The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avicii's 'Wake Me Up' hits 200 million streams in Spotify. Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Avicii's 'Wake Me Up' hits 200 million streams in Spotify.

Spotify:
Quote:
Avicii's 'Wake Me Up' hits 200 millions streams. He is now holder of the Streaming World Record on our service.

So this is THE hit song of the streaming generation. EDM & Country(?) crossover track. Avicii instrumental tracks are ok, but i personally can't stand vocals in this.

Wonder how many copies of this track we will hear in the coming months? Nashville goes EDM :D
Old 27th February 2014
GV1
Gear Maniac

He's a loop *****, and a preset *****.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Yeah, a bit of a Rednex "Cotton-Eye Joe" feel to it . . . I like "Cotton-Eye Joe", though, even if now it always makes me feel like I'm at a baseball game.

The Avicii tune--this is the first time I'm hearing it--isn't making me run to download the album, it's maybe on the slightly boring side to me in terms of the chord progression, melody, riff, etc., but I like it okay.
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GV1 View Post
He's a loop *****, and a preset *****.
None of this is rocket science, why is that important?

I don't like the track myself
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FAMPF View Post
None of this is rocket science, why is that important?
Nothing simple about getting 200 million plays though (if you know the simple secret, do tell us!). MUCH respect to Avici, as much as I'm hoping that plain poppy uber-limited EDM sound will start to fade out this year...

I'm seeing and oldskool revival, early 90s piano house, it's been a long time coming but it's about to break.... bring it on!
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ999x View Post
Nothing simple about getting 200 million plays though (if you know the simple secret, do tell us!). MUCH respect to Avici, as much as I'm hoping that plain poppy uber-limited EDM sound will start to fade out this year...
Also much respect to the songwriters Aloe Blacc (also known for "I need a Dollar" and "I'm the Man") and Mike Einziger from Incubus, plus the Interscope A&R team for having the vision to kick a country/bluegrass demo idea to a 22 year old Swedish EDM producer to turn into a top40 radio smash. Talk about unlikely.

Really cool idea all around, something that's never been done before and has impacted in a massive way, all personal taste aside.
Old 27th February 2014
GV1
Gear Maniac

Quote:

I'm seeing and oldskool revival, early 90s piano house, it's been a long time coming but it's about to break.... bring it on!
I wish I knew how. But, it's worth noting that the marketing isn't done by Avici. Avici is just the brand (in marketing speak).

I'm all for showing respect and appreciation to EDM artists. Deadmau5, Skrillex, Hudmo, Flying Lotus, Progidy etc etc. are very talented in what they do. They do everything from the ground up.

Grabbing a loop from a sample pack, and Nexus presets is hardly a real achievement. I see it as a two fingers up to those that actually dedicated their life to learning theory, programming synths, and putting love and passion into what they do.

I have a feeling someone will mention Hendrix. At least he could play a guitar by ear.

His marketing team are awesome though.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Grabbing a loop from a sample pack, and Nexus presets is hardly a real achievement.
The resulting smash hit of a merging of styles that has never been done before is a very real achievement though, and a very unique one.

Achievement is all about outcome, not process. For example, when evaluating a car, do you care whether certain parts were made by the car company itself vs a 3rd party supplier? No, never. You care whether or not the final product is a good car.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Avicii's 'Wake Me Up' is a fantastic track. Love the video too. If you can do better, then do it. The world is waiting.
Old 27th February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Burrito View Post
Spotify:

So this is THE hit song of the streaming generation. EDM & Country(?) crossover track. Avicii instrumental tracks are ok, but i personally can't stand vocals in this.

Wonder how many copies of this track we will hear in the coming months? Nashville goes EDM :D
It's amusing that such a duck-out-of-water track was apparently a big hit.

But, you know, the top of the charts has always been a province of quirky public enthusiasms often spiked by mega promotion and payola.

What I find fascinating is the huge pool of often excellent music that finds itself in the limbo of the bottom 20% of the tracks on Spotify -- about 4 million -- which have NEVER BEEN PLAYED BY ANYONE there.

I stumbled onto the Forgotify service, which serves up random tracks (and sometimes whole albums) that had never been played on Spotify...

... and what I found rather shocked me.

Around here and similar sites, one hears a LOT of whining and wailing and gnashing of teeth over diminished revenue because of 'competition' from 'amateurs' and 'incompetents' in the DIY crowd.

But, in the 20 or so alums I've dipped into via Forgotify, I have found mostly VERY professional work, and some of it just drop-dead spectacular, like a 7 CD set of Haydn choral masses that had been completely unheard on Spotify. A stunningingly beautiful collection with top artists from the prestigious London roster.

And completely unheard. Couldn't give a listen away for free. At least not before Forgotify scoopoed it out of the 'forgotten fifth.'

I've been so intrigued by the gap between the amazing music that's going unheard and the trite drivel that the masses can't seem to get enough of that I started a mini-blog detailing my daily finds on Forgotify. Sure, there have been a couple forgettable works -- like one from a Brazillian mega-star who's put out an album a years since '76 -- but, by and large, we are NOT talking about bedroom four track recordings here. In fact, I have yet to come across a single one via Forgotify.

The Forgotify Files.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

@theblue1:

I knew you were about to speak your mind, saw your name in the CAUVTT list. And as expected, you are a diplomat.

Me, not as much. I let the smilies do the talking.

HW
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
And completely unheard. Couldn't give a listen away for free. At least not before Forgotify scoopoed it out of the 'forgotten fifth.'

I've been so intrigued by the gap between the amazing music that's going unheard and the trite drivel that the masses can't seem to get enough of that I started a mini-blog detailing my daily finds on Forgotify.

Goes to show that it doesn't matter how well something is done, if the idea itself isn't appealing to people.

I get on the one hand that a 7 CD set of of Haydn choral masses will most likely be excellent for what it is, but also why no one on earth wants to hear it these days. They were never written to be recorded or listened to independently of a Catholic mass service in the first place. Its essentially soundtrack music backing up something else, much like John Williams rarely gets listened to outside of the movies he scores.
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
Also much respect to the songwriters Aloe Blacc (also known for "I need a Dollar" and "I'm the Man") and Mike Einziger from Incubus, plus the Interscope A&R team for having the vision to kick a country/bluegrass demo idea to a 22 year old Swedish EDM producer to turn into a top40 radio smash. Talk about unlikely.

Really cool idea all around, something that's never been done before and has impacted in a massive way, all personal taste aside.
I'm generally not a huge fan, but I said it before. The big stand outs are the ones that take 'risks'. I used to chase that Max Martin, Dr Luke 'thing' but in the end by the time you have they are already ahead of you.

Take something familiar and blend in a little something something out of fashion, or slightly out of the ordinary.

Also once again a good song is a good song.

Personally not a huge fan of the song but big respect for making this work, but it seems like there's an audience that's been hankering for a cross over of EDM production and country song writing.

I think if you are doing EDM, I think partnering up with songwriters is the way to go for mass audience appeal.
Old 27th February 2014
Quote:
Goes to show that it doesn't matter how well something is done, if the idea itself isn't appealing to people.

I get on the one hand that a 7 CD set of of Haydn choral masses will most likely be excellent for what it is, but also why no one on earth wants to hear it these days. They were never written to be recorded or listened to independently of a Catholic mass service in the first place. Its essentially soundtrack music backing up something else, much like John Williams rarely gets listened to outside of the movies he scores.
You're a nice guy. Don't make me smack you. Hard.

heh

John Williams (aka, former big band leader, Johnny Williams, NOT not not the fine classical lutist/guitarist) has been a fine professional and a very competent and well-liked movie soundtrack guy. He's no Bernard Herrman or Henry Mancini, to my thinking, but folks like his broad-stroke, pseudo-classical affectations -- and, to the unwashed masses, I guess, it sounds like 'sophistication.'

Whereas Haydn is one of the finest composers to work in the last half millennium.

FWIW, I'm an agnostic who has about as much affinity for church services as the typical vampire.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
You're a nice guy. Don't make me smack you. Hard.

heh

John Williams (aka, former big band leader, Johnny Williams, NOT not not the fine classical lutist/guitarist) is a very competent movie soundtrack guy. He's no Bernard Herrman or Henry Mancini, but folks like his broad-stroke pseudo-classical affectations -- and, to the unwashed masses, I guess, it sounds like 'sophistication.'

Whereas Haydn is one of the finest composers to work in the last half millennium.

FWIW, I'm an agnostic who has about as much affinity for church services as the typical vampire.

I'm just saying support music is still support music regardless of how well its done. The music was intended to support some other live participatory event that was very culturally relevant at the time, not be listened to solo in cans a few hundred years later.

If you place support music as the main event, you'll lose people, even if its immediately culturally relevant. If the event that its supporting is no longer culturally relevant and doesn't hold people's interest, you'll lose most everyone else.

My point is to put your findings into the perspective of the current songwriter/artist looking to impact Spotify: if the core idea doesn't resonate with the current culture, then it doesn't matter how well its done.
Old 27th February 2014
I do understand what you're saying. And it may well apply to John Williams soundtracks and the like.

But we're gonna have to disagree on Haydn, his music, and his motivations. Not to mention its reception by several hundred years of serious music audiences. News flash: he's still a big deal to folks who go for complex orchestral music. (Fading breed, though they may be.)

But I can certainly agree that today's repetition-through-hype-and-payola-engaged audience mostly doesn't seem to have the basic aesthetic equipment to make sense of complex, intelligent music. That was what you were saying at the end, right?

heh
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

If only Avicii, Haydn etc. hung out with us lot more on this forum. Think of the music they could have made!

PS - the link from Avicii to Haydn in this thread, with disagreements at both ends, means you won gearslutz today. Congrats!

Old 27th February 2014
Quote:
If only Avicii, Haydn etc. hung out with us lot more on this forum. Think of the music they could have made!

PS - the link from Avicii to Haydn in this thread, with disagreements at both ends, means you won gearslutz today. Congrats!

heh
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

But I can certainly agree that today's repetition-through-hype-and-payola-engaged audience mostly doesn't seem to have the basic aesthetic equipment to make sense of complex, intelligent music. That was what you were saying at the end, right?

Not at all.

I was attempting to use your zero-play Haydn example to show the importance of culturally relevant ideas in creating a current cultural impact, since that's an ongoing topic here.

If you want to start the high art vs low art debate with a pretty standard low-art insult, then that's on you, not my words! I'm perfectly happy having fun with my music with the commoners.
Old 27th February 2014
GV1
Gear Maniac

Quote:

If Avicii hung out on here I've no doubt he'd be slated if he was to ask questions about how he works. People would be telling him to make his own drums, or to get a better synth than Nexus. I don't get why people give credibility to people with status. If he was a nobody, and told you how he produced his track, I've no doubt he'd get 0 replies on his "Finished Track" thread pre mastering.

This forum is ruthless. Anyone who's a long term member who's started from the bottom has had their butt kicked into shape on here. And all for the right reasons. I honestly think if you ask silly questions on here you get flamed to hell, but flamed with all the correct advice.

I have to agree with @theblue1. Didn't even know about Forgotify. Going to check that out now.
Old 27th February 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
If Avicii hung out on here I've no doubt he'd be slated if he was to ask questions about how he works. People would be telling him to make his own drums, or to get a better synth than Nexus. I don't get why people give credibility to people with status. If he was a nobody, and told you how he produced his track, I've no doubt he'd get 0 replies on his "Finished Track" thread pre mastering.

This forum is ruthless. Anyone who's a long term member who's started from the bottom has had their butt kicked into shape on here. And all for the right reasons. I honestly think if you ask silly questions on here you get flamed to hell, but flamed with all the correct advice.

I have to agree with @theblue1. Didn't even know about Forgotify. Going to check that out now.
Depends on which subforum he went to, I really don't think many here in the songwriting forum care about whether or not loops or presets were used
Old 27th February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnalia Barcus View Post
Yeah, a bit of a Rednex "Cotton-Eye Joe" feel to it . . . I like "Cotton-Eye Joe",

HAHAHAH

Its like a sentimental cotton eye joe
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnalia Barcus View Post
Yeah, a bit of a Rednex "Cotton-Eye Joe" feel to it . . . I like "Cotton-Eye Joe", though, even if now it always makes me feel like I'm at a baseball game.

The Avicii tune--this is the first time I'm hearing it--isn't making me run to download the album, it's maybe on the slightly boring side to me in terms of the chord progression, melody, riff, etc., but I like it okay.
Thank you! I keep saying it sounds like that song and everyone looks at me like I'm nuts. Ke$ha's "Timber" is more of the same.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
If Avicii hung out on here I've no doubt he'd be slated if he was to ask questions about how he works. People would be telling him to make his own drums, or to get a better synth than Nexus.

Then I'd say he's quite smart for avoiding this place and doing exactly what he felt like doing with the tools at his disposal.

Imagine how many other potentially great songwriters/music-makers get lost in inconsequential engineering details thanks to mis-calibrated advice that puts way too much emphasis on making a kick drum, rather than using the tools at their disposal to make great music that affects people's live positively by the millions.

Historically musicians paid engineers and drum makers to make their drums sound good, that's nothing new. And every musical instrument is a sonic preset. Much of the advice on this forum is entirely counter-musician and counter-music-making, putting way too much weight on what amounts to inconsequential engineering details that the musician has ALWAYS had other people do for them.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Burrito View Post
Spotify:

I thought this awful song was the Mumford people. You mean there's more people like this? In the words of Enid Blyton: Horrid. Absolutely horrid.
Old 27th February 2014
GV1
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Then I'd say he's quite smart for avoiding this place and doing exactly what he felt like doing with the tools at his disposal.

Imagine how many other potentially great songwriters/music-makers get lost in inconsequential engineering details thanks to mis-calibrated advice that puts way too much emphasis on making a kick drum, rather than using the tools at their disposal to make great music that affects people's live positively by the millions.

Historically musicians paid engineers and drum makers to make their drums sound good, that's nothing new. And every musical instrument is a sonic preset. Much of the advice on this forum is entirely counter-musician and counter-music-making, putting way too much weight on what amounts to inconsequential engineering details that the musician has ALWAYS had other people do for them.
That's a valid point. I can appreciate that.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear
Much respect to Avicii, I can guarantee that there are no pre-made loops or presets in this track.

The country/folk electronica has been a thing for a while in Berlin (where all techno comes from :P ) I can post a list of tracks if you like?
Old 27th February 2014
GV1
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykx View Post
Much respect to Avicii, I can guarantee that there are no pre-made loops or presets in this track.
You've obviously not seen his videos.
Old 27th February 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
You've obviously not seen his videos.
I didn't watch this video, I do know the track though. If you want to point out which presets he uses or where he got his loops from that would be cool. Not that it would stop him being a millionaire, or wildly successful.

This is definitely worth a watch, puts into perspective how music musical knowledge these 'EDM' people have.
Old 28th February 2014
Quote:
Not at all.

I was attempting to use your zero-play Haydn example to show the importance of culturally relevant ideas in creating a current cultural impact, since that's an ongoing topic here.

If you want to start the high art vs low art debate with a pretty standard low-art insult, then that's on you, not my words! I'm perfectly happy having fun with my music with the commoners.
I was kidding, of course, on that last. I well knew that wasn't what you were trying to suggest. And I certainly wasn't suggesting -- even ironically -- that you were among those who do not have the aesthetic sophistication to appreciate such music. My apologies if my attempt at humor wasn't apparent. Next time, I use more grinning guys. heh

But I wasn't kidding about the issue of the secular musical merits of, say, those Haydn masses. Taking some 3 chord, repetitive praise song out of its worship context might be unfair to both the song and the listener, but there is a great deal of liturgical and other religious music -- in and outside the European traditions -- which has been found musically inspiring by people irrespective of their belief systems.

And, with regard high and low art, I'm an egalitarian. While I've certainly experienced my share of serious orchestral music up close and personal, I've also been a huge fan of blues, roots country, folk, pop from various eras, R&B, jazz, of course, but also electronic, hip hop, funk, acid rock, tango. Much of my favorite music had its origins in bordellos around the world. (And churches/ashrams/temples/etc. Go figure.)

My advocacy isn't for one supposedly 'elevated' genre or approach -- it's for not limiting oneself in the narrow confines of mass-marketed commodity music.*

*BTW, my use of that phrase should not even be considered necessarily pejorative with regard to that music. A commodity may well be a quality product, the point is that it is such a commonplace that it is no longer marketed on quality, and certainly not on uniqueness, but simply as the next item off the assembly line.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search