The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avicii's 'Wake Me Up' hits 200 million streams in Spotify. Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 9th March 2014
  #481
Lives for gear
 

(newguy1's previous 2 posts are hypocritical)

...

Avicii is just a young guy (24) so maybe we haven't yet heard the best of him ? I mean, is it all downhill creatively from 24 on ? His instrumental breaks certainly can't get any worse, or can they ?
Old 9th March 2014
  #482
Lives for gear
 
Carnalia Barcus's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by creegstor View Post
I did answer.
<sigh> okay. I don't consider conversations like this worth my time though. I wouldn't say it's conducted in a forthright way, in good faith, with respect, etc., so I won't be spending my time with you any longer. Sorry.
Old 9th March 2014
  #483
Lives for gear
 
Herr Weiss's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldon2975 View Post
Aren't you one of those Bernstein-Schooled, Philharmonic-Immersed masters ? Much in the same way "Classical" casually refers to "Orchestral", the unspecified use of "Bach" usually casually refers to Johann Sebastian Bach, the esteemed composer of "Air on a G string", "The Brandenburg concerti", "Prelude in C minor for solo lute (transposed to D minor for guitar), BWV 999" and "The Toccata and Fugue in D minor, BWV 565".

Or something like that. heh

Good evening eldon2975:

I just have a regular BA in Music, nothing fancy mind you, and is not from Julie Yard Skool, trust me.

Meant no disrespect to Papa Bach who I love dearly. It is just that today, March 8, we are celebrating the 300th anniversary of C.P.E. Bach birthday.
There is a little revival going on, please check the link for details. He did much more than we give him credit for and deserves our gratitude and love.

Five Reasons Why C.P.E. Bach Matters - WQXR


HW
Old 9th March 2014
  #484
Lives for gear
 
Carnalia Barcus's Avatar
 

Just wait until three years from now when we have the 275th anniversary of PDQ Bach's birthday.
Old 9th March 2014
  #485
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnalia Barcus View Post
<sigh> okay. I don't consider conversations like this worth my time though. I wouldn't say it's conducted in a forthright way, in good faith, with respect, etc., so I won't be spending my time with you any longer. Sorry.
<sigh> That's ok. I'm sure you have much better things to do like studying Stravinsky for his (subjective only) brilliance/****ness/whatever...

For myself, I have conducted in perfectly good faith and retained full integrity doing so by telling you exactly what I think. Answering your question in the way that would suit you would require me to surrender these by giving credence to nonsense.

Believe me I get that some old guys just don't like to hear anything they don't like. I continue to enjoy some of your posts nonetheless.
Old 9th March 2014
  #486
Lives for gear
 
Herr Weiss's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnalia Barcus View Post
Just wait until three years from now when we have the 275th anniversary of PDQ Bach's birthday.
Thank you for reminding me, CB.
Carnegie Hall will surely explode when PDQ Bach start playing.
Peter Schickele was very smart to create such a unique, funny and loving character.


HW
Old 9th March 2014
  #487
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Weiss View Post
today, March 8, we are celebrating the 300th anniversary of C.P.E. Bach birthday.
There is a little revival going on, please check the link for details. He did much more than we give him credit for and deserves our gratitude and love.

Five Reasons Why C.P.E. Bach Matters - WQXR
I respect your trying to bring deserved attention to a creative force not adequately known or appreciated.

Brahms struggled to free himself from Beethoven's shadow, and that eventually happened, so there is hope.

I dedicate this piece of music to you, Carl Philipp Emanuel Bach, and to creegstor for slaying the dragon of blind subjectivism.


Johannes Brahms - Piano Concerto No. 2 in B-flat major, Op. 83 - I. Allegro non troppo - YouTube
Old 9th March 2014
  #488
Lives for gear
 
Carnalia Barcus's Avatar
 

Not that I think that creegstor will spend any time thinking about this in a systematic way, and at this point I won't know if he does or not, but I thought later that I should comment on this for the benefit of any present or future lurkers:

* What's to stop your opponent in a dispute from making the same move and saying, "It's self-evident that (this) Bach stinks"? And then when you disagree, making the next move of saying that you have some fundamental deficiency (the claim will be a mental or character deficiency, most likely) in not being able to perceive?/intuit? that it's self-evident that (this) Bach stinks and believing the opposite instead?

* In fact, what's to stop anyone, in any dispute, at any point, from simply saying "You're wrong, because my position is self-evident"?

* Is "self-evidence" indicative of something objective? If we're saying that something is objective, we're saying that it exists in the world outside of minds. Objective things thus are things that we reach knowledge about empirically, and empirical knowledge isn't the realm of self-evidence. (Though platonists on mathematics and logic would disagree at least about mathematics and logic--they'd say they're objective things that we reach some at least some truths about via self-evidence, but is platonism on mathematics and logic really supportable? That's at least controversial, and not just controversial in the fringe, but in the mainstream. And for example the foundational tenets of Euclidean geometry were self-evident . . . until they weren't, where now they only follow given particular conditions.)

* Finally, even if we believed that self-evidence could be apt for non-mathematical and non-logical (not "illogical", just "not a claim specifically about the field of logic") claims, is self-evidence really established merely by claiming that something is self-evident, so that all either side has to do is either say, "P is true because P is self-evident", and "Not-P is true because not-P is self-evident"? Or do we need to do more work there? Usually, at a minimum, self-evidence has to be supported in the manner of informal tautologies, so that if we're claiming that P is true, we have to show that it's not conceivable that not-P. If someone can conceive that not-P, we need to do more work.
Old 9th March 2014
  #489
With regard to self-evident truth in general...

Self-evidence - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia


When one attempts to apply such a construct to aesthetics, one quickly finds himself in the unenviable position of Wile E. Coyote 5 feet after overshooting the edge of the cliff. Seems to me.
Old 9th March 2014
  #490
Gear Maniac
 
FraternalHouse's Avatar
 

Something is Very Fishy About the 200 Million Number???
Old 10th March 2014
  #491
Lives for gear
 
Herr Weiss's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldon2975 View Post
Brahms struggled to free himself from Beethoven's shadow, and that eventually happened, so there is hope.

Hello again eldon2975:

Very gracious of you to offer a musical composition as a birthday gift. I like the way you think; outside the box. Admirable.

Brahms other impediment was of course Richard Wagner.

Only after this second obstacle was removed in 1883 is that Johannes Brahms received his full merits.



HW
Old 6th August 2016
  #492
Lives for gear
 
Heyclown's Avatar
AVICII must have had a good reading this thread
Sorry for the bump
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump