibly build a house out of crack rocks, it wouldn't be nearly as durable as one made from hemp-concrete blocks.
Old 13th March 2014
Deleted User
Consult the Ghost of Jimmy Morrison.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Yeah but to be more accurate pot and hemp are really entirely different things aren't they - it's impossible to get any buzz what so ever on hemp but obviously that's not the case with pot - I think hemp could be the great saviour as a valid biofuel while transitioning to clean renewables.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
Yeah but to be more accurate pot and hemp are really entirely different things aren't they - it's impossible to get any buzz what so ever on hemp but obviously that's not the case with pot - I think hemp could be the great saviour as a valid biofuel while transitioning to clean renewables.
They come from the same plant though. The differences come in growing technique, targeting maximum hemp production versus maximum bud production. Hemp is simply the fiber of the plant. They have marijuana that does not give you a buzz by targeting CBD instead of THC which is dominant in medicine. Many families are moving to legal states to obtain high CBD tinctures for their children to fight things such as seizures without the side effects of harmful synthetic drugs administered by your friendly neighborhood doctor. There was actually a documentary on CNN (of all places) about this the other day. But you're right, it makes a great bio-fuel. If we went back to hemp paper instead of our desolate deforestation a real landmark moment would be achieved.
Old 13th March 2014
Lives for gear

I don't want to start a dope debate but they are actually very different plants - indica and sativa strains of dope have over 400 psychoactive chemicals including thc - hemp is a different strain entirely and has none of those chemicals and is stringyer, blah blah.
I'm not debating anything about its medical uses as it's proven there are many many - I'm talking about dope not hemp.
And the war on drugs - 80% of people in jails in my country are there for drug related crimes - a sad sad joke.
Old 13th March 2014
Here for the gear

Weeed

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search