The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Why Do People Hate Rap Music?
Old 23rd February 2014
Gear Maniac

Why Do People Hate Rap Music?

I would like members of the Community to give their opinions of Rap Music...
I am fully aware of all the negative connotations Rap conveys.
What if a Rap Song did not glorify Misogyny, the Gangster Lifestyle, Violence, Homophobia, Drug usage or fowl language.
Would you still Hate it?
I am working with artists who engage in Rap to advocate Political and Social change. As well as a positive up lift for society.

[mod delete]

Last edited by Bender412; 20th April 2019 at 05:23 PM.. Reason: Self promo
Old 23rd February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FraternalHouse View Post
I am working with artists who engage in Rap to advocate Political and Social change. As well as a positive up lift for society.
Having a noble message isn't enough for a lot of folks who avoid rap music. It's the constant speaking delivery of all the lines. A lot of people prefer vocals that "sing" instead of "speak" and rap music doesn't have enough singing.

You then throw in all the controversial and distasteful lyrics and it just gives more reasons for folks to tune it out.

Personally, I have no problem with rap music. However, I can only take 8 or 16 bars of rap music embedded in a song that also has singing. A full 4 minutes of non-stop rap is too monotonous for my ears. But a lot of my friends prefer rap music so they hear pleasure in it that I don't. Or they hear pleasure for longer durations than I can.
Old 23rd February 2014
Lives for gear

I'm a rapper... So I kinda dig it. Everything you are speaking of has been done. Look into conscious hip hop.
Old 23rd February 2014
Lives for gear

I thought most of the rap hate died long ago, we're 30+ years into rap now.

Its fine if you just personally aren't really into it, but I put "rap hate" as the equivalency of people calling rock and roll "devil's music" that's "nothing but noise." Inherently closed minded, self-sheltered, intentionally socially unaware clueless older folks living in a bubble.
Old 23rd February 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by newguy1 View Post
I thought most of the rap hate died long ago, we're 30+ years into rap now.

I put it as the equivalency of people calling rock and roll "devil's music" that's "nothing but noise." Inherently closed minded, self-sheltered, intentionally socially unaware older folks.
The Micheal Dunn Crowd is very much alive and Kickin'.....
Old 23rd February 2014
Lives for gear

I'd be surprised if there were many people in this particular forum who strongly dislike rap (which conventionally is an element of hip-hop music--the overall musical style isn't called "rap", "rapping" is rather a particular style of vocal performance). I like hip-hop, including rapping, a lot myself. But there isn't any genre, and I mean anything conceivable, that I categorically dislike.

Also, although there could be misogynistic lyrics, I think that a large percentage of claims about particular things being misogynistic are way off-base. That's typically the same deal re claims about racism, homophobia, etc.

Anyway, I never dislike anything for lyrical reasons, regardless of what the lyrics are like.

As for folks who dislike rapping, or who dislike hip-hop in general, well . . . you'd need to ask them. I'd imagine there are at least as many reasons that it's disliked among those folks as there are individuals disliking it.
Old 24th February 2014
RTR
Lives for gear

I grew up making hiphop in the 80s on a 8 track tascam reel to reel and a ensoniq ESP-16 and , loved it. I was 13 years old and lived for it, we spent everyday making music. Then I started learning how to play instruments and feel like I advanced in some kind of way.I can not stand rap now days. It is nothing but marketing tool and reminds me of some creepy uncle you try to keep away from your kids. If people opened their eyes and thought form a minute "WHY", no matter what answer you came up with, it would not be good. This is all just my opinion and thought it would be relevant because I started my music life with rap, and kept at it for over 20 years. I think another reason I dont care for it anymore is because IN MY SCREWED UP HEAD, I hear no more talent in the hits than I do from the kid down the street, hes just not as lucky. I know someone will start with the " it takes just as much talent" argument, and maybe they are right, I am just giving my opinion like you asked for. I was around 16 when me and a friend put together most of MC breeds hit together, Leroy Mcmath came to my dads studio with breed and we went right to work, I was supposed to work on this group called "the school girls" first single "ring my bell" that Leroy had signed after breed...but I got in some trouble and was sent away for a bit. I only bring this up because I want you to know that I am not someone that just hates rap and is biased...I used to love it, and I miss it!

EDIT: I am thinking rap/pop music....I love me some Immortal Technique...yes I am a crazy conspiracy theorist.
Old 24th February 2014
Gear Addict

It's important to qualify whether you mean mainstream acceptance or fall out of fashion.

Straight rap is general more accepted but I'd say straight rap is currently out of fashion.
Old 24th February 2014
Deleted User
I don't hate rap. I'm just not crazy about it.

Any music that glorifies killing and thuggery, whether gangsta rap or another genre, is garbage.
Old 24th February 2014
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case View Post

Any music that glorifies killing and thuggery, whether gangsta rap or another genre, is garbage.
I'd wager you probably hate the perceived culture of it more so then as a instrument of expression
Old 24th February 2014
Deleted User
Quote:
Originally Posted by stclair View Post
I'd wager you probably hate the perceived culture of it more so then as a instrument of expression
I have no idea of what you are talking about. Perceived culture? I've come several times close to being murdered. Nothing perceived. It's all been too real. I've lived in some really wacko neighborhoods. In the happy rapping area of my city there are assaults and/or murders almost every night.

Although some rap lyrics are very cool from a songwriting standpoint. Here's one:
Ice Cube - Today was a Good Day, an oldie but goodie. Great song.
Old 24th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case View Post

Many are born into a "garbage" of a life, systematically being held down while the very few individuals that find a way to escape are held by everyone else as ridiculous proof that ALL can escape. Pretty much everyone they know from birth either gets killed or makes their lives a little bit better through thuggery.

And some have the nerve to make music about it.

I get that its unappealing, but I don't think it needs to be so quickly dismissed.
Old 24th February 2014
Gear Addict

People dislike it because of the mainstream.
Old 24th February 2014
Lives for gear
thats crazy , i probly grew up listening to mc breed tunes u produced.
small world,gotta give my props to the ol skool
Old 24th February 2014
Gear Nut

Why do people hate any kind of music? Because they do. I can't stand most country music. I have a few reasons, but I'm sure fans of country music would dispute me and tell me I don't understand. Neither of us would be right, as it's an opinion. It is what it is.

And frankly, I don't think the question was posed because of some desire for philosophical debate. It was posted in order to share and promote the linked Youtube clip in the OP. Which is fine by me. Good luck with the project.
Old 24th February 2014
Lives for gear

I liked snoop dog and NWA and Dr Dray still have the samples.

I DO hate the demise of the electric guitar and rock music.
So Rap and pop must die.

Why cant it co exist? Who decided that rock guitars had to go for rap to be "in" ?
I love my ASR10 and bang the beats but I like the guitar.

Rock and roll will never die? But its on its death bed.

Why do we need to take some kind of marching orders from MTV?

Live and let die?
This is a discussion for musicologists and PHD guys but give me the rock guitar ~Please~
Old 24th February 2014
Gear Nut

I really, really dislike the whole "ghetto" aspect to it. I understand its' roots are in the dirty urban streets, but when sheltered suburban kids who couldn't possibly understand those struggles (I was a sheltered suburban kid myself, so I'm allowed to knock em') start walking around with that same attitude, THEN I have a problem. It's one thing for them to enjoy the music, I have no right to slam em for that. But when I was growing up, I went to school with this group of upper class kids who discovered rap music & hip hop culture and started pushing their tongues out harder when they spoke, started sagging their jeans and wearing ratty clothes, you get the picture.

It's the classic tale of the fans ruining it for everyone.

Is it a legitimate art form? Absolutely, without a doubt. Is it horribly misinterpreted by many people? I'd say yes.

There's my two cents.

Cheers!

Brandon
Old 24th February 2014
Gear Head

People hate rap music? Mainstream rap sounds so mindless sometimes, even though there are good songs from time to time that I listen to. These days, I prefer conscious hip hop over the rest.
Old 24th February 2014
Lives for gear

If you enjoy harmony and melody, a lot of the time you're going to be disappointed by straight rapping-over-a-beat rap. It's not a moral thing. You don't have to like rap and you don't have to give a reason for not liking it. If you hate gangsta and commercial rap for the misogyny and boneheaded thuggery, there's plenty of other stuff out there.
Old 24th February 2014
Lives for gear

Name more than 15 chord progressions used in rap.......

Gets pretty boring

Oh yeah, many times there is no melody either

so..... pretty much anyone with a computer can make rap music, not much talent required.

That being said, the above makes the rap songs that ARE actually good stand out much more. It is hard to make a truly beautiful painting with 3 colors, but when it is done, it is impressive.
Old 24th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagelove View Post
Name more than 15 chord progressions used in rap.......

Gets pretty boring

Oh yeah, many times there is no melody either

so..... pretty much anyone with a computer can make rap music, not much talent required.

That being said, the above makes the rap songs that ARE actually good stand out much more. It is hard to make a truly beautiful painting with 3 colors, but when it is done, it is impressive.
Anyone with a computer can make any kind of music. Not to mention tons of famous songs have only 3 chords, kind of a weak way to point at rap.

Rap is about lyrics. Hiphop has the most advanced lyricism of any genre. Some of these guys are REALLY incredible writers.
Old 24th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay- View Post
I liked snoop dog and NWA and Dr Dray still have the samples.

I DO hate the demise of the electric guitar and rock music.
So Rap and pop must die.

Why cant it co exist? Who decided that rock guitars had to go for rap to be "in" ?
I love my ASR10 and bang the beats but I like the guitar.

Rock and roll will never die? But its on its death bed.

Why do we need to take some kind of marching orders from MTV?

Live and let die?
This is a discussion for musicologists and PHD guys but give me the rock guitar ~Please~
This one really throws me off... demise of the electric guitar? How many different electric guitars did they have back in the day, 6 or 7? Sweetwater has over 2000 as of right now.

More people play guitar now then ever, and are more skillful then ever. Have you seen these kids absolutely shredding 8 strings? And who is really paying any attention to what MTV is into. Do they even play music? I only ever see Teen Mom on.
Old 24th February 2014
Lives for gear

I hate all genre's equally. There's a small percentage of it that is good. The rest is just really boring musically and lyrically.
Old 24th February 2014
Gear Head

Rap music points out society faults.
Old 24th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by inverted314 View Post
hiphop has the most advanced lyricism of any genre

rrreeeeeaaaaalllyyyyy......
Old 24th February 2014
Lives for gear
Because it is missing a 'C'......
Old 24th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveswisher View Post
I hate all genre's equally. There's a small percentage of it that is good. The rest is just really boring musically and lyrically.
You're a Sturgeon's Law guy? That seems to be a fairly normal disposition.

I'm abnormal (haha), well or "Topsy Turvy", a "Reverse Sturgeon's Law" guy--I tend to feel that ninety percent of everything is pretty good.

There are some musical genres I don't like as much as others, but there are no musical genres I dislike, and no genres where I feel that 90% of the stuff in them is crap. And there are plenty of genres where I feel that over 99% of the works under them are pretty good. The genres I don't like so much still shoot above 50% for me in my experience of them.
Old 24th February 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inverted314 View Post
Have you seen these kids absolutely shredding 8 strings?
Old 24th February 2014
I won't say I hate it, but I find very little of it inspires me. I grew up appreciating intelligent, conversational topics. Rap seems to always focus on ego stroking: "I gots money, babes and guns". Driving around with a posse, but in reality, they're probably paid actors, rented cars, and clothing from designers just for advertising.
To see how obvious it is, watch an amateur rapper to see what they aspire to be. I saw on Tosh.0, a white kid waving his gun around, talking about how he had sex with every woman in the world, and he owns 400 houses. That's what rappers hold as inspiration; material wealth and power over others. A statement of how humans are evolving incorrectly, and rap helps to perpetuate it.

Then there's the education aspect. If a young, black teenager chooses to be good in school to become a doctor/lawyer/engineer etc., his peers ostracize him; "You losing your culture. You wanna be white?".
So, in order to be black, you have to be an uneducated thug with a poor grip on the English language?

To me, GOOD MUSIC has always been a balance of interesting melody and interesting rhythm. Occasionally, a good song comes along that's mostly rhythmic, or mostly melodic, but gravity always returns the balance.
Rap is primarily rhythmic, with the exception of a looped 4 or 8 bar pattern, or they 'borrow' the melodic hook from an old, successful tune.

I have liked many rap songs, but I see it as attempting to delay mankinds' intellectual evolution.
Old 24th February 2014
Lives for gear

For me rap has generally been either predictable or lyrically dull and the drum loops can get so monotonous. I would listen more if there was a greater mix of singing, actual drums and bass and less "dumb ghetto" content. Here are rap albums I like.
Eminem - slim shady lp
Missy Elliot -various
Blakrok
Max Normal - songs from the mall

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search