The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Avicii's 'Wake Me Up' hits 200 million streams in Spotify. Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 4th March 2014
  #271
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
Full of inconsistencies and personal opinion touted as fact. Not even going to bother with a point by point. I fully understand your world view and no longer care to convince you otherwise. It'll be nice to have such a dark and cynical perspective in other threads, a nice thankful reminder that I turned away from that path years ago.
What, you actually think I'm exclusively stating absolute facts ? I've said 10-20 times that I'm not. These are opinions, substantiated as strongly as possible. These are speculations, just as others are speculating by embracing the likelihood that Dr. Luke actually writes with deeply noble, artistic motivations and intentions.

I like your stating of anecdotes as facts in previous threads.

"Every music instructor I ever had dismissed pop music" implying that it is actually societally non-conformist to have a knee-jerk, unconditional acceptance of modern pop music.

"In my writing circles, no one ever cites The Beatles as influences", implying that The Beatles songwriting is no longer relevant or has any impact (direct or indirect) on songwriting anymore.

And all this from newguy1 because some dare not to herald Tik-Tok and Wake Me Up as songwriting masterpieces.

I'll say it again. The contemporary pop music paradigm is not worthy of any worship, let alone genuine respect. And the hype machine which artificially props it up is as much of a gimmick as the "magnificent manifestations of creativity" contained in Wake Me Up, Tik-Tok, Applause, All Around The World, etc.

All hype, no substantial depth. Listen to Wake Me Up twice in a row and find yourself craving the 3rd play (or not). The "sheer creative innovation" of Mumford & Sons stylistic emulation + Pounding EDM kick is highly overrated.

You say my perspective is dark and cynical simply because I'm not blindly, foolishly gullible and conformist in a tendency to adhere to and worship the latest hyped 21st century pop music sensation as you do.

Do I have to say IMO 1000 times now ?
Old 4th March 2014
  #272
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
Full of inconsistencies and personal opinion touted as fact.
+1

Unfortunately this is the case for many of eldon2975 posts in this thread.
Gotta admire the endurance though.
Old 4th March 2014
  #273
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquez View Post
From wikipedia:
"The single has peaked at number one in 22 countries to date, ... in addition to reaching the top 10 in six others."

No matter what you think, "wake me up" was and still is actually very popular and a lot of listeners have embraced this song.

Distribution channels today are far less controlled by label marketing power than in the past. People can and do choose what they listen to.
This puts far more pressure on artists, as it is no longer enough to put two good songs and 10 fillers on an album and release it or throw money at a substandard single and hope for the best - it won't work.
Therefore one might actually argue that the increased competition for listeners in todays music marketplace leads to an increase in music quality.
I said it was popular, did you miss that ? But you are underestimating how many are listening to other stuff instead. You are underestimating how many are not impressed with it. You think a clear majority of available listeners like it, but that's impossible to prove. I contend that a (strong) minority of listeners like it. Either way, there should be no peer pressure to conform and jump on the bandwagon, hailing the tune as an innovative masterpiece, when the predictably repetitive gimmick contained in the song is easily heard.

You think the quality of writing has improved, others disagree.

It's all speculation and opinion. It depends on your frame of reference and what standards you choose to embrace.
Old 4th March 2014
  #274
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquez View Post
+1

Unfortunately this is the case for many of eldon2975 posts in this thread.
Gotta admire the endurance though.
And you think you factually proved the quality of writing is better in 21st century pop music by citing hype machine stats ? The production, maybe, but the writing is an excercise in mass dumbnation.

It's all opinion and speculation.

Just use your ears, and judge the song for yourself. And ask yourself, how soon until you get sick of it ? Don't worry though, Gaga's "Applause" is waiting in the wings for heavy rotation on your MP3 player.
Old 4th March 2014
  #275
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquez View Post
Unfortunately this is the case for many of eldon2975 posts in this thread.
Gotta admire the endurance though.
It's actually becomes comical. If I may summarize all of his posts with the following repeated patterns:

1) Caped Crusader: believes that he's rescuing gearslutz from worshiping pop music. Nevermind the fact that gearslutz and virtually any other music discussion forum has already gone nuclear with criticism against pop music in general. But alas, he's shooting his pop gun to add to the heavy artillery already leveled at the state of pop music.

2) Persecution Complex: believes he's being forced to worship Dr Luke and his ilk. (Nevermind the fact that there's nobody in this thread doing that.)

3) This music reality is actually The Matrix controlled by Pop Music Machine: we can't see our own enslavement brought about by Universal Music, Warner Bros, etc.

4) something something...the Beatles... hmmm... hmm... John Lennon, etc

Those are the recurring themes threading itself through all of his posts. Oh, there's also the issue of the rewriting of others' explicit words to force fit them into his response patterns.
Old 4th March 2014
  #276
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason West View Post
It's actually become comical. If I may summarize all of his posts with the following repeated patterns:

1) Caped Crusader: believes that he's rescuing gearslutz from worshiping pop music. Nevermind the fact that gearslutz and virtually any other music discussion forum has already gone nuclear with criticism against pop music in general. But alas, he's shooting his pop gun to add to the heavy artillery already leveled at the state of pop music.

2) Persecution Complex: believes he's being forced to worship Dr Luke and his ilk. (Nevermind the fact that there's nobody in this thread doing that.)

3) This music reality is actually The Matrix controlled by Pop Music Machine: we can't see our own enslavement brought about by Universal Music, Warner Bros, etc.

4) something something...the Beatles... hmmm... hmm... John Lennon, etc

Those are the recurring themes threading itself through all of his posts.

1) Nope. Caped Crusader Billy Corgan makes me look like a zero in that respect. But aren't you the masterfully hypocritical speculator now.

2) When did I ever say I did not voluntarily listen to Dr. Luke and his ilk ? I just said they disproportionately dominate the current pop music scene to the extinction of more sophisticated alternative approaches to songwriting.

3) I'm actually saying the 21st century mega-conglomerate corporatist pop paradigm is shrinking, that's why we get predictable sheets of mechanically assembled rice paper now as songs. It's lost it's vitality, diversity, and most are now going OUTSIDE of the mainstream to find music. Problem with that ? Or do you really secretly worship the machine ?

4) Mock someone who's using The Beatles as a great songwriting reference to aspire to, always a crafty move.
Old 4th March 2014
  #277
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldon2975 View Post
1) Nope. Caped Crusader Billy Corgan makes me look like a zero in that respect. But aren't you the masterfully hypocritical speculator now.
How conveniently you forget you were here earlier to rescue us. Post #70:
eldon2975: "The reason why it's not happening (yet) is because of the preventive, aggressive anticipation of it happening."
Quote:
2) When did I ever say I did not voluntarily listen to Dr. Luke and his ilk ? I just said they disproportionately dominate the current pop music scene to the extinction of more sophisticated alternative approaches to songwriting.
That's not even a response to anything I wrote in #2. (Again, you're rewriting what I actually wrote.) My summary was to the constant repetition of sentences like these:
"Not everyone has to worship at the alter of mainstream myopia"

"And all this from newguy1 because some dare not to herald Tik-Tok and Wake Me Up as songwriting masterpieces."

Nobody here is asking you to herald or worship them. It's just your persecution complex working overtime.
Old 4th March 2014
  #278
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason West View Post

That's not even a response to anything I wrote in #2. (Again, you're rewriting what I actually wrote.) My summary was to the constant repetition of sentences like these:
"Not everyone has to worship at the alter of mainstream myopia"

"And all this from newguy1 because some dare not to herald Tik-Tok and Wake Me Up as songwriting masterpieces."

Nobody here is asking you to herald or worship them. It's just your persecution complex working overtime.

Have to note, since I never defended myself, that I didn't once say anything was a masterpiece. I simply gave props to the unique cross-genre songwriting team, called the song a "cool idea," and called the 200 million plays "a very real achievement."

My pointing out the merits in a few pop songs on the board (and I've stayed out of quite a few pop threads where I don't care for the song) is getting turned into "worshiping the alter of mainstream."
Old 4th March 2014
  #279
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason West View Post
Nobody here is asking you to herald or worship them.
There are simply certain individuals in every forum that do not tolerate dissension from the most recent trendy, mainstream conformist proclamation, in this case, that Mumford & Sons Emulation + Pounding EDM kick sample = masterpiece.

They think those who aren't impressed by the wave of that supposedly magical musical wand are virtual heretics. They want everyone to bow to it, lest they spoil the over-hyped illusion.
Old 4th March 2014
  #280
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
Have to note, since I never defended myself, that I didn't once say anything was a masterpiece.
You implied it was a tremendous creative achievement.

Maybe for gullible, shallow-minded bandwagon fools, it is.
Old 4th March 2014
  #281
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldon2975 View Post
They think those who aren't impressed by the wave of that supposedly magical musical wand are virtual heretics. They want everyone to bow to it, lest they spoil the over-hyped illusion.
LOL!!!

There it is again, the repetition of the same response pattern! See an invisible threat and respond to that threat.

eldon2975, it looks like you've taken over the thread with your ideology. Keep fighting the good fight. Regards,
Old 4th March 2014
  #282
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldon2975 View Post
You implied it was a tremendous creative achievement.

Maybe for gullible, shallow-minded bandwagon fools, it is.

No one's done country/EDM before, was a nice creative idea to combine the two. I'm not sure its "tremendous" but going so huge with a combination of such divergent styles is certainly an achievement. He could have easily come with Levels Part II but instead tried something outside the comfort zone and found success with it.
Old 4th March 2014
  #283
Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
No one's done country/EDM before, was a nice creative idea to combine the two. I'm not sure its "tremendous" but going so huge with a combination of such divergent styles is certainly an achievement.




This was a hit in 1994.. Also by swedes :P
Old 4th March 2014
  #284
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason West View Post
That's not even a response to anything I wrote in #2.
Indirectly, it is. I've stated I think he deserves a place in modern pop songwriting, just not exalted, dominant saint-like status. I've also said I voluntarily listen to him (maybe for laughs, maybe for evidence of decline). You want me to claim I was in some way coerced. You lose.

You are quite the delusional speculator.
Old 4th March 2014
  #285
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason West View Post
LOL!!!

There it is again, the repetition of the same response pattern! See an invisible threat and respond to that threat.
It's not a threat, it (modern mainstream pop music) is a total joke, hype, scam, gimmick, disposable diaper, etc.
Old 4th March 2014
  #286
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepc0re View Post


This was a hit in 1994.. Also by swedes :P
Didn't know that. Its an EDM cover, but still I'll give it to you.

So add a couple of qualifiers to my post, it still stands "only one act has done country/EDM before, 20 years ago. Was a nice creative idea to combine the two again, in the context of 2014, and with an original song behind it. He could have easily kept to the formula and done Levels Part II."
Old 4th March 2014
  #287
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
No one's done country/EDM before, was a nice creative idea to combine the two. I'm not sure its "tremendous" but going so huge with a combination of such divergent styles is certainly an achievement. He could have easily come with Levels Part II but instead tried something outside the comfort zone and found success with it.
Oh, now he conveniently softens and obscures his initial, knee-jerk, easily duped fanboy reaction and subsequent shock that anyone wouldn't find it revolutionary.

It's a gimmick, a cheap trick, a toy, a one night stand, a squib, a commercial, a sheet of rice paper bloated by LOUD AND CLEAR production steroids... etc.

"Hear that Mumford & Sons emulation ? They inserted a pounding, quarter note kick pulse during the mixing stage into it and got the son of Al Green to sing it ! WOW ! I just want to hear it over and over and over...."
Old 4th March 2014
  #288
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldon2975 View Post
You want me to claim I was in some way coerced. You lose.
I never had any notion of wanting you to claim such a thing! Why would I? It has nothing to do with what I wrote. (As if that's any surprise by now.)
Old 4th March 2014
  #289
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldon2975 View Post
Oh, now he conveniently softens and obscures his initial, knee-jerk, easily duped fanboy reaction and subsequent shock that anyone wouldn't find it revolutionary.

It's a gimmick, a cheap trick, a toy, a one night stand, a squib, a commercial, a sheet of rice paper bloated by LOUD AND CLEAR production steroids... etc.

"Hear that Mumford & Sons emulation ? They inserted a pounding, quarter note kick pulse during the mixing stage into it and got the son of Al Green to sing it ! WOW ! I just want to hear it over and over and over...."

Again your straw man factory is churning them out. I didn't say it was revolutionary, just an "achievement" and a unique combination of styles. That one other similar combination of styles happened 20 years ago doesn't change that.
Old 4th March 2014
  #290
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason West View Post
I never had any notion of wanting you to claim such a thing! Why would I? It has nothing to do with what I wrote. (As if that's any surprise by now.)
You really fail to grasp (or tolerate) variations on a theme, or improvised embellishments. You want overtly connected, call & response patterns which adhere to what you expect or need to hear in a very predictable & elementary way. Maybe you've been listening to too much modern pop and it's impaired your ability to identify the more subtle, nebulous & sophisticated reactions to your provocative accusations & speculations.
Old 4th March 2014
  #291
Not the music I like and I'm not a very big fan of Avicii.. but much respect for such big success 200 million streams.. wow
Yes, there are other guys writing stuff for him, there is a good working A&A behind him.. but hey, this is the real deal? You need other people which believe in you and support you because they like what you do.
Old 4th March 2014
  #292
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
Again your straw man factory is churning them out. I didn't say it was revolutionary, just an "achievement" and a unique combination of styles. That one other similar combination of styles happened 20 years ago doesn't change that.
Obviously, you are blind to implications.
Old 4th March 2014
  #293
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldon2975 View Post
Obviously, you are blind to implications.
If by "implications" you mean "however eldon2975 chooses to twist and warp my words to fit his pre-conceived counter arguments" then yes, consider me entirely blind, though your pattern is making itself more and more obvious with each post so I'm a little less blind now than I was at the beginning of this ridiculous thread.
Old 4th March 2014
  #294
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
If by "implications" you mean "however eldon2975 chooses to twist and warp my words to fit his pre-conceived counter arguments" then yes, consider my entirely blind to your thought process.
I really think you are a tad embarrassed at heralding this song for being a groundbreaking act of creative musical artistry. That's not a direct quote, just a justifiable characterization of your contextual reaction earlier on.

Maybe if you studied The Beatles for a few years you wouldn't be so easily duped by such infantile examples of pseudo-innovation ?
Old 4th March 2014
  #295
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldon2975 View Post
You really fail to grasp ...
I readily admit I fail to grasp your non-sequiturs.

I provided concrete example sentences of your resistance against the supposed peer pressure here to worship pop songs and instead...

...you go off on a non-sequitur about how I was thinking your were forced into listening to Dr Luke?!?!

One concept has nothing to do with the other. Either you read sentences in a dyslexic manner or you're just being malicious with your misinterpretations. Either way, your discussion tactics are.... very strange!
Old 4th March 2014
  #296
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eldon2975 View Post
Maybe if you studied The Beatles for a few years you wouldn't be so easily duped by such infantile examples of pseudo-innovation ?
Ohh right. The Beatles. I've heard of them before I think. Can you point me to some of their works? Sounds enlightening!

Are you intentionally trying to be a caricature of your position now? Or is this still for real?
Old 4th March 2014
  #297
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
Ohh right. The Beatles. I've heard of them before I think. Can you point me to some of their works? Sounds enlightening!
The creativity of your sarcasm is rather lacking. Must be Dr. Luke approved !
Old 4th March 2014
  #298
Lives for gear
 

I gotta hand it to Chris Lago.

With his mind exquisitely sharpened by pop songs, he had the foresight to label this nonsense much earlier in the thread: somebody here is arguing just for the sake of arguing.

Me, I was too blind to see the cartoon unfolding.
Old 4th March 2014
  #299
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason West View Post
I readily admit I fail to grasp your non-sequiturs.

I provided concrete example sentences of your resistance against the supposed peer pressure here to worship pop songs and instead...

...you go off on a non-sequitur about how I was thinking your were forced into listening to Dr Luke?!?!

One concept has nothing to do with the other. Either you read sentences in a dyslexic manner or you're just being malicious with your misinterpretations. Either way, your discussion tactics are.... very strange!
If I'm so utterly irrational, why are consistently trying to reason with me ? You zoom in with such aggression that you fail to see beyond sophomoric argumentative mechanics. Most people don't strictly abide by them anyways, they move beyond games of checkers (usually).
Old 4th March 2014
  #300
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason West View Post
I gotta hand it to Chris Lago.

With his mind exquisitely sharpened by pop songs, he had the foresight to label this nonsense much earlier in the thread: somebody here is arguing just for the sake of arguing.

Me, I was too blind to see it earlier.
We were both arguing, it takes 2 to tango.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump