The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avicii's 'Wake Me Up' hits 200 million streams in Spotify. Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 28th February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
Then I'd say he's quite smart for avoiding this place and doing exactly what he felt like doing with the tools at his disposal.

Imagine how many other potentially great songwriters/music-makers get lost in inconsequential engineering details thanks to mis-calibrated advice that puts way too much emphasis on making a kick drum, rather than using the tools at their disposal to make great music that affects people's live positively by the millions.

Historically musicians paid engineers and drum makers to make their drums sound good, that's nothing new. And every musical instrument is a sonic preset. Much of the advice on this forum is entirely counter-musician and counter-music-making, putting way too much weight on what amounts to inconsequential engineering details that the musician has ALWAYS had other people do for them.
I agree, knowing who you are and what you're willing to spend your time on can be crucial to getting the most out of your time and energy.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Since when listening to "Classical music" is "high brow".
When I read "no one on earth wants to hear this stuff" and to listen to sacred music outside the context of religious worship is a no-no, especially 'cause is hundreds of years old, I just have to smile at the narrow minded ideas. To think like that is to promote the dismissal of music that can be served as a learning tool, to say nothing about the enjoyment that it gives.

Bach, Beethoven, Mozart, Schubert, Liszt, Bruckner, Puccini, Rossini, Brahms, Faure, Berlioz, Verdi, Britten, Dvorack; all wrote Oratorios, Masses, Requiem Masses that are still heard by millions everyday all over the world.
Also, Thomas Tallis, Palestrina, J.Des Prez, William Byrd 1543-1623 (the greatest English composer ever that you never heard of) and of course Giovanni Gabrieli whose choral works are still unmatched to this day. The list is endless...

And how about, you know, that early form of music that was the official music of the Catholic Church for centuries, Gregorian Chant.
Can be heard everywhere nowadays; films, TV, and pop music. Yes, pop music.heh

HW
Old 28th February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by billcarroll View Post
Avicii's 'Wake Me Up' is a fantastic track. Love the video too. If you can do better, then do it. The world is waiting.
I love common sense posts like this. The door for making quality music is wide open. Fans are waiting.
Old 28th February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by psykx View Post
I didn't watch this video, I do know the track though. If you want to point out which presets he uses or where he got his loops from that would be cool. Not that it would stop him being a millionaire, or wildly successful.

This is definitely worth a watch, puts into perspective how music musical knowledge these 'EDM' people have.
Happily, no one need convince me that there are some very smart and knoweldgeable people working in various electronica genres, since I spent much of the 90s immersed in same.

That said, and your stipulation that you hadn't watched the vid (above) in mind... I'm afraid I have to say I'm not at all sure this vid works to your message.
Old 28th February 2014
It's a pretty good song, why the hate? haha.
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Nut

I jumped into the Songwriting forum tonight with the hopes of starting a thread (and I probably still will) about generating ideas for songs; instead I found this and had to read.

Funny - I just heard about Avicii a couple months ago, and my friends (we are all musicians/creators) mildly mocked me for having no clue who he was. We are appreciators of all music and of the craft, and while the song doesn't move me, I've gotta give Avicii some credit.

First of all: he's 24 years young. And while I grew up playing the trumpet; studying scales and learning the piano; playing the guitar until my fingers bled; going to 7a vocal warmups in college, Mr. Avicii probably didn't do any of that. OR MAYBE HE DID ... I don't know. We don't know.

In my opinion, music that is grabbing ears these days have one thing in common: cool sounds. Cool samples. Cool triggers. Live drums with MIDI triggers. Everything is to a click. EVERYTHING. It's just how we've migrated as a culture. Avicii probably knows his DAW inside and out; in fact, he probably knows all of his tools inside and out. That's how he makes his music: putting those tools to use. I can't fault him for not wanting to play Hanons or contrary motion warmups ... OR MAYBE HE DOES?! I dunno.

200 million plays can't be wrong. But I'll tell you what: even out of those 200 million, I'm not one of them. Sorry, Avicii! I support your efforts! You're doing a great job!
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

I've noted a big trend in recent radio tunes is singer/songwriter acoustic guitar with 4 on the floor club beats and synth leads.
Old 28th February 2014
Gear Maniac

I have never heard of him till this thread! Will listen later .
Old 28th February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lago View Post
It's a pretty good song, why the hate? haha.
glad you like it - its not for me

Quote:
200 million plays can't be wrong.
like McDonalds is not wrong...

I cant get over how infantile so much of this EDM is in its sentiment...it really sounds like its written with 12 year old girls in mind...like they are lullabies written for when you are tucking your daughter into bed...

one of the biggest EDM hits is called 'dont you worry child...'
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I stumbled onto the Forgotify service, which serves up random tracks (and sometimes whole albums) that had never been played on Spotify...

... and what I found rather shocked me.
I stumbled in to Forgotify yesterday. What a holy grail for obscure samples! Most stuff that came was middle eastern pop music from eighties.

But then came something that i doubt that should be there. First was classic punk record from 1985. I seriously doubt it has zero listens as the original vinyl is in high demand. Another one was 22 Pistepirkko and their biggest album to this date. It has all their biggest hits that has sold loads. So either those were uploaded to Spotify just a second before i hit Next on Forgotify or it digs out tracks that are not visible to all. Good resource for sample digging anyways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triscuit
Avicii probably knows his DAW inside and out; in fact, he probably knows all of his tools inside and out. That's how he makes his music: putting those tools to use. I can't fault him for not wanting to play Hanons or contrary motion warmups ... OR MAYBE HE DOES?! I dunno.
We know:

He's had some very good mentors: Swedish House Mafia. He uses FL Studio like most "kids" starting out.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

No to give ammo to the haters here but you can easily find a video on youtube where he's caught using a cracked synth (surely not sylenth1?) in one of these tutorials.

There's a super-creepy swedish house mafia vid out there where it looks liek they've been told "have a conversation like you were on gearslutz, about your production", and the lead guy, who i guess never touches the mixer/DAW, starts confidently spouting off all of this absolute nonsense..... "then we put the kick in, yeah yeah..... sometimes the kick sounds better loud.... sometimes it sounds better soft.... so we always turn it up and down to see what sounds best. We use a fader!"

I'm paraphrasing.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm perfectly happy having fun with my music with the commoners.
But you really do seem to get agitated whenever someone doesn't like the latest trendy mainstream release currently being hyped. I guess your standard is - if it's new and highly popular it must be praised by everyone ? That's a pretty ridiculous non-standard to try and ram down everyone's throat. It's as if you feel threatened by negative comments provided by people who happen to see possibilities beyond the mainstream.

Maybe you are scared they will enlighten you and others with a less conformist viewpoint, so you have to try to extinguish it before it grows ?
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJ999x View Post
No to give ammo to the haters
So it's either black or white ? You have to love this tune or hate it ?

"Wake Me Up" is the perfect two and a half stars out of five song. It doesn't have a monotone, mechanical autotuned riff of 2 notes chirping about dancing at the club, so it does at least try to give the listener a melodic theme and lyrical theme which isn't entirely frivolous and disposable.

But it's not an act of deep artistic uniqueness either : it takes a totally stock & canned Mumford & Sons style and injects a rote, pounding EDM kick into it for freshness.

Not hating, just observing.

Lorde's ''Royals'' wins via 2nd round knockout !!
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Not black and white, and everyone welcome to love it, hate it, or anything inbetween (to say anything else would be silly really).

It's those who think it's easy to make this kind of tune to this kind of standard - those people are objectively incorrect.... in my subjective opinion, man I LOVE electronic music of all forms but i'm no fan of avici let alone swedish house mafia.

I love guitar music as well but there are many bland globally massive rock bands that do zero for me.

But t say what any of these guys do musically / as a band (i mean, independetnly from promoters) is easy, on an internet forum, well i think it's right to challenge that.

My 2c, peace

[Edit: I See what you mean, it looked like i was calling you a hater, i was using the term lazily, didnt mean offence, apols]
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Ahhh mumford and sons - the perfect example of the kind of rock band i was talking about, they do nothing for me either, but i'd never think it was easy for them, as a band, to achieve what they've achieved. Nonsense for nobodies (like me) on an internet forum to say "i could do what they've done!".

"I could be multi-millionaire global musician like them, it's just i wont sell my soul like that, it's purely my own personal choice, f*** the cars, the women, the houses, the beaches, the free time, Ive made a pesonal choice to stay here in my living room with my dayjob, makin my tunes and keeping it real. I chose not to have avici's success."
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldon2975 View Post
But you really do seem to get agitated whenever someone doesn't like the latest trendy mainstream release currently being hyped. I guess your standard is - if it's new and highly popular it must be praised by everyone ? That's a pretty ridiculous non-standard to try and ram down everyone's throat. It's as if you feel threatened by negative comments provided by people who happen to see possibilities beyond the mainstream.

Maybe you are scared they will enlighten you and others with a less conformist viewpoint, so you have to try to extinguish it before it grows ?

eldon2975, my man!!!

I wished I could express myself as well as you, but unfortunately I'm not as articulated. I am very impressed by your observation skills and demeanor.

Welcome to GS, my friend!!

HW
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

I'll find it later, prob. tomorrow - I am paraphrasing but that was how it struck me at the time.
Old 28th February 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triscuit View Post
I jumped into the Songwriting forum tonight with the hopes of starting a thread (and I probably still will) about generating ideas for songs; instead I found this and had to read.

Funny - I just heard about Avicii a couple months ago, and my friends (we are all musicians/creators) mildly mocked me for having no clue who he was. We are appreciators of all music and of the craft, and while the song doesn't move me, I've gotta give Avicii some credit.

First of all: he's 24 years young. And while I grew up playing the trumpet; studying scales and learning the piano; playing the guitar until my fingers bled; going to 7a vocal warmups in college, Mr. Avicii probably didn't do any of that. OR MAYBE HE DID ... I don't know. We don't know.

In my opinion, music that is grabbing ears these days have one thing in common: cool sounds. Cool samples. Cool triggers. Live drums with MIDI triggers. Everything is to a click. EVERYTHING. It's just how we've migrated as a culture. Avicii probably knows his DAW inside and out; in fact, he probably knows all of his tools inside and out. That's how he makes his music: putting those tools to use. I can't fault him for not wanting to play Hanons or contrary motion warmups ... OR MAYBE HE DOES?! I dunno.

200 million plays can't be wrong. But I'll tell you what: even out of those 200 million, I'm not one of them. Sorry, Avicii! I support your efforts! You're doing a great job!
See... despite the fact I like other musical styles, too, I come from having spent much of the nineties making and listening to various forms of electronica. I cut my teeth on analog modulars (you know, the ones with real patch cords, not animated?) at the beginning of the 1980s, at the height had 7 outboard synth modules in my rig.

But, to me, this Avicii track seems tepid, unimaginative, and I don't much like it as either electronica or country pop. (I'll admit, while I love roots country, glossy Nashville pop doesn't generally do much for me.) I mean, people have done cross-stylistic mashups before, and done it a lot better -- to my way of thinking. Anyone remember "Buffalo Gals"? Now that was a wake-up call, a real bold move. This? Psshh.

But, hey, it's ALL good.

If most folks like a track and I don't, all it means is I don't like that track, ultimately. Everyone should like what they like for the reasons they like it as long as they like it. Others opinions shouldn't be a challenge, though we need not agree with them. We should feel free to discuss our own feelings about the music without feeling like it means that someone else who likes that particular music must be wack.

It is entirely reasonable for different smart, aesthetically engaged people to both love and hate the same track. Maybe they like and hate different things in the track. Maybe one hates specifically what the other likes. NEITHER aesthetic reaction negates or devalues the other.

So it should be possible for us to express strong opinions about a track -- because, let's face it, engaged musicians have strong opinions about music -- without others feeling like their own personal values and aesthetic opinion are being directly attacked.

Me, I enjoy arguing about music, maybe like others would argue about sports teams, but just because someone and I disagree about music does not, in any way, make me think less of them. I have a good friend in the songwriter community, we went through a lot of the same cultural upheavals at the end of the 70s and into the 80s, but we lived through them in very aesthetic contexts. On music that came out after the 60s, we agree on almost nothing. But he's a very smart, involved guy, a fine analyzer and tweaker of songs, prolific and energetic. A solid friend. We don't agree on much in terms of actual tunes, but it just makes things interesting.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldon2975 View Post
But you really do seem to get agitated whenever someone doesn't like the latest trendy mainstream release currently being hyped. I guess your standard is - if it's new and highly popular it must be praised by everyone ?

I find knee-jerk opposition to anything popular to be by far the more "conformist" view of the educated musician. Every music instructor I've had since I was a kid knocked popular music, as did every student in every class, as do most people on this messageboard. I myself did so as well, for over a decade of my life.

Its only in the last five years, in my 30s, that I've put in the mental effort to learn to appreciate popular music through the eyes of the intended audience, the regular person, rather than through the eyes of a jaded musician. And its made music so much more fun and enjoyable that I like to share that angle to other musicians, many of whom are affected positively and thank me for it.

I do admit, when something set off my "jaded hate"-dar, I'll speak up. Knocking a musician like Avicci for using sampled kick drums is really clawing for angles. .

Quote:
Me, I enjoy arguing about music, maybe like others would argue about sports teams, but just because someone and I disagree about music does not, in any way, make me think less of them.
Absolutely!
Old 28th February 2014
Quote:
I find knee-jerk opposition to anything popular to be by far the more "conformist" view of the educated musician. Every music instructor I've had since I was a kid knocked popular music, as did every student in every class, as do most people on this messageboard. I myself did so as well, for over a decade of my life.

Its only in the last five years, in my 30s, that I've put in the mental effort to learn to appreciate popular music through the eyes of the intended audience, the regular person, rather than through the eyes of a jaded musician. And its made music so much more fun and enjoyable that I like to share that angle to other musicians, many of whom are affected positively and thank me for it.

I do admit, when something set off my "jaded hate"-dar, I'll speak up. Knocking a musician like Avicci for using sampled kick drums is really clawing for angles. .

Absolutely!
Well said.

I figured the more we talked, the closer we would get on this.

Now, I think it seems quite clear to me that, like my pal I referenced above, you seem more open-minded and accepting of a wide swathe of music than I am.

Me, I like music from all styles -- but just not that much of it... heh As I've often said -- and with only a bit of tongue in cheek -- 90% of everything strikes me as pretty much crap. Now, guys like you and my pal, every bit as intelligent and tasteful in their ways as I imagine myself to be, tend to be a lot more accepting. And, ultimately, that's kind of a GOOD thing for them -- it means there's more for them to enjoy.

Me, I'm afraid, I thoroughly, passionately enjoy what I really like, can take or leave a fair bit, but then there's typically a large amount in any genre/style that I just can't warm up to. I wear out skip buttons, so to speak, when I even bother to try to listen to a stream of someone else's musical selections. Same reason I stopped listening to commercial radio in the late 80s and pretty much all music radio in the 90s. I just couldn't seem to hear three songs in a row I liked -- and that, after virtually only listening to my favorite local college station during its golden age in the 80s and early 90s. [We are a couple of, to my way of thinking, ill-chosen music directors later. There's some decent stuff at night sometimes but it's mostly just young adult pop and tepid club music from the UK the rest of the time. The MD -- who used to affect an English accent but before that was hosting a reggae show and had a pasta-rasta fake patois -- is not what I'd call a deeply sophisticated musical personality.]
Old 28th February 2014
Quote:

Absolutely!
What bothers me are all the entitled musicians who think they are owed something because they are musicians. How about they start writing great music that people will want to buy? They can't, because they're not good enough, that's the bottom line. So instead they bash the popular artists. It's sickening really. When Avicii released Silhouettes, it was really something else. That track is amazing, has tons of vibe. I really think it's creative the way he's merging country and dance.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

I figured the more we talked, the closer we would get on this.

That seems to be how these discussions always work out!
Old 28th February 2014
FWIW, I totally agree that, if the goal is selling product, one should pursue that goal fully and with eyes wide open. And there is nothing ignoble about that. A good product is a good product, whether it's a shoe that will last almost forever or an ear-worm tune folks can't get out of their heads.

One of the persistent lessons of the musical marketplace is that what pleases musicians and passionate music aficionadi is often not found at the top of the charts and the stuff at the top of the charts often has far more fans in the general population. If the goal is sales, one should apply himself to that forthrightly and unsqueamishly. If the goal is creating music with its own intrinsic value, being jealous of others' marketplace successes is not just a distraction -- it will distort your own values and may well make you bitter. And that is truly a perversion of the musical impulse.
Old 28th February 2014
Quote:
If the goal is sales
Well it should be if you're trying to have a sustainable career. If not, then sure it can be a side hobby. Not only do you have to sell music, merch etc, but you have to sell yourself to labels, publishers etc, you have to convince people.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
FWIW, I totally agree that, if the goal is selling product, one should pursue that goal fully and with eyes wide open. And there is nothing ignoble about that. A good product is a good product, whether it's a shoe that will last almost forever or an ear-worm tune folks can't get out of their heads.

One of the persistent lessons of the musical marketplace is that what pleases musicians and passionate music aficionadi is often not found at the top of the charts and the stuff at the top of the charts often has far more fans in the general population. If the goal is sales, one should apply himself to that forthrightly and unsqueamishly. If the goal is creating music with its own intrinsic value, being jealous of others' marketplace successes is not just a distraction -- it will distort your own values and may well make you bitter. And that is truly a perversion of the musical impulse.

This! Very well said.

Kept trying to expand on it but everything I typed was redundant, you nailed it.
Old 28th February 2014
Quote:
Well it should be if you're trying to have a sustainable career. If not, then sure it can be a side hobby. Not only do you have to sell music, merch etc, but you have to sell yourself to labels, publishers etc, you have to convince people.
Right. You have to work and work hard. No one else will sell you (unless you pay them to and that doesn't always work out as well as folks might like). You have to have it all lined up and then you have to go the extra mile, too.

But, as you note, not everyone has to try for the same main stage. Sometimes more modest ambitions end up becoming realized even as big dreams end up getting deflated. Realistic goals tend to be easier to achieve.

But, you know, ultimately the sky is the limit. Never tell a dreamer not to dream... but if that's all he's doing, it may at times be a kindness to point out that dreams need to worked on in order to become reality.

Quote:
This! Very well said.

Kept trying to expand on it but everything I typed was redundant, you nailed it.
Thanks, newguy1! Very nice of you to say.
Old 28th February 2014
GV1
Gear Maniac

Quote:
But, when you already have the contacts in the industry, and the backing (Avicii has Swedish House Mafia) then it's not difficult. You drop your track at a few big gigs, get people talking, inject some cash into the marketing and the PR, and away it goes. Well, not that simple, but you get the picture.

These days with the Internet and Internet marketing you can force music upon people (20 second YouTube ads for example). Pay for front page listings. Viral marketing. The opportunities are endless.

People in this thread who are saying "If you can do better, do it" ... it's no longer about that. There are great and better musicians in this world who are making amazing music in the EDM genre, but they're not even entering the charts because they don't have the contacts, or the cash, to inject into the marketing and PR. There's a saying in marketing: you could have a great product, but if nobody is made aware of it you're not going to sell anything. That's relevant for music.

You can't simply make a great track, distribute it, and expect it to catch fire. Doesn't work like that. There is way to much competition these days because of how easy production tools are available to bedroom producers.

If you have money, and push your track in front of millions via the Internet then it will grow in popularity. And the more it grows, the more viral it gets. It's called viral marketing and I seen the campaigns for Avicii's music a while back.
Old 28th February 2014
Quote:
What bothers me are all the entitled musicians who think they are owed something because they are musicians. How about they start writing great music that people will want to buy? They can't, because they're not good enough, that's the bottom line. So instead they bash the popular artists. It's sickening really. When Avicii released Silhouettes, it was really something else. That track is amazing, has tons of vibe. I really think it's creative the way he's merging country and dance.
I think musicians often have discerning taste and experienced ears.

Lets consider the chord progression in this hit. Its a very typical sequence we've heard a million times with predictable melody. Its not surprising to me that musicians bash music like this - its absolutely lacking in depth or complexity. Its lowest common denominator music...thats why its popular! I REALLY dont want to make music like this.

Personally I dont think its jealousy that drives criticism from musicians most of the time. You dont need to be able to beat an achievement in order to levy legitimate criticism...

EDIT - I just listened to Silhouettes and that one has more interesting phrasing to the chord progression/lead although for me still retains the vacuous euphoric flavour that Im not very moved by - but thats my personal taste. Musically it better to my ears - than the country one...
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:

So, in a polarized response to those you encountered who dared to scrutinize robo-culture, you've embraced a knee-jerk routine of unconditionally praising the latest trendy mega-hit, demanding everyone else does the same. You've got your bullhorn and bullwhip, yelling, "all aboard the bandwagon, and no groaning". That is about as non-conformist as North Korean soldiers marching in step with their army.

But apparently, it's all about the inescapable duty to have trendy bandwagon fun, and mustering up the needed mental effort to appreciate the latest mega-hit, and you will tell us exactly how and when we are supposed to be having fun and how and when our level of appreciation is supposed to be elevated. Apparently, it's based on the numbers. The more Youtube views, the higher the Billboard charting, the greater the profits, the greater the obligation to bow, salute, worship and praise.

What you fail to realize, is that while you are certainly entitled to your own personal musical standards (those of a rabid Wall Street trader eying a hot commodity) there are indeed other standards in existence. Not everyone has to worship at the alter of mainstream myopia (where trendiness + profitability = inherent artistic worth) as you obviously do. It's actually much better (and much less mindless) to see a diverse range of opinions responding to a recently hyped trendy release than it is to herd people into a sort of stampeding culture of uniformity where no individualism or variance is tolerated.

By the way, in 2014, complimenting a musician like Avicci for using sampled EDM-style kick drums as some sort of unique artistic achievement is mindlessly setting the bar so low, that it's now ... on the floor.
Old 28th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's your own personal opinion based on your own highly mainstream, shallow, commodity-based musical standards. Why can't you tolerate opinions which artistically strive for something beyond that ? Is there really nothing in existence beyond that in your view ?

That's why I call it mainstream myopia. It's blind to the possibilities beyond the latest hyped trend. Many people actually think there is much more to creativity than a superficial merger of Mumford & Sons + pounding EDM kick = "WOW, AMAZING".

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search